Arbiter's model

Im sure some people haven’t payed close enough attention to this but either way I want to get this out there. The arbiter in halo 5 is the race of sangheili 343 made. Why, why in the hell is he this race when he isn’t. Now I don’t know if this is true but I hear it’s because 343 didn’t have time to make him the right race. So let’s entertain that logic. They didn’t have time to port a model to another game (since they had the halo 2a model with that armor already made) but they had time to make a whole new model from scratch. Again don’t know if this is true, but going off of them not having time, that makes no -Yoinking!- sense. And even if that isn’t true, they still why didn’t they just port the model. It makes no sense, unless is just 343 wanting to 343ify THIER game more. Either way, it’s BS. Let me know if that’s true and also what you think about that, cause to me the whole situation is stupid, especially since it just made more work for them.

Because they bought it

I’m pretty sure they wanted to 343ify just about everything Bungie touched, and the Arbiter was a Bungie born creation, thus 343ify.

> 2533274881560701;3:
> I’m pretty sure they wanted to 343ify just about everything Bungie touched, and the Arbiter was a Bungie born creation, thus 343ify.

343 guilty spark

I honestly don’t know, but notice how we don’t see his full face.

I believe 343 stated they didn’t think it would be necessary to port the H2A Sangheili model over just for one character, not because they wanted to “343ify” Bungie’s stuff.

> 2533274847563380;5:
> I honestly don’t know, but notice how we don’t see his full face.

If you look closely you can tell, especially when he first talks to Locke in the cutscene and gives him crap for being ONI and trying to kill him, he is a 343 elite. Plus his skin color is gray in the other halo’s, halo 5 his skin is brown.

> 2535437652903765;6:
> I believe 343 stated they didn’t think it would be necessary to port the H2A Sangheili model over just for one character, not because they wanted to “343ify” Bungie’s stuff.

That still makes no sense then considering they made him into one of their elites instead of the one he is. But screw the lore right (this isn’t directed at you by the way).

> 2533274847253593;7:
> > 2533274847563380;5:
> > I honestly don’t know, but notice how we don’t see his full face.
>
>
> If you look closely you can tell, especially when he first talks to Locke in the cutscene and gives him crap for being ONI and trying to kill him, he is a 343 elite. Plus his skin color is gray in the other halo’s, halo 5 his skin is brown.

What exactly is the difference in Sanghelli beyond skin color? I mean, yeah, I can see a general body build difference between the different Halo games, but I’d appreciate if someone describe the specific differences.

I still enjoy Halo CE, H2, and H3 Elites the best, both in terms of their physique and their armor. They should look sleek yet powerful, not chunky and bulbous (armor).

They had the CG version of the H2A model with that armor. The in game version was wearing the armor of the Arbiter, which Thel no longer wears.

They’ve talked about this, quite a bit. GrimBrother One, who does the Canon Fodder articles here on waypoint has discussed the style changes between Bungie & 343. And, basically, what it boils down to is, where there can be a lore explanation, great. Fudge one and make something up. But where there can’t, it’s a matter of new artists, new devs, a new art direction. He said “sometimes you just have to accept stylistic changes. It won’t always be lore-driven/justified (even if we’d love that in a perfect world lol).”

I think what a lot of fans would prefer would be if they never changed anything to begin with. Personally, I’m split 50/50 on my preferences for the art styles between Bungie & 343. Somethings I think looked a lot better in the old games, and others I think 343 pull off a lot better. So … I don’t know. Elites I definitely prefer the classic iterations.

> 2533274847253593;7:
> > 2533274847563380;5:
> > halo 5 his skin is brown.

Brother not allowed to have a tan?

> 2533274847253593;7:
> > 2533274847563380;5:
> > I honestly don’t know, but notice how we don’t see his full face.
>
>
> If you look closely you can tell, especially when he first talks to Locke in the cutscene and gives him crap for being ONI and trying to kill him, he is a 343 elite. Plus his skin color is gray in the other halo’s, halo 5 his skin is brown.

Well, I shouldn’t have said if you look closely… lol

If you squint real hard, you can barely tell.

Edit: oh wait, you said if you look closely… well, I’m going to lie down for a few days, I’ll see you guys in halo 6! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He’s brown in halo 2 and halo 3.

The H2A models are a greater change than 343 has ever done.

I still find the new Elites too clunky looking. I mean, as an example, take a look at my avatar here, which is Halo 2 Arbiter. He looks pretty sleek, not chunky (not saying that heavier/meatier Elites can’t exist, though!).

