As newb as they get and wants to learn

Like it says, I’m as newb as I think you can be these days. I am a new console gamer. I’m new to online multi-player gaming, And I’m new to the Halo Universe. I don’t think it gets more sheltered than that. And yes it is cozy under my rock. I have basset Hounds to keep me company, and my family I guess, but mainly Bassets. I’ve been a PC gamer all my life until I saw the “Deliver Hope” ad for Reach, now I’m stuck on Halo, nothing else.

Now, in few weeks, if everything goes well, I will upgrade to Xbox Live Gold and try to engage in online play. I’ve been reading here for a little over a month now and it seems to me that it is very easy to cause trouble or annoy fellow players, especially some of the very things I do in single player seem to be taboo against human players.

Being ignorant as I am, could someone help educate me in the acceptable tactics and etiquette of online play so I can avoid being one of those hated and obnoxious newbs I read about. Also it would help me to recognize when others are acting in an unacceptable manner as I don’t want to be taken advantage of.

I put my newbie buns in the forums hands to educate me.

P.S. Sorry if I’m weird, I’m rural.

> Like it says, I’m as noob as I think you can be these days. I am a new console gamer. I’m new to online multi-player gaming, And I’m new to the Halo Universe. I don’t think it gets more sheltered than that. And yes it is cozy under my rock. I have basset Hounds to keep me company, and my family I guess, but mainly Bassets. I’ve been a PC gamer all my life until I saw the “Deliver Hope” ad for Reach, now I’m stuck on Halo, nothing else.
>
> Now, in few weeks, if everything goes well, I will upgrade to Xbox Live Gold and try to engage in online play. I’ve been reading here for a little over a month now and it seems to me that it is very easy to cause trouble or annoy fellow players, especially some of the very things I do in single player seem to be taboo against human players.
>
> Being ignorant as I am, could someone help educate me in the acceptable tactics and etiquette of online play so I can avoid being one of those hated and obnoxious noobs I read about. Also it would help me to recognize when others are acting in an unacceptable manner as I don’t want to be taken advantage of.
>
>
> I put my noobie buns in the forums hands to educate me.
>
>
>
> P.S. Sorry if I’m weird, I’m rural.

Just be polite, and try not to -Yoink!-, unless it’s absolutely necessary. Also, don’t betray your teammates intentionally. No one likes that.

Here’s a little video about proper gaming etiquette.

Don’t camp. As much as I do agree that it is a legitimate strategy, it is very cheap.
Play Reach Multiplayer with friends. The experience for the game gets so much better that way.

Learn the maps. It will help so you know where power weapons spawn. Also to avoid choke points so you dont get spawn camped.

Here are some basic tips for online play.

• Have fun. Number one rule.

• NEVER, ever, ever, betray anyone for ANY reason. It is annoying, and unnecessary. If you do betray someone you also risk the possibility of being kicked from the match, Fore-fitting any credits earned that match.

• Do not go for kills in an objective playlist. If you are playing king of the hill (for example) do not walk around the map killing people, help your teammates take the hill and win.

• If you have a mic do not be rude. If someone is insulting you or looking for a fight just ignore them or mute them. Focus on the game, do not let them distract you.

Well those are just some basics, if you have any questions just ask. Have fun playing online, I’ll See you there.

Just be a team player and you’ll get friends to play with.

Don’t be a stat-ho. They’re extremely annoying and need to be dealt with somehow. When guys sit around getting cheap kills in objective games and lose the match for their team they just suck, regardless of what their stats suggest.

I’m looking up terms in Halopedian to get my bearings, and when you say “-Yoink!-” do you mean the derogatory kind it mentions?

Also, are Assassinations a bad habit?

Plus I think I can avoid camping, although I do like to stop and use the motion tracker to find enemies from time to time.

> I’m looking up terms in Halopedian to get my bearings, and when you say “-Yoink!-” do you mean the derogatory kind it mentions?
>
> Also, are Assassinations a bad habit?
>
> Plus I think I can avoid camping, although I do like to stop and use the motion tracker to find enemies from time to time.

teabagging

There’s a huge difference between a noob and a newb. Right now you are newb. You are new to the game and therefore aren’t going to likely be very good at the beginning. That isn’t gaming, that’s just life. Just practice and you’ll get better and better.

