Armor coating opinions

Hey Everyone! The test flight for Infinite was awesome! But there’s one thing that I didn’t like. In previous Halo games we could pick exactly what colors we wanted our Spartans. In the flight it seemed like our colors are tied to a pre-made armor core. To be honest I’m not a huge fan. I’d rather be able to choose like in previous Halo games. Maybe it’s something they’re gonna add later, but I’m not sure. What do the rest of you think about this new system?

It’s been confirmed for quite some time now that we’ll be getting armor coatings in Infinite instead of the core colours from previous Halo. It has been a hot topic amongst the community. I’m the long run however we’ll have a massive pool of customisation to choose from. Almost no one Spartan would look the same. It would really be your own unique take on your super soldier.

> 2535445608274502;2:
> It’s been confirmed for quite some time now that we’ll be getting armor coatings in Infinite instead of the core colours from previous Halo. It has been a hot topic amongst the community. I’m the long run however we’ll have a massive pool of customisation to choose from. Almost no one Spartan would look the same. It would really be your own unique take on your super soldier.

Ahhhh I see. I was really hoping that wouldn’t be the case. It’s nice that there will be a huge pool to choose from, but I’d really rather have the option to pick my specific colors.

> 2533274813401274;3:
> > 2535445608274502;2:
> > It’s been confirmed for quite some time now that we’ll be getting armor coatings in Infinite instead of the core colours from previous Halo. It has been a hot topic amongst the community. I’m the long run however we’ll have a massive pool of customisation to choose from. Almost no one Spartan would look the same. It would really be your own unique take on your super soldier.
>
> but I’d really rather have the option to pick my specific colors.

Same for me. I’m hoping my preferred colours will be there at launch. We’re relying on 343i creating the colour we want, and hope it’s available without a grind or put behind a paywall. I don’t like the new colour system at all.

I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.

The two colour options were very plain.

> 2533274801036271;5:
> I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
>
> The two colour options were very plain.

Different opinions. The coatings are fine and some look excellent but I won’t bother with them if the colours don’t appeal. There is no reason for denying us the option to pick our own colours except money and content to pad season passes and the store. I recently updated Gears 5, they sell everything in a paid game… I dread to think what the free to play Halo Infinite will be like.

> 2592250499819446;6:
> > 2533274801036271;5:
> > I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
> >
> > The two colour options were very plain.
>
> Different opinions. The coatings are fine and some look excellent but I won’t bother with them if the colours don’t appeal. There is no reason for denying us the option to pick our own colours except money and content to pad season passes and the store. I recently updated Gears 5, they sell everything in a paid game… I dread to think what the free to play Halo Infinite will be like.

It is a Scary thought, but hopefully they don’t go overboard with it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I really want this game to be amazing!

> 2533274813401274;7:
> > 2592250499819446;6:
> > > 2533274801036271;5:
> > > I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
> > >
> > > The two colour options were very plain.
> >
> > Different opinions. The coatings are fine and some look excellent but I won’t bother with them if the colours don’t appeal. There is no reason for denying us the option to pick our own colours except money and content to pad season passes and the store. I recently updated Gears 5, they sell everything in a paid game… I dread to think what the free to play Halo Infinite will be like.
>
> It is a Scary thought, but hopefully they don’t go overboard with it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I really want this game to be amazing!

Same here. I’ve been a Halo fan since Halo CE was released. But I don’t like this colour system, especially as it’s tied to progression and season passes. I’ve heard it said that cosmetics don’t affect gameplay… Well they do if I’m grinding a season pass I’ve paid for and unlock items that I cannot apply my colour of choice to because I don’t have the shader.

It’s been a hot topic in the community since it was announced. General consensus seems to be it’s lame we can’t choose our colours and they’re probably only going with this system to sell them easier as mtx.

> 2533274813401274;3:
> > 2535445608274502;2:
> > It’s been confirmed for quite some time now that we’ll be getting armor coatings in Infinite instead of the core colours from previous Halo. It has been a hot topic amongst the community. I’m the long run however we’ll have a massive pool of customisation to choose from. Almost no one Spartan would look the same. It would really be your own unique take on your super soldier.
>
> Ahhhh I see. I was really hoping that wouldn’t be the case. It’s nice that there will be a huge pool to choose from, but I’d really rather have the option to pick my specific colors.

Yeah I understand that. It’s a view most people share. I know people think it seems like it’ll be an awful implementation, but I’ll save my judgement for it until the game releases officially. If it’s not grossly restricted to paying for “good” coatings then I’ll be happy with it. It doesn’t seem like 343 is going to do that though. They do seem to be having a player first focused approach to everything they add.

