Are the BR's Design Changes Really Necessary?

Look, as long as the weapon works like its past iterations, there’s no real problem here. It’s just little thing that irritates me but wont effect my gameplay experience.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/065/b/4/halo_3_and_halo_4_battle_rifle_by_aussiepride2011-d4rx3de.png

Its New Scope

• What happened to the classic circular, tube-like scope? And how is it that Master Chief has one of these puppies on the FUD?

The Overall Design

• It looks a little more like a FAMAS than the traditional Battle Rifle. And yes, I know, more polygons means more detail, explaining the array of tiny details on the weapon. It just seems like 343 Industries pulled off a Halo Reach and chopped this weapon in half.

I just think it would have been cool if the original design was kept for Halo 4, much like how the Assault Rifle looks almost exactly like the Halo 3 variant. It will be quite odd to start the game with the same exact weapons that you ended the previous game with, except one has gone through radical changes in its design while the other has not.

Why not change it in Halo 5, where there would be a better explanation for a new model? Or did FUD have prototype weapons on board much like the Pillar of Autumn?

I’m glad that they’re changing the BR to make it look different. The new scope is to make the weapon look more futuristic, and the overall design is different to help players tell the difference between it and the DMR, which both looked very similar before now.

This topic is extremely old. I’ll just say that it is a new model of the BR–the BR 85.

The other ones have been the BR-55.

Don’t double-post your topics.

And yes, the changes are necessary. New engine, new art direction, new designs for everything.

I’m personally glad that it looks more like a FAMAS since that’s what Bungie based the BR off of concept wise to begin with.

> Don’t double-post your topics.
>
> And yes, the changes are necessary. New engine, new art direction, new designs for everything.

My bad, renamed the other topic to indicate the error.

I think the new BR looks better.

They didn’t change the BR, it’s just a different model. Halo 2/3 is BR55 and Halo 4 is BR85.

> This topic is extremely old. I’ll just say that it is a new model of the BR–the BR 85.
>
> The other ones have been the BR-55.

I understand that, but you see that was half a year ago. Just wanted to bring it up once more to see fresh new opinions and such.

looks great to me!

> looks great to me!

It’s just personal preference then, there’s just something about it that simply bothers me.

Did halo waypoint go back in time? Is it march again?

I can dig it.

> Did halo waypoint go back in time? Is it march again?

I could have sworn that I saw Marty McFly on a hoverboard somewhere…

Naw, it’s just 343i trying to make Halo “theirs”.

> Don’t double-post your topics.
>
> And yes, the changes are necessary. New engine, new art direction, new designs for everything.

I wouldn’t say that the changes are entirely necessary.

They’re changing assault rifle details too. I think design updates are great things.

I only have two issues with the BR in Halo 4, one is that god awful orange/yellow stripe that has been popping up many weapons in Reach and H4 lately. Seriously anything else other than those colors, I’d even like salmon better. The main reason I want to pre-order from best-buy is simply so I can cover up that awful stripe as much as possible. Had the same issue with the Reach AR, the unlock-able BR/DMR skins, the spartans standing with chief in several screenshots.

My second issue that I am not as bothered by is the look of the flash suppressor. I liked the more open designs of past BRs and the Reach DMR. But I will live.

Overall I really do like the new design, I actually really like the design of most weapons in Halo 4.

I agree, and I wish they would’ve kept the BR round and made the DMR square, but now I understand their reasoning. Since Reach came last, more people are going to identify that round shape with the DMR. And since the DMR is returning, it makes since to keep it like it was. The BR has been gone for awhile and it needs to have a new look to distinguish it by.

What is the point in caring about aesthetics? They make no difference what-so-ever.

The real design changes are the mechanics of the weapon the 343 have completely destroyed the point of the BR by making it a worthless 5 shot kill weapon.

4 shot kill = <mark>BALANCED</mark>, unique and useful.

5 shot kill = <mark>UNBALANCED</mark>, re skinned DMR and useless.