Are We Forgetting About Armor Coatings?

So as many are aware, the armor coatings are a new addition to Halo Infinite that is set to replace that past color schemes. 343i claims it will allow them to introduce more customization options than ever. This information all came out as long ago as 2020. What upsets me is that during the time 343i is taking to improve the game, nobody with a higher presence than the unknown fans such as myself haven’t spoken out against this. The armor coatings are best summed up in a comment I once read, “Hey guys we’re improving customization with coatings and allowing you even more uniqueness and expression, just choose one of our preset made coatings that you have no control over.”

343i has done a very poor job of explaining them even AFTER they released a statement explaining them. Armor coatings are not innovative from the sounds of it. They are literally just Destiny shaders. They will have preset colors with preset textures and preset combinations on your entire body of armor. This would easily allow 343i to create a battlepass or monetization plan to get people to buy even more armor coatings that hardly change anything other than the preset pattern and colors of the armor pieces you have equipped. You’ll most certainly get to change each minor piece of armor but that is ALREADY what you could do in Reach. How is this better than Reach’s customization?

It’s absolutely predatory in my opinion. I have firmly stood by Infinite but the more I’m seeing of this particular part of it the more I am losing faith that 343i/Microsoft is truly there to care about the fanbase. When has paying $5 for a COLOR or coating ever been okay in a Bungie-era Halo game besides Recon? It’s disgusting. I’ve seen many say they don’t care or don’t mind such a system but that’s the EXACT reason why companies like EA, Valve, and Ubisoft are consecutively getting away with all the bad things they do. I understand they need to make money but Halo Reach did just fine on day one sales alone without ever adding insane DLC. With that in mind I once came up with my own armor customization idea that 343i could replace armor coatings with…

It’s as simple as launching the game with a base amount of colors. I mean the bare minimum primary colors and secondary colors. Literally we’d have a handful of colors to choose from and that’s it. Through gameplay or purchasing (to appease the money gods of 343i/Microsoft) we’d get different shades (not shaders) and hues of those specific colors or even colors not on the primary/secondary scales. Example: Instead of the base blue you could get emerald or sky blue. Simple. As. That. Now, armor coatings could still be a thing technically. And by that I mean they only apply to textures. We could launch with a default armor coating. Through gameplay or purchasing we could get something like rustic, glossy, matte, weathered, combat worn, and SO much more. There’s an insane plethora of coatings they could had come up with and lock behind microtransactions that would have at least given us the OPTION to get. Furthermore, there could have been a third layer which would be ‘patterns’ that we could have chosen. Like digital, woodland, basic, or whatever to overlay on top of the already intricate system so far. They wouldn’t even have to go as far as to let us customize every individual piece of armor with different settings. But if they did we could have a Spartan with a woodland camouflage chest piece that is colored red, green, and black. Then each shoulder pad is red or black with a carbon fiber texture applied. Each thigh piece could have just matte black applied. The left leg piece could be digital maroon, blue, and lavender. The right leg piece could be glossy off-white. And the helmet could be a weathered orange with some badass visor color. It’d look goofy and mix-matched but THAT is the level of customization I wanted to see. Nobody really would run around looking like that but that would go to show that I either grinded or paid to have those extra colors/textures/patterns on my personal Spartan. Seeing as how we won’t get playable Elites they could have at least given us something like this in return. 343i, you’re doing a lot right but you’re doing a lot wrong. Maybe you should have asked what kind of customization we wanted to see instead of copying Destiny. Last I heard, shaders were one of the greatest complaints with Destiny. Halo is supposed to pioneer things. If it was the first shooter to have THAT level of customization then it’d be a flagship series like it is supposed to be. But even DOOM (or Anthem of all games) have more intricate customization than the supposedly revolutionary Halo: Infinite will.

tl;dr: I think armor coatings are a bad idea and I stand by my idea about what level of customization we should get including how 343i/Microsoft can potentially monetize it. (Sad I had to incorporate that but it is what it is).

So how could I get this message across them? Do they even care? Is it too late to throw away their system and make something like mine which would have MORE options that what they are presenting?

We didn’t forget. Many of us just realized that with a free to play system, there is going to be something that becomes monetized in response.

Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.

I honestly don’t have a problem with it but I can see why some might. I think you’re going to see lots of cool unique Spartans in multiplayer. My only hope though is they don’t keep some coating exclusive to pops and candy bars and etc, better be a way to still attain them in-game some other way.

Nobody forgot. The thing is we simply don’t have much information about them outside of the small bits 343 have said. For me, it reminds me too much of Destiny’s shader system and I’m not a fan of that. I certainly hope the amount of free shaders are numerous and options to just have solid colors exist. However, it’d be clawing at the wind to raise the torches at the moment.

