Assault rifle and the magnum

343 needs to nerf the magnum little and make the assault rifle a little bit more powerful I felt like in halo 5 most people used the magnum more than the assault which is supposed to be your primary and the magnum is supposed to be your secondary and I feel like the magnum was little op for your secondary and I feel like the assault rifle was a little underpowered

Uhh… There is no magnum. They ditched it for a normal pistol.

There is no magnum. It’s now a sidekick and it’s seems very week as it shot the jackal 5 times before it deployed its shield and couldn’t kill it. I’m not sure if the assault rifle is meant to be the main weapon in the game as they introduced loads of new weapons that we have seen and some that we haven’t seen. For example the VK78 Commando could be the new magnum for all we know.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274951671497;1:
> 343 needs to nerf the magnum little and make the assault rifle a little bit more powerful I felt like in halo 5 most people used the magnum more than the assault which is supposed to be your primary and the magnum is supposed to be your secondary and I feel like the magnum was little op for your secondary and I feel like the assault rifle was a little underpowered

I AGREE!!! ITS SOOO LAME AND BORING WHEN EVERYONE USES THE OP MAGNUM!!! IM SOOO SICK OF IT. THE AR SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD IN ITS MEDIUM RANGE BUT THE MAGNUM IS PERFECT IN ALL AREAS EXPECT LONG BUT ITS STILL GREAT IN LONG RANGE. IF EVERYONE IS USING THE MAGNUM AS THEIR GO TO BASE WEAPON THEN YOU KNOW THE WEAPONS ARE BROKEN

I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.

> 2535450090892156;4:
> > 2533274951671497;1:
> > 343 needs to nerf the magnum little and make the assault rifle a little bit more powerful I felt like in halo 5 most people used the magnum more than the assault which is supposed to be your primary and the magnum is supposed to be your secondary and I feel like the magnum was little op for your secondary and I feel like the assault rifle was a little underpowered
>
> I AGREE!!! ITS SOOO LAME AND BORING WHEN EVERYONE USES THE OP MAGNUM!!! IM SOOO SICK OF IT. THE AR SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD IN ITS MEDIUM RANGE BUT THE MAGNUM IS PERFECT IN ALL AREAS EXPECT LONG BUT ITS STILL GREAT IN LONG RANGE. IF EVERYONE IS USING THE MAGNUM AS THEIR GO TO BASE WEAPON THEN YOU KNOW THE WEAPONS ARE BROKEN

I’d recommend turning off your caps lock in the future. Posts like these tend to attract the attention of monitors because they look like spam.

I disagree because I like it when Halo is a precision weapon dominant game. I really didn’t like it when the automatic guns were so op at launch. I think the magnum in H5 is perfect, wish it would be the starting weapon for Infinite :frowning:

1 Like

> 2533275031939856;7:
> I disagree because I like it when Halo is a precision weapon dominant game. I really didn’t like it when the automatic guns were so op at launch. I think the magnum in H5 is perfect, wish it would be the starting weapon for Infinite :frowning:

That’s why BR starts are a thing. The pistol doesn’t need to be a second/or better BR/dmr.
There needs to be a balance and when your pistol is out shooting the RIP shotgun. Something is wrong.

> 2533274801675813;8:
> > 2533275031939856;7:
> > I disagree because I like it when Halo is a precision weapon dominant game. I really didn’t like it when the automatic guns were so op at launch. I think the magnum in H5 is perfect, wish it would be the starting weapon for Infinite :frowning:
>
> That’s why BR starts are a thing. The pistol doesn’t need to be a second/or better BR/dmr.
> There needs to be a balance and when your pistol is out shooting the RIP shotgun. Something is wrong.

I’m satisfied with BR starts but still preferred H5’s magnum starts. I thought it was very fun pre BR change when the magnum was a viable weapon and you could pick up a BR which was better at the time. It’s not that big of a deal to me, just preferred the magnum starts a little more.

What do you mean by out shooting the shotty though? Shotty is a 1 hit kill. Unless there’s some bug I don’t know about you shouldn’t be able to out shoot it with the magnum.

