Arena Season 11 - A simple Question (BS ANGEL)

To whom it may concern: (BS Angel/MM Systems Team)

I have a simple question to ask that has yet to be answered despite months of questions and feedback on the playlist 'Arena".

Will there be any changes made to Arena for the upcoming Season? It would be a welcome relief to see that you would take the time to respond to my question. I and many others who enjoy Arena and many others who want to see changes to it would like to hear the answer.

I think it’s only fair since a question regarding Invasions potential future was answered two bulletins ago. Thus, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask the same courtesy for knowledge of Arena’s future. I welcome any response you can offer me at this time.

Please ‘thank’ this thread if you agree with my plight. I would actually like BS Angel to read and respond to it if possible.

There won’t be a change. I’ve been asking for very simple changes that are supported by 99% of the competitive community since Bungie was in charge.

-Remove jet pack
-Remove Swordbase, Uncaged, and Reflection
-Add credit jackpots all the time or at least more often

That’s it. That. Is. It. That couldn’t possibly take more than ten minutes and the population of Arena would double. But, 343 doesn’t seem interested in their competitive fan base.

I was a complete Arena junky for 9 seasons and even I’ve given up and switched to MLG.

> There won’t be a change. I’ve been asking for very simple changes that are supported by 99% of the competitive community since Bungie was in charge.
>
> -Remove jet pack
> -Remove Swordbase, Uncaged, and Reflection
> -Add credit jackpots all the time or at least more often
>
> That’s it. That. Is. It. That couldn’t possibly take more than ten minutes and the population of Arena would double. But, 343 doesn’t seem interested in their competitive fan base.
>
> I was a complete Arena junky for 9 seasons and even I’ve given up and switched to MLG.

I also believe removing Radar to speed up game play as well…

> > There won’t be a change. I’ve been asking for very simple changes that are supported by 99% of the competitive community since Bungie was in charge.
> >
> > -Remove jet pack
> > -Remove Swordbase, Uncaged, and Reflection
> > -Add credit jackpots all the time or at least more often
> >
> > That’s it. That. Is. It. That couldn’t possibly take more than ten minutes and the population of Arena would double. But, 343 doesn’t seem interested in their competitive fan base.
> >
> > I was a complete Arena junky for 9 seasons and even I’ve given up and switched to MLG.
>
> I also believe removing Radar to speed up game play as well…

I personally wouldn’t mind either way and the whole radar/no radar thing can be debated. The changes I posted cannot be debated. As I said 99% of competitive players agree with them.

> > There won’t be a change. I’ve been asking for very simple changes that are supported by 99% of the competitive community since Bungie was in charge.
> >
> > -Remove jet pack
> > -Remove Swordbase, Uncaged, and Reflection
> > -Add credit jackpots all the time or at least more often
> >
> > That’s it. That. Is. It. That couldn’t possibly take more than ten minutes and the population of Arena would double. But, 343 doesn’t seem interested in their competitive fan base.
> >
> > I was a complete Arena junky for 9 seasons and even I’ve given up and switched to MLG.
>
> I also believe removing Radar to speed up game play as well…

Removing radar may “improve” gameplay for some, but I’d be shocked if it brought back more people- which I think is the biggest problem.

Permanent cR jackpots is definitely the way to go.

The March matchmaking update information will be in next weeks bulletin, if there are Arena changes, we will find out then.

The Arena benefited more from the jackpots as it i did in the past. The population skyrocked as a result.

Of course removing jetpacks needs to go for reasons that should be obvious to all but the most casual of players. It’s already TU so this should be the next step.

Still…as it’s already been shown that by tweaking Arena settings the population STILL didn’t improve. It’s just a boring playlist IMO that just has several bad maps that need to be either removed or tweaked to be more competitive (say each map will have a “Arena” variant that is to different from the standard ones like weapons, blocked off areas etc). Plus the whole “your rank resets” after 3 months just makes players question if they really need to keep playing in such a dead playlist; no one likes having their progress reset. Not many players are going to stick around, the proof is right in front of you.

Plus the search times are awful thanks to the incredibly abysmal player count. When Onyx players have to use things like iron boosting and the 2s trick just to find a match, you know things are bad. Hence, lolArena.

