Armor Ability Balance Ideas.

Since I’ve noticed that a dominate amount of players use Active Camo, Promethean Vision, Jetpack and to a lesser extent Thruster Pack and Hologram I can only assume that these are the best Armor Abilities you can use for your own personal needs.

I understand that Regenerator Shield, Hardlight Shield, Autosentry are all team support abilities but what if you could balance out all of them in a way that could help yourself and your allies at the same time. Just some ideas.

Active Camo: Current Stealth visibility is okay but the length is still a bit long, to compensate a 25% shorter timer. Currently unsure on how to make this stronger team play wise but I’m up for suggestions.

Promethean Vision: Now I use this a lot to simply scan people to call them out for my teammates, but the range of this thing is insane sometimes and is enough to see 75% of the map on the smaller ones. To compensate for a range decrease of 50%, if you are near your teammates when you use PV it’ll ‘tag’ opponents with a 1-2 second way point similar to the Nemesis mod.

Jetpack: I actually think this is fairly balanced and I don’t see why it should change nor could I see any team play applications other than your teammate standing on your head and jet packing him up to weird places.

Thruster Pack: Sort of similar to the Jet Pack but the distance traveled definitely needs to be somewhere in between the current distance and the Flood mode version, I’d say smack dab in the middle. No team play applications on movement abilities it seems.

Hologram: It is definitely more balanced than Reach as it shows red on the cursor now and definitely seems more stable. I’ve even fooled my own Teammates into thinking that the Hologram is me ironically, however to boost its useability I think that it should keep track of whether you are sprinting or moving normally to have a more convincing trick up your sleeve.

Regeneration Field: It is fairly balanced for increasing your shield regeneration time an awful lot but if you are still getting shot it definitely isn’t going to kick up any time soon. I think that it should have 2 way shield with a low health bar (Say 1-3 shots or a power weapon smash) so it can actually save a teammate or yourself from imminent death. To compensate for this buff it’ll have 50% more cool down.

Hardlight Shield: I actually think this armor ability only delays your death when you use it incorrectly however it could make for the ultimate team ability by taking a chapter from the Watcher’s book and shielding your teammates from harm by keeping your cursor on them. Of course there would be a short maximum range that you can do this from but I think this would be a really great idea to make this a useful ability.

Autosentry: Most people ignore this armor ability because most of what it does it only reduces a shot count on a player by 1, is easily destroyed by 3 shots of precision rifles and is very loud and obnoxious which alerts enemies of their presence and does not increase the likely hood of killing multiple opponents like other abilities.

I could see this either getting a damage buff, tracking buff, health buff or maybe even some radical new changes like being able to summon one that will follow your movement paths or being able to send them to way points like the Hologram. It definitely needs something.

Those are it for my ideas, I’m looking forward to seeing other peoples takes on how to balance these armor abilities out!

Concerning AC I actually like the new radar system better than the old because it’s not trying to be a jammer. It’s a red flag (that doesn’t also hide you). I think it would have been better if 343 had used a different visual effect (opaque blue circle underneath players using camo?) on the radar to cue people into how the AA is being used differently than Reach, but even still I like it.

If it wasn’t pretending to be a Radar Jammer I’d like it to be a different cue entirely however as it is now I would like it to have some use as it did in Reach. Its still a red flag however you’ll be less inclined to go somewhere with many red dots so it would act as a better deterrent I believe.

You say PV and Camo are already the most used and then want to make them stronger D:

> You say PV and Camo are already the most used and then want to make them stronger D:

I want to make them weaker for the individual but stronger for the team using lesser ranges or time durations but giving them unique properties to enforce team play.

I think a 50% range nerf to PV makes it pretty stable…

> > You say PV and Camo are already the most used and then want to make them stronger D:
>
> I want to make them weaker for the individual but stronger for the team using lesser ranges or time durations but giving them unique properties to enforce team play.
>
> I think a 50% range nerf to PV makes it pretty stable…

I think you may be thinking of PV the wrong way. It’s a corner-peeker X-ray vision. It doesn’t matter if you can see the red outline of an enemy a floor above you across the map. It matters that you know exactly where the two guys around the corner are, at the moment, you see them for 3-5 seconds and either go in with PV on or take it off and go off your assumption. Marking the people you see even AFTER you disable PV is an insane boost to its power, in my opinion.

And radar jamming? Active camo is already almost impossible to see, even with the floating cloud of blue dots. Why would we want to make it even harder to be aware of an invisible? The more effective radar jamming is playing a team with all Holograms. Ever played a 4v4 in Haven and see 8 red dots? THAT’s effective.

> If it wasn’t pretending to be a Radar Jammer I’d like it to be a different cue entirely however as it is now I would like it to have some use as it did in Reach. Its still a red flag however you’ll be less inclined to go somewhere with many red dots so it would act as a better deterrent I believe.

But it should not act as a deturrent to the “attacking” player in that way. As someone approaching a camo user you should have something to cue you into the ability which acts to the users disadvantage. Radar jamming in reach was an advantage which I often used AC specifically for because apart from the visual effect of cloaking, effectively cloaking on the radar (you know I’m there but not precisely where) can be just as powerful.

So as it is now you have the red flag but you can’t hide under it. You have visual cloaking but at the cost of your detectibility on radar (without other things going on.)

Otherwise I do like your idea of shortening the effective distance of PV and MAYBE including a Rainbow Six style target-tagging function, plus doing something more to make thruster pack worth using.

For the moving auto sentry idea, isnt that really just a sentinel?

I like most of you ideas, except where you mess with AAs that are already quite balanced such as the Hologram and regen field.

HLS I’m really on the fence with between keeping it or losing it, it just slows down the gameplay and is SO easy to counter.

AC just needs nerfs or removal, it’s overused and promotes camping.

PV, well… Meh I don’t see it as much more than a glorified radar.

Oh, and Jetpack FTW!

The AA’s should all just improve mobility in my opinion.

> > > You say PV and Camo are already the most used and then want to make them stronger D:
> >
> > I want to make them weaker for the individual but stronger for the team using lesser ranges or time durations but giving them unique properties to enforce team play.
> >
> > I think a 50% range nerf to PV makes it pretty stable…
>
> I think you may be thinking of PV the wrong way. It’s a corner-peeker X-ray vision. It doesn’t matter if you can see the red outline of an enemy a floor above you across the map. It matters that you know exactly where the two guys around the corner are, at the moment, you see them for 3-5 seconds and either go in with PV on or take it off and go off your assumption. Marking the people you see even AFTER you disable PV is an insane boost to its power, in my opinion.
>
>
> And radar jamming? Active camo is already almost impossible to see, even with the floating cloud of blue dots. Why would we want to make it even harder to be aware of an invisible? The more effective radar jamming is playing a team with all Holograms. Ever played a 4v4 in Haven and see 8 red dots? THAT’s effective.

I’d think of PV as being a dedicated corner-peeker if it had half the range, but if I’m able to call out enemies on the other side of Haven without even visually seeing them I think that is a huge disadvantage to the other team assuming your team knows where the call out locations are.

Perhaps if the enemies only got marked for your teammates as long as you see them in Promethean Vision and it disappears when or if you take it off it could be more balanced.

In regards to Active Camoflague, as a player who plays a reasonable distance from my TV I have never had problems spotting an ‘invisible’ person crouch walking around however I guess to people who play at a distance or on CRTs might be at a disadvantage when it comes to that so I’ll retract my idea for complete radar jamming and offer up the challenge of you guys deciding how to make it less powerful for the individual and more tactical for your teammates.

> AC just needs nerfs or removal, it’s overused and promotes camping.

Well not as I use it on small maps (spot counter to PV and way to mind–Yoink- with people into expecting a camper when my strategy is to instead run out screaming with a surpressor. You’ll be surprised to know this actually works) but there definitely is a core problem with including invisability as an AA. I think they got it to a functional level now but we’re still trying to reconcile the difference between how Camo was used from Halo’s 1-3 (covert infiltration, sneaking) to how it’s generally used now (sniping/shotgun camping.) Though even sacking it as an AA brings certain problems too if you do the obvious thing and include it as ordnance (because that hands it to those people who least need it).

> For the moving auto sentry idea, isnt that really just a sentinel?

I’d actually like it if it shot a beam instead of blips of Megaman pellets! But that would require a complete overhaul I think…

> I like most of you ideas, except where you mess with AAs that are already quite balanced such as the Hologram and regen field.
>
> HLS I’m really on the fence with between keeping it or losing it, it just slows down the gameplay and is SO easy to counter.
>
> AC just needs nerfs or removal, it’s overused and promotes camping.
>
> PV, well… Meh I don’t see it as much more than a glorified radar.
>
> Oh, and Jetpack FTW!
>
> The AA’s should all just improve mobility in my opinion.

When messing with the armor abilities I didn’t want to just balance the overpowered ones, I wanted to give incentives to use the underused ones because I believe that to balance things isn’t only to take away, but to strengthen others so everything doesn’t get numbed down into uselessness.

I still think being able to Hardlight Shield your teammate would be a super cool idea.

