Are the Guns in Halo 5 Really Balanced?

The time I’ve been playing Halo 5 the guns have been pretty evenly balanced… for the most part. In this post I’m just going to explain my opinions on the weapons in halo 5 and how I think they need to be balanced. First off, the magnum, now no it’s not THAT over powered but it really shouldn’t be beating a DMR in long range or a BR in close range, here is how I think it should be nerfed, make the fire rate only slightly slower and not make is so accurate at long range. The slightly lessened rate of fire will let the BR still win in CQC situations and the slight nerf of the accuracy will alow the DMR to still hold its place as the best ranged UNSC weapon for loadouts. but only slim changes, because you don’t want it to be useless. And the lightrifle should use a small nerf, the lightrifle should be a long range only weapon, like a lesser powered sniper rifle that you can’t snapshot with. Maybe make the lightrifle have a slightly lowered rate of fire, just below the BR rate of fire but keep it a 4 shot weapon unzoomed, so that yes, it will still keep up with it but make you have to try harder when at close range against a BR, and the zoomed version is well balanced, beating just about every other loadout weapon from a range without defeating a sniper rife, well balanced. Also the fuel rod cannon should be a little buffed. The projectiles that it fires move so slowly in Halo 5, I don’t even wanna pick it up anymore. Now yes the splash damage was increased, but the fuel rod cannon was never really designed for that use, it was more used for a fast firing explosive launcher that had little splash damage but increased hit damage, making it used for taking out enemies by shooting them head-on rather than shooting their feet, a different kind of gameplay for a rocket launcher. That’s all the guns I can really think of right now than need little changes, did i miss any? Are there any other guns that you think need changing? let me know.

The Magnum should best everything in close Range, the BR is designed for medium range. Not to mention the fact that the SMG should always be your go-to CQC weapon, simce the BR kills too slowly once you get too close. The DMR should outgun the BR at Long Range, and the Light Rifle falls somewhere in between. The Carbine, if you use it, is best suited to close-medium range.

Put Simply:
Magnum-Close Range
Carbine-Close/Medium Range
BR-Medium Range
Light Rifle-Medium/Long Range
DMR-Long Range.

All of the elite( skilled players normally ranked diamond and above) players will say yes. Lessor skilled players will say no. Will there be exceptions to my statement? absolutely.

> 2533274925727172;1:
> The time I’ve been playing Halo 5 the guns have been pretty evenly balanced… for the most part. In this post I’m just going to explain my opinions on the weapons in halo 5 and how I think they need to be balanced. First off, the magnum, now no it’s not THAT over powered but it really shouldn’t be beating a DMR in long range or a BR in close range, here is how I think it should be nerfed, make the fire rate only slightly slower and not make is so accurate at long range. The slightly lessened rate of fire will let the BR still win in CQC situations and the slight nerf of the accuracy will alow the DMR to still hold its place as the best ranged UNSC weapon for loadouts. but only slim changes, because you don’t want it to be useless. And the lightrifle should use a small nerf, the lightrifle should be a long range only weapon, like a lesser powered sniper rifle that you can’t snapshot with. Maybe make the lightrifle have a slightly lowered rate of fire, just below the BR rate of fire but keep it a 4 shot weapon unzoomed, so that yes, it will still keep up with it but make you have to try harder when at close range against a BR, and the zoomed version is well balanced, beating just about every other loadout weapon from a range without defeating a sniper rife, well balanced. Also the fuel rod cannon should be a little buffed. The projectiles that it fires move so slowly in Halo 5, I don’t even wanna pick it up anymore. Now yes the splash damage was increased, but the fuel rod cannon was never really designed for that use, it was more used for a fast firing explosive launcher that had little splash damage but increased hit damage, making it used for taking out enemies by shooting them head-on rather than shooting their feet, a different kind of gameplay for a rocket launcher. That’s all the guns I can really think of right now than need little changes, did i miss any? Are there any other guns that you think need changing? let me know.

AS far as I remember the fuel rod cannon has always been crap at mid range or further. The projectiles have always been slow. In every game I have ever played I have only used it for close combat for that reason. The only exception being if I was trying to take out a tank or a wraith.