Don’t take it the wrong way; i could get ROFLstomped by top 1 percent Onyx players jetpack or no but you have to be blind to see how much Arena continues to fail. Maybe it will improve and i am just being negative but while matches will improve thanks to no derp packs, it’s the jackpots and higher credit rewards that will ultimately save the playlist.

While my list of changes might be different than most in this thread, the lack of any substantive changes to Arena or even information is saddening.

I truly hope 343 will turn its attention to a vital part of the competitive community, ranked gameplay =/

I hope they do something good for arena. I started to get back into it just before it got TUed. Even started to feel a little bit, dare i say it, competitive.

I will always be sad that seasons got changed to 3 months and the nifty maths they originally had to work out the divisions got removed.

> The March matchmaking update information will be in next weeks bulletin, if there are Arena changes, we will find out then.

That’s the issue though. The next season starts on March 1st so that means that IF there are any changes scheduled they will be coming the day of the beginning of the Season? This just seems strange which makes me think they aren’t doing anything to the Arena playlist AGAIN. I just want this question settled. I’m tired of waiting for something that might never change…

The low population is not indicative of the lack of interest on the part of the players its a display of it’s terrible settings…

My next issue is that if no changes are announced for this coming March update then why is 343 continually ignoring Arena. They have been since day 1 and I’m confused as to why a simple response that ended the wanting of the implication of the 1-50 debate can’t also be used to end this issue. Yes or no would suffice, ignorance only stirs discontent.

> I hope they do something good for arena. I started to get back into it just before it got TUed. Even started to feel a little bit, dare i say it, competitive.
>
> I will always be sad that seasons got changed to 3 months and the nifty maths they originally had to work out the divisions got removed.

You preferred a flawed rating system that encouraged you to shoot and weaken (not kill) your team mates in order to ensure your rating would go up. What is wrong with you?

The original idea of Arena fails big time. You don’t encourage FFA behavior when you are on a team. The original system promoted selfish play and if you wanted to rise up quickly, you would be better off lowering your teammates rating so yours would be higher.

You might think it’s fun to stab your friends in the back just to increase a rating but at least in a W/L system, you are encouraged to play as team and help those who need it. Win as a team and lose as one. Not as an individual, go play Rumble Pit as it seems you favor FFA (and FFA is really fun too, just not when you apply it to a team environment).

It just goes to show that Reach’s Bungie had no idea what they were doing. Just throw in a bunch barely tested ideas and impress all the kids and casuals with it with little regards to balance or long term ranking systems/settings.

It didn’t get changed by Bungie because they felt like it. It changed because many felt the system sucked. I even played it for a bit when it came out and was nothing short of disappointing. Didn’t even bother getting rated seeing how pointless it was :confused:

> > I hope they do something good for arena. I started to get back into it just before it got TUed. Even started to feel a little bit, dare i say it, competitive.
> >
> > I will always be sad that seasons got changed to 3 months and the nifty maths they originally had to work out the divisions got removed.
>
> You preferred a flawed rating system that encouraged you to shoot and weaken (not kill) your team mates in order to ensure your rating would go up. What is wrong with you?
>
>
> The original idea of Arena fails big time. You don’t encourage FFA behavior when you are on a team. The original system promoted selfish play and if you wanted to rise up quickly, you would be better off lowering your teammates rating so yours would be higher.
>
> You might think it’s fun to stab your friends in the back just to increase a rating but at least in a W/L system, you are encouraged to play as team and help those who need it. Win as a team and lose as one. Not as an individual, go play Rumble Pit as it seems you favor FFA (and FFA is really fun too, just not when you apply it to a team environment).
>
>
> It just goes to show that Reach’s Bungie had no idea what they were doing. Just throw in a bunch barely tested ideas and impress all the kids and casuals with it with little regards to balance or long term ranking systems/settings.
>
>
> It didn’t get changed by Bungie because they felt like it. It changed because many felt the system sucked. I even played it for a bit when it came out and was nothing short of disappointing. Didn’t even bother getting rated seeing how pointless it was :confused:

I don’t believe Fatal meant he preferred the original system, just that the math portion was interesting, and as for the rest you pretty much hit it on the head though I would not go so far as to say it failed. (Because it does/did work as intended, but was not optimal to the Team settings of two of the three Arena playlists that had existed sense it worked fine in Arena FFA.)

