Are there any plans to make Easy Anti-Cheat compatible with Linux?

So apparently some games with Windows anti-cheat software (including EAC) are confirmed to be playable on Linux, but I couldn’t find anything for the MCC. Is the game’s online portion supported on Linux yet? Are there any plans to make the game’s online portion available on Linux in the near future?

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Well EAC is Easy Anti Cheat…
I am sure every OS System comes with a built in (Anti Cheat…) if not when you download the game…
they come with the software I think.

Operating systems come with anticheat software for unaffiliated video game programs now?

1 Like

343 is making it clear they have no plans for Linux support, the only way anyone was able to get a response out of them about it was harassing them through support tickets. No explanation for why they won’t, though. Seems unusual to be so vehemently against a Linux userbase playing your game for little reason if any at all.

2 Likes

Sure hopefully they do because I want to be able to play MCC on the Steam Deck eventually since it’s run on Linux.

2 Likes

EAC has updated with LInux support in Proton, so it would be a simple checkbox according to Epic to update. And supporting the Steam Deck would be good, the best way is to let players get at it early on Linux currently and let them submit tickets to get iron out other issues with anti-cheat itself. Valve and Epic, mostly Valve, have done a lot of the heavy work allowing devs to support Linux with hardly any effort.

4 Likes

It would be great if 343 checked off the box to allow EAC to work on Linux. No development work required, just checking off a box and making many gamers happy…

Micrsoft has even said with Halo games today that they want to bring players together through games and not through platforms. By checking off the EAC box for linux support, it will allow more gamers to get into Halo and play with others around the game they enjoy.

And I hope 343 does what it can to allow the Infinite to work on Linux.

3 Likes

I feel like this should happen eventually. I know cloud gaming is an option but not everyone wants to play via the cloud and many of us are wanting to play on the Steam Deck someday so turning on EAC means we can enjoy MCC and Infinite on the go without restrictions. Plus based on the messy premium pass I would think 343i would want more customers. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ll be pushing for a refund if it isn’t enabled soon, i got the game this week and i can’t enjoy the online features due to the outdated EAC version.

2 Likes

Well the more people that keep asking the better. I suspect it’ll get more attention when the Steam Deck releases since Phil Spencer seems keen on it.

4 Likes

I would love if it would happen before the steam deck launch, been wanting to get into halo but can’t because of this.

1 Like

I believe the reason that they’ve been refusing Linux support has been for 2 reasons:

• the TF2 Bot Crisis, as supposedly the Bots are coming from Linux systems (not sure about all the technical stuff, but it might also be why they didn’t want Offline Bots set up for MCC)
  • Halo is a flagship Microsoft IP, they made it available on PC since the OS requirement is still Windows, which is a Microsoft product. they don’t want to put it on a competitors software for the same reasons they don’t want to put it on the Sony Playstation series of consoles.

Note - I am not trying to be noncivil with this, dont take it as an argument. I am simply stating why Microsoft should not use these excuses.

1. Linux is a more efficient platform for servers, so running bots from there is easier. Additionally, to shut down an entire userbase because of an isolated incident on a game from 2007 is unfair, to say the least.
  2. This would be anticompetitive behavior, which is illegal in the United States, and got Microsoft sued before. I hope this is not their reasoning, because that is an awful way to treat consumers.

Here’s hoping its just that they haven’t put in the effort yet, and are waiting until the steam deck launch.

1 Like

These are decent counterpoints, however I feel should touch upon a few things:

1. it isn’t an issue solely isolated to TF2, just that TF2 is still the face of the issue. Both Titanfall’s have also been experiencing the same botting issues as TF2 to my understanding, but they’re less talked about and potentially exacerbated by EA’s lack of customer care as a corporation. It’s also quite possible that the hesitancy is formed by the potential susceptibility titles could have, and that might be more than enough reason for Microsoft to dismiss enabling Linux support regardless of if Linux has better server efficiency.
  2. It’s definitely aggravating for non-Windows users, but not violating antitrust laws. If it was, all of the Big 3 would be breaking antitrust laws by having console exclusive IP’s, as well as many 3rd party and independent developers on PC who choose to only release on certain Platforms while shunning support for others. Linux is a Platform, and they have no obligation to sell for that Platform if they choose not to; Microsoft likely won’t since again, that’d be like putting the MCC on PS5 and Switch (Even if everyone would love it being on Switch)

don’t get me wrong, I understand that Linux users get the short end of the stick a ton when it comes to support for most software, but MCC is a Microsoft Product; expecting that they would sell it for Linux is like expecting to buy Pepsi merch from the Las Vegas Coca-Cola store.

343 said they want to bring people together with games and not platforms with Infinite, don’t see why they wont enable EAC for Linux.

2 Likes

this is honestly FUD at its finest, blaming “Linux” for Bots as a reason not to port to/support the platform is like blaming the sky for the colour blue. Bots would have been an issue regardless of the platform, it just happens to have been the dominant one offered by hosters at the time and what the Deducated Server software (rightfully) ran on if true.

Anyway the response i got from support was quote: “We hear you (…) please upvote the subject on the forums”
Ask an ye shall receive.

PS. Halo was a Bungie IP until it was purchased way later in its lifetime around the Halo3-4 era.

2 Likes

Linux has an exploit, Microsoft does not, don’t see how thats FUD. At the end of the day it’s about how much work they want to put in securing the game for another platform, and what returns they get by doing so. Support told you exactly the right thing to do if you want them to consider it, but remember that they consider risk assessment too before they greenlight these kinds of things.

PS. Microsoft acquired Bungie and the Halo franchise in 2000 making it a shared IP until 2007 when Bungie successfully seceded from Microsoft. the ownership of Halo was retained by Microsoft as part of the separation deal.

Umm… Windows is exploitable too. Any PC platform is exploitable, even macs. If they feel this strongly about exploits, they should have never ported halo MCC to PC.

1 Like