Well if rank is a factor I am oynx in FFA, placed there from the start, and platinum 1 in BTB and the weapon balance IMO is great. Although it’s not that the pistol is over powered really but the effective range should be shortened a bit perhaps. As some one who has shot plenty of pistol rounds pistols are not that accurate or effective at long ranges. The shotgun seems to have a short effective range. Now I am not saying make the pistols range that short but maybe just a touch shorter. I have almost crossed mapped killed with the pistol in FFA sometimes and I just don’t think that should be possible.

the balance as is is really good atm. each gun has its place, and a skilled player can extend those positions.

But the Magnum can’t do these things you say it shouldn’t…

I got to tell you, I never add spices to a restaurant prepared meal because I want to taste it as the Chef intended. I started playing Halo with Reach and then played all the previous and subsequent games. Before Reach I said I would never own a console because they were too limiting compared to PC. Halo changed my perspective. The first time I heard of the term “Nerfing” was in Destiny and that really pissed me off. Usually the designers have a big picture view of gameplay and how all of the pieces fit together. I always tell my sons, there is no such thing as “NOOB” or “OP” weapons, you just need to develop a strategy to counter them. Once you start the NERF snowball in motion you won’t be able to stop it. You may very well wind up making EVERYONE unhappy.

Just my opinion, sorry.

> 2533274950478805;2:
> The Magnum should best everything in close Range, the BR is designed for medium range. Not to mention the fact that the SMG should always be your go-to CQC weapon, simce the BR kills too slowly once you get too close. The DMR should outgun the BR at Long Range, and the Light Rifle falls somewhere in between. The Carbine, if you use it, is best suited to close-medium range.
>
> Put Simply:
> Magnum-Close Range
> Carbine-Close/Medium Range
> BR-Medium Range
> Light Rifle-Medium/Long Range
> DMR-Long Range.

So what your telling me is, the lightrifle should outgun a DMR at long range? that doesn’t really make much sense when the lightrifle was intended to be a longer ranged weapon. And I only said that the BR was close range because I was trying to get my point across, at a close range they should be even at best, not the sidearm of the loadout weapons beating the BR at a close range and the pistol should lose to the BR at a mid range fight. Happy now?

> 2533274825101441;4:
> > 2533274925727172;1:
> > The time I’ve been playing Halo 5 the guns have been pretty evenly balanced… for the most part. In this post I’m just going to explain my opinions on the weapons in halo 5 and how I think they need to be balanced. First off, the magnum, now no it’s not THAT over powered but it really shouldn’t be beating a DMR in long range or a BR in close range, here is how I think it should be nerfed, make the fire rate only slightly slower and not make is so accurate at long range. The slightly lessened rate of fire will let the BR still win in CQC situations and the slight nerf of the accuracy will alow the DMR to still hold its place as the best ranged UNSC weapon for loadouts. but only slim changes, because you don’t want it to be useless. And the lightrifle should use a small nerf, the lightrifle should be a long range only weapon, like a lesser powered sniper rifle that you can’t snapshot with. Maybe make the lightrifle have a slightly lowered rate of fire, just below the BR rate of fire but keep it a 4 shot weapon unzoomed, so that yes, it will still keep up with it but make you have to try harder when at close range against a BR, and the zoomed version is well balanced, beating just about every other loadout weapon from a range without defeating a sniper rife, well balanced. Also the fuel rod cannon should be a little buffed. The projectiles that it fires move so slowly in Halo 5, I don’t even wanna pick it up anymore. Now yes the splash damage was increased, but the fuel rod cannon was never really designed for that use, it was more used for a fast firing explosive launcher that had little splash damage but increased hit damage, making it used for taking out enemies by shooting them head-on rather than shooting their feet, a different kind of gameplay for a rocket launcher. That’s all the guns I can really think of right now than need little changes, did i miss any? Are there any other guns that you think need changing? let me know.
>
>
> AS far as I remember the fuel rod cannon has always been crap at mid range or further. The projectiles have always been slow. In every game I have ever played I have only used it for close combat for that reason. The only exception being if I was trying to take out a tank or a wraith.

