Arena Map Aesthetics Are Too Similar

Before you hate on me for saying this, I am not including regret, truth, coliseum or any of the forge maps. Anyway, all the maps they have shown so far for arena that have a human aesthetic (fathom, eden, empire, plaza, rig, etc…) all share the same looking walls, floors, and just general objects. And while they might not be exactly the same they are similar enough to make it feel like a very bland selection of maps. I want more covenant, forerunner, and heck, even flood themed maps (even though they’re not in the game). The warzone maps looked fantastic because each one was unique and featured outdoor areas. all of the arena maps we have seen other than regret and coliseum have been indoors and all of the indoors ones except truth look very, very similar. I hope they have some more outdoor arena maps yet to come, or as DLC. Think daybreak, ascension, beaver creek, guardian, narrows, the pit. Each one of the previous halo games had lots of unique maps, but for arena in halo 5 I’m just not feeling that.

More variation couldn’t hurt.

Even Fathom of all maps looks similar to Empire. Too much of the exact same chrome designs.

> 2533274819302824;2:
> More variation couldn’t hurt.
>
> Even Fathom of all maps looks similar to Empire. Too much of the exact same chrome designs.

Exactly. If they’re going to make empire a skyscraper they should have done a covenant one. It would have been more interesting rather than grey blocks.

In Halo 4’s case they actually show you in detail what they’re doing to the aesthetic; they take a map, blow up the lighting and colors, then change various other things overall to make the location look completely impossible. They did the same thing to Shrine and Remnant in Halo 2: Anniversary (with the exception of Stonetown which arguably has it’s original aesthetic.)

Part of what made me love Halo in the first place was that uncanny valley… Places that you knew weren’t real but had created the illusion that they were, in fact, real places you could explore and touch. That sense of maybe it could be real.

Okay, so I get it now. Human/UNSC structures in the past were always tan and had stripes painted on them; that actually isn’t new. (It’s kinda always been that way.) It’s just that now in Halo 5, they’re completely devoid of bumps, dirt, rust and other granular details that make structures look tangible… It just doesn’t look believable anymore, I feel. After Empire/Eden, then Escape from A.R.C./Fathom, they basically reinforced the fact that they intend to do this with every human structure, and unfortunately it’s 2015 and the best looking Halo game is still Halo 3.

> 2535442000045654;1:
> Before you hate on me for saying this, I am not including regret, truth, coliseum or any of the forge maps. Anyway, all the maps they have shown so far for arena that have a human aesthetic (fathom, eden, empire, plaza, rig, etc…) all share the same looking walls, floors, and just general objects. And while they might not be exactly the same they are similar enough to make it feel like a very bland selection of maps. I want more covenant, forerunner, and heck, even flood themed maps (even though they’re not in the game). The warzone maps looked fantastic because each one was unique and featured outdoor areas. all of the arena maps we have seen other than regret and coliseum have been indoors and all of the indoors ones except truth look very, very similar. I hope they have some more outdoor arena maps yet to come, or as DLC. Think daybreak, ascension, beaver creek, guardian, narrows, the pit. Each one of the previous halo games had lots of unique maps, but for arena in halo 5 I’m just not feeling that.

While I like and enjoy the current maps, I can’t help but agree. I’ve thought the same thing. There really needs to be more variation. Halo 2 and 3 had the best maps in terms of variation and design, and that should really carry forward into halo 5. If not for launch, at least as DLC.

… I’m pretty sure if I ignored a few of the maps released so far, I too would feel the remaining would look similar.

Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.

Warzone is really picking up the slack when it comes to maps having a completely unique theme and look. We’ve seen a map that’s like a canyon in the middle of the ocean, with whales swimming in the glass wall things. We’ve got a snow map that looks gorgeous. Raid on Apex 7 is sure to be great with it’s jungle setting and Forerunner structures. Being inspired by Silent Cartographer with a beach assault to start the match is such a genius move on their part. Then the last one we can see for now appears to be a huge urban center with streets and buildings everywhere. It gives me some serious Terminal vibes.

You know, one of the complaints I have with cities or subdivisions in real life are that everything looks the same. Now, explain to me, why is it so hard to believe that a unified Humanity has structures in most places that look alike?

> 2533274833600810;7:
> Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.

Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!

