Are the people who dislike Halo 5 a minority?

Just wanted to know some facts. Feel free to give your opinion, but please don’t argue. Personally I enjoy it very much, but I wouldn’t be pissed off if 343i decides to bring back OG Halo’s Art Style or Gameplay.
:slight_smile:

Majority. The poor sales numbers and dwindling population speaks for itself.

> 2535435415098702;1:
> Just wanted to know some facts. Feel free to give your opinion, but please don’t argue. Personally I enjoy it very much, but I wouldn’t be pissed off if 343i decides to bring back OG Halo’s Art Style or Gameplay.
> :slight_smile:

I dislike the campaign (story not the gameplay) love the multiplayer hate the servers

Halo 5 generated $400 million in its first week, and sold 5 million copies within the first 3 months of release, setting a record for the fastest selling stand alone Xbox one title in that first week. It also had more viewers than ever for the 2017 world championship series. Going off of that information, I’m going to take an educated guess here and assume that people wouldn’t spend time watching something that they don’t enjoy. This leads me to conclude that the whiners and complainers are the ones who feel compelled to come on here and complain, while those who enjoy the game never use their time to defend the game on these forums (because what’s the point of that, really?). I rarely post on here because I enjoy the game, but I don’t mind adding in a comment here and there. I’d be willing to bet that it’s the vocal minority who get their voices heard on here, making it seem worse than it is. That’s just my opinion based off of what I’ve observed. There are other biased articles who claim to know that halo 5’s #s sucked, but the real information is there if you search deep enough. Unless I’m shown an official non-biased report posted by Microsoft, my opinion won’t be swayed. Haters are always going to hate. It’ll happen with every game, every time.

I can say I’m one of them who dislike Halo 5 and the main reasons are no open map exploration and enemy balancing in Campaign. Then there are also the fact that forge cannot be played without xbox live connection.

The reason why Halo 5 is disliked is that the campaign don’t meat up with the Halo standards and that we didn’t get a full game in day 1. There are also a lot of broken features and so on.

I would prefer to see Halo not be an advanced mobility shooter but that is an decision that was made by 343 and we do only have to see in which direction 343 industries decided to go with in Halo 6.

Just an uneducated guess but I’d wager it’s a vocal minority of detractors and smaller number of defenders/fanboys. The vast majority that bought in were either just happy enough or meh and a reasonable number of those have since moved on.

I liked it - the story was a bit weak but it played well (mechanically) but didn’t offer up that open sandbox feel to levels like H3. Many missing features, a limited solo experience and a lack of offline modes also hurt but it was still fun and updates have helped the experience.

I feel that there’s a bigger population drop post e3 unless we get some kind of proverbial dangling carrot.

no their not the minority. For me I played halo 5 year 1 with the garbage campaign the severs microtransactions lack of content lack of maps game modes disappointing updates I quit and moved to halo wars 2 (which is amazing) lets just hope 343 has better luck with halo 6 and or releases H3A.

> 2533274873703637;2:
> Majority. The poor sales numbers and dwindling population speaks for itself.

This.
now the individual reasons might be part of a minority.

For example the anti sprint crowd (me) might be a minority.

But I would say the majority of the community doesn’t like Halo 5, which is why it’s the lowest selling Halo game, and why it has such a poor population.

Somewhere along the lines, most people just don’t find this game fun like they did with halo 1-3.

> 2533274792855310;4:
> Halo 5 generated $400 million in its first week, and sold 5 million copies within the first 3 months of release, setting a record for the fastest selling stand alone Xbox one title in that first week. It also had more viewers than ever for the 2017 world championship series. Going off of that information, I’m going to take an educated guess here and assume that people wouldn’t spend time watching something that they don’t enjoy. This leads me to conclude that the whiners and complainers are the ones who feel compelled to come on here and complain, while those who enjoy the game never use their time to defend the game on these forums (because what’s the point of that, really?). I rarely post on here because I enjoy the game, but I don’t mind adding in a comment here and there. I’d be willing to bet that it’s the vocal minority who get their voices heard on here, making it seem worse than it is. That’s just my opinion based off of what I’ve observed. There are other biased articles who claim to know that halo 5’s #s sucked, but the real information is there if you search deep enough. Unless I’m shown an official non-biased report posted by Microsoft, my opinion won’t be swayed. Haters are always going to hate. It’ll happen with every game, every time.

You’re not going to see a non-biased report from Microsoft. It’s their game. The best thing to do is just enjoy what you enjoy and not give a crap what other’s think. Not be swayed by popular opinion because popularity does not equal quality. Otherwise McDonald’s and Justin Bieber would be good quality. And that’s simply not true. Most people use earbuds for headphones. Those sound terrible. Sound waves have a physical size, no matter how much you pay for earbuds, they’re not going do produce the proper frequencies I’m looking for. Most dudes keep the bills of their ballcaps straight nowadays. That looks ridiculous. Most people listen to music with fake instruments played by a midi sequencer and vocals manipulated by pitched editors so even the singing is fake. It’s fake, computerized garbage someone whipped up on a Macbook. No musicians required. It’s awful.

