Are champs just not what they used to be ?

So I play at a diamond/onyx level, depending on the game type I play, and every once in a blue moon in the past I’d match up with a couple champ ranked players, and the difference in skill between us was very prevelant.

However, yesterday me and a couple dudes matched up with champions almost every other game, but they were not nearly as good as they were in the past. Maybe I’ve just gotten better but I really feel like my skill hasn’t spiked all that much.

I normally dont play at the beginning of each season, so maybe that’s what’s going on. So maybe someone can fill me in. Is there just some way that not-so-champ players work the system early in the season to get champ after there quals? Not to sound like I’m bragging, but a person who placed in at Plat 4 should never have the best KD ratio in a game with 6 champs.

There are fewer players now and the Champion ranking is only the top 200 Onyx players, so it makes sense that the competition for these spots is less fierce than it once was.

I played a champ and some onyx and high diamonds in FFA placement matches and got massacred.

I think FFA is very low population at this point though, so it’s probably possible to get those types of matches even after rank is determined.

If the usual champions aren’t playing anymore, then that means the lesser skilled people would move into their spots.

You have to also remember that just because they are Champs doesn’t mean you can’t be better than them. Perhaps the people they beat to get there they just had a play style advantage over. In this same scenario, you might be encountering people you just have an advantage over. The way people play, the way they think isn’t the same as the next person.

In the event this ISN’T the case; Overwatch has this problem where people would get up to Diamond/Master/Grand Master and then sell the account for profit to people who are normally stuck in Bronze-Plat. So, maybe?

I don’t know why, but every time I’m lucky enough to match any Champion level player (gold player here) my hit detection goes out the window, I can even be shooting them from behind and nothing, they turn around and “BAM” I’m dead in the blink of an eye… can’t explain it, it just happens every time so to me I’ll never notice the real skill level of players at this level as I’m always checking out the floor textures…

ZaedynFel answered your question in the MM Feedback thread when responding to a different question.

> 2533274839818445;298:
> Also, keep in mind the season just rolled, so Champs aren’t really Champs yet. Not till around 1700. These are mostly the first low Onyx players into Onyx.

> 2535461339840779;6:
> I don’t know why, but every time I’m lucky enough to match any Champion level player (gold player here) my hit detection goes out the window, I can even be shooting them from behind and nothing, they turn around and “BAM” I’m dead in the blink of an eye… can’t explain it, it just happens every time so to me I’ll never notice the real skill level of players at this level as I’m always checking out the floor textures…

Lol’d at this post. Gold vs Champion is quite a skill gap. Champ players are definitely on another level. Their inputs are so quick and they use a lot of animation cancelling. I’m trying to break into Diamond and I get massacred in every 1 on 1.

> 2533274947298273;8:
> > 2535461339840779;6:
> > I don’t know why, but every time I’m lucky enough to match any Champion level player (gold player here) my hit detection goes out the window, I can even be shooting them from behind and nothing, they turn around and “BAM” I’m dead in the blink of an eye… can’t explain it, it just happens every time so to me I’ll never notice the real skill level of players at this level as I’m always checking out the floor textures…
>
> Lol’d at this post. Gold vs Champion is quite a skill gap. Champ players are definitely on another level. Their inputs are so quick and they use a lot of animation cancelling. I’m trying to break into Diamond and I get massacred in every 1 on 1.

It’s a huge skill gap! I’d like to break back into Platinum but it’s hard solo queuing most of the time and I generally get pumped in a 1 v 1also. Ok dumb question here but what is animation cancelling?

> 2535461339840779;9:
> Ok dumb question here but what is animation cancelling?

An in-game mechanic (often linked to a button) that (often quickly) follows a previous in-game mechanic with the explicit purpose of cancelling the animation that was caused by the previous mechanic. This is often referred to as a button combo, but there are varying degrees of mechanic combos that can lead to an animation cancel.

One of the more common animation cancels people do deals with reloading a weapon. Often times once a magazine is visually put into the weapon the ammo is replenished but the animation will still have some sort of drawn out finish that prevents immediate use of the weapon, so people will use an animation cancel to make quicker use of the weapon by reducing the amount of frames in which the weapon can’t be used after its been successfully reloaded.