> 2533274889350043;8:
> You know, one of the complaints I have with cities or subdivisions in real life are that everything looks the same. Now, explain to me, why is it so hard to believe that a unified Humanity has structures in most places that look alike?

Have you ever left your hometown? If you will do some day, you will notice that the world is filled with diffrent architecture :wink:

> 2533274801973487;9:
> > 2533274833600810;7:
> > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
>
>
> Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274889350043;8:
> >

Sorry but Halo CE maps are plain and usually gray. Plaza looks nothing like the other UNSC maps in Halo 5.

I don’t really see where this kind of criticism comes from when there’s been plenty of old Halo maps that look very bland and empty. Just look at maps like Rat Race, Wizard, Foundation, Citadel, Narrows, Hang 'em High and Colossus.

> 2533274833600810;10:
> > 2533274801973487;9:
> > > 2533274833600810;7:
> > > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
> >
> >
> > Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> > Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> > If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> > Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274889350043;8:
> > >
>
>
> Sorry but Halo CE maps are plain and usually gray. Plaza looks nothing like the other UNSC maps in Halo 5.
>
> I don’t really see where this kind of criticism comes from when there’s been plenty of old Halo maps that look very bland and empty. Just look at maps like Rat Race, Wizard, Foundation, Citadel, Narrows, Hang 'em High and Colossus.

It’s funny, one screenshot of any of those maps and I could tell you exectly which map it is, I couldn’t do this with most of those H5 maps (exceptions beeing Truth, Regret and that forerunner map) until you show me the skybox…
It’s not fancy textures or a high polygon count that make a map interesting, it’s the design, art-style and architecture!

> 2533274801973487;11:
> > 2533274833600810;10:
> > > 2533274801973487;9:
> > > > 2533274833600810;7:
> > > > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
> > >
> > >
> > > Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> > > Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> > > If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> > > Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274889350043;8:
> > > >
> >
> >
> > Sorry but Halo CE maps are plain and usually gray. Plaza looks nothing like the other UNSC maps in Halo 5.
> >
> > I don’t really see where this kind of criticism comes from when there’s been plenty of old Halo maps that look very bland and empty. Just look at maps like Rat Race, Wizard, Foundation, Citadel, Narrows, Hang 'em High and Colossus.
>
>
> It’s funny, one screenshot of any of those maps and I could tell you exectly which map it is, I couldn’t do this with most of those H5 maps (exceptions beeing Truth, Regret and that forerunner map) until you show me the skybox…
> It’s not fancy textures or a high polygon count that make a map interesting, it’s the design, art-style and architecture!

Really I bet I could tell you pretty much what any of the Halo 5 maps are from a screenshot some have kind of the same art style but it still easy to tell them apart I think you are being a bit nitpicky.

> 2535416383459646;12:
> > 2533274801973487;11:
> > > 2533274833600810;10:
> > > > 2533274801973487;9:
> > > > > 2533274833600810;7:
> > > > > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> > > > Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> > > > If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> > > > Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274889350043;8:
> > > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Sorry but Halo CE maps are plain and usually gray. Plaza looks nothing like the other UNSC maps in Halo 5.
> > >
> > > I don’t really see where this kind of criticism comes from when there’s been plenty of old Halo maps that look very bland and empty. Just look at maps like Rat Race, Wizard, Foundation, Citadel, Narrows, Hang 'em High and Colossus.
> >
> >
> > It’s funny, one screenshot of any of those maps and I could tell you exectly which map it is, I couldn’t do this with most of those H5 maps (exceptions beeing Truth, Regret and that forerunner map) until you show me the skybox…
> > It’s not fancy textures or a high polygon count that make a map interesting, it’s the design, art-style and architecture!
>
>
> Really I bet I could tell you pretty much what any of the Halo 5 maps are from a screenshot some have kind of the same art style but it still easy to tell them apart I think you are being a bit nitpicky.

They all have a different colour scheme for one thing.

I noticed this as well and dont really like it.

I hope we get some other, more special looking maps.

But I dont really like the H5 art style anyway.