And yea, I do agree with you, maybe it’s the map designs that make mid range engagements more common or what but, if that’s the case, it should still be a little buffed to make up for it.

The pistol is the only one that actually plays above par and you can see the effects of it crowding out other weapons like light/dmr/carbine.

This spawns from it being the #1 most reliable weapon in arena with the BR not far behind.

> 2533274846367343;11:
> The pistol is the only one that actually plays above par and you can see the effects of it crowding out other weapons like light/dmr/carbine.
>
> This spawns from it being the #1 most reliable weapon in arena with the BR not far behind.

But the DMR is easier to use? The Light Rifle is super powerful if you can just hit even one scoped shot and is still good unscoped just as good as a BR. The Carbine though if you don’t pick that thing up you really are missing out it kills the fastest out of all the precision weapons it is such a beast of a weapon. The pistol is a great spawn weapon it is a highly capable weapon but by no means is it the best.

> 2533274874353940;8:
> I got to tell you, I never add spices to a restaurant prepared meal because I want to taste it as the Chef intended. I started playing Halo with Reach and then played all the previous and subsequent games. Before Reach I said I would never own a console because they were too limiting compared to PC. Halo changed my perspective. The first time I heard of the term “Nerfing” was in Destiny and that really pissed me off. Usually the designers have a big picture view of gameplay and how all of the pieces fit together. I always tell my sons, there is no such thing as “NOOB” or “OP” weapons, you just need to develop a strategy to counter them. Once you start the NERF snowball in motion you won’t be able to stop it. You may very well wind up making EVERYONE unhappy.
>
> Just my opinion, sorry.

I agree with 100 %. Unfortunately the reality is that is not the case. You can go on any game forum. COD, Battlefield, Gears of War Halo, You name it. There is always one group of another screaming that something should be nerfed or buffed. I will even admit that I have also suggested certain changes. Most people want the game to change to fit their playstyle so they can have or keep an advantage. for example. All elite players (typically highly skilled , ranked diamond and above) go insanely angry when I have suggested changes to make a headshot and body shot be the same damage. to be specifc, as it currently stands, it takes 3 shots to take the Shields down , but only 1 headshot to kill once shields are gone. It takes 2 body shots to kill when shields are gone. This is a significant advantage to the higher skilled players. So they highly insult/belittle me to suggest that instead the BR should be 4 shots in total regardless of whether you it the body or head. The pistol is a 5 shot kill if IF the 5th shot is a headshot. IF the 5 shot is a body shot then a 6th shot is needed. So again the higher skilled players have an advantage. I think it would be better for it to be 5 shots regardless of head or body. It levels the playing fields a little giving the lessor skilled player a better chance. The higher skilled players would still win most of the time because their skills involve jumping and strafing. But you see, Elite players don’t care. They are adamant that lessor skilled players just need to get good or quit playing. But back to your point. I just adapt or move to another game. You will probably see comments insulting me for this comment. the idea of balance if to allow for different playstyles so more people can enjoy the game. But its been my experience . That a lot of the time it doesn’t work out that way.

They are balanced down to every subatomic particle. For once, every weapon has a place in the sandbox and we don’t have a game littered with redundant weapons. Why this was so hard to figure out in 2004 is beyond me.

