Aren't mantises supposed to be anti-air?

In halo 4 and 5, the mantises were most efficient against air units, with their ability to lock onto banshees and their gatling dealt pretty good damage to air too.
So why are they now bad against air? balance?

> 2533274891735647;1:
> In halo 4 and 5, the mantises were most efficient against air units, with their ability to lock onto banshees and their gatling dealt pretty good damage to air too.
> So why are they now bad against air? balance?

Yeah its all to do with balance. If they were good it make the Wolverine redundant as you could build a load of mantises that are both effective against ground and air units.

> 2533274891735647;1:
> In halo 4 and 5, the mantises were most efficient against air units, with their ability to lock onto banshees and their gatling dealt pretty good damage to air too.

Scorpions in the FPS series were able to shoot down air with their main cannon. Obviously, in the RTS that would not be balanced so in Halo wars it does not happen. Same applies for mantises.

> 2533274891735647;1:

Really it just doesn’t make sense. They even have a target designator to.

> 2533274846367343;4:
> > 2533274891735647;1:
> > In halo 4 and 5, the mantises were most efficient against air units, with their ability to lock onto banshees and their gatling dealt pretty good damage to air too.
> > So why are they now bad against air? balance?
>
> Really it just doesn’t make sense. They even have a target designator to.

With no mini-mac for it either, like in H4.

I kinda wish that the mantis was a better Wolverine that replaced the wolverine, and that the colossus was a siege unit that replaced the Kodiak. That would’ve made Johnson much more playable.

> 2533274924073601;6:
> I kinda wish that the mantis was a better Wolverine that replaced the wolverine, and that the colossus was a siege unit that replaced the Kodiak. That would’ve made Johnson much more playable.

That’s solid, but Johnson is very capable against other leaders imo

> 2533274853154903;7:
> > 2533274924073601;6:
> > I kinda wish that the mantis was a better Wolverine that replaced the wolverine, and that the colossus was a siege unit that replaced the Kodiak. That would’ve made Johnson much more playable.
>
> That’s solid, but Johnson is very capable against other leaders imo

I think he’s very capable in 3v3 and 2v2, but in 1v1 his late-game leaves a lot to be desired. Colossi and Mantises are not a very strong endgame composition for their cost.

> 2533274924073601;6:
> I kinda wish that the mantis was a better Wolverine that replaced the wolverine, and that the colossus was a siege unit that replaced the Kodiak. That would’ve made Johnson much more playable.

Interesting idea. Then Johnson would still have the units that make the most sense canonically for him, being scorpions and hogs. He used those tons in HCE through H3.

> 2533274924073601;8:
> > 2533274853154903;7:
> > > 2533274924073601;6:
> > > I kinda wish that the mantis was a better Wolverine that replaced the wolverine, and that the colossus was a siege unit that replaced the Kodiak. That would’ve made Johnson much more playable.
> >
> > That’s solid, but Johnson is very capable against other leaders imo
>
> I think he’s very capable in 3v3 and 2v2, but in 1v1 his late-game leaves a lot to be desired. Colossi and Mantises are not a very strong endgame composition for their cost.

Yes I agree, just as isabel isnt great early game. These are all good things, otherwise we are playing chess. Johnson late game isnt to be desired, unless you have a proper build for him. It’s all a part of using strengths of each leader to one’s advantage. I think its great that some leaders are more viable early, mid and late game. It’s all about dictating were the game goes.
Bottom line, I think Johnson is top 4 in 1s. Just my opinion.

> 2533274924073601;6:

Great idea. Mantises would have tougher armor and be better against infantry than wolverines are, with the penalty of speed. They need to make this happen.