As of now Team Throwdown is horrible

Ill start with the “Deluxe” playlist. Terrible idea to give people a DMR over a BR in what is supposed to be balanced gameplay. That in itself ruins that playlist.

As for the rest my first game on Team Throwdown was extraction BR’s and played well
but overall the playlist is terrible because there is no system in place that pairs people up with comparable skill. I played about 5 games and my teammates could not handle it and we got completely destroyed with no chance of even making it close. A playlist like this cannot work with no ranking system implemented and I do look forward to APRIL (faceplam) for said system to be put into place.

I stated in another thread that it is still imperative to create a social playlist and a ranked playlist or its just not going to work with all of the unbalanced issues with Infinity. Damn I really want to like this game but 343 has truly made it incredibly difficult.

Team Doubles is outstanding however but again that is something that should have been in the game from the start. I would love to know why that was not an option before launch.

Super frustrated with this game right now. A running trend that really has only been thwarted a bit by Double Team. Im just not sure 343 really “Gets it”.

There is a hidden true skill in throw down just like every other playlist. But since it just came out you and everyone else will be a low level. As you play more you will get better teammates and face stiffer competition. But the only way to solve you teammate issue is to go in with a full team.

> There is a hidden true skill in throw down just like every other playlist. But since it just came out you and everyone else will be a low level. As you play more you will get better teammates and face stiffer competition. But the only way to solve you teammate issue is to go in with a full team.

True skill is a piss poor alternative to an actual ranking system and it constantly fails across all gametypes. I cannot argue your last point though but
its not always easy to get a team together.

As far as matching like skill players. It won’t do that right away in a new playlist. Data needs to be collected first. It should balance out over time.

> As far as matching like skill players. It won’t do that right away in a new playlist. Data needs to be collected first. It should balance out over time.

It never has. Where do you guys get this information?

RELEVANT, from another thread. Pretty spot on.

> The playlist is fine. Better than fine actually. It’s great (I could live without Deluxe, but w/e).
>
> My advice: Bring a full party when you go into it. Why?
>
> The absence of JIP leaves a bitter/sweet impression. It’s great that I’m not thrown into half-finished games where the opposing team is winning/losing by a large margin. However, with JIP out, the impact of flaking teammates is much more substantial (especially when playing Objective game types). I have yet to play a match in the playlist where both teams finish with all of their players.
>
> Because of this, I feel it is absolutely essential to play Team Throwdown with a full party. Sure, I had a few good performances today, but my solo sessions with randoms in Throwdown yielded overall disastrous results.
>
> I don’t think I’ll head back into the playlist until I round up some people to play with (which is tougher considering all of my friends have dropped Halo 4 entirely).

> > As far as matching like skill players. It won’t do that right away in a new playlist. Data needs to be collected first. It should balance out over time.
>
> It never has. Where do you guys get this information?

It never has? Where do you get this information? Did they secretly tell you that there is no hidden true skill system or are you just basing that off of your personal experiences?

> > > As far as matching like skill players. It won’t do that right away in a new playlist. Data needs to be collected first. It should balance out over time.
> >
> > It never has. Where do you guys get this information?
>
> It never has? Where do you get this information. Did they secretly tell you that there is no hidden true skill system or are you just basing that off of your personal experiences?

It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill.
In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.

Actually trueskill has its advantages in the begining it matches you with players of similar skill faster than any ranking system we know of that isnt based on trueskill.

Where it feels like trueskill fails is in the long run.

Not veiwable = No player turst

Without players actually seeing that the teams are even at start… there is nothing hyping players up giving them the feeling “this might be a close game, ok… game face!” Nothing. This lack of hype or excitment to face good oponents may lead to general apathy… more quiting. The less important the game feels, the more likely a player quits. Doesnt feel like anyting is on the line… meh, later.

I don’t play ranked for the ranks. I played ranked playlist to fight against motivated enemies that are here to play. Here to win and will not take it easy on me. That is what Ranked playlist does for me. Any invisable Ranked playlist just wont give me equally skilled enemies that are equally motivated.

The damn playlist just came out this morning for -Yoinks!- sake give it damn chance. It doesn’t match you against like skilled people yet hell I’ve only played 2 games that I lost one was team slayer brs and the other was ctf brs on simplex. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining, so what theres a variant for the DMR lovers out there counter act it and out BR them. Strafing and timing matter more in the new list than before in others calm the hell down the matching system will and can improve.

> It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill. In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.

Oh but it does work, the only problem is that it’s in a loose setting, meaning that the game takes a wider range of skills to fill a game.