On a side note, I find it odd that the stats on this website when a new Arena season rolls out they still have Doubles Arena and Arena FFA as options, you think they’d at least bring them back or take their stat sections down.

> > > I hope they do something good for arena. I started to get back into it just before it got TUed. Even started to feel a little bit, dare i say it, competitive.
> > >
> > > I will always be sad that seasons got changed to 3 months and the nifty maths they originally had to work out the divisions got removed.
> >
> > You preferred a flawed rating system that encouraged you to shoot and weaken (not kill) your team mates in order to ensure your rating would go up. What is wrong with you?
> >
> >
> > The original idea of Arena fails big time. You don’t encourage FFA behavior when you are on a team. The original system promoted selfish play and if you wanted to rise up quickly, you would be better off lowering your teammates rating so yours would be higher.
> >
> > You might think it’s fun to stab your friends in the back just to increase a rating but at least in a W/L system, you are encouraged to play as team and help those who need it. Win as a team and lose as one. Not as an individual, go play Rumble Pit as it seems you favor FFA (and FFA is really fun too, just not when you apply it to a team environment).
> >
> >
> > It just goes to show that Reach’s Bungie had no idea what they were doing. Just throw in a bunch barely tested ideas and impress all the kids and casuals with it with little regards to balance or long term ranking systems/settings.
> >
> >
> > It didn’t get changed by Bungie because they felt like it. It changed because many felt the system sucked. I even played it for a bit when it came out and was nothing short of disappointing. Didn’t even bother getting rated seeing how pointless it was :confused:
>
> I don’t believe Fatal meant he preferred the original system, just that the math portion was interesting, and as for the rest you pretty much hit it on the head though I would not go so far as to say it failed. (Because it does/did work as intended, but was not optimal to the Team settings of two of the three Arena playlists that had existed sense it worked fine in Arena FFA.)
>
> On a side note, I find it odd that the stats on this website when a new Arena season rolls out they still have Doubles Arena and Arena FFA as options, you think they’d at least bring them back or take their stat sections down.

He can find it interesting that’s cool but that doesn’t mean it was optimal for team play nor was it any good compared to the system now. The reason why i said it failed because of it’s low population (it’s one of many contributing factors besides settings and maps). Sure it’s no Squad DLC but it’s still really low and the population only exploded due to that one super jackpot.

That wasn’t because The Arena was this OMG god tier kind of thing but the fact that most players (note not all) play for credits. Not competition. Don’t you find that even remotely sad that instead of playing the playlist as intended (i.e competitive ranked) most players are worried about some MMO griding system that is not skill related but rather total time spent playing?

I stopped playing because i couldn’t find anyone :confused: It’s like i want competitive ranked, i want that shiny awesome black medal with respectable percentage and i want to get better (with the game showing that progress) but Reach comes up short in that regard. What’s the point of ranked if i can’t find players to begin with?

-Make 2 grenade starts the norm
-Remove jetpack
-No uncaged, reflection, pinnacle
-Make it so previous arena seasons are actually cached on the service record. There is SO MUCH EXTRA SPACE
-Include anniversary maps
-Make it so the game pools in 8 players, then matches them to remove the ability to 2s trick
-Make it so a party which parties up after the game counts as a party

Iclude non-DMR start gametypes (in order to appeal to a broader base, and allows for the removal of TS)

I really like the Arena scheme of seasons and the ranked points math, best 4 games, and much on. What I would like is to see you compete on your own division till you’re better in rank to be on the other division’s percentage.

Nowadays I hate being paired with many Gold Division members, I’m just 1400~ rank, who have to play many many games to get there, I lose badly and got raped repeatedly tea baged by the other players. The problem for me is the Matchmakeing per si, it just not right way pair the players EVEN with the setting to select people with my skill.