Whether assassinations are bad or not is up to you, but yoinking people is generally frowned upon. (A Yoink is killing an enemy that you’re teammate is assassinating).

Yeah, the teabagging is very immature and stupid.

And thanks for the clarification about newb and noob.

Oh, and I don’t like to steal kills.

> Yeah, the teabagging is very immature and stupid.
>
>
> And thanks for the clarification about newb and noob.
>
>
>
> Oh, and I don’t like to steal kills.

Then you’re off to a good start.

My rules for teabagging go as follows (To clarify this isn’t an official thing this is just my personal moral stance on teabagging) you can only -Yoink!- if the following conditions are met:

1. You kill someone 1 on 1, with no help from teammates

2. You do not use power weapons to kill someone

3. You do not use vehicles

4. You do not sneak up on them, you just dual them old west style face-to-face

I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.

> I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.

Whenever my brother would play for a bit then hand me the controller I would just be like, “Aw hell no! I’ll just take the other controller over here, put it in port 1”.

> > I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.
>
> Whenever my brother would play for a bit then hand me the controller I would just be like, “Aw hell no! I’ll just take the other controller over here, put it in port 1”.

I play the most with my small nephew and since my hands are allways dry and his are always damp its like my hounds have been licking it or something, LoL.

> > > I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.
> >
> > Whenever my brother would play for a bit then hand me the controller I would just be like, “Aw hell no! I’ll just take the other controller over here, put it in port 1”.
>
> I play the most with my small nephew and since my hands are allways dry and his are always damp its like my hounds have been licking it or something, LoL.

I also don’t understand why people would play inverted, I’ve heard that Frankie, the franchise developer for 343, uses the inverted controller scheme. If he were to show up maybe he could explain the inverted mindset to us.

Hey, wa-chit. I use default scheme with look inverted. I don’t know why, but up is up, and down is down scheme makes me motion sick. It didn’t used to, but as I got older I had to put more effort into using it. I can’t even play some of my older PC shooters without getting sick.

> > > > I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.
> > >
> > > Whenever my brother would play for a bit then hand me the controller I would just be like, “Aw hell no! I’ll just take the other controller over here, put it in port 1”.
> >
> > I play the most with my small nephew and since my hands are allways dry and his are always damp its like my hounds have been licking it or something, LoL.
>
> I also don’t understand why people would play inverted, I’ve heard that Frankie, the franchise developer for 343, uses the inverted controller scheme. If he were to show up maybe he could explain the inverted mindset to us.

I’ve always used inverted controls. Makes more sense to me. Imagine the right stick is your head and neck. Tilting/moving the stick/neck forward looks down and tilting/moving back looks up. It’s easier on my subconscious I guess, plus I am OLD and games didn’t always let you choose inverted or not. LOL

> Hey, wa-chit. I use default scheme with look inverted. I don’t know why, but up is up, and down is down scheme makes me motion sick. It didn’t used to, but as I got older I had to put more effort into using it. I can’t even play some of my older PC shooters without getting sick.

Lol

> > Hey, wa-chit. I use default scheme with look inverted. I don’t know why, but up is up, and down is down scheme makes me motion sick. It didn’t used to, but as I got older I had to put more effort into using it. I can’t even play some of my older PC shooters without getting sick.
>
> Lol

“Thats it, laugh it up furball”.

> > > > > I’ve watched that video about Gamer etiquette before too, I hate the warm controller, even if I’ve only played with family. The thing I really hate is warm toilet seats.
> > > >
> > > > Whenever my brother would play for a bit then hand me the controller I would just be like, “Aw hell no! I’ll just take the other controller over here, put it in port 1”.
> > >
> > > I play the most with my small nephew and since my hands are allways dry and his are always damp its like my hounds have been licking it or something, LoL.
> >
> > I also don’t understand why people would play inverted, I’ve heard that Frankie, the franchise developer for 343, uses the inverted controller scheme. If he were to show up maybe he could explain the inverted mindset to us.
>
> I’ve always used inverted controls. Makes more sense to me. Imagine the right stick is your head and neck. Tilting/moving the stick/neck forward looks down and tilting/moving back looks up. It’s easier on my subconscious I guess, plus I am OLD and games didn’t always let you choose inverted or not. LOL

Yeah that’s the way I look at it too. I think I got in the habit from playing flight games and Mechwarrior. I’ve been playing games since I was five or six back in '92 or '93.