Are melees too fast?

Hey Waypoint,

I’m sure most of us are excited for the game, so I don’t mean to rain on the parade with this thread (nor do I ever).

However, I noticed something a while ago that I’d like to bring to your attention, and it would be the Melee Speed. Specifically, this is the time after your first melee before you are able to melee again. If you are unfamiliar, Halo 3 had longer melee speed compared to Halo Reach and Halo 2 (with the latter mainly being attributed to button combos). In the Reach Beta, the melee’s were really fast and they ended up being slowed down for the retail.

Have a gander at this clip from Halo 4. Granted this is from PAX, but let’s assume it is the same.

Does that look pretty fast?

What are your thoughts? Do you think that Halo 4’s melee speed should be longer? Or do you think it’s fine?

Now I can be a super saiyen!

OT: interesting points, the kill times for weapons seem to be upped a bit as well so maybe it will balance out?

I honestly think it looks the same. Maybe my eyes aren’t as quick as yours but to me it looks almost identical. :I

I think it’s fine - if you can get close to an opponent without being damaged then to keep the game flowing it’s important for those encounters to be over quickly.

As long as the sprint slow down works as intended this shouldn’t be an issue.

They do look the same, and that’s what worries me. Most players didn’t like the melee speed in the Reach beta.

Well it looks quicker than the Reach Beta but I didn’t get out my stopwatch. This worries me also. It mainly worries me because I don’t like double beat down kills. Especially as everyone has sprint. However another reason I don’t like it is that while each weapon has an ideal range (allegedly), this aspect will allow longer range weapons (think DMR or Sniper) stronger at close range.

I honestly think it needs to be longer, it seemed very fast when he attacked the other spartan with melee. It needs to be a lot like halo 3 but also A 3 legged goat your link for halo 3 video is taking me back to this post rather than a youtube video.

> I honestly think it needs to be longer, it seemed very fast when he attacked the other spartan with melee. It needs to be a lot like halo 3 but also A 3 legged goat your link for halo 3 video is taking me back to this post rather than a youtube video.

I was originally going to have one but I couldn’t find it and I forgot to remove that code from the post.

Too slow. Cancelling my preorder. Thanks for showing me this.

Definitely looks fast, but since kill times are fast, and melee bleedthrough is back, I’m not too upset about it.

I haven’t seen many melees in Halo 4, but if it’s like Halo 2, 3, or Reach in regards to the locking lunge, I’ll be upset.
I preferred the way it was in CE. Make the reach a little longer, but take away the auto-aim, super lunge please!
It doesn’t make or break the game for me… but still.

It does look too fast.

Maybe they’ll patch it after a few months.

> Too slow. Cancelling my preorder. Thanks for showing me this.

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic.

I think it actually melee’s faster because he melees with the magnum. If I remember correctly, 343 wanted the pistol/PP/boltshot to fit a true secondary role, and that included faster draw-time, reload time and melee speed. The smaller weapons now melee faster than the rifles I believe.

> > Too slow. Cancelling my preorder. Thanks for showing me this.
>
> I can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic.

Sarcastic, but I’m sure there’s at least one person who would be serious about that.

> I think it actually melee’s faster because he melees with the magnum. If I remember correctly, 343 wanted the pistol/PP/boltshot to fit a true secondary role, and that included faster draw-time, reload time and melee speed. The smaller weapons now melee faster than the rifles I believe.

In the H4 video I linked, he melees with the BR…

To me, it looks quicker than in the past. Which is kind of worrying because I absolutely hate it when people run up and melee instantly

> I honestly think it needs to be longer, it seemed very fast when he attacked the other spartan with melee. It needs to be a lot like halo 3 but also A 3 legged goat your link for halo 3 video is taking me back to this post rather than a youtube video.

You should change your avatar to a H3 pic if you honestly believe that. H1+H2 melee was faster and it made combat run more smoothly. You could double-melee as well but only Halo pro’s could do that =)

I played at Eurogamer, on a newer build than the PAX build, and I didn’t find it a problem at all.

> > I think it actually melee’s faster because he melees with the magnum. If I remember correctly, 343 wanted the pistol/PP/boltshot to fit a true secondary role, and that included faster draw-time, reload time and melee speed. The smaller weapons now melee faster than the rifles I believe.
>
> In the H4 video I linked, he melees with the BR…

I saw no BR melee. I saw a pistol melee about 20-30 seconds after the time you linked.