> 2775209234672000;10:
> > 2535461339840779;9:
> > Ok dumb question here but what is animation cancelling?
>
> An in-game mechanic (often linked to a button) that quickly follows a previous in-game mechanic with the explicit purpose of cancelling the animation that was caused by the previous mechanic. This is often referred to as a button combo, but there are varying degrees of mechanic combos that can lead to an animation cancel.
>
> One of the more common animation cancels people do deals with reloading a weapon. Often times once a magazine is visually put into the weapon the ammo is replenished but the animation will still have some sort of drawn out finish that prevents immediate use of the weapon, so people will use an animation cancel to make quicker use of the weapon by reducing the amount of frames in which the weapon can’t be used after its been successfully reloaded.

Thank you for the info, sounds complicated and why I imagine it’s used mainly amongst higher skilled players?

> 2535461339840779;11:
> Thank you for the info

No problem.

> sounds complicated

Some are easier than others, but any type of button combo just requires some practice. Some more than others. And some may require a control scheme change to pull of reliably.

I don’t really practice things of this type these days because I have limited time available in my daily life. And in my finite gaming time I prefer to just hop online and focus on winning as effeciently as I can without incorporating “practice” training events within the match-made games I get. Thankfully, the animation time shaving combos are not as influential on this game’s skill-gap. Instead, the button combos relating to spring jumps, boost jumps, and mason clambers are where a ton of the skill-gap exists here.

I know I should pick a control scheme that’s better for the advanced tactics and actually practice all the types of advantages a player can gain, but I accept my limitations.

> and why I imagine it’s used mainly amongst higher skilled players?

I’ve seen some average to below average players pulling off advanced tactics that require button combos. It affords them some noticeable advantages against their skill level, but they still lack situational awareness, spawn knowledge, and aim skill which holds their skill progress in check.

They also tend to prefer a lone wolf style of play which can often times harm them when facing a coordinated team effort. Heck plenty of these things and more are what hold me back too.

What’s a champ? Sorry for the noob question.

> 2775209234672000;12:
> > 2535461339840779;11:
> > Thank you for the info
>
> No problem.
>
>
> > sounds complicated
>
> Some are easier than others, but any type of button combo just requires some practice. Some more than others. And some may require a control scheme change to pull of reliably.
>
> I don’t really practice things of this type these days because I have limited time available in my daily life. And in my finite gaming time I prefer to just hop online and focus on winning as effeciently as I can without incorporating “practice” training events within the match-made games I get. Thankfully, the animation time shaving combos are not as influential on this game’s skill-gap. Instead, the button combos relating to spring jumps, boost jumps, and mason clambers are where a ton of the skill-gap exists here.
>
> I know I should pick a control scheme that’s better for the advanced tactics and actually practice all the types of advantages a player can gain, but I accept my limitations.
>
>
> > and why I imagine it’s used mainly amongst higher skilled players?
>
> I’ve seen some average to below average players pulling off advanced tactics that require button combos. It affords them some noticeable advantages against their skill level, but they still lack situational awareness, spawn knowledge, and aim skill which holds their skill progress in check.
>
> They also tend to prefer a lone wolf style of play which can often times harm them when facing a coordinated team effort. Heck plenty of these things and more are what hold me back too.

Thanks mate appreciate the detailed explanation. I think I’ll be happy being an uncomplicated gold level player just doing the best I can for fun and enjoy looking at floor textures :rofl:

> 2533274808114811;13:
> What’s a champ? Sorry for the noob question.

They’re talking about the Champion rank.

Yea compared to how it use to be getting to champ is a joke honestly. The top 200 of the playlist are champs and it seems like no one is grinding anymore. Champ was like 1500-1580 at one point. It’ll probably get better over time but it’s partially imo just due to people finally getting burnt out

Alot of competitive players have switched to MCC! As for those Champs you say aren’t as good as they were, it’s because the Champion threshild is so low right now. Early season champions are mostly lower Onyx players until the true Champions play enough to take their rightful spots!

Even me, a normally top 50-30 Champion was able to hit Champ 7 on day 5 due to the low amount if true champions actually searching at my MMR.

At the beginning of the new season it’s possible to get champ as soon as you pass D6.

> 2535441777257585;1:
> Not to sound like I’m bragging, but a person who placed in at Plat 4 should never have the best KD ratio in a game with 6 champs.

That’s because better players have moved on from playing H5