Your personal experience does not override this, neither does you thinking that a visible trueskill system would work any better. If the setting is loose then it’s loose, no matter if it’s visible or not, it just so happens that the settings are strict when there’s a visible skill rank as competition is fiercer.

Throwdown is fine as it is. I also found that the DMR in the Deluxe version didn’t come with any AA at all, and with that in mind I managed to outplay plenty of DMR players with the hologram, an AA I haven’t used at all.

> The damn playlist just came out this morning for -Yoinks!- sake give it damn chance. It doesn’t match you against like skilled people yet hell I’ve only played 2 games that I lost one was team slayer brs and the other was ctf brs on simplex. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining, so what theres a variant for the DMR lovers out there counter act it and out BR them. Strafing and timing matter more in the new list than before in others calm the hell down the matching system will and can improve.

WHy dont you calm down. 343 wants feedback and I am offering mine. What I stated above is my opinion. This playlist is not going to play well unless there is an actual ranking system in place that we will be getting in April. The JIP is also a problem as so many are quitting out early with no penalization.

> > It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill. In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.
>
> Oh but it does work, the only problem is that it’s in a loose setting, meaning that the game takes a wider range of skills to fill a game.
>
> Your personal experience does not override this, neither does you thinking that a visible trueskill system would work any better. If the setting is loose then it’s loose, no matter if it’s visible or not, it just so happens that the settings are strict when there’s a visible skill rank as competition is fiercer.
>
> Throwdown is fine as it is, I’d like the radar to show enemies as well but that’s my personal opinion. I also found that the DMR in the Deluxe version didn’t come with any AA at all, and with that in mind I managed to outplay plenty of DMR players with the hologram, an AA I haven’t used at all.

I said nothing about a visible ranking system. A “Loose” trueskill system is not appropriate and ridiculous and proves my point that it doesnt work. And the fact is the BR cannot compete with the DMR long range which is not very balanced in a competitive playlist.

> > > It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill. In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.
> >
> > Oh but it does work, the only problem is that it’s in a loose setting, meaning that the game takes a wider range of skills to fill a game.
> >
> > Your personal experience does not override this, neither does you thinking that a visible trueskill system would work any better. If the setting is loose then it’s loose, no matter if it’s visible or not, it just so happens that the settings are strict when there’s a visible skill rank as competition is fiercer.
> >
> > Throwdown is fine as it is, I’d like the radar to show enemies as well but that’s my personal opinion. I also found that the DMR in the Deluxe version didn’t come with any AA at all, and with that in mind I managed to outplay plenty of DMR players with the hologram, an AA I haven’t used at all.
>
> I said nothing about a visible ranking system. A “Loose” trueskill system is not appropriate and ridiculous and proves my point that it doesnt work. And the fact is the BR cannot compete with the DMR long range which is not very balanced in a competitive playlist.

Pardon me then, but since you were talking about whatever other “actual” system and bashing the trueskill system, I assumed you wanted a visible one, and you meantioned the CSR system coming later on as well, not visible ingame but still a sort of visible rank.

Anyhow, if there are glitches in the system, or it’s shut down, then it’s not working. Otherwise it is, and no, it isn’t a “loose” trueskill system, the settings are “loose”. The trueskill system remains the same, it’s the game that utilises the TS to match players together that is set to “loose”.

I noticed that SWAT is perhaps one of the best playlists to see the system work. As I started, players of all skills were playing, but as I played more I went from being on top most of the times with double the amounts of kills the second player had, to getting frequent games that were close or one sided, not in my favour.

Why is SWAT a good example for it? There’s no randomness in it so the game can’t affect the outcome of the match, so it’s actually skill vs skill, not skill + luck vs skill + luck.

It is there, and it is working, the only thing that 343 needs to do is change the settings to strict, then you’ll have a system that tries to match you against players around your own skill.

Why is the system loose?

Because of wait time and population.

If the settings are set to strict, then wait time will go up a lot if the population is low.

Have them set to loose and you’ll find players more quickly at the expense of possible uneven matches.

You either get shorter search times and more uneven matches, or longer search times and even matches. It’s a balance thing.

Now if population was higher, it’d be a different story, but that’s not a luxury right now, and most players are impatient and will not stay in search for more than a minute.

> > There is a hidden true skill in throw down just like every other playlist. But since it just came out you and everyone else will be a low level. As you play more you will get better teammates and face stiffer competition. But the only way to solve you teammate issue is to go in with a full team.
>
> True skill is a piss poor alternative to an actual ranking system and it constantly fails across all gametypes. I cannot argue your last point though but
> its not always easy to get a team together.

True skill is bad but i could be worse. True skill is what was used and displayed in Halo 3.

