Assassinations and the "Yoink!" Medal

When Halo: Reach introduced the assassination mechanic, I immediately fell in love. It’s such a satisfying experience to sneak up on someone and use the combat knife and continue on. It brought a new aspect of stealth to the game which was quite refreshing and new. I always tried to get at least one assassination in one match. The assassination commendation was also the first commendation I completed in Halo 4.
However, something has been bugging me as well as many of you, I’m sure (you can probably tell where I’m going with this). Quite often while I’m assassinating an enemy, one of my teammates will sprint by and steal my well deserved kill. Now, this happens all the time with normal kills, but I don’t believe it’s fair for assassinations.
The Yoink! medal has to be abolished. It promotes stealing assassinations and trolling. Not only that but it also a medal that requires zero skill to achieve because you’re killing someone who can’t fight back.
But why stop there? I have a solution to ending assassination stealing once and for all. It’s quite simple, really. Just make the person being assassinated invincible while in the quicktime event. This way, teammates can’t steal your kill but people on the other team can save their friend. The game would be much less annoying.
I would be happy if this, along with many, many, many (did I say there was a lot?) problems, was fixed in matchmaking for Halo 5. What do you guys think of the idea?

I agree with the frustration of people intentionally stealing an assassination…not cool. What I liked about the “Yoink” medal was being able to find out easily who did it and it helped keep record of who enjoyed behaving like this. I saw it has a negative mark on your record. I say let the those that make a sport of this brand themselves so they are known. I’m with you though!

Yeah, the Yoink medal is kind of dumb. Showstopper is cool.

Even if there wasn’t a “Yoink” medal people would steal assassinations. When seeing an enemy being assassinated, the last thing on my mind is “I could get a Yoink medal out of this”. The medal is honestly just like any other pointless medal which has no significance. It isn’t an encouragement to steal at all. The drive to steal an assassination is for the kill.

Personally I tend to avoid stealing assassinations. This may be because the majority of time I’m playing with good friends or because I’m playing with randoms who spend the majority of the game in the death screen. But should someone steal my assassination it wouldn’t bother me so much. It’s not like we’ve seen the same animation 400 times already and it is contributing towards the team score.

Sometimes I even call out to team mates to Yoink me. While in that animation, I’m just as vulnerable as the player I’m assassinating, another reason why I try and back smack. So I say no to making players invincible while being assassinated. If you’re playing with randoms and you know they’re near by or even right next to you, you had a perfectly good chance to just back smack them. If it’s going to help them increase in CSR (this is what individual CSR promotes) or further pad their stats, they will do it.

You make a valid point, Zealous, a lot of people don’t like assassinating, and it does leave you vulnerable. Consider this, however. Someone who is skilled with assassinating will make sure they are not in the open. Those who aren’t will be vulnerable. My idea would also create a trade off effect. If you want to get the cool animation, you have to leave yourself exposed for x seconds. Then there’s always the possibility of introducing a toggle assassination option so you wouldn’t have to worry about being exposed in the first place.

> You make a valid point, Zealous, a lot of people don’t like assassinating, and it does leave you vulnerable. Consider this, however. Someone who is skilled with assassinating will make sure they are not in the open. Those who aren’t will be vulnerable. My idea would also create a trade off effect. If you want to get the cool animation, you have to leave yourself exposed for x seconds. Then there’s always the possibility of introducing a toggle assassination option so you wouldn’t have to worry about being exposed in the first place.

A toggle would be much appreciated. However I still disagree with making people being assassinated invulnerable, that’s just silly. If you want to make it harder to yoink we could have animations which don’t directly remove the shields of the enemy before you finish them. E.g. the snapping of a neck or a knife to the head. Obviously what makes a player easy to yoink is the second delay from the shields dropping to the finishing of the kill. The animations would be harder to yoink and not worth the effort 90% of the time. I suggest this because for whatever reason, I don’t like the idea of making the dying player invulnerable…

Yeeeaah, if players would stop trying to get a Yoink from my assassinations, that would be great. :wink:

If I’m shooting someone and a teammate comes from behind him to take the kill for himself, that’s BS. If the enemy is invincible, why not the person doing the assassination? If one team is not allowed to kill the enemy, the same should apply vice-versa. But that won’t happen, and neither should “invincible enemies” just because he is going through a special animation. Are we going to get rid of assists too?

Welfare Queen, the reason the person being assassinated isn’t invulnerable is because he volunteered to be vulnerable by assassinating someone. The person being assassinated is invulnerable to other players to reduce kill stealing. Unfortunately, kill stealing isn’t going to go away ever. There’s really nothing you can do about it.Your scenario mentioned at the beginning of your post is an example of that.

