Are You Going To Buy Any Halo 4 DLC?

Because I won’t. At least I won’t if Halo 4’s DLC integration is anything like Halo Reach’s.

Halo Reach had terrible DLC integration. Halo 3 eventually made several playlists DLC required, which excluded many players. Halo Reach attempted to solve this problem, with a matchmaking algorithm and a few DLC playlists. It worked in theory. In practice, not so much. Which is a shame, because Reach had some great DLC maps.

Halo 4 needs to strike a balance between Halo 3’s “Get It Or Else You Can’t Play” integration and Halo Reach’s “Get It, But Don’t Expect To Play” integration.

How is this going to work? Well first let’s look at what needs to happen.

• Players who buy DLC must be able to play on the maps they have bought.
  • Players who don’t buy DLC must not feel as though they need to buy DLC to play the game.

This means that there must be at least one DLC-required playlist available, so the players who bought the packs can get their money’s worth. Halo Reach had at least one DLC playlist (albeit with low population) up until recently. Now players with the Noble and/or Defiant packs must take their chances in the regular playlists.

However, if we make too many playlists DLC required, players who don’t want to buy DLC will be turned away, because they would feel like they need to pay extra money to play their game.

I don’t have the answers. But I know that unless 343 finds the answers, and makes them work, I will not be buying any DLC for Halo 4. Too much of my money is being wasted.

i will if there like Gears DLCs

Most likely, unless I truly end up hating the game which rarely happens.

I will, because it’s Halo.

Really, that’s about the only reasoning I have.

You never knock something until you try it, you know.

I agree with the OP, the DLC integration in Reach was worse than just about any game ever made. There was probably about a 5% chance you would play on one of the DLC maps in a regular playlist, which is ridiculous. I’m not a big CoD fan, but they know how to integrate their DLC into EVERY playlist, while at the same time not making it a requirement for ANY playlists. 343i needs to learn from CoD in this aspect.

But as far as buying the DLC or not goes, I really don’t know yet. We don’t even know what the game really looks like, so it’s kinda hard to say if I’ll buy the DLC for it or not… But in all likeliness, I’ll probably end up buying most, if not all of the DLC for H4 just bc I love Halo that much.

> I will, because it’s Halo.
>
> Really, that’s about the only reasoning I have.
>
> You never knock something until you try it, you know.

I know what you’re talking about. I’m going to buy Halo 4 on the release date (pre-ordered and everything), because it’s Halo.

But when I bought Reach I was able to play all of the game. When I bought the DLC, I very rarely got to play on them. The DLC playlist(s) almost always had a low population (worse yet, no one voted for Tempest. Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!), and it seemed we always played the same gametypes (Invasion on Breakpoint. Slayer on Condemned. CTF on Highlands. Occasionally Slayer on Breakpoint.). I was not getting the full experience I paid for, partly because I was being outvoted, yes, but also because my options were limited. For a long time there was only 1 DLC playlist. Only 1 place I could go to play my DLC. As a result, I feel I missed out.

> > I will, because it’s Halo.
> >
> > Really, that’s about the only reasoning I have.
> >
> > You never knock something until you try it, you know.
>
> I know what you’re talking about. I’m going to buy Halo 4 on the release date (pre-ordered and everything), because it’s Halo.
>
> But when I bought Reach I was able to play all of the game. When I bought the DLC, I very rarely got to play on them. The DLC playlist(s) almost always had a low population (worse yet, no one voted for Tempest. Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!), and it seemed we always played the same gametypes (Invasion on Breakpoint. Slayer on Condemned. CTF on Highlands. Occasionally Slayer on Breakpoint.). I was not getting the full experience I paid for, partly because I was being outvoted, yes, but also because my options were limited. For a long time there was only 1 DLC playlist. Only 1 place I could go to play my DLC. As a result, I feel I missed out.

I do agree that the Halo 4 DLC integration will require a lot more work than Halo Reach’s…

I really only get to play the DLC maps in Custom Games…

I would propose maybe an even balance…

Halo 3 wasn’t buy the DLC or no multiplayer, it was buy the DLC or be restricted to social and FFA. It was also buy the DLC or never participate in the annual play lists.

I agree with you completely in terms of the DLC integration needing a lot of work, clearly.

Regardless I’ll buy the DLC when it comes out or not, though. Hopefully they spread things out more like they were in Halo 3…

Ask me after Halo 4 has been out for a few weeks.

