Assault Rifle a contender again?!?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mhA1kGWsHnM

Idk if he is good or they are bad but the AR is looking like it can stand on its ownnn what you guys think

The Assault Rifle is a Primary weapon. It should be able to stand on it’s own legs.

Automatics were always the underdogs, why restrain yourself to close range when the precisions can do consistent, accurate damage at all ranges?

The AR was good in Halo 4.

Hopefully it won’t be as ridiculous as the DMR in Halo 4.

> 2533274890079195;4:
> The AR was good in Halo 4.

After the balance update yeah definitely, but then the BR got it’s 4 burst kill again :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274835305187;1:
> https://www.youtube.com/embed/mhA1kGWsHnM
>
> Idk if he is good or they are bad but the AR is looking like it can stand on its ownnn what you guys think

That guy sounded so excited I found myself enjoying the commentary without actually understanding what he was saying.

The AR was already good in Halo 4 both pre and post patch. The Halo 5 AR looks pretty good as well, but that does not make it a good starting weapon. While it looks like it is worth using within its particular niche, it just doesn’t have the range to make it viable, that pro game made it abundantly clear.

The AR simply isn’t a weapon that you can run around and ‘primary’(the concept of a primary in an Arena shooter is rather silly anyway) and expect to do well in a team environment, its a niche weapon and that is not a bad thing. People seem to have this misconception that you have to be able to use a weapon all the time for it to have value in the sandbox and it simply is not the case.

> 2533274819446242;8:
> The AR was already good in Halo 4 both pre and post patch. The Halo 5 AR looks pretty good as well, but that does not make it a good starting weapon. While it looks like it is worth using within its particular niche, it just doesn’t have the range to make it viable, that pro game made it abundantly clear.
>
> The AR simply isn’t a weapon that you can run around and ‘primary’(the concept of a primary in an Arena shooter is rather silly anyway) and expect to do well in a team environment, its a niche weapon and that is not a bad thing. People seem to have this misconception that you have to be able to use a weapon all the time for it to have value in the sandbox and it simply is not the case.

So long as it makes a player switch to it from a BR or DMR because it would be a better advantage in a close quarters fight and it would do it’s job well I feel.

It appears as if the AR has had its range increased.

> 2533274808578327;9:
> > 2533274819446242;8:
> > The AR was already good in Halo 4 both pre and post patch. The Halo 5 AR looks pretty good as well, but that does not make it a good starting weapon. While it looks like it is worth using within its particular niche, it just doesn’t have the range to make it viable, that pro game made it abundantly clear.
> >
> > The AR simply isn’t a weapon that you can run around and ‘primary’(the concept of a primary in an Arena shooter is rather silly anyway) and expect to do well in a team environment, its a niche weapon and that is not a bad thing. People seem to have this misconception that you have to be able to use a weapon all the time for it to have value in the sandbox and it simply is not the case.
>
>
> So long as it makes a player switch to it from a BR or DMR because it would be a better advantage in a close quarters fight and it would do it’s job well I feel.

Exactly, its all about having the right tool for the task and having that tool do its job well. Need close quarters firepower? Grab an SMG or AR for a bit more range. Need to strip shields in a hurry? Grab a plasma pistol. If you need to be versatile, grab a BR. Etc, Etc.

i have always been beast at the AR but my friends keep telling me its a noobs weapon lol

> 2533274971888157;12:
> i have always been beast at the AR but my friends keep telling me its a noobs weapon lol

That’s just because it had spread, and that it’s automatic but it’s not like using a burst weapon which is designed to be quite lax on a trigger finger is any harder.

But then again most players have their lower region junk firmly planted into the BR’s stock…

> 2533274819446242;11:
> > 2533274808578327;9:
> > > 2533274819446242;8:
> > > The AR was already good in Halo 4 both pre and post patch. The Halo 5 AR looks pretty good as well, but that does not make it a good starting weapon. While it looks like it is worth using within its particular niche, it just doesn’t have the range to make it viable, that pro game made it abundantly clear.
> > >
> > > The AR simply isn’t a weapon that you can run around and ‘primary’(the concept of a primary in an Arena shooter is rather silly anyway) and expect to do well in a team environment, its a niche weapon and that is not a bad thing. People seem to have this misconception that you have to be able to use a weapon all the time for it to have value in the sandbox and it simply is not the case.
> >
> >
> >
> > So long as it makes a player switch to it from a BR or DMR because it would be a better advantage in a close quarters fight and it would do it’s job well I feel.
>
>
> Exactly, its all about having the right tool for the task and having that tool do its job well. Need close quarters firepower? Grab an SMG or AR for a bit more range. Need to strip shields in a hurry? Grab a plasma pistol. If you need to be versatile, grab a BR. Etc, Etc.

The problem with the BR and it being versatile is that it was and usually is effective at a close range too, but you still have the precision to reach out when you need it. There just isn’t much of an advantage towards close range weapons because of it. There’s always hope otherwise though and 5’s AR seems to be quite a beast.

The AR has always been a contender. It’s not weak if loses up against another weapon that’s OP.

The addition of smart scope on the AR is great and makes it a real close ti medium range weapon. To those saying why choose AR because its not long range: Its supposed to be close range. The AR is a support weapon first and foremost.

> 2533274825353387;15:
> The AR has always been a contender. It’s not weak if loses up against another weapon that’s OP.

That’s pretty much the definition of weak.

As long as the other weapons can achieve faster kill times through head shots the AR will always be at a disadvantage, even in CQC where it should be superior.

Unless it get’s a head shot multiplier so that it can beat the BR’s kill time it’s never going to be the CQC contender that it needs to be.

> 2535473152030881;18:
> As long as the other weapons can achieve faster kill times through head shots the AR will always be at a disadvantage, even in CQC where it should be superior.
>
> Unless it get’s a head shot multiplier so that it can beat the BR’s kill time it’s never going to be the CQC contender that it needs to be.

I’ve thought of that but how would they work headshots with autos? If it’s instant kill then the damage versus shields may have to be adjusted, if it’s increased damage then it’s an issue of getting those hits due to the random spread.

Ultimately they might just have to prevail extremely well that it would look borderline OP but it has to be done.

Really glad that the AR is looking to be decent again. Halo 4 was the first game where it could function as a proper primary. I hope that covie weapons are also balanced as they are usually (again with Halo 4 as an exception) underpowered.