are Armor Abilities even canon?

GHOST OF ONYX SPOILER

Ive never seen them used in cut scenes, aside from Halo: Ghost of Onyx when they used thruster packs going through a ship wreck (when they “lost” Kurt). which ones are?

All of them are. Every weapon, vehicle, armor ability, or any other piece of equipment or tech you can find in the game is canon. The way it functions in gameplay might not necessarily be canon, like jetpack for instance only having a limited flight length and you having to land on the ground to recharge it. Much like Spartans only being able to carry two weapons in the game is only a gameplay mechanic. Anyways, every single armor ability is canon.

Why haven’t they been used in cut scenes and the books more often? is it because gameplay doesn’t equal cannon, and they cant be used that many times?

Please don’t spoil anything for me for anything beyond Onyx, im reading glasslands right now! :slight_smile:

Ok lets put it in a way, unless mentioned in dialogue and shown in cutscense, their effects are for game-play.

Can you imagine having Infinite Camo or Palmer’s one shot pistol the things in cutscenes and gameplay have to be balanced or else…well you see how these forums are already.

Sprint and Evade are physical movements turned into armor abilities for the sake of gameplay. Everything else is canon.

> Sprint and Evade are physical movements turned into armor abilities for the sake of gameplay. Everything else is canon.

Even sprint and evade are canon. They are armor hacks that override set restrictions. They may not function in the same manner in the fiction than they do in-game, though. Let’s face it, a Spartan doesn’t need the “Sprint” AA to run, but in the fiction, it would allow the Spartan to run significantly faster than they normally could.

> Why haven’t they been used in cut scenes and the books more often? is it because gameplay doesn’t equal cannon, and they cant be used that many times?
>
> Please don’t spoil anything for me for anything beyond Onyx, im reading glasslands right now! :slight_smile:

Because, in real-life, they weren’t conceived until the production of Halo Reach, hence, no author had thought to add them. However, the Essential Visual Guide references them as in-universe objects/tools. Maybe they’ll show up in later fiction.

Also, according to Bungie, a lot of the AAs seen in Halo Reach were, in-universe, in development on Reach. As such, they were new at that time, and most were likely destroyed when the planet was glassed. Halo 4 takes place in 2557/58, plenty of time to develop AAs again.

Now that I think of it, there are plenty of armor abilities being used in the fiction. Elites use Active Camo quite a lot. John used Armor Lock when he fell through Earth’s atmosphere. Jackals’ shields were probably reverse-engineered from the Hardlight Shield, given that a lot of Covie tech is derived from Forerunner tech. Spartans used the Thruster Pack in Ghosts of Onyx, as the OP pointed out. Even the ODSTs use VISR, which is basically the UNSC version of Promethean Vision.

And thanks Toa for clearing that up, I assumed those two abilities were nothing more than the Spartan performing the movement.

> Now that I think of it, there are plenty of armor abilities being used in the fiction. Elites use Active Camo quite a lot. John used Armor Lock when he fell through Earth’s atmosphere. Jackals’ shields were probably reverse-engineered from the Hardlight Shield, given that a lot of Covie tech is derived from Forerunner tech. Spartans used the Thruster Pack in Ghosts of Onyx, as the OP pointed out. Even the ODSTs use VISR, which is basically the UNSC version of Promethean Vision.
>
> And thanks Toa for clearing that up, I assumed those two abilities were nothing more than the Spartan performing the movement.

Chief did not use Armor Lock. Spartans locking their armor and the equipment used for Armor Lock are something entirely different. They server entirely different purposes. Armor Lock is basically an overloading or super-charging of the shield, that’s why there’s that whole blue glow and EMP field around an Armor Locker. The only reason the user is rendered immobile and its even called Armor Lock is because the power to the rest of the armor is being diverted to the shields, thus, in a sense locking the armor for the duration of the effect.

Locking their armor, like what Chief did in Halo 3’s opening and Jorge and Noble Six did in the Falcon crash on Tip of the Spear or Six did when reentering Reach’s atmosphere after destroying the LNoS is entirely different both in function and affects. What happens with locking the armor is that the Gel layer is altered to render the limbs immobile in addition to the joints in the armor locking down. The entire purpose of this is to minimize the risk of broken bones or death to the Mjolnir wearer in specific situations, like falling from a great height or a crash. It’s only useful in very specific situations.