> 2535460843083983;4:
> In Halo 4’s case they actually show you in detail what they’re doing to the aesthetic; they take a map, blow up the lighting and colors, then change various other things overall to make the location look completely impossible. They did the same thing to Shrine and Remnant in Halo 2: Anniversary (with the exception of Stonetown which arguably has it’s original aesthetic.)
>
> Part of what made me love Halo in the first place was that uncanny valley… Places that you knew weren’t real but had created the illusion that they were, in fact, real places you could explore and touch. That sense of maybe it could be real.
>
> Okay, so I get it now. Human/UNSC structures in the past were always tan and had stripes painted on them; that actually isn’t new. (It’s kinda alwaysbeenthatway.) It’s just that now in Halo 5, they’re completely devoid of bumps, dirt, rust and other granular details that make structures look tangible… It just doesn’t look believable anymore, I feel. After Empire/Eden, then Escape from A.R.C./Fathom, they basically reinforced the fact that they intend to do this with every human structure, and unfortunately it’s 2015 and the best looking Halo game is still Halo 3.

Good one dude :smiley: honestly haters gonna hate, but in terms of art style Halo Reach kills the competition… The picture of High Ground is just the grey block style people complain about…

Besides that I agree with the first paragraphs of your post.

I’m feeling the aesthetic style of the maps so far I’m sure the dlc maps will have more variety though.

> 2535460843083983;4:
> it’s 2015 and the best looking Halo game is still Halo 3.

I agree, but thats just an opinion.

I just loved the art design of Halo 3. Because of this thread I just googled “all Halo 3 maps” and if you hold one picture of each close to each other they all look so different and amazing in theyre own way.

The only ones that look a bit similair in my opinion are Narrows-Citadel-Epitah-Construct

But just compare

Snowbound to Ghost Town
Orbital to Standoff
Guardian to Sand Trap
The Pit to Heretic
Isolation to Blackout
Avalanche to Valhalla

…and so on.

They all look completly different and deliver a completly other feeling.

My order for best art style would be something like:

  1. Halo 3

  2. Halo Reach

  3. Halo 2 Anniversary

  4. Halo CE

  5. Halo 4

  6. Halo 5

  7. Halo 2

> 2533274801973487;9:
> > 2533274833600810;7:
> > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
>
>
> Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274889350043;8:
> > You know, one of the complaints I have with cities or subdivisions in real life are that everything looks the same. Now, explain to me, why is it so hard to believe that a unified Humanity has structures in most places that look alike?
>
>
> Have you ever left your hometown? If you will do some day, you will notice that the world is filled with diffrent architecture :wink:

And maybe if you read my remark, you’d see I said that there are places in the world that have identical looks. You know, like skyscrapers being tall and gray or suburbian houses that look identical. Now, once again, why is it hard to believe that Humanity which is now unified, why is it hard to grasp cities with similar architecture exist?

The maps in this video (Eden, The Rig, Plaza, and Coliseum) are mostly human aesthetic and look pretty different from each other.

> 2533274889350043;18:
> > 2533274801973487;9:
> > > 2533274833600810;7:
> > > Arena maps sometimes look a bit samey or plain, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably because they wanted Arena maps to look cleaner and easier to understand at a glance for competitive play as opposed to maps that are enormous and played more casually. The urban environments look better, in my opinion. Just look at Plaza, map looks legit.
> >
> >
> > Clean Look =/= boring, repetitive architecture!
> > Even HCE with it’s 2001 graphics manages to create unique and distinctive visual for most of the maps, 343 fails to do so!
> > If they want to do 5 UNSC themed maps its fine, bit it’s not finde that every UNCS maps has the same art style with the same architecture set in diffrent surroundings with diffrent lighting!
> > Since 343 loves that style they could have 2 maps with this apple-esque look (chrome, white, bright colors) but have one with a concrete look, one with rusty metal and steal structures and mayby the last one with a mixture of both!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274889350043;8:
> > > You know, one of the complaints I have with cities or subdivisions in real life are that everything looks the same. Now, explain to me, why is it so hard to believe that a unified Humanity has structures in most places that look alike?
> >
> >
> > Have you ever left your hometown? If you will do some day, you will notice that the world is filled with diffrent architecture :wink:
>
>
> And maybe if you read my remark, you’d see I said that there are places in the world that have identical looks. You know, like skyscrapers being tall and gray or suburbian houses that look identical. Now, once again, why is it hard to believe that Humanity which is now unified, why is it hard to grasp cities with similar architecture exist?

Does this look like these?
Do those look identical? Or these?
And I just did a quick image search without actually looking for some specific archtecture-style…
Why shouldn’t be there multiple architecture-styles in the Halo universe?