Assault Rifle vs. Storm Rifle (mechanics)

No, this isn’t an old thread … it’s more of a question about Hitscan & Projectile mechanics.

I’ve always used the Assault Rifle, which has very similar stats to the Storm Rifle. in terms of kill time, rate of fire, etc. Now, I’ve honestly never given the Storm Rifle much of a chance in Matchmaking, I’ve just stuck to my AR.
But the AR is hitscan and the Storm Rifle is projectile … how much of a difference does that make, if any?
Hit scan is immediate, right? So long as your reticle is within the hitbox when you pull the trigger.
Whereas with projectiles, a projectile that is assigned to you must travel from your weapon to your target and impact in order for the hit to register … am I correct here?
To me, projectile makes more sense (it’s how guns actually work) but with lag and a whole mess of other variables, doesn’t that give hitscan the leg up?

I’m about to go test it out, but what do you guys think? Should I switch to the Storm Rifle or stick the AR?

You’re right about how hitscan and projectile weapons work. Honestly they both have similar and different advantages in the same field (CQC) so you can go either way.

If you are good at aiming and leading your shots slightly if they have good strafe, then the Storm Rifle will marginally outperform the Assault Rifle. If you are more on the mediocre side with those basic skills, the AR will outperform the Storm Rifle for you.

The SR has a bigger skill gap (however small that may be, it is still an automatic).

I use the SR more than I use my AR. Probably because it strips shields down faster.

> I use the SR more than I use my AR. Probably because it strips shields down faster.

That’s actually a myth at this point. That feature is almost defunct in Halo 4’s sandbox.

Interesting. I always use hitscan automatics. I have an awful lag because of my connection. I can’t improve the connection, so I’m stuck with the AR. I don’t know the full potential of the Storm Rifle.

Definetly use AR, storm rifle is pretty useless. Storm rifle is fun to use only when you play against unexperienced players.

> Interesting. I always use hitscan automatics. I have an awful lag because of my connection. I can’t improve the connection, so I’m stuck with the AR. I don’t know the full potential of the Storm Rifle.

Lets just say it’s superior.

If you can properly lead your shots and strafe at same time, using the SR will be like opening a can of whupYoink! on the other team.

The armor ability you use will greatly affect your performance as well. I think Thruster Pack or Hologram are the best choices, since the former allows you to get closer to the enemy or dodge their shots, while the latter allows you to get the first few shots, if used properly.

I never felt like lag altered my performance. Also, since the SR’s ammunition is not hit-scan, being close to the enemy is an even bigger factor. I find setting up ambushes is the best way to kill people in MM.