> 2533275031939856;9:
> > 2533274801675813;8:
> > > 2533275031939856;7:
> > > I disagree because I like it when Halo is a precision weapon dominant game. I really didn’t like it when the automatic guns were so op at launch. I think the magnum in H5 is perfect, wish it would be the starting weapon for Infinite :frowning:
> >
> > That’s why BR starts are a thing. The pistol doesn’t need to be a second/or better BR/dmr.
> > There needs to be a balance and when your pistol is out shooting the RIP shotgun. Something is wrong.
>
> I’m satisfied with BR starts but still preferred H5’s magnum starts. I thought it was very fun pre BR change when the magnum was a viable weapon and you could pick up a BR which was better at the time. It’s not that big of a deal to me, just preferred the magnum starts a little more.
>
> What do you mean by out shooting the shotty though? Shotty is a 1 hit kill. Unless there’s some bug I don’t know about you shouldn’t be able to out shoot it with the magnum.

Sure mag starts are fine, but they should be pair with something other than ARs. Cuz the AR is basically a paperweight in 5. Idk I prefer the reach/4 pistol where it was a gamble on killing people. It work beautifully or it didn’t. Halo 5 pistol just feels like the BR in 2. The one gun you will ever need in the game.

As for out Yoinking! a shotgun, you slow down when you get shot. You can throw 5 shots into someone’s head before they reach you in shotgun range. Also in cqc the pistol can pull off those 5 shots faster than the shotgun can shoot twice. So if you miss your first shot with the shotgun you are dead.

> 2533274801675813;10:
> > 2533275031939856;9:
> > > 2533274801675813;8:
> > > > 2533275031939856;7:
> > > > I disagree because I like it when Halo is a precision weapon dominant game. I really didn’t like it when the automatic guns were so op at launch. I think the magnum in H5 is perfect, wish it would be the starting weapon for Infinite :frowning:
> > >
> > > That’s why BR starts are a thing. The pistol doesn’t need to be a second/or better BR/dmr.
> > > There needs to be a balance and when your pistol is out shooting the RIP shotgun. Something is wrong.
> >
> > I’m satisfied with BR starts but still preferred H5’s magnum starts. I thought it was very fun pre BR change when the magnum was a viable weapon and you could pick up a BR which was better at the time. It’s not that big of a deal to me, just preferred the magnum starts a little more.
> >
> > What do you mean by out shooting the shotty though? Shotty is a 1 hit kill. Unless there’s some bug I don’t know about you shouldn’t be able to out shoot it with the magnum.
>
> Sure mag starts are fine, but they should be pair with something other than ARs. Cuz the AR is basically a paperweight in 5. Idk I prefer the reach/4 pistol where it was a gamble on killing people. It work beautifully or it didn’t. Halo 5 pistol just feels like the BR in 2. The one gun you will ever need in the game.
>
> As for out Yoinking! a shotgun, you slow down when you get shot. You can throw 5 shots into someone’s head before they reach you in shotgun range. Also in cqc the pistol can pull off those 5 shots faster than the shotgun can shoot twice. So if you miss your first shot with the shotgun you are dead.

I agree I do not like the AR as a starting weapon. Personally I wish there were no automatics, just precision weapons for 4v4 like the comp playlist. I don’t like autos in Halo period, regardless of which Halo is the topic.

The magnum is that only gun you’ll ever need now but it wasn’t always like that. The BR used to be better but they nerfed it to the point the magnum is better, I didn’t like that. Now in Infinite the BR will just be that weapon. You’ll never need to pick up other weapons besides power weapons like H2/3. Which again I’m fine with, but I just liked that the pistol was actually good with the BR still being the better choice in H5 (again not ever since the BR nerfs though).

As for the shotgun, isn’t that how it’s supposed to function? If you’re running towards someone trying to get close enough to use the shotty and they’re aware of you, you’re gonna have a bad time. Should be using the magnum at mid range and then if you’re close enough use the shotty, gotta be sneaky with it. When you are close enough to use it and you miss your one shot chance AND the other guy is good enough to 5 you before you can even fire a second shot I think they deserved that kill because you choked and they were good enough to capitalize on it. You’ve also got melee though so if you’re within range for a melee and choke your one shot kill with the shotty you can melee to finish them off before they can double melee or 3 shot beatdown. I don’t think the shotgun should be OP I think it would just get frustrating.

True, the Assault Rifle is kinda bad in H5. It has a long ttk compared to magnum, but it does headshot easily up close.