So if I did what everyone did because it’s popular, I’d be eating garbage fast food, listening to robot music, wearing ballcaps that didn’t fit the contours of my skull, and obsessing over how all the video games I played when I was prepubescent were better than all the ones I played when afterwards. Which means I’d be sitting here saying THIS was amazing. But I was an adult the whole time Halo was out, so I don’t seem to have that problem with it. Star Wars, however … don’t get me started. (What I’m trying to say is, I’m old and therefore don’t care what anyone thinks. It’s great. And I get to make dumb anecdotes and jokes like these all the time.)

Now, in terms of the success of the franchise, that’s a different story. If it’s not doing well, that’s a problem. But Halo 5 did rather well. Not as well as Halo 3, but that was a cultural phenomenon the likes nothing short of a time machine will ever allow us to see again. Asking Halo to pull that off again would be like asking Mc Hammer to pull off 1992 again. Halo 5’s player retention and longevity has relieved my worries from Halo 4. I was worried that either (a) 343 couldn’t make a game people would stick to like Bungie could, or (b) people just didn’t stick to games like they used to. Then GTA V came along and ruined that second theory. But Halo 5 is still going. At this point in Halo 4’s lifespan it was a ghost town. It was easier to get matches in Halo 3 & Reach. So on the matchmaking side, they’ve made significant progress.

But being relieved that they topped Halo 4’s multiplayer is a pretty low bar now that I think about it. lol

> 2533274873703637;2:
> Majority. The poor sales numbers and dwindling population speaks for itself.

Source for the “dwindling population” ?

> 2533274883669557;9:
> > 2533274792855310;4:
> > Halo 5 generated $400 million in its first week, and sold 5 million copies within the first 3 months of release, setting a record for the fastest selling stand alone Xbox one title in that first week. It also had more viewers than ever for the 2017 world championship series. Going off of that information, I’m going to take an educated guess here and assume that people wouldn’t spend time watching something that they don’t enjoy. This leads me to conclude that the whiners and complainers are the ones who feel compelled to come on here and complain, while those who enjoy the game never use their time to defend the game on these forums (because what’s the point of that, really?). I rarely post on here because I enjoy the game, but I don’t mind adding in a comment here and there. I’d be willing to bet that it’s the vocal minority who get their voices heard on here, making it seem worse than it is. That’s just my opinion based off of what I’ve observed. There are other biased articles who claim to know that halo 5’s #s sucked, but the real information is there if you search deep enough. Unless I’m shown an official non-biased report posted by Microsoft, my opinion won’t be swayed. Haters are always going to hate. It’ll happen with every game, every time.
>
> You’re not going to see a non-biased report from Microsoft. It’s their game.

Yes, it’s their game. But I would trust them to not lie about the #'s being reported (compared to some other reporter posting about it online). If anyone knows about statistics involving Halo, it’s Microsoft. - Especially with them owning Xbox and the Xbox Live service. In that sense, I would expect a report from Microsoft to be non-biased. Just because someone owns something doesn’t mean they’ll fluff information in their favor. For example, if we were at the gym and you asked, “Who’s stronger on this type of lift? You or me?”, I would ask how much you could lift, and then factor that in with your bodyweight. Then I’d tell you how much I could lift and factor in my own bodyweight. I wouldn’t be biased when telling you who’s stronger. I’d just tell you the answer based on the math. I’d expect the same type of honesty from Microsoft when talking about Halo’s #'s.

You never really know. Look at the YouTube comments and you’ll see a lot of hate for Halo 5 and 343. Look here on Waypoint and you’ll see that a lot of people like halo 5. Population isn’t always the best indicator. For instance, I love Titanfall 2, but I rarely play it because of school and Halo 5.

Just a heads up, dismissing the people you disagree with as whiners and haters and complainers isn’t conductive conduct. I personally didn’t care for Halo 5, but I’d never assume those who liked it are brainwashed or rabid 343 fanboys.

As as far as who has the majority or minority populations, I have to wonder if that even matters. Things like the campaign being regarded as a dumpster fire narratively (despite good gameplay) is pretty much a widely held position. People are still split on whether they think REQ Pack micro transactions are a good thing. People are going to hound 343 more than ever for a complete experience at launch with the next Halo game.

I know it’s comforting to think all the people who love Halo 5 are too busy playing it comment on forums and all the “haters” just go to fourms to complain, but it’s basis in reality is questionable. Either way, the critical position has made an impact regardless of size.

