Arena Divisions Are Broken

Arena is not functioning the way it was intended to at the beginning of the game. The current system give players too much freedom: dodging maps you aren’t good at, disconnecting so placements don’t count, smurfing. The system is broken, why not use the tried and trueskill (see what I did there?) method that we had to calculate ranks in the past; the 1-50 system. Every player will be able to move up and down the chain of ranks, without getting locked into a division. Losing consistently will cause you to de-rank while winning long streaks of games consecutively will cause exponentially larger increases in your level for every win, as indicated by your performance against the rest of the population improving.

I like what you did there. I agree the system is beyond busted, but I don’t think us continuing to protest it will change anything. 343 obviously thinks they know best regardless of what the community thinks. I would go back to 1-50 in a heartbeat.

I agree with you to some extent, I did love the 1-50 ranks simply because I loved calling myself a “Brigadier” and relishing the symbol that came with it. However, I detested with the utmost hatred getting de-ranked every time I lost, for a number of reasons; connection, teammates playing against their team, boosters, de-rankers, and my own bad luck. So getting locked into a division is good for me, as it means that if I have a bad day, or only come across the most ridiculous try-hards I don’t lose all the progress I’d tried so hard to make. Because if I was good enough to make it to 45, I shouldn’t have to suffer circumstances, most of which would be beyond my ability to rectify.

Things like dodging maps, quitting to avoid a certain rank/placement, or smurfing (which correct me if I’m wrong, but seems to be essentially H5’s version of boosting/deranking???) would not be stopped in any way by reverting to the Trueskill system of yore. This issue has more to do with people exploiting a given system to get ahead, and then relying on that system guarding against public shaming to continue doing what they are doing, because to put in place in-game to stop this would ultimately only affect everyone else, and so there’s no meaningful method to objectively say that a person is guilty of a thing based off of stats alone.

> 2533274807278095;2:
> I like what you did there. I agree the system is beyond busted, but I don’t think us continuing to protest it will change anything. 343 obviously thinks they know best regardless of what the community thinks. I would go back to 1-50 in a heartbeat.

I know your pain. The ranking system is the main issue.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/competitiveness-is-not-the-problem/4939e849-0525-4048-8524-8365beccf7a8/posts

> 2533274808874789;3:
> I agree with you to some extent, I did love the 1-50 ranks simply because I loved calling myself a “Brigadier” and relishing the symbol that came with it. However, I detested with the utmost hatred getting de-ranked every time I lost, for a number of reasons; connection, teammates playing against their team, boosters, de-rankers, and my own bad luck. So getting locked into a division is good for me, as it means that if I have a bad day, or only come across the most ridiculous try-hards I don’t lose all the progress I’d tried so hard to make. Because if I was good enough to make it to 45, I shouldn’t have to suffer circumstances, most of which would be beyond my ability to rectify.
>
> Things like dodging maps, quitting to avoid a certain rank/placement, or smurfing (which correct me if I’m wrong, but seems to be essentially H5’s version of boosting/deranking???) would not be stopped in any way by reverting to the Trueskill system of yore. This issue has more to do with people exploiting a given system to get ahead, and then relying on that system guarding against public shaming to continue doing what they are doing, because to put in place in-game to stop this would ultimately only affect everyone else, and so there’s no meaningful method to objectively say that a person is guilty of a thing based off of stats alone.

If I may, the Trueskill system never reset and was super hardcore about how it worked. If you were a 35, for example, and you played 10 games in a row alternating between w/l you become locked into that rank and the more this pattern continued the harder that lock became to break, never able to actually improve within that playlist or play against more challenging players. This was a rare occurrence but, for me, it made ranked unappealing. As I got better and improved by playing with/against brigs and generals in social, I could go into ranked and mop the floor but I would never leave 35. Ever. I don’t want to be hard locked like that ever again, but I do want to actually play a challenging game, not be given an arbitrary rank because the system went “Gee, I dunno, you look like a Diamond or something” Proceeds to hand out platinum rank.

> 2533274810191683;5:
> > 2533274808874789;3:
> >
>
>
> If I may, the Trueskill system never reset and was super hardcore about how it worked. If you were a 35, for example, and you played 10 games in a row alternating between w/l you become locked into that rank and the more this pattern continued the harder that lock became to break, never able to actually improve within that playlist or play against more challenging players. This was a rare occurrence but, for me, it made ranked unappealing. As I got better and improved by playing with/against brigs and generals in social, I could go into ranked and mop the floor but I would never leave 35. Ever. I don’t want to be hard locked like that ever again, but I do want to actually play a challenging game, not be given an arbitrary rank because the system went “Gee, I dunno, you look like a Diamond or something” Proceeds to hand out platinum rank.

