Art style - Old vs New? Which is better?

I personally prefer the look of older Halos. It added this certain factor of realism that you can’t find in 343 games. Thus why I found it more relatable which kept playing for a long time. Watching the HW2 trailer just intensifies that feeling. How about you? Are you a fan of the changes made by 343? Or do you have a gaping hole only the Halo Wars 2 trailer was able to fill after 6 long years?

> 2533274843882340;2:
> Old most definitely. Something about the newer designs I just dont like and sorta takes away that Halo feel. It all looks like black ops 3 style bright plastic and corner are no longer cool so everything is rounded. Like a stereo typical sifi design. Halo use to have a unique feel of modern realistic future that wasnt so far fetched and over played… only 343 design I like is the warthog and the Scorpion is kinda growing on me
>
> But I hate 343 mutated the covenant and Arbiter like why… :confused:

I screwed this whole post. Excuse me haha

I like both art styles in all honesty. The old halo’s looked and felt really good in their own right, they had their charm which got me into the games. I can tell how different the 343 games are, and they have different styles, but I do like it as well. I enjoy them both, and I think it should be appreciated that 343 are trying to do their own thing with the halo universe. Sure, it makes people unhappy, because people don’t like change. But I prefer it over them trying to keep it too similar.

Halo 2 and 3 have my favorite artistic look - it really felt like the style of CE was refined and found its footing by then (as well as the music). Sure, Halo 4 had some of the “shiny factor” that I dislike in Halo 5, but it still had a good look. H5 took everything from 4 and amplified it, which for me doesn’t work in Halo.

I don’t like the new Halo art style. Everything seems so…what’s the proper word, round and bulky? It seems more cartoonish than anything. I like Halo 3 and Halo Reach’s art styles. They seemed more streamlined and realistic. For example: the hallways of the Forward Unto Dawn in Halo 4 seem to large and too unrealistic in comparison to hallways found in the Pillar of Autumn in CE. I wish they would return to a more realistic looking style, like in Reach.

Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)

> 2533274911267611;7:
> Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now.

THAT’S IT! That is exactly it. Everything looks like the “retro-future” version of Star Trek by JJ Abrams, where he attempts to combine modern film technology and realistic future designs with designs from the 1960’s.

Now I personally don’t mind it in THAT context, because I enjoyed Star Trek '09 (but not Into Darkness, however that is another issue entirely.) But in a military shoot-em-up series, this doesn’t fit near as well.

I don’t understand anyone that would ever say the new Halos. Reach and ODST were by far my favorite artisticly - a duller color pallete, more grit and realism. Not Power Rangers Lense Flare like in Halo 5.

> 2533274911267611;7:
> Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)

Dude, I think you hit the nail on the head. That’s a brilliant explanation!

> 2533274863640603;10:
> > 2533274911267611;7:
> > Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)
>
>
> Dude, I think you hit the nail on the head. That’s a brilliant explanation!

Thank you. bows

Basically everything in the Halo wars E3 is what halo needs to look like. And I really really hope that is where 343 is going.

There are some aspects in both styles that I like, but at the end of the day I prefer a darker, grittier style like Halo Reach or what we saw in the Halo Wars 2 trailer. Some armors like Pathfinder, Defender, Fotus, Blue Team armors, etc. I love. Others like Vector, Tracer, and that sort I don’t want to see return.

Old most definitely. 343 took the whole “put our spin on things” way too far in Halo 4. I’m looking at you Forward Unto Dawn. Once again, H5 seems like a step the right way. Chief’s helmet seems to me to have gone back to Halo 3 a little in its appearance.

I agree OP, old style definitely. I hate to always be a 343 downer around here but maybe we complain because we liked it the way it was and never asked for it to change. Especially the SIV armor designs, they just look silly and unrealistic.

> 2533274911267611;7:
> Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)

This “grit” that you speak of was really only present in Reach. Halo: CE was bright and colorful, Halo 3 even more so, and Halo 2 was dull and quite terrible in terms of art style my opinion. Halo has mostly been cartoony in the past 15 years.

> 2533274850493408;9:
> I don’t understand anyone that would ever say the new Halos. Reach and ODST were by far my favorite artisticly - a duller color pallete, more grit and realism. Not Power Rangers Lense Flare like in Halo 5.

THIS

Man I loved Reach’s dark, gritty art style. Halo 5 is just so bright and plastic

> 2533274939958452;16:
> > 2533274911267611;7:
> > Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)
>
>
> This “grit” that you speak of was really only present in Reach. Halo: CE was bright and colorful, Halo 3 even more so, and Halo 2 was dull and quite terrible in terms of art style my opinion. Halo has mostly been cartoony in the past 15 years.

Not super bright, in general. The environments were pretty dark. Halo 2 and 3 I also viewed as being more realistic in terms of color palate, not “colorful”, Only color I saw were Cortana and the Covenant.

> 2533274887950450;19:
> > 2533274939958452;16:
> > > 2533274911267611;7:
> > > Old style looked gritty and looked like a balance of futuristic and modern. gritty, metallic, battle-worn and tempered. Now everything is just too bright and generic scifi. They might as well add a J.J Abrams Lens flare if its the style they are supposedly going for now. (no offense to Abrams, hes actually my favorite director currently)
> >
> >
> > This “grit” that you speak of was really only present in Reach. Halo: CE was bright and colorful, Halo 3 even more so, and Halo 2 was dull and quite terrible in terms of art style my opinion. Halo has mostly been cartoony in the past 15 years.
>
>
> Not super bright, in general. The environments were pretty dark. Halo 2 and 3 I also viewed as being more realistic in terms of color palate, not “colorful”, Only color I saw were Cortana and the Covenant.

exactly, and even the forerunner structures look worn from the elements of Halo 1-3, Reach just multiplied the level it by 2.