I just can’t wait to get the game in my hands so we can all see what it’s like. Then we can express our feelings and thoughts on the final product.

I feel like this is the cost of going free to play, and I’m honestly okay with it, but they could easily give those of us who buy the campaign the option to have two fully customizable colors like in previous games. Just a thought.

Personally I will think it will add alot more variety to the mix. Before you were practically the exact same Spartan as everyone that had those colors and that armor equipped.

Now there should be dozens of patterns with colors you like. Some could even have more then the traditional 2 colors and they can apply to every armor.

> 2533274801036271;5:
> I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
>
> The two colour options were very plain.

Personally, I think the relative plainness makes more sense for military armor.

> 2533274926527272;13:
> > 2533274801036271;5:
> > I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
> >
> > The two colour options were very plain.
>
> Personally, I think the relative plainness makes more sense for military armor.

I mean both worlds can exist if 343i lets it. How would you feel if you could choose an armor coating for each armor piece instead of full armor set?

My biggest thing im afraid of is there wont be an armor coat that i would actually be interested in right from the get go. With your own personal colors i could at least make my spartan appear how i want them to. Now i may have to settle for an armor coat until one that i actually like comes along in the battle pass

> 2533274792737987;14:
> > 2533274926527272;13:
> > > I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
> > >
> >
> > Personally, I think the relative plainness makes more sense for military armor.
>
> I mean both worlds can exist if 343i let’s it. How would you feel if you could choose an armor coating for each armor piece instead of full armor set?

Honestly, that’d be fine. Or maybe have an option where some coatings are only for primary and secondary.

The coatings I’ve seen so far honestly look good, I’m just worried about how long it’ll take to get what I want. I know in Destiny it took me forever to get a coating that I actually thought looked good. Granted, it sounds like there will be a lot more coatings available than in Destiny, so I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

> 2533274926527272;16:
> > 2533274792737987;14:
> > > 2533274926527272;13:
> > > > 2533274801036271;5:
> > > > I think it makes it more exciting when you get a Spartan that captures your essence.
> > > >
> > > > The two colour options were very plain.
> > >
> > > Personally, I think the relative plainness makes more sense for military armor.
> >
> > I mean both worlds can exist if 343i let’s it. How would you feel if you could choose an armor coating for each armor piece instead of full armor set?
>
> Honestly, that’d be fine. Or maybe have an option where some coatings are only for primary and secondary.
>
> The coatings I’ve seen so far honestly look good, I’m just worried about how long it’ll take to get what I want. I know in Destiny it took me forever to get a coating that I actually thought looked good. Granted, it sounds like there will be a lot more coatings available than in Destiny, so I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

There is no reason why they cannot eventually do that. It would be complex at the UI design level however I think that would be perfect if RvB stays dead like we assume it will be

They talk about “wanting players to uniquely express themselves” but armor cores are honestly a contradiction.

> 2535445608274502;10:
> > 2533274813401274;3:
> > > 2535445608274502;2:
> > > It’s been confirmed for quite some time now that we’ll be getting armor coatings in Infinite instead of the core colours from previous Halo. It has been a hot topic amongst the community. I’m the long run however we’ll have a massive pool of customisation to choose from. Almost no one Spartan would look the same. It would really be your own unique take on your super soldier.
> >
> > Ahhhh I see. I was really hoping that wouldn’t be the case. It’s nice that there will be a huge pool to choose from, but I’d really rather have the option to pick my specific colors.
>
> Yeah I understand that. It’s a view most people share. I know people think it seems like it’ll be an awful implementation, but I’ll save my judgement for it until the game releases officially. If it’s not grossly restricted to paying for “good” coatings then I’ll be happy with it. It doesn’t seem like 343 is going to do that though. They do seem to be having a player first focused approach to everything they add.
>
> I just can’t wait to get the game in my hands so we can all see what it’s like. Then we can express our feelings and thoughts on the final product.

Agreed! I don’t agree with the armor cores, but the game played really well. Even after the flight I’ve been dying to play more! I can’t wait for the full release! :grin:

> 2533274792737987;14:
> > 2533274926527272;13:
> > >
> >
> > Personally, I think the relative plainness makes more sense for military armor.
>
> I mean both worlds can exist if 343i lets it. How would you feel if you could choose an armor coating for each armor piece instead of full armor set?

True! Or even armor cores could control the pattern of the colors, while you get to choose which colors you want. That could absolutely work!