Well if that system actually worked that would be great. I just recently granted diamond 3, I know for a fact I don’t belong there because I couldn’t get to Diamond for the last 3 seasons, and during those 10 unranked games I played like it was my first time. No the ranking system did not work like that in Halo 2 or Halo 3. It never has and I am not sure where you got that information from, but what you are explaining about what you hate does lock you. I won 6 games straight at Platinum 6 last season and guess what? Didn’t go up a level, so please tell me how this system is better.

> 2533274810191683;5:
> > 2533274808874789;3:
> > I agree with you to some extent, I did love the 1-50 ranks simply because I loved calling myself a “Brigadier” and relishing the symbol that came with it. However, I detested with the utmost hatred getting de-ranked every time I lost, for a number of reasons; connection, teammates playing against their team, boosters, de-rankers, and my own bad luck. So getting locked into a division is good for me, as it means that if I have a bad day, or only come across the most ridiculous try-hards I don’t lose all the progress I’d tried so hard to make. Because if I was good enough to make it to 45, I shouldn’t have to suffer circumstances, most of which would be beyond my ability to rectify.
> >
> > Things like dodging maps, quitting to avoid a certain rank/placement, or smurfing (which correct me if I’m wrong, but seems to be essentially H5’s version of boosting/deranking???) would not be stopped in any way by reverting to the Trueskill system of yore. This issue has more to do with people exploiting a given system to get ahead, and then relying on that system guarding against public shaming to continue doing what they are doing, because to put in place in-game to stop this would ultimately only affect everyone else, and so there’s no meaningful method to objectively say that a person is guilty of a thing based off of stats alone.
>
>
> If I may, the Trueskill system never reset and was super hardcore about how it worked. If you were a 35, for example, and you played 10 games in a row alternating between w/l you become locked into that rank and the more this pattern continued the harder that lock became to break, never able to actually improve within that playlist or play against more challenging players. This was a rare occurrence but, for me, it made ranked unappealing. As I got better and improved by playing with/against brigs and generals in social, I could go into ranked and mop the floor but I would never leave 35. Ever. I don’t want to be hard locked like that ever again, but I do want to actually play a challenging game, not be given an arbitrary rank because the system went “Gee, I dunno, you look like a Diamond or something” Proceeds to hand out platinum rank.

I don’t disagree with your sentiments. Given the number of ranked SWAT matches I played on this account, I was stuck bouncing between 40 and 45 for more than a year and it sucked. My only point for wanting to go back to that is purely the 1 - 50 Private to General titles, I could care less for the actual system behind it. I hated getting knocked down after trying so hard. True, the H3 system did not reset, it was obviously not designed to work that way, this division setup borrowed from other titles obviously is, I don’t view this as good or bad, it simply is the way that system works. Though if I was to argue in favour of the division system, I would say that resetting every season gives one a reason to keep coming back at the start of each month.

My main point also is that going back to the H3 system won’t do anything to stop going up against players who would subvert the system to serve their own ends, and basically cheat.

I do hear you though, about playing a challenging game. In my experience playing SWAT, I have found that in most seasons thus far, I have the capacity to achieve Diamond, and yet I am consistently placed in either Gold or low Platinum, it doesn’t seem reasonable when those I play with can achieve Diamond right off the bat and I have to work for it. That said, I relish the reason to keep playing, it can be challenging to hit through to the division higher, especially trying to get from Diamond to Onyx. That is a true challenge for me, at least for now. The placement portion of the beginning of each season really needs to be either explained properly to people so they truly understand how their placements actually work, or possibly tweak it to make it fair - I say that because I honestly don’t think it is.