EDIT: I ranked up so my Arbiter avatar is different, but it is still the Bungie Arbiter, and still looks a lot sleeker than the H2A/343i Elite heads.

> 2533274964189700;13:
> He’s brown in halo 2 and halo 3.
>
> The H2A models are a greater change than 343 has ever done.

My only issue with the H2A Elites is the bulbousness of their foreheads. In the original games, the helmets arched backwards, and gave their heads a sleek look. In H2A, the helmet fronts are larger and stick up more, making their foreheads look large. Great graphics, yes, but that shouldn’t be an excuse to distort the shape of their heads and armor.

> 2533274883669557;10:
> They had the CG version of the H2A model with that armor. The in game version was wearing the armor of the Arbiter, which Thel no longer wears.
>
> They’ve talked about this, quite a bit. GrimBrother One, who does the Canon Fodder articles here on waypoint has discussed the style changes between Bungie & 343. And, basically, what it boils down to is, where there can be a lore explanation, great. Fudge one and make something up. But where there can’t, it’s a matter of new artists, new devs, a new art direction. He said “sometimes you just have to accept stylistic changes. It won’t always be lore-driven/justified (even if we’d love that in a perfect world lol).”
>
> I think what a lot of fans would prefer would be if they never changed anything to begin with. Personally, I’m split 50/50 on my preferences for the art styles between Bungie & 343. Somethings I think looked a lot better in the old games, and others I think 343 pull off a lot better. So … I don’t know. Elites I definitely prefer the classic iterations.

I realize that 343 made a second race of sangheili, which I am fine with. But there are pretty big differences. The bungie elites and 343 elites faces, for one, are way different. The mandibles on the 343 ones damn near connect to the top of their head, where the bungie ones are just at the bottom. My point tho is that it’s stupid how they made a whole new model for the arbiter and changed his race to the 343 elites. And by the halo 2a model I ment the one in the very first and very last cutscene when he was with Osiris. He had the same armor as in halo 5 but was the correct race. There was no reason in hell for them to make a whole new model other than to 343ify him.

Edit: Also art style/new graphics has nothing to -Yoinking!- do with it. It’s them wanting to 343ify every damn thing about the game. Also I thought about this before too, how they did Chiefs armor change. They could have had him get the new armor once he grouped with infinity after it crashed. But no they up and changed it and gave an excuse that makes little to no sense.

> 2533274847253593;16:
> > 2533274883669557;10:
> > They had the CG version of the H2A model with that armor. The in game version was wearing the armor of the Arbiter, which Thel no longer wears.
> >
> > They’ve talked about this, quite a bit. GrimBrother One, who does the Canon Fodder articles here on waypoint has discussed the style changes between Bungie & 343. And, basically, what it boils down to is, where there can be a lore explanation, great. Fudge one and make something up. But where there can’t, it’s a matter of new artists, new devs, a new art direction. He said “sometimes you just have to accept stylistic changes. It won’t always be lore-driven/justified (even if we’d love that in a perfect world lol).”
> >
> > I think what a lot of fans would prefer would be if they never changed anything to begin with. Personally, I’m split 50/50 on my preferences for the art styles between Bungie & 343. Somethings I think looked a lot better in the old games, and others I think 343 pull off a lot better. So … I don’t know. Elites I definitely prefer the classic iterations.
>
>
> I realize that 343 made a second race of sangheili, which I am fine with. But there are pretty big differences. The bungie elites and 343 elites faces, for one, are way different. The mandibles on the 343 ones damn near connect to the top of their head, where the bungie ones are just at the bottom. My point tho is that it’s stupid how they made a whole new model for the arbiter and changed his race to the 343 elites. And by the halo 2a model I ment the one in the very first and very last cutscene when he was with Osiris. He had the same armor as in halo 5 but was the correct race. There was no reason in hell for them to make a whole new model other than to 343ify him.
>
> Edit: Also art style/new graphics has nothing to -Yoinking!- do with it. It’s them wanting to 343ify every damn thing about the game. Also I thought about this before too, how they did Chiefs armor change. They could have had him get the new armor once he grouped with infinity after it crashed. But no they up and changed it and gave an excuse that makes little to no sense.

It’s two things:

1. They want their own art style, like you said “343ify every damn thing”. Why? I don’t know. Why not? In my opinion, some of it looks worse, some of it’s an improvement.

