Are the Grunts going to be remastered or Reach copies?

I’ve been yearning to see some new high definition Halo: Combat Evolved Grunts ever since the project was first announced. I was disappointed when I first saw them using placeholder Reach grunts. Now we are very close to release, and I still see the same Reach models being used. Are we ever going to see the proper remakes?

Here is what Grunts looked like in Halo: CE

Here is how a Grunt looks in Reach

And here is how that Grunt looks currently in Halo: CEA

I really hope I’m not disappointed.

Some people are going to cry “Placeholder!”, but I personally think any Reach assets still there will probably stay there. I believe Reach assets were the original resources for this project, as the model for the Reach pistol in early Anniversary trailers was much more detailed than it was in Reach, meaning the touched it up. I could be wrong, but I think fan response prompted the changes in the Pistol and Assault Rifle. However, I think the Reach assets still there now will stay. Again, I could be wrong. I’m completely guessing here.

I believe that’s going to be the final appearance for the regular grunts, since it’s the same design armor wise and the way grunts look was completely changed since Halo 3 and the new look is now canon. I’d be awesome if they could do the curlback grunts though.

Could someone point out the difference (except the graphical detail) to me? They look pretty much the same except the Reach model is clearly more detailed and as such is a great asset for a remastered grunt.
What am I missing in the look of the original? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m rather glad that the Covenant in CEA is mostly the same as they were in Reach.

I have no problem with Reach models, they should just change some of those models to curlbacks.

… I don’t see the problem here…

> … I don’t see the problem here…

Neither do I.

I think it would be crazy to think that 343 is going to redesign every single person, place and thing in HALO CEA just because it’s a new game. The only thing that needed redesigning is Master Chief, everyone else is pretty much provided in Reach.

Blasphemy… There have been several slight anatomical changes in all the models since the first game. If the original graphics layer is still there, the new one should be on top of it with the same model, just updated graphics. Not a ported model.

Are you forgetting the black jackals?

> Are you forgetting the black jackals?

I would never forget them. My main concern is the Grunts though. I expect no ports from Reach for any species. That would be lazy. But I am losing hope, and the Grunts are my last bastion of faith.

> > Are you forgetting the black jackals?
>
> I would never forget them. My main concern is the Grunts though. I expect no ports from Reach for any species. That would be lazy. But I am losing hope, and the Grunts are my last bastion of faith.

You want them to make a completely new model even though it’s going to look the same anyways? That would be a waste of time.

> > > Are you forgetting the black jackals?
> >
> > I would never forget them. My main concern is the Grunts though. I expect no ports from Reach for any species. That would be lazy. But I am losing hope, and the Grunts are my last bastion of faith.
>
> You want them to make a completely new model even though it’s going to look the same anyways? That would be a waste of time.

Agreed. They’ve been upgrading the grunts for ever game, the Reach grunt is an upgraded version of the previous grunts, the Reach grunt is a remastered grunt.
True, it might have changed but it’s still an upgraded version of the original grunt…

What next, will people be demanding that all the grass an foliage that wasn’t there is CE should be removed?

The only time Im looking at a grunt/any covenant is thru my scope so I couldn’t care less if they look like they do in reach, they look fine (dead).

> > > > Are you forgetting the black jackals?
> > >
> > > I would never forget them. My main concern is the Grunts though. I expect no ports from Reach for any species. That would be lazy. But I am losing hope, and the Grunts are my last bastion of faith.
> >
> > You want them to make a completely new model even though it’s going to look the same anyways? That would be a waste of time.
>
> Agreed. They’ve been upgrading the grunts for ever game, the Reach grunt is an upgraded version of the previous grunts, the Reach grunt is a remastered grunt.
> True, it might have changed but it’s still an upgraded version of the original grunt…
>
> What next, will people be demanding that all the grass an foliage that wasn’t there is CE should be removed?

That’s a completely irrelevant comparison, the models of all the species should look like they did in CE, but better resolution. They shouldn’t be changed. It’s the same with Master Chief. You don’t want him looking like Halo 3 Master Chief do you? I would rather have the Halo 3 model Grunts than the Reach ones. They’re totally different. The masks, their arms, their legs, their backs, etc. Same goes for Elites.

reach copies. Sadly, no classic blue skinned grunt :frowning:

And I will be outright pissed if CEA will have bird jackals instead of the old lizard jackals. I -Yoinking!- hate the bird jackals.

> > … I don’t see the problem here…
>
> Neither do I.
>
> I think it would be crazy to think that 343 is going to redesign every single person, place and thing in HALO CEA just because it’s a new game. The only thing that needed redesigning is Master Chief, everyone else is pretty much provided in Reach.

People just like to complain, they seem to forget that this didn’t have to happen, they instead complain about it rather then thanking 343i for doing something they’v wanted. It will never be right to them, they will always find something to complain about, always.

> That’s a completely irrelevant comparison, the models of all the species should look like they did in CE, but better resolution. They shouldn’t be changed. It’s the same with Master Chief. You don’t want him looking like Halo 3 Master Chief do you? I would rather have the Halo 3 model Grunts than the Reach ones. They’re totally different. The masks, their arms, their legs, their backs, etc. Same goes for Elites.

Of course I wouldn’t want the Chief looking like the Halo 3 one because that would be giving him a Mark VI armour which he gets first in Halo 2, however, if they had used all the Mark V armour parts that where available in Reach to make Chief in CEA I wouldn’t have minded…

The grunts are still grunts, their look might have changed slightly from CE but is it really that much? I still can’t put my finger on what it is you want them to change for the Reach ones to be right, well except maybe the skin color…
Maybe if someone could point out what’s so different…

> > That’s a completely irrelevant comparison, the models of all the species should look like they did in CE, but better resolution. They shouldn’t be changed. It’s the same with Master Chief. You don’t want him looking like Halo 3 Master Chief do you? I would rather have the Halo 3 model Grunts than the Reach ones. They’re totally different. The masks, their arms, their legs, their backs, etc. Same goes for Elites.
>
> Of course I wouldn’t want the Chief looking like the Halo 3 one because that would be giving him a Mark VI armour which he gets first in Halo 2, however, if they had used all the Mark V armour parts that where available in Reach to make Chief in CEA I wouldn’t have minded…
>
> The grunts are still grunts, their look might have changed slightly from CE but is it really that much? I still can’t put my finger on what it is you want them to change for the Reach ones to be right, well except maybe the skin color…
> Maybe if someone could point out what’s so different…

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the grunts. People just like to complain about EVERYTHING.

> > > That’s a completely irrelevant comparison, the models of all the species should look like they did in CE, but better resolution. They shouldn’t be changed. It’s the same with Master Chief. You don’t want him looking like Halo 3 Master Chief do you? I would rather have the Halo 3 model Grunts than the Reach ones. They’re totally different. The masks, their arms, their legs, their backs, etc. Same goes for Elites.
> >
> > Of course I wouldn’t want the Chief looking like the Halo 3 one because that would be giving him a Mark VI armour which he gets first in Halo 2, however, if they had used all the Mark V armour parts that where available in Reach to make Chief in CEA I wouldn’t have minded…
> >
> > The grunts are still grunts, their look might have changed slightly from CE but is it really that much? I still can’t put my finger on what it is you want them to change for the Reach ones to be right, well except maybe the skin color…
> > Maybe if someone could point out what’s so different…
>
> There is absolutely nothing wrong with the grunts. People just like to complain about EVERYTHING.

I’m complaining because it’s supposed to be a fully remastered Campaign. Not models imported from Reach. That’s just lazy developing.