Armor Coatings

I have an idea that I haven’t heard yet and want some feedback on. I loved the armor coating personally but I think they take away too much player expression… Which is important because they have such a good customization in infinite. My solution is too keep the pattern of the coatings, but be able to change the primary and secondary colors on said coatings. EX: Scorpian punch but white and blue. Please tell me what you think I would love to know.

This would be exactly the opposite of what the coatings are trying to be.
Remember the coating which was Gundam inspired?
Change the primary/secondary colors and it isn’t Gundam inspired anymore.

Same goes for Scorpion Punch, which slightly resembles the color scheme of the standard N7 armor from Mass Effect.

And no, that idea was proposed many times already. It is useless, as it most definitely won’t happen.

> 2533274974129652;1:
> I have an idea that I haven’t heard yet and want some feedback on. I loved the armor coating personally but I think they take away too much player expression… Which is important because they have such a good customization in infinite. My solution is too keep the pattern of the coatings, but be able to change the primary and secondary colors on said coatings. EX: Scorpian punch but white and blue. Please tell me what you think I would love to know.

I love it but they sort of lose money from it .

> 2535411919953126;3:
> > 2533274974129652;1:
> > I have an idea that I haven’t heard yet and want some feedback on. I loved the armor coating personally but I think they take away too much player expression… Which is important because they have such a good customization in infinite. My solution is too keep the pattern of the coatings, but be able to change the primary and secondary colors on said coatings. EX: Scorpian punch but white and blue. Please tell me what you think I would love to know.
>
> I love it but they sort of lose money from it .

True but a lot of people hate the way coatings take away expression and I like coatings but don’t like that you have forced colors. I want to have the normal preset and then be able to put a paid or earned coating on that and changed the pattern on my armor. Giving it more personal flavor instead of everyone looking the same because scorpion punch looks cool.

I want them to ditch coatings entirely. Everyone said wait until we see it in game, well, I’ve seen it in the preview. And, I still don’t like the system. It still cuts in to customization, and still limits options more than an actual primary/secondary/etc colour system.

We finally get a Halo game where we can have our custom Spartan colours appear in team multiplayer, and we’re limited to preset colour options. Yeah, not a fan. Didn’t like it in Destiny, don’t like it in Halo.

> 2533274850720194;5:
> I want them to ditch coatings entirely. Everyone said wait until we see it in game, well, I’ve seen it in the preview. And, I still don’t like the system. It still cuts in to customization, and still limits options more than an actual primary/secondary/etc colour system.
>
> We finally get a Halo game where we can have our custom Spartan colours appear in team multiplayer, and we’re limited to preset colour options. Yeah, not a fan. Didn’t like it in Destiny, don’t like it in Halo.

I agree with you on that point but I still think that it is some what of a good Idea if changed a good bit. I say you can have the primary and secondary with the original color palet and the original way that the colors go on the armor. Then you can add a cool little “pattern” that can make your spartan look how you want it, but this would be unlocked through challenges, battle pass, and store. So you still have the original customization but you can put a different pattern. Yes the mass effect reference would be gone but that doesn’t really matter. I think it would be cool if you could have scorpion punch but with your colors on it.

I’m a fan of the system. I think people are valuing the 2-color system WAY too hard. Fun fact, pretty much everyone in Halo: Reach used some combination of the same small selection of colors. Ascend Hyperion made a video going through the math, the most popular primary colors are… steel and white. And the most popular secondary colors are… steel and white. In primary colors, 2 colors (steel and white) made up 46% of respondents colors. In secondary colors, that number drops to about 25%.

What I’m getting at is: your favorite color combo? Statistically you WILL see an armor coating that uses that combo. Not only that, but you’ll probably have several to choose from as well. And as the years go on, players will be so saturated with choice that it will be basically impossible for there NOT to be a coating you don’t find nearly perfect. Even if your favorite color combo is something ugly and obscure like pink and green, there’s a high likelihood you’ll see it represented eventually, whereas people who like popular combos, e.g. white/red, black/red, black/blue etc. will have lots of different options to choose from, so even if you end up with the same exact colors as another person (extremely common in past games. I used steel/green and in every FFA game there was at least one other person with the same two colors) they will be differentiated not only by their armor but also by their coating of choice.

Is it ideal? no. But it’s better than just sticking to the same 2-color formula we’ve had since reach. People are overblowing the negatives and seemingly completely forgetting the positives in favor of a totally utopic vision of the system.

> 2535411347511088;7:
> I’m a fan of the system. I think people are valuing the 2-color system WAY too hard. Fun fact, pretty much everyone in Halo: Reach used some combination of the same small selection of colors. Ascend Hyperion made a video going through the math, the most popular primary colors are… steel and white. And the most popular secondary colors are… steel and white. In primary colors, 2 colors (steel and white) made up 46% of respondents colors. In secondary colors, that number drops to about 25%.
>
> What I’m getting at is: your favorite color combo? Statistically you WILL see an armor coating that uses that combo. Not only that, but you’ll probably have several to choose from as well. And as the years go on, players will be so saturated with choice that it will be basically impossible for there NOT to be a coating you don’t find nearly perfect. Even if your favorite color combo is something ugly and obscure like pink and green, there’s a high likelihood you’ll see it represented eventually, whereas people who like popular combos, e.g. white/red, black/red, black/blue etc. will have lots of different options to choose from, so even if you end up with the same exact colors as another person (extremely common in past games. I used steel/green and in every FFA game there was at least one other person with the same two colors) they will be differentiated not only by their armor but also by their coating of choice.
>
> Is it ideal? no. But it’s better than just sticking to the same 2-color formula we’ve had since reach. People are overblowing the negatives and seemingly completely forgetting the positives in favor of a totally utopic vision of the system.

