arent the games eu

i saw some one say the books were wrote before the games were made(correct me if im wrong) but that lead me to think that the games were technically expanded universe i am so confused! someone help unconfused me please!

The games came first and are the foundation of the entire series. Halo 1 was in development before 1999 and released 2001. The first novel, Fall of Reach released a couple of weeks before Halo CE as a way to promote the game. Reportedly it was written in a very short amount of time.

Everything is on the same level. No expanded universe, in terms of how Star Wars had expanded universe. Everything is treated equal. No media is discriminated. :slight_smile:

Bungie regarded everything as canon but set the games as the standard against which all continuity was measured. “EU” material published during their run tended to be very self-contained. Minor references popped up once in a while (e.g. Onyx being mentioned in Halo 3’s terminals) but it wasn’t necessary to read every book, comic, and promotional website in order to understand the games. They weren’t afraid to completely override older material if doing so suited the story they wanted to tell, which is why Reach changes the invasion so extensively. Canon was basically treated with the old Star Wars approach in which everything was valid but some stuff was more valid than others.

343i’s approach is drastically different. These days the “everything is canon” stance is adhered to almost religiously, hence the existence of the Story Team. Connections exist throughout all 343i-produced media to such an extent that everything becomes required reading. Indeed, Halo 4 probably makes little very sense to those who haven’t read Greg Bear’s Forerunner Saga. They’ve also done a lot to fill in plot holes from earlier works, particularly when they retconned The Fall of Reach back into relevance through the Data Drops on Waypoint.
TL;DR - There is no Halo expanded universe. There is only the universe. Everything counts.

> 2533274900126904;4:
> Bungie regarded everything as canon but set the games as the standard against which all continuity was measured. “EU” material published during their run tended to be very self-contained. Minor references popped up once in a while (e.g. Onyx being mentioned in Halo 3’s terminals) but it wasn’t necessary to read every book, comic, and promotional website in order to understand the games. They weren’t afraid to completely override older material if doing so suited the story they wanted to tell, which is why Reach changes the invasion so extensively. Canon was basically treated with the old Star Wars approach in which everything was valid but some stuff was more valid than others.
>
> 343i’s approach is drastically different. These days the “everything is canon” stance is adhered to almost religiously, hence the existence of the Story Team. Connections exist throughout all 343i-produced media to such an extent that everything becomes required reading. Indeed, Halo 4 probably makes little very sense to those who haven’t read Greg Bear’s Forerunner Saga. They’ve also done a lot to fill in plot holes from earlier works, particularly when they retconned The Fall of Reach back into relevance through the Data Drops on Waypoint.
> TL;DR - There is no Halo expanded universe. There is only the universe. Everything counts.

Having said all that, their are parts of the books / comics / in game video which are in serious conflict with each other. So the canon status of MJOLNIR armors ability to withstand damage is somewhat floating, from what is a relatively low impact capacity of a thrown knife penetrating shield and armor (Escalations), versus some of the description of the shields capacity to deflect relatively high energy rifle rounds.
Or the didact’s armor being penetrated by a knife. Given the description of Mark V armor by 343GS as being significantly under what would normally be expected to fight the flood, and the didact probably wearing some of the best armor the forerunner’s ever developed, something in the equation doesn’t work.

The games came first, so whoever told you that the books were first is quite wrong. The games have always been the foundation of the Halo series just as the movies have always been the foundation for Star Wars, so anything that isn’t a game is what would considered “EU”.