arena, individual skill or win/lose?

simple question, what do you think arena is based on, individual skill or win/lose?

Much preferred the rating system and the cool maths bungie made to interface it with trueskill. Win/loss is inferior IMO because you will spend a lot of time getting dragged down by drunk teammates before you get tot he point where most of your team mates are reasonably good. Win/loss extends this painful phase.

BUT, the rating meter should be hidden during the game, to stop people gaming the system by backstabbing their team. One fatal mistake bungie made.

the question isn’t about which is better but what system people think it uses…

it’s based on win/loss

> the question isn’t about which is better but what system people think it uses…

It’s based purely on wins and who you beat.

I miss clicked… its win loss as it should be. Individual rating should be tracked as well. Imagine your win loss determines your ranking… but your individual performance determined special awards or titles you were awarded. I just remember goldeneye giving out titles at the end of each game… “most deadly” and such. like these…

> I miss clicked… its win loss as it should be. Individual rating should be tracked as well. Imagine your win loss determines your ranking… but your individual performance determined special awards or titles you were awarded. I just remember goldeneye giving out titles at the end of each game… “most deadly” and such. like these…

I loved those awards at the end of the game. Then, even when you lost, you would still end up getting an award most likely. Something for everybody!! I loved getting Most Dishonorable and Most Cowardly at the same time hehe.

what do i think? loll i know it’s based solely on win/loss

loll vintageeee

Win/Loss obviously.

Stats don’t accurately depict a players’ contributions to a game.

Also, it’s a team game. Basing a rank on individual skill gives players and incentive to play selfishly and disadvantage their teammates.

well, it appears that people in the MM forum know its win/lose yet people on the halo 4 forum have no idea and argue about on based on it being individual.

wierd …

> well, it appears that people in the MM forum know its win/lose yet people on the halo 4 forum have no idea and argue about on based on it being individual.
>
> wierd …

The MM Forum, like Optimatch before it, attracts a type of player that is so interested in the game that they want to help shape the minutae of mm playlists. Naturally that type of person ends up being more informed. Though as we see from the poll, there are still some that are entirely ignorant…

Used to be individual, but your rating would get a big bump if your team was winning/won, so it was still important. People said it made the game like a FFA, though I never witnessed it when I got rated those first few short seasons.

Now it’s purely win/loss.
Good for teammates who like to carried I guess, but bad for those who like to go in alone.

Currently it is based off W/L, but I believe in the beginning it was individual skill.

> Currently it is based off individual skill, but I believe in the beginning it was individual skill.

Nope.

It was based on individual skill, and individual skill was being calculated by K/D/A ratios, and now it is based on win/loss.

> Much preferred the rating system and the cool maths bungie made to interface it with trueskill. Win/loss is inferior IMO because you will spend a lot of time getting dragged down by drunk teammates before you get tot he point where most of your team mates are reasonably good. Win/loss extends this painful phase.
>
> BUT, the rating meter should be hidden during the game, to stop people gaming the system by backstabbing their team. One fatal mistake bungie made.

The one point we disagree on Fatal.

I think that TrueSkill is the better of the systems because it was designed by a paid team of mathematicians. The Rating System, as great as Bungie is, I doubt it would have compared well to TrueSkill, especially since it doesn’t take into account team assisting acts that aren’t counted by kills, deaths, or assists. It just plain doesn’t take into account the concept of a force multiplier.

> > the question isn’t about which is better but what system people think it uses…
>
> It’s based purely on wins and who you beat.

> > Currently it is based off individual skill, but I believe in the beginning it was individual skill.
>
> Nope.
>
> It was based on individual skill, and individual skill was being calculated by K/D/A ratios, and now it is based on win/loss.

Oops, was not paying attention, fixed.

It uses a combination of both.

> > Much preferred the rating system and the cool maths bungie made to interface it with trueskill. Win/loss is inferior IMO because you will spend a lot of time getting dragged down by drunk teammates before you get tot he point where most of your team mates are reasonably good. Win/loss extends this painful phase.
> >
> > BUT, the rating meter should be hidden during the game, to stop people gaming the system by backstabbing their team. One fatal mistake bungie made.
>
> The one point we disagree on Fatal.
>
> I think that TrueSkill is the better of the systems because it was designed by a paid team of mathematicians. The Rating System, as great as Bungie is, I doubt it would have compared well to TrueSkill, especially since it doesn’t take into account team assisting acts that aren’t counted by kills, deaths, or assists. It just plain doesn’t take into account the concept of a force multiplier.

Dude i think youre misinformed on this one, the original rating rank system used trueskill. All xbox live games must use trueskill according to microsoft game publishing rules. Most games dont show the number.

The original numerical rating was modified according to a double logarithmic curve from 0-2000 with 1000 being the median skill, then players placed from 1-8 according to their rating number at the end of the game, then those places were plugged into the trueskill system which then did its ranking magic.

When it went to win/loss, nothing else mattered except which team won, and only first and second place were plugged into trueskill instead of each individual player. Both way use trueskill, but the original was better at individual skill should have resulted in a better experience IMO. But then of course people decided to deliberately break it and we got the inferior but less exploitable system we have now. TBH if bungie had baked in a rating bonus for actually winning the game, all of this would have been avoided. They made mistakes, for sure.

Theres a bungie blogpost from 2 years ago explaining the rating system better but I suck at searching for stuff like that.