> 2535467179739507;2:
> We didn’t forget. Many of us just realized that with a free to play system, there is going to be something that becomes monetized in response.
>
> Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.

I agree on all of this. In fact, I would take this over REQ packs any time of day. Sadly, I figured that my system would actually benefit them and us equally. The customization for us would be near endless. The paywalls and monetizing they could do would ALSO be near endless. Win/win/lose basically.

> 2535417286073297;5:
> > 2535467179739507;2:
> > We didn’t forget. Many of us just realized that with a free to play system, there is going to be something that becomes monetized in response.
> >
> > Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.
>
> I agree on all of this. In fact, I would take this over REQ packs any time of day. Sadly, I figured that my system would actually benefit them and us equally. The customization for us would be near endless. The paywalls and monetizing they could do would ALSO be near endless. Win/win/lose basically.

I understand where you are coming from. I have seen almost all of the unique ideas that would implement a better system. unfortunately these “improved” ideas are based on the lack of knowledge we have pertaining to this issue.

As of right now all we know of this system is based off of the legal documentation included in the promotions, and the vague explanation Unyshek gave us. I am sure come here in about 2 weeks there will be more info given

> 2535467179739507;6:
> As of right now all we know of this system is based off of the legal documentation of the promotions

I haven’t followed much Infinite news lately.
Could you please explain this part?

I know the sentence is meant to be understood with some background information, or perhaps it’s not optimally worded.
However it sounds like the entire system they went with, is based on some documents and contracts for promotional material.

Meaning that, for instance, they didn’t include a feature for us to change visible colors on coats for us, because they made a contract with Oreo to have specific colors that can’t be changed by anyone?

Am I reading / understanding that correctly?

> 2533274795123910;7:
> > 2535467179739507;6:
> > As of right now all we know of this system is based off of the legal documentation of the promotions
>
> I haven’t followed much Infinite news lately.
> Could you please explain this part?
>
> I know the sentence is meant to be understood with some background information, or perhaps it’s not optimally worded.
> However it sounds like the entire system they went with, is based on some documents and contracts for promotional material.
>
> Meaning that, for instance, they didn’t include a feature for us to change visible colors on coats for us, because they made a contract with Oreo to have specific colors that can’t be changed by anyone?
>
> Am I reading / understanding that correctly?

The legal documentation boils down to how the promotions were handled and what regions it took place in, many read over the information they contained and found that the promotional items seemed time gated by about 3-5 months and possibly the in-game prices for each item, that being Coatings: $5.99 and Emblems/Nameplates: $2.99. There are quite a few YouTube videos and other forum/blog posts that present exactly what is said better than what I am able to do.

I’m fine with it, I hated the idea at first, but with how much other customization it has to offer, I’m sure I’ll find a cool coating with colors I like that will work with my armor choices. Not too worried about it overall if the game looks good and has lots of other options.

No. There is really a reason to complain about it at this time. There is nothing we can do about it at the moment and anyone who listens will shrug it off “until we see it.” I am waiting until we get our hands on the system for ourselves where I, inevitably, will not get an armor coating I like. I expect many to follow. I am sure if we complain enough, SOMETHING will happen. But we need to see it first because I do not think anyone will take the complaints seriously until then.

> 2535467179739507;2:
> Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.

Here’s the thing though: they can monetize more if they allowed for more customization. Once I find a shader that is good enough then I will have no incentive to buy more. Hell, I will refuse to buy one until I find one that is perfect for me - which is inevitably not going to happen. Bungie even gave up on trying to monetize these things because no one brought them for these reasons.

However, if 343 sold textures, patterns, materials, markings, hell - even colors, then I will be willing to buy the tools necessary to make my Spartan look how I want them to look.

If I’m being honest, fundamentally speaking, there’s very little anyone can do to change the system at this point. A lot of people realize that and moved on, plus it just hasn’t been brought up in a while. Consider the dust settled.

Your probably going to see a lot more people in favor of it at this point, since those who stayed either can live with it (not necessarily like it) or find it an improvement.

Personally, I see it as an unwanted change. I may not be very bothered since my colours are basic, but it’s clear that there’s a lot of worry around other people’s combinations. But like others have mentioned, we know next to nothing about what they’ll be like. So for all we know, they may have billions lined up for us to choose from at the start, or they may have just a few dozen, it’s a Schrodinger’s Cat. To add to that, we don’t even know how to apply them to our characters. It might be per peice arrangements, which I would think is far superior to anything prior.

But Multiplayer will be free, so it makes sense for them to use cosmetics as a method to make money.
I mean that decision to make the multiplayer free is questionable from a historical perspective, but it might be wants needed to finally bring Halo to the modern gaming landscape.
As long as it’s only cosmetics and not in-game items like the req packs, it’s fine from a consume standpoint.