> 2533274825101441;13:
> > 2533274874353940;8:
> > I got to tell you, I never add spices to a restaurant prepared meal because I want to taste it as the Chef intended. I started playing Halo with Reach and then played all the previous and subsequent games. Before Reach I said I would never own a console because they were too limiting compared to PC. Halo changed my perspective. The first time I heard of the term “Nerfing” was in Destiny and that really pissed me off. Usually the designers have a big picture view of gameplay and how all of the pieces fit together. I always tell my sons, there is no such thing as “NOOB” or “OP” weapons, you just need to develop a strategy to counter them. Once you start the NERF snowball in motion you won’t be able to stop it. You may very well wind up making EVERYONE unhappy.
> >
> > Just my opinion, sorry.
>
>
> I agree with 100 %. Unfortunately the reality is that is not the case. You can go on any game forum. COD, Battlefield, Gears of War Halo, You name it. There is always one group of another screaming that something should be nerfed or buffed. I will even admit that I have also suggested certain changes. Most people want the game to change to fit their playstyle so they can have or keep an advantage. for example. All elite players (typically highly skilled , ranked diamond and above) go insanely angry when I have suggested changes to make a headshot and body shot be the same damage. to be specifc, as it currently stands, it takes 3 shots to take the Shields down , but only 1 headshot to kill once shields are gone. It takes 2 body shots to kill when shields are gone. This is a significant advantage to the higher skilled players. So they highly insult/belittle me to suggest that instead the BR should be 4 shots in total regardless of whether you it the body or head. The pistol is a 5 shot kill if IF the 5th shot is a headshot. IF the 5 shot is a body shot then a 6th shot is needed. So again the higher skilled players have an advantage. I think it would be better for it to be 5 shots regardless of head or body. It levels the playing fields a little giving the lessor skilled player a better chance. The higher skilled players would still win most of the time because their skills involve jumping and strafing. But you see, Elite players don’t care. They are adamant that lessor skilled players just need to get good or quit playing. But back to your point. I just adapt or move to another game. You will probably see comments insulting me for this comment. the idea of balance if to allow for different playstyles so more people can enjoy the game. But its been my experience . That a lot of the time it doesn’t work out that way.

Of course “elite players don’t care.” You’re suggesting removing a core element of skill from a competitive game to make worse players feel better about themselves. That suggestion would drastically change the balance of the game. People complain about making Halo like CoD, but nothing would be closer to that than eliminating the precision focus by making every shot equal. The whole POINT of the precision weapons is to promote accuracy and skill.

Further, you say that most their skills involve strafing and jumping, but the effectiveness of either would be pretty much completely nullified by the change you suggest. The reason those tactics work is that both players are aiming for the head, which is a smaller target. Strafing, crouching, and jumping is used exclusively the make it harder to hit… the head. Survival time is increased in general because people are aiming for the harder target. If body shots were equal, everyone would aim for center mass (CoD, anyone), reversals would be essentially impossible—2v1s even more so—and the only mobility that would be even vaguely useful is the thrust pack.

It’s not just a matter of “git gud.” It’s a matter of the fundamental balance of the Halo series and Halo 5 and the simple fact that what you suggest completely undermines that. It would completely ruin any competitive element of the game. The ranking system exists in large part to make sure that poor players are not playing against extremely skilled players.

I like what they did with promethean weapons tho

Weapon balance is perfect!
Can’t belive ppl still complaining,it’s the first time in Halo history wehre every gun is usefull and works well on its effective range.
What’s the point,you don’t wanna spawn with a good weapon set?

I hate the idea that every weapon should be useful. The AR in Halo 5 has basically replaced the BR in the sense that it is the Utility weapon, only now it is an automatic that takes less skill to use, and gives you less of a chance against power weapons, removing the skill from power weapon use as people can’t fight back as effectively. Sure the Magnum does a good job at trying to replace the BR for range, but my question is why replace the BR with something that it only slightly worse? Why not balance out the BR a little, and make it the starting weapon in place of both the Magnum and the AR. This would allow AR to justify itself in being as strong as it is and be a map pickup, and move the Magnum down to something that should only be used to clean up kills, not be a powerhouse in itself. Every weapon shouldn’t be as effective as the next. There has to be a tier system. The Magnum should be worse than the BR, which in turn is worse than the DMR, which in turn is worse than the Sniper. Making the Magnum, BR, and DMR overlap as much as they do in H5 makes things seem a little too repetitive for my taste.

> 2533274800772611;18:
> I hate the idea that every weapon should be useful.

Wait, what? This is kind of an illogical statement.

> Every weapon shouldn’t be as effective as the next.

It’s not like Pistol = BR = DMR. The weapons are each most useful at their intended range.

> The Magnum should be worse than the BR

And at mid-range, it is. Which is where the BR shines.

> …which in turn is worse than the DMR

And at long-range, it is. Which is the DMR’s niche.

> …which in turn is worse than the Sniper.

And at sniper range, the sniper wins.

I’m not really seeing the issue here. The sandbox is actually useful for once.

No the autos are OP.