> 2533274792855310;11:
> > 2533274883669557;9:
> > > 2533274792855310;4:
> > > Halo 5 generated $400 million in its first week, and sold 5 million copies within the first 3 months of release, setting a record for the fastest selling stand alone Xbox one title in that first week. It also had more viewers than ever for the 2017 world championship series. Going off of that information, I’m going to take an educated guess here and assume that people wouldn’t spend time watching something that they don’t enjoy. This leads me to conclude that the whiners and complainers are the ones who feel compelled to come on here and complain, while those who enjoy the game never use their time to defend the game on these forums (because what’s the point of that, really?). I rarely post on here because I enjoy the game, but I don’t mind adding in a comment here and there. I’d be willing to bet that it’s the vocal minority who get their voices heard on here, making it seem worse than it is. That’s just my opinion based off of what I’ve observed. There are other biased articles who claim to know that halo 5’s #s sucked, but the real information is there if you search deep enough. Unless I’m shown an official non-biased report posted by Microsoft, my opinion won’t be swayed. Haters are always going to hate. It’ll happen with every game, every time.
> >
> > You’re not going to see a non-biased report from Microsoft. It’s their game.
>
> Yes, it’s their game. But I would trust them to not lie about the #'s being reported (compared to some other reporter posting about it online). If anyone knows about statistics involving Halo, it’s Microsoft. - Especially with them owning Xbox and the Xbox Live service. In that sense, I would expect a report from Microsoft to be non-biased. Just because someone owns something doesn’t mean they’ll fluff information in their favor. For example, if we were at the gym and you asked, “Who’s stronger on this type of lift? You or me?”, I would ask how much you could lift, and then factor that in with your bodyweight. Then I’d tell you how much I could lift and factor in my own bodyweight. I wouldn’t be biased when telling you who’s stronger. I’d just tell you the answer based on the math. I’d expect the same type of honesty from Microsoft when talking about Halo’s #'s.

Right, but they already have shown bias …

First of all, let’s address the elephant in the room, since I personally am not biased against them and I understand a big issue right now with what appear to be slumping sales numbers across the entire industry: digital sales. They don’t take them into consideration. At all. And more & more people are turning to them (hell, ALL of my games are digital now). So, we don’t know what they are, but some recent news from a couple of publishers (one of which is not Microsoft), the estimates have been incredibly low, so sales numbers over the past several years could actually be much higher than they seem, leading some to think that sales have actually been going up rather than slumping … to be clear: people may have moved to digital in such a way that reported sales numbers are wildly inaccurate and counting only physical copies still is a misleading and archaic thing to do.

On the other hand, and this may have to do with the practice of them not including digital sales and therefore compensating to avoid looking bad, instead of giving a solid number of just physical discs, they’ve released a total dollar amount which included merchandise, console bundles, and I believe REQ sales (maybe?), but either way, many found that a bit shady and unfair since previous titles did no such thing.

So they already have been … I’m not going to say dishonest, they haven’t been dishonest since it’s completely up to them how they choose to do this … but the way they chose to announce the success of the game (and it has been successful by all accounts, especially for an exclusive) has been unorthodox and rather different than previous Halo titles which leads people to believe they’re using smoke & mirrors to make things seem favorable to them, i.e.; biased.

I sincerely hope not, I think everyone should hold Halo to a higher standard than what Halo 5 delivered.
‘Sure let’s just add in the missing 60% of the game post launch, who cares. Let’s gate all of the customisation behind a gambling system while we’re at it, the kids’ll love it.’

It’s hard to say really. There will ALWAYS ALWAYS be people around hating whatever version of a game is out for whatever reason. H5 isn’t the best Halo but it isn’t the worse to me. To me Reach still takes the title as the worse, yes armor lock was that bad. You should never get a lame invincibility button and Kat’s driving in the Campaign still gives me an eye twitch. H5 Campaign gets more hate than it deserves IMO. As far as content goes yeah not a lot there at launch but for those of us who got the memo we knew that going in, we knew all the stuff would be “added” later. H5 I still play quit regularly. Reach I actually quit for long periods of time. Just wish the complainers here would move along already. H5 is what it is and there really is no complaint that hasn’t been here 100 times now. If you don’t like a game move on sooner or later. Just gotta hope for something different in H6 and since Halo chances from game to game odds are H6 will be different.