Yes I agree with almost everything you said except for that my point is not to take it away because I personally love the idea of it. My point is to bring the color system to it, which you brought up. What I mean by this though is yes I know that I will get the pallet I want, but not on that pattern that I want. Yes it’s stretching a bit but I like the idea of getting a patter but you can put a completely different color that suits you more.

I guarantee we will see some armor coatings with multiple variants at some point.
Color customization would be cool, but not good business model wise.

> 2533274816257608;9:
> I guarantee we will see some armor coatings with multiple variants at some point.
> Color customization would be cool, but not good business model wise.

Yeah that is true they definitely would make less money from it but the patterns would still be paid for or earned by challenges.

> 2533274974129652;10:
> > 2533274816257608;9:
> > I guarantee we will see some armor coatings with multiple variants at some point.
> > Color customization would be cool, but not good business model wise.
>
> Yeah that is true they definitely would make less money from it but the patterns would still be paid for or earned by challenges.

I’m okay with what we’ve got.

> 2533274974129652;4:
> > 2535411919953126;3:
> > > 2533274974129652;1:
> > > I have an idea that I haven’t heard yet and want some feedback on. I loved the armor coating personally but I think they take away too much player expression… Which is important because they have such a good customization in infinite. My solution is too keep the pattern of the coatings, but be able to change the primary and secondary colors on said coatings. EX: Scorpian punch but white and blue. Please tell me what you think I would love to know.
> >
> > I love it but they sort of lose money from it .
>
> True but a lot of people hate the way coatings take away expression and I like coatings but don’t like that you have forced colors. I want to have the normal preset and then be able to put a paid or earned coating on that and changed the pattern on my armor. Giving it more personal flavor instead of everyone looking the same because scorpion punch looks cool.

Yeah,
I agree but coatings are a clear monetization choice.
They take from base expression yet still allow for potentially the most expression in game to date.
The system is pretty cut and dry.
It is clear how it works and why it exists. It does
what you are asking for in terms of expression. To ask them to reduce it’s value is to have your cake and eat it.
Not a crazy request but one that clearly goes against the design philosophy of this free to play model.
Essentially the request reads as this;
I want coatings but in a way that fundamentally isn’t coatings.
I’ve made my peace with the system.
This request isn’t by any means a new concept it has been put forward since coatings were explained.
Ultimately this is the most expressive halo to date so to complain about player expression is almost asinine.
Yes freedom/control has been lost but expression has not.
The 2 while tied are not synonymous.
The game also needs to be profitable.
It is projected to be the most expensive game in industry history, so removing clear paths of revenue, while not ideal for consumers is certainly not something we should expect.
I won’t put any more money into infinite beyond gamepass and I won’t deny 343i in creating avenues for profit from those who will.

> 2533274886490718;2:
> This would be exactly the opposite of what the coatings are trying to be.
> Remember the coating which was Gundam inspired?
> Change the primary/secondary colors and it isn’t Gundam inspired anymore.
>
> Same goes for Scorpion Punch, which slightly resembles the color scheme of the standard N7 armor from Mass Effect.
>
> And no, that idea was proposed many times already. It is useless, as it most definitely won’t happen.

The Gundam inspired coating changed my mind completely in being mixed about coatings. I like the system however not everyone will. 343i has to prove everyone this is a better system in terms of quality.

> 2533274974129652;1:
> I have an idea that I haven’t heard yet and want some feedback on. I loved the armor coating personally but I think they take away too much player expression… Which is important because they have such a good customization in infinite. My solution is too keep the pattern of the coatings, but be able to change the primary and secondary colors on said coatings. EX: Scorpian punch but white and blue. Please tell me what you think I would love to know.

I think that is a good idea
the point of coatings would still remain since in the halo games you could only change the overall color of your armor
and coatings add different patterns and color layouts to mess with
I hope they add it later!

I just want good coatings. There is nothing I want. Every time I see something somewhat interesting, I want to change it up a bit. And the worst part is: once I find a coating that is good enough then every coating I unlock afterwards would be an annoyance.

I think the best way for coatings to keep the monetization value and have great player expression is to be able to select individual coatings for each armor piece. (eg. Scorpion Punch Helmet, Recruit Purple Right Shoulder, etc.)

I think the customization is cool in a way which allows more different schemes but I enjoy the original coloring of one base color for all the armor.

When people say it cuts down on customization I find it hard to believe. Because previously if I wore recon and chose gunmetal and red. I looked the exact same as every other recon with those colors. Now I will have multiple patterns for that same armor with said colors and even different textures and themes that can be applied to recon and every other armor I like.

I honestly hope they add the default pattern from all previous games with the ability to change its colors. Just so they will have the statistics to show it doesn’t actually give you more customization to pick two colors.