I’m really not pressed ab this assuming there will be plenty unique and varied combos for me to choose from. Definitely like the control from previous games, and wish we could have both systems in infinite, but I can’t see it as anything worth crying over. Also i do sorta like being able to wear a color scheme that has a tiny bit of lore behind it but that’s just me. But please god I hope they stay reasonable with the skins and not go full on cod adding Rambo or saw

Be prepared for the most egregious and outrageous microtransaction system ever brought to Halo. You can already see people defending 343i for trying to make extra cash off this game with the multiplayer being free-to-play. But let’s not forget the rest of the game will likely be $60, so fans of the whole Halo package are kind of getting ripped off.

> 2533274857577417;14:
> Be prepared for the most egregious and outrageous microtransaction system ever brought to Halo. You can already see people defending 343i for trying to make extra cash off this game with the multiplayer being free-to-play. But let’s not forget the rest of the game will likely be $60, so fans of the whole Halo package are kind of getting ripped off.

Not defending - just realistic.

People are going to want all the bells and whistles for multiplayer - lots of content, updates, DLC, and server time. That has to be paid for… for 10 years!

And yes, 343 also need to make a profit in that time as well.

Now that I’ve secured an Series X and an new monitor to play it on… I’m going to start budgeting for microtransactions. I can’t wait to buy me some obnoxious helmets with absurdly protruding appendages.

> 2535417286073297;5:
> > 2535467179739507;2:
> > We didn’t forget. Many of us just realized that with a free to play system, there is going to be something that becomes monetized in response.
> >
> > Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.
>
> I would take this over REQ packs any time of day.

Why ? The req system offered the opportunity to get everything without paying a penny. Now they’ve announced a system and stated there will be premium pay walled content along with things to grind for and you prefer it ? I find that remarkable.

I’m no fan of the req system for a few reasons but we never HAD to pay $/£ for armour or colours. I would be ok with the armour coatings if we could colour them, but I smell a huge rat with this.

I’m saying it now… We will be able to earn or grind x amount, but I believe the the best kit and the sweet, sweet sets will be pay walled with many in the “timed events” they announced creating FOMO etc.

As always, I hope I’m wrong but I see the coatings and colours being heavily monetised.

Definitely too late to change now I’d think, pretty sure they’re set on this system. Whether you like it or not, the industry has changed since the Bungie era. They wouldn’t be satisfied with just Reach day 1 sales anymore. They’ve realized over time that mp games like this can be MASSIVE money makers, like billion dollar status. Makes Reach look like a joke in terms of profit potential. I’m just hoping that we get a good amount of default coatings.

No one’s forgotten but honestly who wants to focus on the color/armor selection for your in game character when we haven’t even seen what MP is going to be like. By your original post it kind of seems like you think this should be front and center for 343 to address but I certainly don’t want their E3 presentation to revolve around coatings. Much bigger fish to fry at the moment.

> 2592250499819446;16:
> > 2535417286073297;5:
> > > 2535467179739507;2:
> > > We didn’t forget. Many of us just realized that with a free to play system, there is going to be something that becomes monetized in response.
> > >
> > > Do I like it? No. But unfortunately 343 will most likely not be swayed to change this, personally I will accept either paying for or earning my color scheme over the past req system.
> >
> > I would take this over REQ packs any time of day.
>
> Why ? The req system offered the opportunity to get everything without paying a penny. Now they’ve announced a system and stated there will be premium pay walled content along with things to grind for and you prefer it ? I find that remarkable.
>
> I’m no fan of the req system for a few reasons but we never HAD to pay $/£ for armour or colours. I would be ok with the armour coatings if we could colour them, but I smell a huge rat with this.
>
> I’m saying it now… We will be able to earn or grind x amount, but I believe the the best kit and the sweet, sweet sets will be pay walled with many in the “timed events” they announced creating FOMO etc.
>
> As always, I hope I’m wrong but I see the coatings and colours being heavily monetised.

I am genuinely surprised you prefer the Req system. Reqs were just loot boxes. You never could guess what would pop up on the screen, you wanted mark 4? Well grind some points and hope you get lucky or pay $4.99 and feel like that improved your odds.

Yes I sincerely prefer this system, Why? Simply for the reasons of: No armor is going to be monetized and I know exactly where/what my money will be going to. Will this model change in the future to include armor? Most likely, but I know that instead of spending hundreds of hours or dollars for an armor set, I can just buy what I want and be done with it

> 2533274857577417;14:
> Be prepared for the most egregious and outrageous microtransaction system ever brought to Halo. You can already see people defending 343i for trying to make extra cash off this game with the multiplayer being free-to-play. But let’s not forget the rest of the game will likely be $60, so fans of the whole Halo package are kind of getting ripped off.

Not to mention there will be season passes and (probably but still unconfirmed) full-priced yearly or biannual expansions .