Assault! [ Why did you eliminate it, 343 ? ]

Since launch, I’ve mentioned this a couple times, and the usual response is-
“be patient- 343 said they would be rolling out other game types as the weeks and months progress”.

Well?

Look- I don’t know about you, but I’ve been a CRAZY avid Halo fan since it’s inception, and I quickly found that the sweet spot for Halo was the Trifecta of-

SLAYER : CAPTURE THE FLAG : ASSAULT

Sure, there have always been other ‘filler’ game types- KOTH, Territories, VIP (remember that one? yeesh!) , Headhunter, Stockpile, etc.

But ASSAULT, whether it was Neutral Assault, One Bomb, or Two Bomb, was such a perfect balance of coordination, stealth, trickery, vehicular genius, etc. that it BAFFLES MY MIND as to why 343 would allow such an iconic HALO element to fall haphazardly onto the cutting room floor.

Am I alone in this, or do you guys wanna just sit around and gripe about “DMR Bloom” or some crap?

> Since launch, I’ve mentioned this a couple times, and the usual response is-
> “be patient- 343 said they would be rolling out other game types as the weeks and months progress”.
>
> Well?
>
> Look- I don’t know about you, but I’ve been a CRAZY avid Halo fan since it’s inception, and I quickly found that the sweet spot for Halo was the Trifecta of-
>
> SLAYER : CAPTURE THE FLAG : ASSAULT
>
> Sure, there have always been other ‘filler’ game types- KOTH, Territories, VIP (remember that one? yeesh!) , Headhunter, Stockpile, etc.
>
> But ASSAULT, whether it was Neutral Assault, One Bomb, or Two Bomb, was such a perfect balance of coordination, stealth, trickery, vehicular genius, etc. that it BAFFLES MY MIND as to why 343 would allow such an iconic HALO element to fall haphazardly onto the cutting room floor.
>
> Am I alone in this, or do you guys wanna just sit around and gripe about “DMR Bloom” or some crap?

When we gripe, we gripe about in-game ranks and failed childhoods…I joke! We just really hate ordnance…or at least, I do. That’s my gripe…

As far as I know it was evolved into extraction.

I have no doubt it will return in halo 5. They did push the box too far, so they will have had to cut content. The game was on two discs, and they had to give the option to use one disc or the other for those without HDDs, so the full gametypes will have had to be on the disc. And gametypes will probably run pretty large when you think about it. Many references and variables and what not.

However, I do once again long for 16 player neutral bomb on valhalla. Holy -Yoink- that was fun.

> As far as I know it was evolved into extraction.
>
> I have no doubt it will return in halo 5. They did push the box too far, so they will have had to cut content. The game was on two discs, and they had to give the option to use one disc or the other for those without HDDs, so the full gametypes will have had to be on the disc. And gametypes will probably run pretty large when you think about it. Many references and variables and what not.
>
> However, I do once again long for 16 player neutral bomb on valhalla. Holy Yoink! that was fun.

How is extraction anything like Assault?
Territories, maybe…or Land Grab…but not assault.

What made assault so awesome was the fact that, if you don’t have eyes-on the bomb , it COULD be ANYWHERE, and you were really encouraged to communicate with your team for a coordinated victory. (Team Communication- another core Halo element that has fallen by the wayside)

As for the game types “Not fitting on the disc”, I call baloney.
It’s something that could be achieved with the current ODDBALL setup, with a few minor Label additions.

Label the ODDBALL “As_Bomb” and label a capture plate “AS_GOAL”, and you would, in essence , have ASSAULT.

“But ASSAULT, whether it was Neutral Assault, One Bomb, or Two Bomb, was such a perfect balance of coordination, stealth, trickery, vehicular genius, etc. that it BAFFLES MY MIND as to why 343 would allow such an iconic HALO element to fall haphazardly onto the cutting room floor.”

This is exactly how I feel. Even though I was never a huge fan of the gametype it was iconic to Halo and it was so fun to play from time to time.

Right now, the closest thing we have is the “Grifball” rule set.

Which is fine, if you want to be BRIGHT YELLOW with a “KILL” icon above your head while you’re sneaking the bomb into the base.

I should point out, by the way, that though I DO miss it in matchmaking, my primary purpose for posting had to do with Custom Games, since that is about 75% of the Halo I play.

Assault really was a core gametype. I’d have rather had assault than oddball when it came down to it. In every other game grifball was a variation of assault, so what’s the difference?

> Assault really was a core gametype. I’d have rather had assault than oddball when it came down to it. In every other game grifball was a variation of assault, so what’s the difference?

Precisely.

I’d rather have Assault than:
Oddball,
Extraction,
Dominion,
Regicide,
and King of the Hill COMBINED!

I personally always liked Shotgun Assault, it was one of those rare things where it was fun no matter if your team won or lost.

> > Assault really was a core gametype. I’d have rather had assault than oddball when it came down to it. In every other game grifball was a variation of assault, so what’s the difference?
>
> Precisely.
>
> I’d rather have Assault than:
> Oddball,
> Extraction,
> Dominion,
> Regicide,
> and King of the Hill COMBINED!

I’ve thought assault was kind of pointless…ctf is much better and oddball is WAY better then assault and even KOTH.I think TEAM regicide is ok…extraction and dominion,ya i can agree with you there.

Warning bells went off in my mind when I heard H4 would launch without Assault. It’s a fundamental gametype in Halo just as important as Flag games, so to have it suddenly not be there… yeah warning bells.

Why is it not there? Laziness? Lack of time to implement? When you see that 343i put so much effort into minority gametypes like Grifball you realise that it can’t be lack of time to implement… so they just couldn’t be bothered?

Or worse… they honestly didn’t think Assault was a big part of Halo?

> I’ve thought assault was kind of pointless…ctf is much better and oddball is WAY better then assault and even KOTH.I think TEAM regicide is ok…extraction and dominion,ya i can agree with you there.

You realise that Assault started as a variant of CTF right? It’s reverse Flag.

It baffles my mind that 343 removed assault. Extraction, regicide, and dominion are VERY poor excuses for gametypes. Assault has always been the most realistic gametype in halo besides slayer (take the bomb, plant it, and destroy the enemy base).

It also saddens me that they removed invasion (even thought there aren’t elites spartan v spartan would work perfectly fine as well) which was a far more creative and fun gametype than dominion. Lets face it, NO ONE likes dominion.

From the looks of it there were a LOT of gametypes cut

Link

Some of them sounded very interesting… Football? Cops vs Robbers? The help mummy gametype? Old sounds for race and what not?