ARMOR ABILITY VANISHING EXPLAINED IN CANON?

Is there a canon explanation for why SPARTAN-II Mk. V armor wasn’t set to equip a jump pack, or any of the armor abilities found in HALO: REACH? I’ve always found this a bit strange…

In HALO: REACH we clearly see SPARTANS with armor add-on capability, such as using jump packs, and armor lock. I understand this may be explain by them being SPARTAN-III’s, but this doesn’t explain why the much more advanced SPARTAN-II wouldn’t have the ability to equip these features. If the MK. IV armor loadout had the ability to work with such items, then surely the newer MK. V armor would also.

As another note altogether, was it ever explained why the MK. VI armor wasn’t equipped with VISR mode? It would seem almost necessary to equip the helmet of an advanced super soldier fighting in often alien terrain with a helmet HUD that would incorporate infra-red, night vision, and the like. Instead this advanced tech is apparently given to ODST’s and lesser SPARTAN-III’s.

Also, was there ever a canon reason given as to why all the weapons and items from REACH didn’t make it onto the PoA for HALO:CE or why any of it wasn’t readily available during HALO 2 or HALO 3? Just curious.

Armor abilities are not perfectly canonical, and the ones that are don’t function as they do canonically.

ex: there no friggin reason one of the most well conditioned humans in the galaxy, wearing the most advanced armor humanity has developed should only be able to sprint (at normal people speeds) for only 10 seconds.

gameplay is more important than realism.

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered with that. Gameplay.

The official reason AA’s were only in Reach was because they were prototypes and so MC didn’t receive them.

In reality it was for gameplay enhancement.

gameplay is gameplay…sucks for us universe folks but that’s how it is

> gameplay is gameplay…sucks for us universe folks but that’s how it is

the universe folks think to hard :frowning: we are far to logical lol

Infact the AAs do have canon explanations. Sprint for example is something to do with having a dummy module which Kat hacked up in her spare time, inserted into the back of your armour, allowing you to exceed maximum safe power/heat dissipation capacity of the armour for a short time. Or something. And There are two different types of armour lock, one is maximizing the hydrostatic gel layer pressure and the Reach one is some sort of shield overload thing. Its confusing because theyre called the same thing though. They were prototypes which is the reason normal spartan 2s didnt have them, but spec ops strike teams like Noble did. This sort of equipment disparity happens even today, just look at the equipment troubles forces in Iraq have had.

Everything in the games and the universe is canon, thats what 343i is aiming for. Some of it strains the limits of believability though…

I remember on X-play that they were doing an interview with Bungie and the interviewer asked why the armour abilities didn’t appear in later games if this took place before Halo CE.

The person from Bungie said something along the lines of:
“Reach was the military hub of the UNSC, where lots of prototype technology was being tested. When the Covanent glassed then planet, all that technology was lost.”

That’s all I can remember. This was before Reach came out.

^^yes, this does ring a bell.

> Is there a canon explanation for why SPARTAN-II Mk. V armor wasn’t set to equip a jump pack, or any of the armor abilities found in HALO: REACH? I’ve always found this a bit strange…

Is there a reason you believe it isn’t?
Dual wielding in Halo2 has nothing to do with wearing the Mk.VI, just as not having a jetpack in CE has nothing to do with wearing the Mk.V.

Remember how Halo2 and 3 had Elites and Brutes wearing jet and booster packs, but there were no Brutes in CE and no jetpacks in CE?

Do you not remember in “the Fall of Reach” the Chief, Linda and James strapped on some jetbacks and infiltrated a UNSC vessel that had yet to purge its data… and Jame’s jetpack was hit by a needle and this caused his pack to send him into orbit and probably his death?

Do you not realise that Spartan IVs using Mk.VII suits are using AAs?