Arena Ratings

How do they work now? I remember seeing a formula being used during the Beta Testing, but now I’m curious because someone told me they changed it to JUST if you win you get better if you lose you get worse, reguardless of how much you do/do not contribute to the team. So what is it, and how do they get your number rating then if it is the latter?

The number you’re referring to is the Individual rating (Kills + Assists - Deaths/2). It is no longer used for ranking. It is merely there for aesthetic (nice to know) value.
[This has been confirmed by Jeremiah at Bungie.]

• The Arena uses Microsoft’s Team-Centric TrueSkill system to calculate ranks.
  • TrueSkill is NOT determined by W/L ratio, but rather by whom you’re winning and losing against. Winning against tough opponents increases TrueSkill substantially while winning against easy opponents increases TrueSkill minimally. (Same thing occurs in vice-versa for Losing)
  • Divisions and Percentiles are calculated by stacking everyone’s Conservative TrueSkill Estimate (details linked below), which rewards higher trueskill to those who play more games (until a limit is reached somewhere between 46 & 148 games).

A great deal more in depth information on this topic can be found here.

NOTE: I’d like to see a version of this information stickied for this forum. Maybe I’ll create the thread and see if I can get it stickied. It’s just amazing how many times this has to be explained. This is no fault of yours, I blame the previous developers for not publishing/distributing this information properly.

I think 343i should get rid of those ratings, because they confuse everyone playing Arena.

Apologies to the OP. I’ve just realised that the link I provided in my original reply now takes you to an error page on Bungie.net since they’ve just closed the Optimatch forums. Luckily I’ve managed to grab the entire FAQ from the Google cache in HTML format which I’ll be converting to BBCode, condensing and hopefully posting as a sticky in here at some point over the next few days.

Actually it was fine, I managed to read the post before it was lost to the gods. I just did not have time to reply is all. I do not like how the ratings are handled then anymore, because if I get 30 kills and my allies are AFK and we lose, I still lose and my rating will go down :frowning:

The old system was better for people going solo. And everybody online expects me to memorize my call outs. Ger.

> Actually it was fine, I managed to read the post before it was lost to the gods. I just did not have time to reply is all.

Ahh… cool. Glad you got to read it before it was taken down.

> I do not like how the ratings are handled then anymore, because if I get 30 kills and my allies are AFK and we lose, I still lose and my rating will go down :frowning:
>
> The old system was better for people going solo.

Though I completely empathise with you as I also play solo, it’s worth pointing you towards this quote by RC Master (Ultimate RC in this forum) who responded to a similar comment on page 3 of the FAQ (which is still cached).

> > Posted by: DesertPheonix24
> > I really don’t like the current win/loss system compared to the old 1st to 8th way. I just finished a game with the highest ranking in the game (1613). Went +16 (19/3), got a killing frenzy too, and we lost by 2 kills, all because my team went -1, -8 and -9. Other team was (+12, +1, -5, and -6. Do I really deserve to be tied last with my team mates that went negative? Do I deserve to be beaten by a -5 player and a -6 player?
>
> The answer to this is basically ‘you win some, you lose some.’
>
> Keep playing, and once your trueskill rating closes in on where it should be, you’re going to be more likely to get games where YOU are the one going negative. Then you’ll be glad that you had some teammates that went positive to eek out the win!

I think that’s basically true and applicable to your situation. You’ve played 65 games in Season 8 (if I’m not mistaken), which means your TrueSkill may be starting to level out right now (starts around 46 in a 4v4 setting), but could take up to 148 games (max) to do so. In any case, at some point during this set of games you should start to find more even matches where you’ll find it tough to do as well as you’re doing now. (Unless you’re godlike, this should become obvious when your W/L starts approaching 50/50.)

> And everybody online expects me to memorize my call outs. Ger.

At least you use them at all. I was actually trash talked by one of my random teammates the other day for using callouts. He said “I’m not MLG. Shut up with your stupid callouts”.

/facepalm

That was me that said I didn’t like the win/loss. And to this day I still prefer the 1st to 8th way. Despite this season being my best yet, I still think I’d be doing better the old way. It has most definitely not evened out for me. I still get more games than I care for where my teammates quit, betray, jump of the edge of the map or just go badly negative. =(

I do enjoy the callouts, I just have no reference to memorize them from since I play solo, and I’m not about to go to forge to do that.

Also, my W/L is starting to even out, especially because the other day I got to 50% Onyx, in which all my games were all onyx players, the other team generally speaking always being a full team. I lost and I lost hard until I got booted back to 90% :confused:

Just shows why I need a team so bad, but I am not a god among all men, just 80% Onyx and worse :stuck_out_tongue: