Assault Riffle - Where's the love?

Why does it appear that players are shying away from potentially using the Assault Riffle (AR) in multiplayer as a primary weapon?

It seems as if the Assault Riffle doesn’t get any love. Is it really that weak of a weapon or has been in prior Halo games? I’m personally excited to see how well it functions on Halo 4 in Multiplayer and Spartan Ops, but a lot of players seem to be more drawn to the BR or DMR. I can somewhat understand why some folks want to use the BR. If my memory serves me correctly, the BR was NOT apart of the last Halo game. While the DMR does appear to be a very effective mid-long range weapon, based upon the videos from E3, the BR is definitely sexier. I’ll more than likely use the BR for the larger maps unless the DMR turns out to be more my style. However, I’m still looking forward to first trying out the AR, despite the sense that people turn their nose up at it. :=P

On another side note, the Scattershot and Shotgun, based upon what I’ve seen in videos, seem like they perform like beasts in close quarter combat. :=)

It’s probably because it can’t headshot for that quick kill. I might use it on some of the small maps and take the mod which allows 2 primary weapons…

People just don’t like the Assault Rifle, it is more of a spray & pray gun than one that requires a lot of effort to pull off a kill with similar to a DMR or BR.

I look forward to using it, depending on how powerful it is or how weak it is will determine if it ever earns a spot permanently in my loadouts.

I may use it more come Halo 4, it sounds beast and it looks like it’s gotten buffed.

> I may use it more come Halo 4, it sounds beast and it looks like it’s gotten buffed.

I hope so, the ar was WAY too weak in Halo Reach.

using the assult rifle is easier than someone would think, the DMR doesn’t kill very fast either.

> more of a spray & pray gun than one that requires a lot of effort to pull off a kill

just fire in 3 short Control bursts. and you’ll be fine, heck think of the woodie wood -Yoink- laugh when you fire.

> I may use it more come Halo 4, it sounds beast and it looks like it’s gotten buffed.

I thought it sounded beast as well…

> hope so, the ar was WAY too weak in Halo Reach.

Ahhh, that may just be the reason! Well, let’s hope for a more formidable weapon in Halo 4.

> using the assult rifle is easier than someone would think, the DMR doesn’t kill very fast either.
>
>
>
> > more of a spray & pray gun than one that requires a lot of effort to pull off a kill
>
> just fire in 3 short Control bursts. and you’ll be fine, heck think of the woodie wood Yoink! laugh when you fire.

The problem is, very few use it like that, the majority just spray and either kill with the bullets or run in for a melee.

The assault rifle has always been just a pray and spray weapon for me. But nothing beats the satisfaction of out-strafing an enemy who is shooting you with a precision weapon while you mow them down with an AR. :smiley:

Because it’s been in most of the Halo games, and it doesn’t appear much different here. It practically has the same accuracy, magazine size, fire-power, and strength as recent Halo titles. I think more people are interested in newer and returning weapons. Especially ones which are power weapons and assists map-control.

from the gameplay Ive seen of it, its actually pretty strong. im so pumped i love the AR

I totally agree. Just like the lancer from gears of war it got no love until the 3rd one…this is the 5th halo game and the weapon needs to be more effective in killing than the previous games.

give the AR some love 343!

It does not fit my usual playstyle. I’ll use it when I feel like I should.

Because many people have convinced themselves that it’s a “n00b” weapon that doesn’t take skill. Strangely enough you’re not allowed to say the say thing about their prefered weapon.

I just hope the AR, Storm Rifle, and Suppressor are all worth using as a Primary by themselves without having a precision weapon with firepower.

> Because many people have convinced themselves that it’s a “n00b” weapon that doesn’t take skill. Strangely enough you’re not allowed to say the say thing about their prefered weapon.

Thanks for talking for us…

It’s not that it’s a noob weapon, although it does take less skill than the BR. It’s because it’s a niche weapon and shouldn’t be a weapon to spawn with because it lessens weapon variety and map movement.

But that was in the other Halo games. Since you can pick your loadout in H4, do whatever you want.

AR is only good for close range, although in some of the H4 gameplay it seems to do pretty well in medium range combat. I don’t like the randomness of AR’s b.c. aiming doesn’t mean much. I like to be confident in my aiming with a precision weapon, and upset with myself if I aim bad, instead of relying on luck with a spray n pray weapon. That’s just me but I believe that’s how a lot of people feel in regards to why they call it a noob weapon. That doesn’t mean I won’t run Firepower and have a DMR/AR setup for long range and close range battles though. Also might run DMR/Storm Rifle b.c. it seems to drain shields super fast. DMR - long range, Storm Rifle - close range drain shield and melee. That’s my thought process.

recently in reach ive started using small burst and it does pretty well

> People just don’t like the Assault Rifle, it is more of a spray & pray gun than one that requires a lot of effort to pull off a kill with similar to a DMR or BR.
>
> I look forward to using it, depending on how powerful it is or how weak it is will determine if it ever earns a spot permanently in my loadouts.

The AR is personally my favourite weapon. I think the problem is that a lot of people view it as a ‘beginners/noobs’ weapon, or that it is inferior to other guns. People also are probably put off my its longer kill times.

As well as being the best looking gun in Halo, I think the AR is a great weapon. A skilled AR user is formidable and can kill with finesse. Combined with masterful maneuverability, an AR can hold its own against the BR or DMR.

spray and pray has never been a cornerstone of halo game play.

But… if auto aim and aim magnetism for cqb weapons was removed and damage increased, then perhaps the cqb aspect of the game might get some depth.