> I agree with the OP, the DLC integration in Reach was worse than just about any game ever made. There was probably about a 5% chance you would play on one of the DLC maps in a regular playlist, which is ridiculous. I’m not a big CoD fan, but they know how to integrate their DLC into EVERY playlist, while at the same time not making it a requirement for ANY playlists. 343i needs to learn from CoD in this aspect.
>
> But as far as buying the DLC or not goes, I really don’t know yet. We don’t even know what the game really looks like, so it’s kinda hard to say if I’ll buy the DLC for it or not… But in all likeliness, I’ll probably end up buying most, if not all of the DLC for H4 just bc I love Halo that much.

How did CoD do it? Maybe it can work for Halo as well.

> > I agree with the OP, the DLC integration in Reach was worse than just about any game ever made. There was probably about a 5% chance you would play on one of the DLC maps in a regular playlist, which is ridiculous. I’m not a big CoD fan, but they know how to integrate their DLC into EVERY playlist, while at the same time not making it a requirement for ANY playlists. 343i needs to learn from CoD in this aspect.
> >
> > But as far as buying the DLC or not goes, I really don’t know yet. We don’t even know what the game really looks like, so it’s kinda hard to say if I’ll buy the DLC for it or not… But in all likeliness, I’ll probably end up buying most, if not all of the DLC for H4 just bc I love Halo that much.
>
> How did CoD do it? Maybe it can work for Halo as well.

Depends on which CoD you’re talking about.

WaW had a HORRIBLE system. At least the others gave you the option to vote before being kicked…

If you didn’t have the DLC they simply booted you from the game, and unless Halo 4 has an active roster system similar to CoD this simply would not work…

yes i will

Halo 4, as well as its DLC, will be played by me for at least until we get a Halo 5 trailer (not teaser).

> > > I agree with the OP, the DLC integration in Reach was worse than just about any game ever made. There was probably about a 5% chance you would play on one of the DLC maps in a regular playlist, which is ridiculous. I’m not a big CoD fan, but they know how to integrate their DLC into EVERY playlist, while at the same time not making it a requirement for ANY playlists. 343i needs to learn from CoD in this aspect.
> > >
> > > But as far as buying the DLC or not goes, I really don’t know yet. We don’t even know what the game really looks like, so it’s kinda hard to say if I’ll buy the DLC for it or not… But in all likeliness, I’ll probably end up buying most, if not all of the DLC for H4 just bc I love Halo that much.
> >
> > How did CoD do it? Maybe it can work for Halo as well.
>
> Depends on which CoD you’re talking about.
>
> WaW had a HORRIBLE system. At least the others gave you the option to vote before being kicked…
>
> If you didn’t have the DLC they simply booted you from the game, and unless Halo 4 has an active roster system similar to CoD this simply would not work…

I guess I did forget to specify… I forgot the earlier CoD’s would just kick you if you didn’t have the maps lol stupid… But CoD: Black Ops did it perfectly. It would always match you with people who had the exact same maps as you… EX: If you had map packs 1 & 3, but not map pack 2, you would get matched with people who had map packs 1&3 just like you, so you get to play on the maps you paid for and get your moneys worth out of them.

I really hope 343 can figure out how to do something similar, that way no one is forced to buy them, but at the same time the people who bought them get their moneys worth.

I will, simply because it’s Halo. But I do hope they follow Gears of War 3’s example. Release a map pack along with several other features (new armor, gametype, mini-story, etc) and then in no more then a couple month, release the maps for free so the community isn’t forever divided by the DLC. So everyone could play the new maps, but the other features could only be accessed by those that purchase it.

> Depends on which CoD you’re talking about.
>
> WaW had a HORRIBLE system. At least the others gave you the option to vote before being kicked…
>
> If you didn’t have the DLC they simply booted you from the game, and unless Halo 4 has an active roster system similar to CoD this simply would not work…

Hmm. Then I guess 343 will have to find their own solution.

I don’t have any doubts that I’ll get it.

It’s Halo.

They do have to work them into MM a lot better though

I’ll probably end up getting them no matter what. The only way I won’t get the DLC is if the game is terrible, which I highly doubt.

I still need to get the Reach DLC, but I probably will get the Halo 4 DLC after it comes out.

How about making a playlist for EACH map pack, with only the maps from that map pack with no exceptions.

They really shouldn’t put regular maps in DLC playlists because if you really want to play a regular map, then go into the regular playlist when youre done playing a specific map.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

> How about making a playlist for EACH map pack, with only the maps from that map pack with no exceptions.
>
> They really shouldn’t put regular maps in DLC playlists because if you really want to play a regular map, then go into the regular playlist when youre done playing a specific map.
>
> PROBLEM SOLVED!

Problem solved…? This is really not much different from what Reach did, except Reach had one slayer and one objective playlist in which all DLC maps were included (with the occasional sword base or countdown etc.)… And the playlists had super low populations, meaning it wasn’t a very big success. So I don’t know that this would be the best choice. Just sayin.