BR starts will almost undoubtedly be the competitive norm in Infinite, especially with the Sidekick being a dedicated sidearm weapon and 343i’s awesome new emphasis on minimizing weapon redundancy meaning if we see the Carbine, DMR, NR, or Light Rifle in the game they will probably be changed heavily to distance themselves from the utility role, heck the Pulse Carbine already leads me to believe they won’t even bother reworking the Carbine or NR as it seems as close to a Covenant BR equivalent as we are going to get, and looks like it will fill that role splendidly (honestly can’t stress enough how hyped I am to try it out). But I won’t be surprised if we see AR/Sidekick as the default for at least the first few months. And I kind of want them to experiment with Commando starts as well, as it could end up playing much better than AR starts and become the new Auto starts norm if it does.

> 2533274873409464;5:
> I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.

not every gun needs to be useful.

> 2533274840624875;14:
> > 2533274873409464;5:
> > I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.
>
> not every gun needs to be useful.

I’d have to disagree on that. In the real world, every gun is useful because it can at the very least fling a projectile at great distances in order to cause damage. In that regard, all guns are useful. The only not useful gun is one that can’t be fired. But there’s little reason to take the real world into account, so we can ignore that argument.

With regard to gaming though, it takes time and effort for a programmer or a developer or designer to create and render a gun and write the code that makes it function (and probably other things that my non-technical mind is unaware of). So why would they put all that effort into a gun that is intentionally not useful? And to add to that point, why waste the space on the hard drive? Why write a piece of coding that takes up memory within the game engine just to include a useless gun?

Every gun needs to be useful for something or it shouldn’t be in the game at all.

> 2535435902217648;15:
> > 2533274840624875;14:
> > > 2533274873409464;5:
> > > I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.
> >
> > not every gun needs to be useful.
>
> I’d have to disagree on that. In the real world, every gun is useful because it can at the very least fling a projectile at great distances in order to cause damage. In that regard, all guns are useful. The only not useful gun is one that can’t be fired. But there’s little reason to take the real world into account, so we can ignore that argument.
>
> With regard to gaming though, it takes time and effort for a programmer or a developer or designer to create and render a gun and write the code that makes it function (and probably other things that my non-technical mind is unaware of). So why would they put all that effort into a gun that is intentionally not useful? And to add to that point, why waste the space on the hard drive? Why write a piece of coding that takes up memory within the game engine just to include a useless gun?
>
> Every gun needs to be useful for something or it shouldn’t be in the game at all.

its not the real world

If all guns are useful, why use all guns? You need crap tools in your sandbox so you go for the good tools. At the end of the day. some guns are designed to shoot and be thrown away

I remember I made a post a few years ago about how the pistol should function more like a sidearm with a high rate of fire and lower damage for finishing off enemies rather than being a mini dmr. Seems they’ve taken that route with the sidekick pistol.

> 2533274873409464;5:
> I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.

So we should make them less unique and both trash…buffing the AR will only lead to the more competitive community revolting and straight up banning it from ranked matches ( instead of being balanced so that the weapon is powerful, when being used by a good player ) and making the pistol trash will cause it to never be picked up ever again…what a diverse sandbox to have when the noobsprayer bullet-hose gets banned and the rinky dinky M17 Sig never gets picked up.

> 2533274840624875;16:
> > 2535435902217648;15:
> > > 2533274840624875;14:
> > > > 2533274873409464;5:
> > > > I always enjoy seeing people share my opinion that the AR needs a buff and the Pistol needs a nerf. The closer they are in usefulness to each other, the better.
> > >
> > > not every gun needs to be useful.
> >
> > I’d have to disagree on that. In the real world, every gun is useful because it can at the very least fling a projectile at great distances in order to cause damage. In that regard, all guns are useful. The only not useful gun is one that can’t be fired. But there’s little reason to take the real world into account, so we can ignore that argument.
> >
> > With regard to gaming though, it takes time and effort for a programmer or a developer or designer to create and render a gun and write the code that makes it function (and probably other things that my non-technical mind is unaware of). So why would they put all that effort into a gun that is intentionally not useful? And to add to that point, why waste the space on the hard drive? Why write a piece of coding that takes up memory within the game engine just to include a useless gun?
> >
> > Every gun needs to be useful for something or it shouldn’t be in the game at all.
>
> its not the real world
>
> If all guns are useful, why use all guns? You need crap tools in your sandbox so you go for the good tools. At the end of the day. some guns are designed to shoot and be thrown away

Any competent workman would throw away the crap tools and only grab good ones, so your point makes zero sense.
Eitherway all weapons can and should be useful in some way ( doesn’t have to be “in the killing role” way ) that way players have a reason to actually pick them up.

I like the idea of nerfing the magnum although with the latest rendition of the sidekick i think they have already done that. AR is useless in H5 for sure.