assassination as a control option

assassinations are a cool neat gimmick, how ever can be very anoying when you want to kill the person and move on instead of being stuck there for a few secounds doing an animation that makes you vulnerable.

assassinations as a control option, an option under controls such as how toggle crouch works to let us choose whether or not we want to be able to do the assassination animation, it would also allow for more competitive play since the animation gives off free kills in the wrong situations.

I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.

> I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.

Unless you tap the button but you still do the animation and someone steals it.

> I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.

inconvenience that leaves you as a sitting duck for the other team …

I thought it was tap melee, normal kill. Hold Melee, and it was the assassination. Has this been changed?

> I thought it was tap melee, normal kill. Hold Melee, and it was the assassination. Has this been changed?

dunno, this is just a suggestion.

though, in reach, even a tap is sometimes an assassination …

> > I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.
>
> inconvenience that leaves you as a sitting duck for the other team …

> > I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.
>
> Unless you tap the button but you still do the animation and someone steals it.

And those aren’t much more than minor annoyances as you’re still getting an instant kill (factoring out the minor annoyances).

> I thought it was tap melee, normal kill. Hold Melee, and it was the assassination. Has this been changed?

No, but there should be an off option to eliminate the accidental assassinations.

> > I thought it was tap melee, normal kill. Hold Melee, and it was the assassination. Has this been changed?
>
> dunno, this is just a suggestion.
>
> <mark>though, in reach, even a tap is sometimes an assassination</mark> …

Just a dodgy controller button, happens to me all the time.

> > > I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.
> >
> > inconvenience that leaves you as a sitting duck for the other team …
>
>
>
> > > I think sitting through a short animation sequence is a minor inconvenience considering you’re getting an instant kill.
> >
> > Unless you tap the button but you still do the animation and someone steals it.
>
> And those aren’t much more than minor annoyances as you’re still getting an instant kill (factoring out the minor annoyances).

it isn’t instant if it takes time, it might be a minor annoyance to you but to me its extremely annoying to be a sitting duck for the other team to kill me, especially when i hear over proximity “i’m being assassinated, top health pack!” and his team comes around and kills me, where as a regular beat-down would have had me in and out quickly.

> > > I thought it was tap melee, normal kill. Hold Melee, and it was the assassination. Has this been changed?
> >
> > dunno, this is just a suggestion.
> >
> > <mark>though, in reach, even a tap is sometimes an assassination</mark> …
>
> Just a dodgy controller button, happens to me all the time.

i think its more to do with lag, under good connection or host i get the beat down all the time, under laggy conditions it is hit and miss.

the strange irony is strong in this post, I know you probably didn’t mean it like that but instant means quickly like snapping a finger so an animation takes out the point of the ‘instant’ part of the kill and people like seeing a greusome animation but others would rather press the button and be ‘instantly’ done with it and that is the reason for this thread

Honestly, i think they should just get rid of yoinks. I know this would get rid of show stopper as well, but honestly its just annoying. Especially when you have that moment when your saving your buddies life, tap the button and still get thrown into the animation, just to have them steal the kill.

Get rid of yoinks is what should happen. Or at least give the person who got yoinked some consideration. Half the time when they get yoinked they dont even get an assist. Give us a medal at the beggining and end of an assassination, that way we dont lose all credibility for it.

That, or just implement a Yoinked medal. So that when you get yoinked it shows…

Something to give them consideration.

Some of the assassinations take so long it would be quicker to just double melee them. There is no good reason not to include an option in the control menu.

[/quote]
dunno, this is just a suggestion.

though, in reach, even a tap is sometimes an assassination …
[/quote]

Indeed…

I support this.

I really like assassinations but I also agree with OP.

You can just tap the melee button and you wont perform an assassination. In the Conan thing, Frankie asked him to make sounds like he was being “pummeled”, which leads me to believe that Beatdowns are the same as Reach’s, so it’ll probably still exist.

If they made it so you had to hold the button down slightly longer than you do for Reach, then that could potentially fix the accidental assassinations.

> If they made it so you had to hold the button down slightly longer than you do for Reach, then that could potentially fix the accidental assassinations.

I would rather have an on/off switch.