Armor Cores & Customization

I’m more concerned with the armor coatings. Colors, patterns, and wear/dirt should all be individually customizable, not tied together. I’d prefer that coatings be patterns, the colors of which are up to the player to customize. So much for player individuality.

5 Likes

So there is at least one major reason I could see for cores restricting armor pieces. It really depends on the base models they use for each core. For example, imagine trying to put Halo Reach armor on a Halo 3 spartan. Some pieces might look a bit off in terms of meshing with the other pieces. I could potentially see this as an issue between the Reach and MK 7 cores. But part of me things the base player models for each core are the same, since it might require tweaking player animations between cores. Nonetheless, things like helmets should be able to be used across any armor core, since their only point of contact with the player model is the neck. I’m very disappointed that it appears there will be no classic MK V or MK VI helmets for the MK 7 armor core :confused:

2 Likes

I support the difference of armor by GEN.

• At first it will not be a problem but in two years, having updates every 3 months, it will be a very big hassle to have so many armor without a clear difference that helps to group them. I don’t want to go back to Halo 5.

• It allows the creative team to properly refine and design these armor pieces so they can be seen well without being ugly.

• I am a defender of the canon and that there are differences by generations allows that there are different types of armor updated to their generation, it would be great to have the GEN II version of the EOD, and then have their GEN III version.

I understand that there are people who prefer to have absolute freedom to design their Spartan however they want. But all freedom must have its limits if we really want this not to end up being a debauchery.

4 Likes

I am not too concerned about it just yet. I like the idea of compartmentalizing our armor somewhat, but I hope it is not too restrictive.

Perhaps in the future there will be an update that allows more customization or perhaps any helmet can go on any core? Akin to the newest MCC’s season with the main armor being in Halo 3, but the helmets also work in Halo: Reach.

I saw that the Mark VI helmet was featured in that IGN article’s image, indicating there will be a Mark VI helmet for the Mark V [B] armor core (I am not sure the official name of the Reach armor core). But I also believe there will be a Mark VI GEN3 Armor Core as well. I suppose we’ll have to wait and learn more, but overall I am relieved to have confirmation of the Mark VI returning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad they’re using this system to be honest. There’s nothing that looks worse in every conceivable way than someone who purposefully mix-matches their armors to make the ugliest and goofiest looking Spartan. Keep the Reach armors with themselves, keep the Gen3 armors with themselves, keep the fracture armors with themselves. It just looks right, makes the most sense and provides some interesting looks like seeing new and old armors side by side.

Not that I really am gonna fight it. If they end up making it all mix-match, i’ll be slightly upset that i’m gonna see people running around with samurai shoulders and random--Yoink!- other pieces but it is what it is lol

3 Likes

I’m still bugged that I can’t choose my own colors still. If 343 is wanting to focus on individuality, they should let us pick our own colors. They can still keep armor coatings for the more fancy effects they have shown like camouflage, but I’d like the option to choose my own colors, even if it won’t be as detailed as their premade coatings.

4 Likes

I had a thought earlier today comparing my issues with Doom Eternal’s customization to what will likely happen with Armor Cores.
(If you are unfamiliar with Doom’s customization system, there are things called Master Collections which contain player skins, emotes, and emblems based around a theme. You can’t put on emotes from a Master Collection unless you have the skin from that collection equipped)

I always find it annoying in Doom that you I can’t put on any emote I want at any time because most of them are locked behind Master Collections. It is similar to Halo’s Armor Cores in that each Master Collection has a specific theme, and some skins have effects that wouldn’t make much sense with certain emotes. (Just like Armor Cores have specific generations and it wouldn’t make sense lore-wise to mix pieces between cores)

My issue is that, if I like a certain emote but I don’t like the skin from that Master Collection, I’m kinda screwed. I have to pick between either my favorite skin OR my favorite emote.
This makes me worried for Armor Cores because if I like a specific piece of armor from a Core, I am obligated to stick to stuff within that Core, even if I don’t like the other armors within that Core. I have to choose between armor pieces I like, instead of the option to put on EVERYTHING I like at once.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry for the wall of text lol.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like customization is just as limiting as I feared it would be, if not WORSE. Some coatings aren’t even compatible between cores, and Armor Kits can’t be customized at all.
I have seen some people mention that bots can wear armor pieces from different cores… so why can’t we?

5 Likes

The shaders being restricted to certain armor cores is the most egregious part I learned from this launch. So not only do you have to unlock colours, you have to unlock colours for each armor core (although actually some are available on more than one, such as Jorge’s colours, so tbh it’s just totally arbitrary). I’m hoping the same isn’t true for visors but it might be for all I know.

The other thing is I don’t think you can unlock Emile or Carter’s shoulders? Unless you wear their armor kit, which seems like a total waste to me considering they made models for them. They even make you unlock left & right shoulders seperately when they could have just unlocked both at the same level & added in those shoulders into the slots left over.

Infact you wouldn’t need armor kits if you unlocked those shoulders, because you could just equip all the pieces anyway, so those slots should just be replaced by the shoulders. Why do armor kits even exist???

4 Likes

If clipping and sizing is such an issue, then why can the bots have cross core customization? Seems like the bots have more customization options than players, whichever is the most backwards thing I’ve ever seen.

5 Likes

Because we can’t have nice things, anything that could benefit the game can and WILL get shot down by people dumb enough.

1 Like

This is annoying but right now I’m even more annoyed about the coatings being exclusive to specific armor cores because I have an armor coating that only works on the default armor core so I have to use that to see it. At the very least if they don’t change the armor pieces being swappable I want to be able to use any armor coating on any armor core. Although this could be because the armor coating is from the gamestop exclusive one so maybe it’s different with the coatings you get in the battle pass but I won’t know for a while since the progression is really slow.

3 Likes

Apparently this is the case with the Bleached Bone coating as well, which is in the shop for $20. This is definitely a problem if even paid items are being restricted…

2 Likes

Nope. Coatings have restrictions. Very few can be used on more than one core.

i miss the old halo customization we had , idk why they had to go and change it . It was fine the way it was i mean if they want to kill their game at launch this is the way to do it . You cant be claiming we have the best customization options and then put this stuff up . Like what ? MCC has way better customization …

2 Likes