Assault Rifle - Bursts?

Apparently you do a lot more damage in Halo when you shoot your assault rifle in bursts. Wait, damage? Or more accurate? I don’t know.

Anyways, bursts work for me in Halo 3 but in Halo: CE, I think it is better to fire rapidly and not fire in bursts. What are bursts exactly supposed to do? That’s one question I have. Another, is how to fire them. Do you just slightly “tap” the trigger button? Do you hold the trigger button down for a few seconds?

Another, in Halo: Reach is it better to fire in bursts or just spray? Will aiming at the head do more damage? What area is best to do most damage with an assault rifle? When is the assault rifle good for use?

Thanks. I hope my thread gets a few helpful replies, because I really want to know lol

> When is the assault rifle good for use?

Never.

As TU has ruined the AR + punch or punch + AR I don’t use it much, I only use it as a ‘crap, I need to reload’ weapon, spray if you’re close, burst if you’re far away.

I actually kinda like the AR, at least in close-quarters, rather than just trying to DMR people to death!

You burst the Assault Rifle by tapping the trigger, causing a small stream of bullets to come out of the gun and (surprise surprise) go where your reticule is. If you’ve played Call of Duty, you’ve probably bursted your Assault Rifle at some point or another. This tends to be more accurate at mid- to long-range fights, and can help conserve ammo if you’re in some big Assault Rifle fight that doesn’t involve rushing blindly at the person and pressing B (I use Recon) when you get close enough.

As for faster killing time or more damage, that’s entirely false. The DMR and the Pistol both deal more overall damage to shields than an Assault Rifle, and a five-shot from either human precision weapon will most likely take a person out using an Assault Rifle, spraying or bursting otherwise. They’re also (gasp) more accurate, so someone that can keep a steady eye on the reticule will probably get the kill even if both shields burst at the same time.

The AR could probably beat the Needle Rifle in a mid-range fight, given how the Needle Rifle requires eight shots to the five of the human weapons, but given how you can easily empty your magazine just trying to break their shields, the Needle Rifle would probably still win if you didn’t kill him with that one clip.

Halo is really designed with precision weapons in mind, from the Pistol in the original to the DMR in this game. Assault Rifles are really just there to fill the automatic weapon quota; they’re not really that useful in your hands. I’d just say to go for the pistol or DMR or even a bloody Needle Rifle whenever you get the chance.

In COD, burst firing the Automatics is quite effective at longer ranges. It helps with reducing recoil and spread.

In Halo Reach? There is some use to burst firing but don’t EVER expect to beat a DMR/NR with that technique. It’s not effective and don’t believe anyone who says you can beat people at range with burst firing the AR.

It works in COD because no one has shields and the kill times are fast. In Halo Reach, burst firing at long range is just going to get you kill/laughed at.

It’s good for assists

The assault rifle is dependent upon accuracy vs. rate of Fire.

Simple, fire all the way when in close contact and target the main body, the more bullets that hit the more damage you do.

When at a range use bursts, but why are you using this weapon at a range? DMR, Pistol, I can think of about a dozen other weapons, heck almost every weapon I would use at a range before this one.

AR is good full auto for softening up someone for a beatdown, as long as youre not a derp and remember to break shield first . Watching the reticle with 3 round bursts vs another AR user will make you have bullets left in the clip to finish the kill while the other guy is reloading. You wont win at range against a dmr though, which some people think is some sort of breathtaking revelation…

TBH, guns useful ranges are pretty well designated by the distance they can get red reticle or not. AR goes out to the short side of mid range.

Whenever I burst against another AR, and the kid spams it, he always wins. i don’t get it. Times like that make me think the Reach weapon balance is broken. Spamming AR shouldn’t beat bursting AR in medium range. Same goes for DMR. I carefully pace my shots, and a kid comes running up spamming the living hell out of the poor thing, and kills me.

> Whenever I burst against another AR, and the kid spams it, he always wins. i don’t get it. Times like that make me think the Reach weapon balance is broken. Spamming AR shouldn’t beat bursting AR in medium range. Same goes for DMR. I carefully pace my shots, and a kid comes running up spamming the living hell out of the poor thing, and kills me.

Maybe they’ll put a “Weapon is jammed” penalty for overding it in a future game. “Press RB repeatedly to unja…nevermind. YOU DEAD, SUCKA!”

> Whenever I burst against another AR, and the kid spams it, he always wins. i don’t get it. Times like that make me think the Reach weapon balance is broken. Spamming AR shouldn’t beat bursting AR in medium range. Same goes for DMR. I carefully pace my shots, and a kid comes running up spamming the living hell out of the poor thing, and kills me.

Honestly sounds like you’re not far enough away to be bursting. Bursting alone doesn’t win fights, riding the edge of bursting and spraying that will land the most hits for your current distance does.

It’s like the people who complain that they lose DMR fights to spammers that are 5 feet away from them, of course the spammer will win they can’t avoid hitting you that close.

> > Whenever I burst against another AR, and the kid spams it, he always wins. i don’t get it. Times like that make me think the Reach weapon balance is broken. Spamming AR shouldn’t beat bursting AR in medium range. Same goes for DMR. I carefully pace my shots, and a kid comes running up spamming the living hell out of the poor thing, and kills me.
>
> Honestly sounds like you’re not far enough away to be bursting. Bursting alone doesn’t win fights, riding the edge of bursting and spraying that will land the most hits for your current distance does.
>
> It’s like the people who complain that they lose DMR fights to spammers that are 5 feet away from them, of course the spammer will win they can’t avoid hitting you that close.

Spam the DMR at AR Range. Becomes a sort of knockoff AR.
Burst the AR at DMR Range. Becomes a sort of knockoff DMR.
Not doing it at those ranges? You’re going to have a baddd time.

The AR is meant for full auto, so of course bursting at very close range will lose. But the accuracy was still much improved for long range in this game at least.

Assualt Rifle is, arguably, useful for rapidly taking down shields.

It’s also good for annoying a sniper, not giving them the chance to scope as you mince down their shields

The AR does more damage in a given time if you use burst fire because more of your bullets hit than when firing full-auto (except at close distance). Even the small delay between bursts so that bloom resets doesn’t matter (much).

However, I have yet to play with/against someone who actually burst-fires the AR. All everyone ever does is squeeze RT until the magazine is empty or the target dead.

> The AR does more damage in a given time if you use burst fire because more of your bullets hit than when firing full-auto (except at close distance). Even the small delay between bursts so that bloom resets doesn’t matter (much).
>
> However, I have yet to play with/against someone who actually burst-fires the AR. All everyone ever does is squeeze RT until the magazine is empty or the target dead.

I happen to find myself being the only person to burst-fire and I only have over 600 kills with it.

> > The AR does more damage in a given time if you use burst fire because more of your bullets hit than when firing full-auto (except at close distance). Even the small delay between bursts so that bloom resets doesn’t matter (much).
> >
> > However, I have yet to play with/against someone who actually burst-fires the AR. All everyone ever does is squeeze RT until the magazine is empty or the target dead.
>
> I happen to find myself being the only person to burst-fire and I only have over 600 kills with it.

I rarely use it, but when I do I am rarely in the range of needing to burst fire it.

Bursting an AR at medium-range will win.

Against another AR, but not against anything else, because the AR’s damage output is too low to be effective even when each bullet hits. :\