Armor Coating: Changes or Improvements?

As I understand it, in Infinite you can not just change your colors like you could in every single Halo game. Instead you unlock them through the store and battle pass, meaning people will be running around with the same pre-made color palettes and patterns. Taking away basic customization will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Maybe this is just a thing with the current Flight build and I’m jumping the gun? I want the best for Infinite and I’m just a little concerned with what was presented.
343 is looking for constructive feedback and this community is full of decent suggestions.

• Allow people to customize their Armor Coating colors.
  • Keep Armor Coatings and old armor customization
  • Add a 3rd and 4th armor color
    Spartan customization needs to evolve.

Armor coatings are awful but 343 seems quite firm that they aren’t going anywhere. It’s a massive step backwards in terms of customization but they need something to monetize and they chose that.

I am excited to see where it goes.

I do not see it as bad, I like the approach of colored skins that they want to implement, they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.

In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.

I’m really looking forward to seeing where the art style will go for future seasons, maybe a season dedicated to the Floods? The Covenant? The ONI? Who knows.

> 2533274842428280;4:
> they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.

No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.

> 2533274842428280;4:
> In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.

I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.

343 needs to rethink their customization.

> 2535444395359788;5:
> > 2533274842428280;4:
> > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
>
> No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
>
>
> > 2533274842428280;4:
> > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
>
> I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
>
> 343 needs to rethink their customization.

Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.

What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.

> 2533274842428280;6:
> > 2535444395359788;5:
> > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
> >
> > No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
> >
> >
> > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
> >
> > I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> > I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
> >
> > 343 needs to rethink their customization.
>
> Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
> Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
>
> What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.

This is exactly right. Taking away the basic color palettes are BS. If we have to pay for color packs then fine. I’m use to it from Warframe. And to be honest there’s more you can do with that! Some people will only want basic colors. Others will want patterns. They could even put a feature in file share to share your color coatings (if the person has the pallets.)

Coatings are BS, is everyone so quick to forget that there were going to be Product promotions from things like Chips Ahoy! And Pringles?

I’m all for the battle pass form of customization. Im fine with armors and such being KINDA locked up. Everything armor and such is essentially paywalled at this point. But color is BASIC. And denying it to the players is HUGE step backwards. Like 20 years back

I think it allows players to show their personality more. I feel like it’s kind of hard with how the armour looks in general to make it your own.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274842428280;6:
> Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
>
> What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.

Everything I said still stands, you didn’t raise any points. You are a boot licker.
343 is moving backwards. Armor Coatings should be customizable.

> 2533274801036271;8:
> I think it allows players to show their personality more. I feel like it’s kind of hard with how the armour looks in general to make it your own.

If you’re talking about Armor Coatings, you’re wrong. It rips away incredibly basic player freedom.

I personally think the Armor Coatings themselves could use an additional (team) color layer to fix the Friend or Foe threat detection, this could also add the possibility to add custom curated colors to certain Armor Coatings if the artist that created them wants to add those, see it as a selection of pastel colors that work with a specific Armor Coating rather than release 6 or 8 separate Armor Coatings that would just clutter up the UI. Small customizations seem to me a good compromise to make Armor Coatings more valuable, such as the curated colors or maybe an option to choose where to put an emblem, left, right, on the back, etc.
I’ve already made a post on how to use a team color layer effectively in one of my own threads covering a proposal on fixing the Friend or Foe system.
I do like the promise and potential of a wide array of unique designs.

> 2533274825992292;7:
> > 2533274842428280;6:
> > > 2535444395359788;5:
> > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
> > >
> > > No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
> > >
> > > I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> > > I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
> > >
> > > 343 needs to rethink their customization.
> >
> > Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
> > Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> > Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
> >
> > What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.
>
> This is exactly right. Taking away the basic color palettes are BS. If we have to pay for color packs then fine. I’m use to it from Warframe. And to be honest there’s more you can do with that! Some people will only want basic colors. Others will want patterns. They could even put a feature in file share to share your color coatings (if the person has the pallets.)
>
> Coatings are BS, is everyone so quick to forget that there were going to be Product promotions from things like Chips Ahoy! And Pringles?
>
> I’m all for the battle pass form of customization. Im fine with armors and such being KINDA locked up. Everything armor and such is essentially paywalled at this point. But color is BASIC. And denying it to the players is HUGE step backwards. Like 20 years back

The basic color palette is available for free without the need to pay any extra. Didn’t you see it in the technical test?

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2535444395359788;9:
> > 2533274842428280;6:
> > Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> > Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
> >
> > What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.
>
> Everything I said still stands, you didn’t raise any points. You are a boot licker.
> 343 is moving backwards. Armor Coatings should be customizable.

*You are a boot licker.*You will have the ego to think that I have to answer you something minimally serious after saying this to me. People like you who only know how to speak in this way do not have space in this forum.