Zealous, I like the idea, but it’s technically the same thing as my idea, just differently said. Your idea has the assassinated person already dead very early into the animation while mine has them unkillable. Unless we’re talking about zombies, you can’t kill what’s already dead, am I right?

showstopper indeed, Yoink medal is just dumb.

I yoink assassinations all the time. The way I see it is that I get my teammate back in the game as soon as possible. Those 2-3 seconds could be the difference between him getting to a power weapon first or second. If a teammate was on the respawn screen and you could bring him back in just 2 seconds instead of 5, with the press of a button would you do it?

No because that isn’t the way Halo is meant to be played. If a person is on respawn, it’s because he was killed fair and square. He doesn’t deserve to be brought back in early. If he is assassinating someone, he chose to kill the person, not going for the power weapon.

Yoink feels to me like a medal without a purpose. It doesn’t encourage teamwork, and it promotes selfish behavior. I guess that’s okay for a FFA game type, but otherwise I don’t see the point.

Agree with OP, leaving the victim invincible for the duration of the animation sounds fair. You get the kill time of a beat down while enjoying the cool animation. The price of said enjoyment is leaving yourself defenseless for the duration.

Seems like a fair trade off to me.

I think the yoink medal should lose you points since the other player obviously is basically guaranteed the kill.

I’ve always hated yoinkers. I always took it upon myself to step in front of their vehicles or explosives to give them a right quick boot whenever possible.

fight trolling with trolling.

> Yeah, the Yoink medal is kind of dumb. Showstopper is cool.

Agreed

well they should also fix assassinations so that if you sneak up on the guy assassinating, you should pull him off and assassinate him saving your teammate, instead of just getting a beat down or the annoying exploit where you cant beat them down or your lunge misses.

I don’t have much to input other than that I agree entirely with your whole post. I’ve voiced the same concern with similar solutions in the past. I hope your proposition is noticed, acknowledged, accepted, and eventually integrated in 343i’s next Halo.

> 2533274931715198;4:
> Even if there wasn’t a “Yoink” medal people would steal assassinations. When seeing an enemy being assassinated, the last thing on my mind is “I could get a Yoink medal out of this”. The medal is honestly just like any other pointless medal which has no significance. It isn’t an encouragement to steal at all. The drive to steal an assassination is for the kill.
>
> Personally I tend to avoid stealing assassinations. This may be because the majority of time I’m playing with good friends or because I’m playing with randoms who spend the majority of the game in the death screen. But should someone steal my assassination it wouldn’t bother me so much. It’s not like we’ve seen the same animation 400 times already and it is contributing towards the team score.
>
> Sometimes I even call out to team mates to Yoink me. While in that animation, I’m just as vulnerable as the player I’m assassinating, another reason why I try and back smack. So I say no to making players invincible while being assassinated. If you’re playing with randoms and you know they’re near by or even right next to you, you had a perfectly good chance to just back smack them. If it’s going to help them increase in CSR (this is what individual CSR promotes) or further pad their stats, they will do it.

You can go to game settings and turn off the assassination animation. It’s in the same menu that you use to set up your look sensitivity, controller vibration, etc…
Personally I’m with the OP about enjoying the animation, there’s just something satisfying about it. But as Zealous pointed out it does leave you open for an easy kill if you do it in a hot zone.

I honestly couldn’t agree more. I challenge myself to assassinate as much as possible. Sure I occasionally get showstopped, but that’s my own fault. If I want to risk my own life like that then let me. Back in Reach and Halo 4, people didn’t Yoink. They just didn’t. Those who did were shunned by players. There was no honour to it. But it seems to me that now, in Halo 5, everyone Yoinks, as if it’s the done thing. Why? It’s a horrible kill steal that only makes you laugh to yourself in a selfish fit for a few second before you forget it. The only time I ever Yoink is on accident: I’m firing at an enemy and a clever teammate sneaks up and earns the assassination, but i just don’t realise or he’s already so weak that I don’t stop firing in time and accidentally kill the victim. Other than that I hate Yoinks so much. Stop them. Please Halo 5 players.
Edit: I can also accept Yoinks in FFA. But never in teams. And to you who claimed you yoink teammates all the time to get them back in that game, that’s just wrong. I work hard to get the assassination, and to have it taken by some guy who thinks that game is all about winning and not enjoying oneself, is devastating to me. That’s never what the Halo community ever did before. They played to have fun while winning. And you effectively take that away.

Holy necro, batman!