> 2533274812652989;13:
> Just a heads up, dismissing the people you disagree with as whiners and haters and complainers isn’t conductive conduct. I personally didn’t care for Halo 5, but I’d never assume those who liked it are brainwashed or rabid 343 fanboys.
>
> As as far as who has the majority or minority populations, I have to wonder if that even matters. Things like the campaign being regarded as a dumpster fire narratively (despite good gameplay) is pretty much a widely held position. People are still split on whether they think REQ Pack micro transactions are a good thing. People are going to hound 343 more than ever for a complete experience at launch with the next Halo game.
>
> I know it’s comforting to think all the people who love Halo 5 are too busy playing it comment on forums and all the “haters” just go to fourms to complain, but it’s basis in reality is questionable. Either way, the critical position has made an impact regardless of size.

I like Halo 5 multiplayer a lot. That being said, I’m surprised that, to paraphrase, “good campaign gameplay is a widely held position.” I thought it was particularly bad and unfun, with the poop squad mechanics, repetitive Warden fights, and the constant requirement to be climbing around like a monkey. I totally agree about the story being a dumpster fire, excellent description, lol.

> 2533274795853970;17:
> > 2533274812652989;13:
> > Just a heads up, dismissing the people you disagree with as whiners and haters and complainers isn’t conductive conduct. I personally didn’t care for Halo 5, but I’d never assume those who liked it are brainwashed or rabid 343 fanboys.
> >
> > As as far as who has the majority or minority populations, I have to wonder if that even matters. Things like the campaign being regarded as a dumpster fire narratively (despite good gameplay) is pretty much a widely held position. People are still split on whether they think REQ Pack micro transactions are a good thing. People are going to hound 343 more than ever for a complete experience at launch with the next Halo game.
> >
> > I know it’s comforting to think all the people who love Halo 5 are too busy playing it comment on forums and all the “haters” just go to fourms to complain, but it’s basis in reality is questionable. Either way, the critical position has made an impact regardless of size.
>
> I like Halo 5 multiplayer a lot. That being said, I’m surprised that, to paraphrase, “good campaign gameplay is a widely held position.” I thought it was particularly bad and unfun, with the poop squad mechanics, repetitive Warden fights, and the constant requirement to be climbing around like a monkey. I totally agree about the story being a dumpster fire, excellent description, lol.

It differs from person to person, of course. From what I’ve seen, the gameplay rates okay from most people. I’d agree it’s nothing groundbreaking (Republic Commando had better squad mechanics in 2005 and acre the Warden boss fights), but the mobility features didn’t hurt my experience.

> 2533274816788253;16:
> It’s hard to say really. There will ALWAYS ALWAYS be people around hating whatever version of a game is out for whatever reason. H5 isn’t the best Halo but it isn’t the worse to me. To me Reach still takes the title as the worse, yes armor lock was that bad. You should never get a lame invincibility button and Kat’s driving in the Campaign still gives me an eye twitch. H5 Campaign gets more hate than it deserves IMO. As far as content goes yeah not a lot there at launch but for those of us who got the memo we knew that going in, we knew all the stuff would be “added” later. H5 I still play quit regularly. Reach I actually quit for long periods of time. Just wish the complainers here would move along already. H5 is what it is and there really is no complaint that hasn’t been here 100 times now. If you don’t like a game move on sooner or later. Just gotta hope for something different in H6 and since Halo chances from game to game odds are H6 will be different.

I’d have to argue that Kat’s driving is far less of an egregious sin than 343 fundamentally ruining Cortana as a character for cheap tension, regressing the Chief’s character, and effectively derailing the wider development of the Halo narrative as happens in Halo 5.

> 2533274812652989;19:
> > 2533274816788253;16:
> > It’s hard to say really. There will ALWAYS ALWAYS be people around hating whatever version of a game is out for whatever reason. H5 isn’t the best Halo but it isn’t the worse to me. To me Reach still takes the title as the worse, yes armor lock was that bad. You should never get a lame invincibility button and Kat’s driving in the Campaign still gives me an eye twitch. H5 Campaign gets more hate than it deserves IMO. As far as content goes yeah not a lot there at launch but for those of us who got the memo we knew that going in, we knew all the stuff would be “added” later. H5 I still play quit regularly. Reach I actually quit for long periods of time. Just wish the complainers here would move along already. H5 is what it is and there really is no complaint that hasn’t been here 100 times now. If you don’t like a game move on sooner or later. Just gotta hope for something different in H6 and since Halo chances from game to game odds are H6 will be different.
>
> I’d have to argue that Kat’s driving is far less of an egregious sin than 343 fundamentally ruining Cortana as a character for cheap tension, regressing the Chief’s character, and effectively derailing the wider development of the Halo narrative as happens in Halo 5.

Well to me the question is now what do they do… It’s no secret not many liked the H5 Campaign so do they continue down this road or risk doing like they did with H4 and end all H5 stuff in outside media and try yet another new road for the Halo story. I kinda hope they end it in outside media because if I have to fight the Warden again in H6 I may punt my Xbox like a football.