2. It’s cheaper and easier to use one model for the entire game. One model of Elite in Halo 5. One model for Chief in Halo 4. It would make more sense if he had his Halo 3 armor in the beginning and changed later, but that’s two models. Also, for story purposes, the only time there would have been a chance for that to happen would have been after the events of Halo 4 because … well, that’s when he did change it up. His armor in Halo 5 is his Halo 4 armor all patched up with a new gold visor and some work done to it (it got jacked up by the Didact in the comics).

Anyway, extra character models are more work, more time, more money. They also SHOULD have had Halo 3 BR, AR, Magnums, etc., on the Dawn, not to mention the Dawn itself. It’s like at the beginning of Halo 2, it would be cool to see Chief in his Mark V maybe heading into the armory, but not necessary … they just explained “your new suit’s a Mark VI, just came in …”, which is a lot better than how they handled it Halo 4 where he just looks at his forearms and says “you’ve been busy”.

So yeah, there are two “races” of Elites. But seeing them in the same place in the same game is unlikely. We may see them spread out, like 343’s Elites in Halo 5 and the classic Elites in Halo Wars 2. The dumb thing is, that means a character like Arby or R’tas may change appearance for the sake of time & money … or as those who are less concerned with practical explanations and more concerned with their own wants will probably call it: “laziness”.

Personally, I just try not to think about it too much. It’ll just annoy you. If I play through Halo 2 and immediately hop into Halo 3, the changes in Miranda and Truth’s voice (especially Truth, oh god, he’s like a completely different character) can ruin the experience if I dwell on it. Then again, those were things that couldn’t be helped (actor’s scheduling), whereas the newer changes are just there for artistic purposes. Which I understand, they inherited a franchise that was already going through an identity crisis with Reach, which had already drastically changed much of the visuals (especially with the Covenant), gameplay, and so forth. It was the beginning of a new saga picking up where the trilogy ended, they probably assumed it was a good time for a face lift. A fresh start. So, they may not have executed it very well, but I get why they did it.

> 2533274847253593;16:
> > 2533274883669557;10:
> > They had the CG version of the H2A model with that armor. The in game version was wearing the armor of the Arbiter, which Thel no longer wears.
> >
> > They’ve talked about this, quite a bit. GrimBrother One, who does the Canon Fodder articles here on waypoint has discussed the style changes between Bungie & 343. And, basically, what it boils down to is, where there can be a lore explanation, great. Fudge one and make something up. But where there can’t, it’s a matter of new artists, new devs, a new art direction. He said “sometimes you just have to accept stylistic changes. It won’t always be lore-driven/justified (even if we’d love that in a perfect world lol).”
> >
> > I think what a lot of fans would prefer would be if they never changed anything to begin with. Personally, I’m split 50/50 on my preferences for the art styles between Bungie & 343. Somethings I think looked a lot better in the old games, and others I think 343 pull off a lot better. So … I don’t know. Elites I definitely prefer the classic iterations.
>
>
> I realize that 343 made a second race of sangheili, which I am fine with. But there are pretty big differences. The bungie elites and 343 elites faces, for one, are way different. The mandibles on the 343 ones damn near connect to the top of their head, where the bungie ones are just at the bottom. My point tho is that it’s stupid how they made a whole new model for the arbiter and changed his race to the 343 elites. And by the halo 2a model I ment the one in the very first and very last cutscene when he was with Osiris. He had the same armor as in halo 5 but was the correct race. There was no reason in hell for them to make a whole new model other than to 343ify him.
>
> Edit: Also art style/new graphics has nothing to -Yoinking!- do with it. It’s them wanting to 343ify every damn thing about the game. Also I thought about this before too, how they did Chiefs armor change. They could have had him get the new armor once he grouped with infinity after it crashed. But no they up and changed it and gave an excuse that makes little to no sense.

The Halo universe is a story and each game/film/comic is an interpretation of that story, so everything won’t visually match exactly. Linda looks and sounds a lot different in the anime than in Halo 5. Lord Hood, Miranda Keys, and Jacob Keys also drastically change in appearance throughout the games.

> 2533274968393436;2:
> Because they bought it

No. Microsoft created 343 so Halo could still be made. Microsoft bought it when they bought Bungie.

I think they’re in the business of 343ify everything. I wasnt a fan of the Phantoms having green lights, there are a few things 343 embraced that is pure Halo, like the Honeycomb designs on the visors, that was brilliant.