With armor coatings each armor has tons of patterns. I see that as a improvement over the one pattern each armor gets traditionally.

I don’t see how it’s more expressive to have the same gunmetal and red recon as every other person who likes those colors and that armor. (just to be overridden in every game mode except 2)

I’m still a bit mixed up on that one I’ve used a certain colour pallet which is black and yellow and I just hope they add that in because I’m not a fan of the coatings I’ve seen so far. I like the idea but not the way they did it. I wish you were able to change some colour of the coating.

> 2533274842428280;12:
> > 2533274825992292;7:
> > > 2533274842428280;6:
> > > > 2535444395359788;5:
> > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
> > > >
> > > > No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
> > > >
> > > > I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> > > > I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
> > > >
> > > > 343 needs to rethink their customization.
> > >
> > > Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
> > > Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> > > Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
> > >
> > > What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.
> >
> > This is exactly right. Taking away the basic color palettes are BS. If we have to pay for color packs then fine. I’m use to it from Warframe. And to be honest there’s more you can do with that! Some people will only want basic colors. Others will want patterns. They could even put a feature in file share to share your color coatings (if the person has the pallets.)
> >
> > Coatings are BS, is everyone so quick to forget that there were going to be Product promotions from things like Chips Ahoy! And Pringles?
> >
> > I’m all for the battle pass form of customization. Im fine with armors and such being KINDA locked up. Everything armor and such is essentially paywalled at this point. But color is BASIC. And denying it to the players is HUGE step backwards. Like 20 years back
>
> The basic color palette is available for free without the need to pay any extra. Didn’t you see it in the technical test?

Okay but what about inverted? Or if I wanted solid grey with only tertiary coloring? What if I want to have a lime green primary, with a matte pink secondary and a god awful neon teal as tertiary? It’s my Spartan to eye bleed whom I so choose.

Regardless of how anyone feels the BEST middle ground is to offer a blank canvas for creds. Giving access to that which you have unlocked so far. It gives customization back to the players and still adds a placement for monetization by locking it once it’s used. So if you want to use a new pattern or color you have to purchase another.

I get that a lot of people aren’t creative but there are plenty who are. With as many resources that exist in what we’ve seen alone there would be just as many unique as bland. And I’m not saying get rid of it!

I’m asking for a compromise. For those of us that would enjoy the resources available. H5 stepped backwards with customization and that seems to be a theme with 343. Step forward with a step back.

In h4 it was all wrong for people with art style. If the art style was a problem the trade of FF for Spartan Ops was it.

H5 was the preset armor debate.

> 2533274825992292;16:
> > 2533274842428280;12:
> > > 2533274825992292;7:
> > > > 2533274842428280;6:
> > > > > 2535444395359788;5:
> > > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
> > > > >
> > > > > No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
> > > > >
> > > > > I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> > > > > I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
> > > > >
> > > > > 343 needs to rethink their customization.
> > > >
> > > > Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
> > > > Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> > > > Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > > Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > > Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
> > > >
> > > > What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.
> > >
> > > This is exactly right. Taking away the basic color palettes are BS. If we have to pay for color packs then fine. I’m use to it from Warframe. And to be honest there’s more you can do with that! Some people will only want basic colors. Others will want patterns. They could even put a feature in file share to share your color coatings (if the person has the pallets.)
> > >
> > > Coatings are BS, is everyone so quick to forget that there were going to be Product promotions from things like Chips Ahoy! And Pringles?
> > >
> > > I’m all for the battle pass form of customization. Im fine with armors and such being KINDA locked up. Everything armor and such is essentially paywalled at this point. But color is BASIC. And denying it to the players is HUGE step backwards. Like 20 years back
> >
> > The basic color palette is available for free without the need to pay any extra. Didn’t you see it in the technical test?
>
> Okay but what about inverted? Or if I wanted solid grey with only tertiary coloring? What if I want to have a lime green primary, with a matte pink secondary and a god awful neon teal as tertiary? It’s my Spartan to eye bleed whom I so choose.
>
> Regardless of how anyone feels the BEST middle ground is to offer a blank canvas for creds. Giving access to that which you have unlocked so far. It gives customization back to the players and still adds a placement for monetization by locking it once it’s used. So if you want to use a new pattern or color you have to purchase another.
>
> I get that a lot of people aren’t creative but there are plenty who are. With as many resources that exist in what we’ve seen alone there would be just as many unique as bland. And I’m not saying get rid of it!
>
> I’m asking for a compromise. For those of us that would enjoy the resources available. H5 stepped backwards with customization and that seems to be a theme with 343. Step forward with a step back.
>
> In h4 it was all wrong for people with art style. If the art style was a problem the trade of FF for Spartan Ops was it.
>
> H5 was the preset armor debate.

I consider myself a creative person, no more than an artist or a creative could be, but enough to know that having a color customization based on ONE primary color and ONE secondary color without the possibility of choosing the area to be colored, does not allows a lot of creativity. Let’s be honest.

