Arena maps' design is bad

Anyone else thinks that the maps in the Arena are bad designed? Many of them look too much to another one (i.e. eden/empire) and some have the same part of others (for example the ramp in overgrowth and plaza), and all of them have bad spawn points, too many times I spawned 3 meters away from an enemy right in my back, and almost everytime I died because he started shooting me before or he had a power weapon.

They’re all a little too symmetrical for me. I prefer asymmetrical maps (for asymmetrical gametypes which aren’t really present… but that’s another can of worms) but many of H5’s maps feel too purposeful, too perfectly shaped.

They’re fun though generally, and they’re decorated well. I guess I have mixed, complicated feelings.

They have a few good maps but none of them are memorable. Personally I do like Fathom and The Rig. Even with how much people hated Halo 4 the maps were so much better.

> 2533274803493024;2:
> They’re all a little too symmetrical for me. I prefer asymmetrical maps (for asymmetrical gametypes which aren’t really present… but that’s another can of worms) but many of H5’s maps feel too purposeful, too perfectly shaped.
>
> They’re fun though generally, and they’re decorated well. I guess I have mixed, complicated feelings.

> 2533274830513360;3:
> They have a few good maps but none of them are memorable. Personally I do like Fathom and The Rig. Even with how much people hated Halo 4 the maps were so much better.

First of all thanks for the replies, this is the first time I start a thread; returning to the topic, I think that in Halo 4 there was a reason why only few maps got usually voted to play in (i.e. Ragnarok/Heaven/Adrift etc.) and the reason was that those maps were better and funnier to play in. Then for what I remember from my Halo 3 multiplayer experience (not that much, since it was my first approach to Halo), even in Slayer the maps were a bit bigger and they didn’t give me the sense of anxiety like the ones in Halo 5 do. It’s just my opinion, but like you said I think they lack of the creativity that can make them memorable (like Valhalla/Blood Gulch/Heaven etc.).

P.S. Still thanks for your replies.

Relevant.

Yeah, my most disliked is truth.

> 2533274819683252;5:
> Relevant.

Great video. I forgot how good Halo 3 Guardian map looked, loved playing that!

Yeah the maps on Halo 5 are ok, but not amazing. I have fun playing them though, so I don’t have any real complaints.

Well apart from one - why have tiny steps that block my Spartan from dodging!? He’s a super soldier, why can’t he step over a 1 inch high wall? There’s nothing worse than trying to avoid enemy fire and getting thwarted by a step I didn’t notice, it’s annoying as hell.

> 2533274819683252;5:
> Relevant.

Hope I haven’t missed the point since I’m not mother tongue, and it’s a bit harder for me to understand the spoken English, however in few words, 343’s designers, in order to push the players to have gunfights more often, have designed small maps, most of them with only one focal point where there aren’t alternative roads to move around the map, so you are forced to Live. Die. Repeat. like in Edge of Tomorrow, but of course this kind of approach isn’t fun, right?

I can’t understand how the -Yoink- they placed spawn points, too often I spawn few meters away from an enemy, it is not fun at all, it is -Yoinking!- irritating, then I can’t quit because of that -Yoink- banhammer.

While I have fun- I would much rather a map layout similar to Blood Gulch. Varied terrain height, width, and plenty of room for vehicles, ha!

The human maps have a very boring design

I only like Plaza

> 2535424465548988;11:
> The human maps have a very boring design

Not only they’re boring, they’re also few and too similar each other; just look Eden/Empire that are the ones I hate the most, or Torque/Stasis which is the same exact map in a different skin, like Mercy/Heaven from Halo 4 (but at least in this last case the map was taken from the game before, not a copy/paste in the same game).

Then, I’ve made just two matches in Big Team Battle (one worse than the other), and even there the maps make you say “meh”. I understand in this chapter the Forge is over 9000 (which is really cool for creative players, and the Forge sector of the 343 studio seems the only one where there are passionate, reasoning people who cares of fans’ feedbacks too) but in this playlist the maps aren’t originals like they were in Halo 4 (Ragnarok wasn’t original but I loved it like I did with Valhalla in Halo 3).

Just going to leave this here… 3:55

> 2533274850124026;13:
> Not only they’re boring, they’re also few and too similar each other; just look Eden/Empire that are the ones I hate the most, or Torque/Stasis which is the same exact map in a different skin

That’s because they’re remixes so they’re supposed to be a little similar to each other.

> 2727626560040591;16:
> > 2533274850124026;13:
> > Not only they’re boring, they’re also few and too similar each other; just look Eden/Empire that are the ones I hate the most, or Torque/Stasis which is the same exact map in a different skin
>
>
> That’s because they’re remixes so they’re supposed to be a little similar to each other.

Do you think this is good or bad?

I don’t mind it too much if the map plays well, but I’d prefer if every map was made from scratch.

They just don’t have enough map diversity between them. So many of the maps play so similar.

> 2533274870389366;15:
> Just going to leave this here… 3:55

Thanks for the link, it’s a very good video, I read few comments too and I believe the one of milontua fits what I think: 343 has done an amazing job managing the universe of Halo, I have many books on it and I really liked them since I’m a fan of this franchise, but their videogames (which are supposed to be the focal points of the Story) are lacking of real epic moments (such as the final mission of Halo 3, or as he said the fight against the Scarabs). Sincerelly I loved Halo 4, the new weapons and the new enemies made it really cool, but in Halo 5 they seem to have relied too much on the graphical aspect of the game instead of its story (as shown in the video, they hyped the fans with Locke vs Chief Hunt the Truth stuff, but in campaign it turned out to be mostly advertisement crap), then always for that reason they took away the split-screen (probably the second most important thing of the game after the campaign) and gone forward amping the MLG side of the game (which I really don’t give a -Yoink- of). In the end, talking about Bungie’s developers, they felt like they were at the end with Halo, they wanted to do something else but Microsoft wouldn’t allow them to do so, after realising it they’re gone with Activision to develop Destiny, but at the end of their work they’ve found out they made a deal with a “videogame’s Devil”, and their game has been cut in order to make money-grabbing DLCs; in facts, after few weeks from the its release, two of the most important person, Joe Staten and Marty O’Donnell, have left the studio. Now I haven’t played Destiny for a long time, I’ve heard it got better a lot, but a lot of money were needed too (I’m still a “vanilla” player), however I hope Halo 6 and Destiny 2 could be better.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, hope it’s not too confused, I would like to know your opinion.