As for it not being easy to get a team. Fill your friends list, you have 100 spots. You are on a forum and there are more out there. Just go look at the party up sections of them and find people.

> > > > It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill. In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.
> > >
> > > Oh but it does work, the only problem is that it’s in a loose setting, meaning that the game takes a wider range of skills to fill a game.
> > >
> > > Your personal experience does not override this, neither does you thinking that a visible trueskill system would work any better. If the setting is loose then it’s loose, no matter if it’s visible or not, it just so happens that the settings are strict when there’s a visible skill rank as competition is fiercer.
> > >
> > > Throwdown is fine as it is, I’d like the radar to show enemies as well but that’s my personal opinion. I also found that the DMR in the Deluxe version didn’t come with any AA at all, and with that in mind I managed to outplay plenty of DMR players with the hologram, an AA I haven’t used at all.
> >
> > I said nothing about a visible ranking system. A “Loose” trueskill system is not appropriate and ridiculous and proves my point that it doesnt work. And the fact is the BR cannot compete with the DMR long range which is not very balanced in a competitive playlist.
>
> Pardon me then, but since you were talking about whatever other “actual” system and bashing the trueskill system, I assumed you wanted a visible one, and you meantioned the CSR system coming later on as well, not visible ingame but still a sort of visible rank.

Stopped reading there. What the hell are you talking about? The CSR is coming in April and should take care of the trueskill problem. Anything else you are missing? SOrt of visible? wut?

> > > There is a hidden true skill in throw down just like every other playlist. But since it just came out you and everyone else will be a low level. As you play more you will get better teammates and face stiffer competition. But the only way to solve you teammate issue is to go in with a full team.
> >
> > True skill is a piss poor alternative to an actual ranking system and it constantly fails across all gametypes. I cannot argue your last point though but
> > its not always easy to get a team together.
>
> True skill is bad but i could be worse. True skill is what was used and displayed in Halo 3.

The true skill in H3 compared to H4 is much different. There was an actual ranking system in place in H3. The fact that you say its bad but could be worse speaks volumes about the current system.

> > > > > It doesnt work and is a poor excuse for pairing people up of comparable skill. In any given match you can put matched up with people who have hardly played the game or people with atrocious K/D. For anyone to say that it does a good job is playing a different game.
> > > >
> > > > Oh but it does work, the only problem is that it’s in a loose setting, meaning that the game takes a wider range of skills to fill a game.
> > > >
> > > > Your personal experience does not override this, neither does you thinking that a visible trueskill system would work any better. If the setting is loose then it’s loose, no matter if it’s visible or not, it just so happens that the settings are strict when there’s a visible skill rank as competition is fiercer.
> > > >
> > > > Throwdown is fine as it is, I’d like the radar to show enemies as well but that’s my personal opinion. I also found that the DMR in the Deluxe version didn’t come with any AA at all, and with that in mind I managed to outplay plenty of DMR players with the hologram, an AA I haven’t used at all.
> > >
> > > I said nothing about a visible ranking system. A “Loose” trueskill system is not appropriate and ridiculous and proves my point that it doesnt work. And the fact is the BR cannot compete with the DMR long range which is not very balanced in a competitive playlist.
> >
> > Pardon me then, but since you were talking about whatever other “actual” system and bashing the trueskill system, I assumed you wanted a visible one, and you meantioned the CSR system coming later on as well, not visible ingame but still a sort of visible rank.
>
> Stopped reading there. What the hell are you talking about? The CSR is coming in April and should take care of the trueskill problem. Anything else you are missing? SOrt of visible? wut?

WOW…

1: You bashed the Trueskill system and wanted an “actual” system to match players. I assumed you wanted an ingame visible skill rank.

2: Yes I know it’s coming, and it’s “sort of visbile” since it’s only visible through Halo Waypoint, and that other thing for smart phones.

And as I explained in the post you didn’t even bother to read, there’s no problem with the trueskill system, it’s that the settings are loose.

Trueskill

Trueskill calculation

Perhaps after educating yourself in the matter you are bashing, can you point out exactly what’s wrong with it.

Or perhaps is it that the system is set to “loose”, to shorten the search times. As I explained in the post that you didn’t bother to read.

April?

I thought ranks were coming with the TU?

Also, I agree true skill is hogwash…

There is little to no solid, concrete evidence of it matching similarly skilled players at all.

> April?
>
> I thought ranks were coming with the TU?
>
> Also, I agree true skill is hogwash…
>
> There is little to no solid, concrete evidence of it matching similarly skilled players at all.

Agreed I dont know what these people are talking about. Simply making excuses for what I dont know.

And yes the CSR has been pushed back to April after being told we would have it along with the TU in February.