I believe the thruster packs mentioned in GoO are something entirely different from the AA. They’re like what modern day astronauts wear on their backs when they’re out in space. http://www.halopedia.org/Thruster_pack <- That is the thruster pack that appears in GoO and in TFoR. Whereas this -> http://www.halopedia.org/M805X_Forward_Acceleration_System/Fulcrum_Mitigating is the Thruster Pack Armor Ability in Halo 4. They’re entirely different things.

> Why haven’t they been used in cut scenes and the books more often? is it because gameplay doesn’t equal cannon, and they cant be used that many times?
>
> Please don’t spoil anything for me for anything beyond Onyx, im reading glasslands right now! :slight_smile:

The same reason that we don’t have BRs or any of the weapons equipment introduced in the later games in CE. In real life the writers didn’t come up with them until later after other games or books had been released. And with Reach most of the AAs were just leaving the prototype stage and seeing limited field testing on Reach, after Reach feel, all of the experimental technology on the planet was lost. I’m sure there were other prototypes or the designs for the technology elsewhere or offworld, but with the destruction of Reach the production of things like Armor Abilities was dramatically set back and had to wait until after the Human-Covenant war was over before they’d be seeing major or large scale production and use again. Armor Abilities are something have infinite uses, though obviously with something like the Jetpack it would likely need to be refueled every now and then, but it would have enough fuel or energy to last out the length of a battle.

If Bungie, 343 or an approved partner/author/etc included it in a game/video/book then it is canon.

I’m reminded of something Frankie said a few months ago… to paraphrase: Halo is a big universe and there is a lot of room for all these things to live side by side.

After all, you can’t know it all from the start, and it’s our job as fans to suspend belief a little bit to accomodate new things which weren’t possible or not yet imagined ten years ago.

It takes some getting used to at times, but I’m all for it. My only hope is that 343 doesn’t keep things discontinued for long. I miss my grenade and plasma launchers :smiley:

Got it. Thanks so much guys!

19 hours ago
Thank
PM
Report?

erickyboo
Spartan - Gold
JSA, you are wrong on a few things. Here:

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/inteldetail/8a37becb-6387-415e-a65c-66b16d7dbb1d/regeneration-field?category=armor

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/inteldetail/f67c14bc-cda3-40e0-95b6-f790224bf799/thruster-pack?category=armor

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/inteldetail/ddd38ad0-c23b-4d6c-be78-601c9f234445/jet-pack?category=armor

They are canon. Click the links to learn more.

> GHOST OF ONYX SPOILER
> —
>
> <mark>Ive never seen them used in cut scenes</mark>, aside from Halo: Ghost of Onyx when they used thruster packs going through a ship wreck (when they “lost” Kurt). which ones are?

Chief used armour lock in the beginning of Halo 3

> > GHOST OF ONYX SPOILER
> > —
> >
> > <mark>Ive never seen them used in cut scenes</mark>, aside from Halo: Ghost of Onyx when they used thruster packs going through a ship wreck (when they “lost” Kurt). which ones are?
>
> Chief used armour lock in the beginning of Halo 3

The armor lock-up system is different from the Armor Lock AA.

> > > GHOST OF ONYX SPOILER
> > > —
> > >
> > > <mark>Ive never seen them used in cut scenes</mark>, aside from Halo: Ghost of Onyx when they used thruster packs going through a ship wreck (when they “lost” Kurt). which ones are?
> >
> > Chief used armour lock in the beginning of Halo 3
>
> The armor lock-up system is different from the Armor Lock AA.

I guess it’s as similar as we will get

There is a difference between armour locking and locking armour.

> Jackals’ shields were probably reverse-engineered from the Hardlight Shield, given that a lot of Covie tech is derived from Forerunner tech.

Possible, but I don’t think so. Hardlight shields is just that - hard light. Jackal’s point defense gauntlets (and Energy Swords, for that matter,) are projected plasma held in shape by a magnetic field.

Can’t remember where I read that, but it’s stuck with me as Halo knowledge.