That I understand that each of us has our own preferences, but the fact that it gave us a lot of creative freedom I see taken with a lot of tweezers. Personally, I’m always open to new forms of customization, it’s just a matter of seeing how the new system is doing.

Yeah only choosing armour coatings are seriously limiting, only after a month of playing at launch and you will see the same thing game after game

Custom colours will be a $3.99 dlc post launch. I’m sure no one would be upset if that happened.

> 2533274842428280;17:
> > 2533274825992292;16:
> > > 2533274842428280;12:
> > > > 2533274825992292;7:
> > > > > 2533274842428280;6:
> > > > > > 2535444395359788;5:
> > > > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > > > they give a lot of creative freedom to implement skins with different textures and colors that with a standard color palette we would never have been able to see.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > No they don’t. They rob players of basic customization my dude. People will run around with what they perceive as cool (Chrome Bestbuy employees) each season, just because it’s at the end of the battlepass.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > 2533274842428280;4:
> > > > > > > In the technical test we can actually see the same difference between skins, there is one with the yellow and blue color that gives a chrome style to the armor, while another with some touches of camouflage, the armor plates are more opaque and smooth.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I think most people would rather change the yellow and blue to whatever color they wanted. Yes shiny things are cool, just not at the expense of player freedom.
> > > > > > I’m cool with different materials and patterns on armor, I just hate all the colors being pre-selected. It’s sad.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > 343 needs to rethink their customization.
> > > > >
> > > > > Halo CE: A single main color from the basic color palette, for the entire armor.
> > > > > Halo 2: A single main color from the basic color palette, for all armor. And a secondary color for the center line of the helmet and the arm.
> > > > > Halo 3: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > > > Halo 4: One main color, one secondary color, and one color for two lines of the right arm and the helmet stripe.
> > > > > Halo 5: A primary color, a secondary color, and a color for details.
> > > > >
> > > > > What customization are you talking about? The customization of choosing two basic colors and that’s it? Let’s stop talking nonsense and romanticizing the past. I prefer the creative freedom of colors and palettes that are going to give us with this new system, than the boring and old-fashioned color system that we had before where there were only two to choose from and that’s it.
> > > >
> > > > This is exactly right. Taking away the basic color palettes are BS. If we have to pay for color packs then fine. I’m use to it from Warframe. And to be honest there’s more you can do with that! Some people will only want basic colors. Others will want patterns. They could even put a feature in file share to share your color coatings (if the person has the pallets.)
> > > >
> > > > Coatings are BS, is everyone so quick to forget that there were going to be Product promotions from things like Chips Ahoy! And Pringles?
> > > >
> > > > I’m all for the battle pass form of customization. Im fine with armors and such being KINDA locked up. Everything armor and such is essentially paywalled at this point. But color is BASIC. And denying it to the players is HUGE step backwards. Like 20 years back
> > >
> > > The basic color palette is available for free without the need to pay any extra. Didn’t you see it in the technical test?
> >
> > Okay but what about inverted? Or if I wanted solid grey with only tertiary coloring? What if I want to have a lime green primary, with a matte pink secondary and a god awful neon teal as tertiary? It’s my Spartan to eye bleed whom I so choose.
> >
> > Regardless of how anyone feels the BEST middle ground is to offer a blank canvas for creds. Giving access to that which you have unlocked so far. It gives customization back to the players and still adds a placement for monetization by locking it once it’s used. So if you want to use a new pattern or color you have to purchase another.
> >
> > I get that a lot of people aren’t creative but there are plenty who are. With as many resources that exist in what we’ve seen alone there would be just as many unique as bland. And I’m not saying get rid of it!
> >
> > I’m asking for a compromise. For those of us that would enjoy the resources available. H5 stepped backwards with customization and that seems to be a theme with 343. Step forward with a step back.
> >
> > In h4 it was all wrong for people with art style. If the art style was a problem the trade of FF for Spartan Ops was it.
> >
> > H5 was the preset armor debate.
>
> I consider myself a creative person, no more than an artist or a creative could be, but enough to know that having a color customization based on ONE primary color and ONE secondary color without the possibility of choosing the area to be colored, does not allows a lot of creativity. Let’s be honest.
>
> That I understand that each of us has our own preferences, but the fact that it gave us a lot of creative freedom I see taken with a lot of tweezers. Personally, I’m always open to new forms of customization, it’s just a matter of seeing how the new system is doing.

At this point I think I need to see more of the customization. I didn’t get into the flight and I didn’t see anybody customize anything, I heard a lot of stuff from 3rd parties.
People make it sound like you can’t pick your armor color and are solely reliant on Armor Coatings for customization.

Sorry for being a jerk. I’m very confused on the Armor Coating situation and I haven’t had any of my concerns cleared up.
If I can pick my colors I’m a happy camper.