> 2533274808874789;7:
> > 2533274810191683;5:
> > > 2533274808874789;3:
> > > I agree with you to some extent, I did love the 1-50 ranks simply because I loved calling myself a “Brigadier” and relishing the symbol that came with it. However, I detested with the utmost hatred getting de-ranked every time I lost, for a number of reasons; connection, teammates playing against their team, boosters, de-rankers, and my own bad luck. So getting locked into a division is good for me, as it means that if I have a bad day, or only come across the most ridiculous try-hards I don’t lose all the progress I’d tried so hard to make. Because if I was good enough to make it to 45, I shouldn’t have to suffer circumstances, most of which would be beyond my ability to rectify.
> > >
> > > Things like dodging maps, quitting to avoid a certain rank/placement, or smurfing (which correct me if I’m wrong, but seems to be essentially H5’s version of boosting/deranking???) would not be stopped in any way by reverting to the Trueskill system of yore. This issue has more to do with people exploiting a given system to get ahead, and then relying on that system guarding against public shaming to continue doing what they are doing, because to put in place in-game to stop this would ultimately only affect everyone else, and so there’s no meaningful method to objectively say that a person is guilty of a thing based off of stats alone.
> >
> >
> > If I may, the Trueskill system never reset and was super hardcore about how it worked. If you were a 35, for example, and you played 10 games in a row alternating between w/l you become locked into that rank and the more this pattern continued the harder that lock became to break, never able to actually improve within that playlist or play against more challenging players. This was a rare occurrence but, for me, it made ranked unappealing. As I got better and improved by playing with/against brigs and generals in social, I could go into ranked and mop the floor but I would never leave 35. Ever. I don’t want to be hard locked like that ever again, but I do want to actually play a challenging game, not be given an arbitrary rank because the system went “Gee, I dunno, you look like a Diamond or something” Proceeds to hand out platinum rank.
>
>
> I don’t disagree with your sentiments. Given the number of ranked SWAT matches I played on this account, I was stuck bouncing between 40 and 45 for more than a year and it sucked. My only point for wanting to go back to that is purely the 1 - 50 Private to General titles, I could care less for the actual system behind it. I hated getting knocked down after trying so hard. True, the H3 system did not reset, it was obviously not designed to work that way, this division setup borrowed from other titles obviously is, I don’t view this as good or bad, it simply is the way that system works. Though if I was to argue in favour of the division system, I would say that resetting every season gives one a reason to keep coming back at the start of each month.
>
> My main point also is that going back to the H3 system won’t do anything to stop going up against players who would subvert the system to serve their own ends, and basically cheat.
>
> I do hear you though, about playing a challenging game. In my experience playing SWAT, I have found that in most seasons thus far, I have the capacity to achieve Diamond, and yet I am consistently placed in either Gold or low Platinum, it doesn’t seem reasonable when those I play with can achieve Diamond right off the bat and I have to work for it. That said, I relish the reason to keep playing, it can be challenging to hit through to the division higher, especially trying to get from Diamond to Onyx. That is a true challenge for me, at least for now. The placement portion of the beginning of each season really needs to be either explained properly to people so they truly understand how their placements actually work, or possibly tweak it to make it fair - I say that because I honestly don’t think it is.

The issue is , they don’t make sense. you consistently get into swat Diamond right? Well I was just recently placed in diamond 3, after completing my 10 unranked. I have never been placed in as low as gold, which is probably where I belong. I got Diamond 3 one time back in Feb, so why not are they giving it to me. The system is broken.

> 2533274964259220;1:
> Arena is not functioning the way it was intended to at the beginning of the game. The current system give players too much freedom: dodging maps you aren’t good at, disconnecting so placements don’t count, smurfing. The system is broken, why not use the tried and trueskill (see what I did there?) method that we had to calculate ranks in the past; the 1-50 system. Every player will be able to move up and down the chain of ranks, without getting locked into a division. Losing consistently will cause you to de-rank while winning long streaks of games consecutively will cause exponentially larger increases in your level for every win, as indicated by your performance against the rest of the population improving.

I’d be all for this if it was actually base don player skill. I don’t understand how I can win but go super negative because my team carried me and still rank up, while other games I’m just wrecking kids but because my team sucks I lose. Completely invalidates people who don’t have a good group to play with or friends that still play this game. It’s moronic to give individual skill rank based on how their teams does.

> 2533274810191683;5:
> > 2533274808874789;3:
> > I agree with you to some extent, I did love the 1-50 ranks simply because I loved calling myself a “Brigadier” and relishing the symbol that came with it. However, I detested with the utmost hatred getting de-ranked every time I lost, for a number of reasons; connection, teammates playing against their team, boosters, de-rankers, and my own bad luck. So getting locked into a division is good for me, as it means that if I have a bad day, or only come across the most ridiculous try-hards I don’t lose all the progress I’d tried so hard to make. Because if I was good enough to make it to 45, I shouldn’t have to suffer circumstances, most of which would be beyond my ability to rectify.
> >
> > Things like dodging maps, quitting to avoid a certain rank/placement, or smurfing (which correct me if I’m wrong, but seems to be essentially H5’s version of boosting/deranking???) would not be stopped in any way by reverting to the Trueskill system of yore. This issue has more to do with people exploiting a given system to get ahead, and then relying on that system guarding against public shaming to continue doing what they are doing, because to put in place in-game to stop this would ultimately only affect everyone else, and so there’s no meaningful method to objectively say that a person is guilty of a thing based off of stats alone.
>
>

I hit 42 in H3 and thankfully never got hard locked, but I agree how -Yoink- the ranking is. It feels more like a crap shoot then a functioning system. At least getting level locked allows for more consistent matching (baring smurf accounts obviously) The matches I’m used to seeing now are all over the place, and losing xp to unranked players because there levels are as high as 142 is absolutely infuriating. Trueskill definitely seems worth the risk to me