> > > I hope they do something good for arena. I started to get back into it just before it got TUed. Even started to feel a little bit, dare i say it, competitive.
> > >
> > > I will always be sad that seasons got changed to 3 months and the nifty maths they originally had to work out the divisions got removed.
> >
> > You preferred a flawed rating system that encouraged you to shoot and weaken (not kill) your team mates in order to ensure your rating would go up. What is wrong with you?
> >
> >
> > The original idea of Arena fails big time. You don’t encourage FFA behavior when you are on a team. The original system promoted selfish play and if you wanted to rise up quickly, you would be better off lowering your teammates rating so yours would be higher.
> >
> > You might think it’s fun to stab your friends in the back just to increase a rating but at least in a W/L system, you are encouraged to play as team and help those who need it. Win as a team and lose as one. Not as an individual, go play Rumble Pit as it seems you favor FFA (and FFA is really fun too, just not when you apply it to a team environment).
> >
> >
> > It just goes to show that Reach’s Bungie had no idea what they were doing. Just throw in a bunch barely tested ideas and impress all the kids and casuals with it with little regards to balance or long term ranking systems/settings.
> >
> >
> > It didn’t get changed by Bungie because they felt like it. It changed because many felt the system sucked. I even played it for a bit when it came out and was nothing short of disappointing. Didn’t even bother getting rated seeing how pointless it was :confused:
>
> I don’t believe Fatal meant he preferred the original system, just that the math portion was interesting, and as for the rest you pretty much hit it on the head though I would not go so far as to say it failed. (Because it does/did work as intended, but was not optimal to the Team settings of two of the three Arena playlists that had existed sense it worked fine in Arena FFA.)
>
> On a side note, I find it odd that the stats on this website when a new Arena season rolls out they still have Doubles Arena and Arena FFA as options, you think they’d at least bring them back or take their stat sections down.

Lost in lul got my back. I know it was changed for a reason. That reason is that people are invariably crappy when given the chance. The system was nice, the people ruined it. Story of Reaches life basically.

The mistake bungie made is displaying the ratings is realtime on the scoreboard. Once someone worked out you can make others go down too, it was game over basically.

The shameful thing about it is that the ratings were actually an echo of the Halo 2 rank system, which was based on an invisible ELO style system from 0-2000 just like Reach ratings. It was the closest Bungie had come to reimplementing the H2 system which so many people called for for so long. But by changing it to win/loss only, ratings became essentially pointless and that was that.

Just thought it was a cool system, but people went ahead and ruined it because they fundamentally cant just play nice.

I do believe that the community broke Bungies heart in a way. They always meant well for us, and we essentially tore their final halo game to shreds in a way not seen since the days of H2 hacks. Perhaps thats why they appeared to be rather withdrawn the whole time they had control of Reach, except the for the short final burst of Ferrex activity at the end.

> I do believe that the community broke Bungies heart in a way. They always meant well for us, and we essentially tore their final halo game to shreds in a way not seen since the days of H2 hacks. Perhaps thats why they appeared to be rather withdrawn the whole time they had control of Reach, except the for the short final burst of Ferrex activity at the end.

That’s a lame excuse. Bungie knows how online multiplayer works by now. They should have been ready for anything, and thought of the certain variables. It isn’t the community’s fault any more than it is Bungie’s.

> > I do believe that the community broke Bungies heart in a way. They always meant well for us, and we essentially tore their final halo game to shreds in a way not seen since the days of H2 hacks. Perhaps thats why they appeared to be rather withdrawn the whole time they had control of Reach, except the for the short final burst of Ferrex activity at the end.
>
> That’s a lame excuse. Bungie knows how online multiplayer works by now. They should have been ready for anything, and thought of the certain variables. It isn’t the community’s fault any more than it is Bungie’s.

Agreed. Bungie should have known better than to ostracize the entire community who enjoyed the 1-50 system in Halo 3. Obviously there were more casuals represented in their thinking who got caught at a low level in the 1-50 system thus they tried to fix it for them but someone who gets stuck at level 20 or 30 isn’t good to begin with so why cater the ‘competitive’ system settings to them?

I feel so fortunate knowing that Hypno will always be here to give a damn so I don’t have to.

Lol when I finish as a gold star this season.

Please do not call out individuals. This includes titles. Feel free to recreate this thread if you’d like to discuss this subject with your fellow forum members.