Aspects of the Halo universe/Game styles that you want to see in future games

So what parts of the Halo universe do you want to see? And what gameplay do you want to see them in.

I think Harvest would be cool, maybe an FPS where you play as Johnson, and base it on the book. It would be a prequel to Halo Wars.

There’s always the FPS Halo 4, but I think that that should wait a little bit. Let 343 get settled before jumping into something big like that.

I want another RTS, maybe not a direct sequel to Halo Wars though. Not sure where in the story it should take place.

Maybe a third person shooter? I don’t really play many, but it could be cool.

And then there is always the long rumored Halo Combat Evolved remake.

But the most important thing to remember is the story. It doesn’t matter how fun the game is online, because online isn’t what Halo is really about. Whenever I purchase a game, I usually base it on story, and any online modes are added bonuses. I want every halo game to have a great story. Story is what made Halo Halo. From that first time we woke up from the cryotube in Combat Evolved, to us witnessing our own death in Reach, Halo’s story has always been one of the most captivating video game (even science fiction) stories ever made.

> So what parts of the Halo universe do you want to see? And what gameplay do you want to see them in.
>
> I think Harvest would be cool, maybe an FPS where you play as Johnson, and base it on the book. It would be a prequel to Halo Wars.
>
> There’s always the FPS Halo 4, but I think that that should wait a little bit. Let 343 get settled before jumping into something big like that.
>
> I want another RTS, maybe not a direct sequel to Halo Wars though. Not sure where in the story it should take place.
>
> Maybe a third person shooter? I don’t really play many, but it could be cool.
>
> And then there is always the long rumored Halo Combat Evolved remake.
>
> But the most important thing to remember is the story. It doesn’t matter how fun the game is online, because online isn’t what Halo is really about. Whenever I purchase a game, I usually base it on story, and any online modes are added bonuses. I want every halo game to have a great story. Story is what made Halo Halo. From that first time we woke up from the cryotube in Combat Evolved, to us witnessing our own death in Reach, Halo’s story has always been one of the most captivating video game (even science fiction) stories ever made.

I couldn’t agree with the bolded any more. I had an idea for a sequel, it’s a little far fetched, but I think it would be cool nonetheless.

Here’s the link if you’re interested: http://halo.xbox.com/forums/f/10/t/1692.aspx

It’s a bit long, but the basic idea is that the Spirit of Fire finds Master Chief, and the gameplay switches between RTS and FPS.

I also agree about Halo’s universe being great. I think it’s a more realistic depiction of what humanity would be like than Star Trek or anything idealistic like that. Although I must say that I buy games based upon multiplayer because that’s the aspect that keeps you playing, and thus the aspect that gives you more bang for your buck. I usually rent games that I just want to play for their story.

I liked the Halo Wars story the best because it bothered to develop its characters (I’m looking at you Reach), and it gave one the feel that one was part of a huge military struggle. Though that’s probably also in part because it is an RTS.

In contrast I liked Halo: CE the best out of the FPS gameplay because one actually felt like you were alone on this massive world facing a giant army almost by yourself (with the help from an occasional interspersing of incompetent allies). The other one’s tried too hard to be epic and fell a little flat. Remember the camera sequence in the introduction to the flood? That was great storytelling. It was personal. 2 and 3 were too fast paced, with too many things happening.

I don’t know, I also like the epic feel too, but not as much as the personal feel. I think the next Halo FPS needs to have more pace changes. Have a level where it’s you exploring and moving room to room like in Halo: CE, to give that lone-wolf in a giant world feeling, and then spice it up with a few giant battles. If everything is giant all the time, then the player becomes desensitized to it, and it just becomes the status quo. I think that’s why the tank levels felt so much cooler in CE.

I think the game should also attempt to be less linear like it was in CE. Remember the ‘Silent Cartographer’ level? You could drive around the entire level and approach it how you wanted. The other Halo games kind of resorted to the typical linear paths because they were focused on constantly making you battle through large open areas with many enemies. I’d like different approaches to taking out the enemies. For instance, in CE at the end of the first (or second I can’t quite remember) frozen valley level when you encounter the large group of enemies on the hill that has the two banshees, I would try to sneak my way to the banshees and then fly up to the bridge far above that you cross earlier and snipe the enemies below. I think it’s a bit better than the “force player to run in with rocket launcher” method.