OP - This is a good read and pretty reasonable suggestions… Kudos…

> > > > You say PV and Camo are already the most used and then want to make them stronger D:
> > >
> > > I want to make them weaker for the individual but stronger for the team using lesser ranges or time durations but giving them unique properties to enforce team play.
> > >
> > > I think a 50% range nerf to PV makes it pretty stable…
> >
> > I think you may be thinking of PV the wrong way. It’s a corner-peeker X-ray vision. It doesn’t matter if you can see the red outline of an enemy a floor above you across the map. It matters that you know exactly where the two guys around the corner are, at the moment, you see them for 3-5 seconds and either go in with PV on or take it off and go off your assumption. Marking the people you see even AFTER you disable PV is an insane boost to its power, in my opinion.
> >
> >
> > And radar jamming? Active camo is already almost impossible to see, even with the floating cloud of blue dots. Why would we want to make it even harder to be aware of an invisible? The more effective radar jamming is playing a team with all Holograms. Ever played a 4v4 in Haven and see 8 red dots? THAT’s effective.
>
> I’d think of PV as being a dedicated corner-peeker if it had half the range, but if I’m able to call out enemies on the other side of Haven without even visually seeing them I think that is a huge disadvantage to the other team assuming your team knows where the call out locations are.
>
> Perhaps if the enemies only got marked for your teammates as long as you see them in Promethean Vision and it disappears when or if you take it off it could be more balanced.
>
>
> In regards to Active Camoflague, as a player who plays a reasonable distance from my TV I have never had problems spotting an ‘invisible’ person crouch walking around however I guess to people who play at a distance or on CRTs might be at a disadvantage when it comes to that so I’ll retract my idea for complete radar jamming and offer up the challenge of you guys deciding how to make it less powerful for the individual and more tactical for your teammates.

It’s tough. I play on a terrible quality HUMONGOUS tube tv. I can’t see an invisible without STRAINING and looking for nothing but that tell-tale ripple. Even then it’s difficult.

My friend, on the other hand, I know he plays on a top-of-the-line brand new 1080p HD flatscreen etc. etc. He says invisibility is meaningless to him - he sees them all instantly. And I have played both with and against him and it is true.

So, I guess it depends on what you’re playing on how hard it is to see AC users.

> > > > > It’s tough. I play on a terrible quality HUMONGOUS tube tv. I can’t see an invisible without STRAINING and looking for nothing but that tell-tale ripple. Even then it’s difficult.
> > > > >
> > > > > My friend, on the other hand, I know he plays on a top-of-the-line brand new 1080p HD flatscreen etc. etc. He says invisibility is meaningless to him - he sees them all instantly. And I have played both with and against him and it is true.
> > > > >
> > > > > So, I guess it depends on what you’re playing on how hard it is to see AC users.
> > > >
> > > > I have no idea how they would be able to balance this out across all forms of TV or even be able to fix it at all, before this I never really factored in that people are using different TVs for playing that it might determine whether or not Camo people get the advantage on them or not.
> > > >
> > > > I’d definitely advocate for removal or at least Ordnance Power-up if this is the case to make it more rare.
> > > >
> > > > It is definitely not fair for people with lower hardware.

> > AC just needs nerfs or removal, it’s overused and promotes camping.
>
> Well not as I use it on small maps (spot counter to PV and way to mind–Yoink!- with people into expecting a camper when my strategy is to instead run out screaming with a surpressor. You’ll be surprised to know this actually works) but there definitely is a core problem with including invisability as an AA. I think they got it to a functional level now but we’re still trying to reconcile the difference between how Camo was used from Halo’s 1-3 (covert infiltration, sneaking) to how it’s generally used now (sniping/shotgun camping.) Though even sacking it as an AA brings certain problems too if you do the obvious thing and include it as ordnance (because that hands it to those people who least need it).

I‘ve used it like that too but found it more effective to simply zoom over enemies and land right next to them for a melee.

But it’s really annoying to go into a Camo area on your radar only to find that there are two or more Camo users in the same spot with one slipping in behind you and the others getting yoinks on his assassinations or sniping away. But that only really happens in CTF, my most played game type /:

I use the hardlight, and it’s taking time to learn how to play it. The shield can absorb any damage from the front but is balanced by slower movement speed, vulnerability from all angles around and above the shield and it resets the shields recharge rate when activated.

I think it is amazing and yet very balanced, it allows me to deflect rockets all all types and kill the enemy when i use it at the right moments and buy you time to escape whilst your shields are down. Hopefully i’ll master it soon enough.

> I use the hardlight, and it’s taking time to learn how to play it. The shield can absorb any damage from the front but is balanced by slower movement speed, vulnerability from all angles around and above the shield and it resets the shields recharge rate when activated.
>
> I think it is amazing and yet very balanced, it allows me to deflect rockets all all types and kill the enemy when i use it at the right moments and buy you time to escape whilst your shields are down. Hopefully i’ll master it soon enough.

Now this is definitely commendable and I’m really proud for you sticking to your shield but when the other abilities are simply ‘press button to be 100% efficient’ with their Armor Abilities I’d at least like some neat tricks to go without something that needs more skill to use to compensate.

My trick with the Hardlight Shield is to jump backwards and use it to save myself from the slowed movement for at least a jump length.

Everything you’ve said besides the change to Thruster Pack created the perfect imbalance. I don’t support your ideas.

Hardlight Shield is very often misused.