AR Start Would Solve Everything

TL;DR AR starts force closer encounters so people can’t just run away and it might make the people who hate sprint happier (not that I hate sprint).

I know what you’re thinking: this is the millionth time an AR start vs. BR start thread has been posted, but just hear me out.

So obviously there are a lot of people that hate BR starts on these forums, and the ones that love them or don’t care are much less likely to post their thoughts (I mean who would post positive stuff on these forums, right?).

So the reasons I’ve seen for hating BR starts are mainly that it is way to powerful, and there is generally no need to pick up weapons on the map other than power weapons because of this. So obviously having AR starts would solve both of these concerns since you wouldn’t really have a reliable long range weapon, and the BR, DMR, and LR might become worth controlling again.

But consider this: AR starts might solve some of the community hatred towards sprint. I know that doesn’t seem to make sense, but let me explain. Much of the hate towards sprint is simply frustration at people running away so easily. I personally don’t mind sprint right now, but I can see that other people clearly do, so here’s how AR starts might help.

The AR functions as pretty much the longest range automatic weapon, but it is still very usable for very close-range situations (the SMG might be better suited for this range). So the AR functions as a weapon that isn’t strongest in any class (melee, close-range, mid-range, etc), but it functions best at middle to close range. My point being that this will force more fights at middle to close range.

It is mostly agreeable that with the BR you fight at a longer range than with the AR, and this means it is easier for somebody to sprint away to some sort of cover between your line of sight an them. In a fight with AR, there are much less places to hide between you and them since you are closer, and you’re limited to running away with the thruster pack since you’ll just die before you can ramp up your sprint enough.

This would help enhance sprint’s purpose as a mechanic that is for mobility to a fight, not away from one.

You don’t need to read past this point, but it’s just an additional thought I had that really doesn’t matter to what I said above.

BR starts vs SMG starts were also debated a little in TMCC. The main problem here being that on some maps the SMG was useless, but on other maps the BR was too powerful. I personally hated being spawned at the Banshee platform on Ascension with an SMG when the other team had the sniper and was watching our spawn from the sniper platform. There was no way I’d be able to make it to that sniper without a BR. However I also hated BRs on a map like Midship since I couldn’t go anywhere except the two bases since I’d quickly be killed from seemingly nowhere.

The AR fixed this issue by becoming the more neutral ranged weapon, and making it practical for all maps.

People are really getting annoying. Why are all of you acting like we can only choose between AR Only or BR only? Like the last 3 Halo games we can have both and the players can decide which they want to play in lobby.

Also, the BR is not too powerful. It is balanced with the other weapons.
BR beats SMG, AR, DMR at Mid range
DMR and Light Rifle beats BR SMG AR at Long range
SMG and AR beat BR DMR at close range

I mean what more can you ask for? With BR starts you still have to control the map and fight for power weapons (When they are fully added).

I’ll say it one more time: WE CAN AND WILL HAVE BOTH SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER DERPPPPPPPSPSPSPSPSPS

> 2535416519117528;2:
> People are really getting annoying. Why are all of you acting like we can only choose between AR Only or BR only? Like the last 3 Halo games we can have both and the players can decide which they want to play in lobby.
>
> Also, the BR is not too powerful. It is balanced with the other weapons.
> BR beats SMG, AR, DMR at Mid range
> DMR and Light Rifle beats BR SMG AR at Long range
> SMG and AR beat BR DMR at close range
>
> I mean what more can you ask for? With BR starts you still have to control the map and fight for power weapons (When they are fully added).
>
> I’ll say it one more time: WE CAN AND WILL HAVE BOTH SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER DERPPPPPPPSPSPSPSPSPS

You did agree with what I said except for the part about the BR not being to powerful. Maybe I should have addressed that too, but that wasn’t really my point either.

My point was that the AR might fix other concerns like sprint and easily running away.

I also think that BR has a long range of functionality in comparison to other weapons, but as I said it will be beat in very close range.

I had more fun with the assault rifle than I ever did with the BR.

BR starts is my preferred method of Halo, especially in these larger maps that have been built to accommodate sprint and thrust… like SMG starts in Halo2… shudder
-__-
This argument almost always devolves into “what ifs”… What if its AR starts and the other team gets BR’s… then you can’t fight back… what if there aren’t enough BR’s on the map and it becomes a power weapon of sorts. Would AR’s still have headshot capability if they were starting weapons?
I’m not a fan of the ADS at all and thus the new AR scoping makes me die a little inside BUT I’m still know its useful, I’d just rather play with a BR… From Spawn.
The BR is Halo to me.

> 2535416519117528;2:
> People are really getting annoying. Why are all of you acting like we can only choose between AR Only or BR only? Like the last 3 Halo games we can have both and the players can decide which they want to play in lobby.
>
>
> I mean what more can you ask for? With BR starts you still have to control the map and fight for power weapons (When they are fully added).
>
> I’ll say it one more time: WE CAN AND WILL HAVE BOTH SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER DERPPPPPPPSPSPSPSPSPS

The mystical idea of choosing seems to have eluded people.

> 2535416519117528;2:
>
>
>

i rarely see anyone go for any of the other weapons on the map maybe besides the sword when its BR starts

Battle rifle starts make it more frustrating, especially in Eden. Assault rifle starts are better.

> 2533274824183918;5:
> BR starts is my preferred method of Halo, especially in these larger maps that have been built to accommodate sprint and thrust… like SMG starts in Halo2… shudder
> -__-
> This argument almost always devolves into “what ifs”… What if its AR starts and the other team gets BR’s… then you can’t fight back… what if there aren’t enough BR’s on the map and it becomes a power weapon of sorts. Would AR’s still have headshot capability if they were starting weapons?
> I’m not a fan of the ADS at all and thus the new AR scoping makes me die a little inside BUT I’m still know its useful, I’d just rather play with a BR… From Spawn.
> The BR is Halo to me.

I did mention the SMG starts in Halo 2 at the bottom of my post. They did without a doubt suck on some maps (Ascension).

I personally think that if the team worked smart together the BR wouldn’t become such a menace if a person had it since the AR does have a longer range this game, but I still think that it should serve it’s purpose as a more powerful weapon that what you spawn with (for certain situations) so it’s actually work picking up weapons on the map.

> 2692777277209222;7:
> > 2535416519117528;2:
> > People are really getting annoying. Why are all of you acting like we can only choose between AR Only or BR only? Like the last 3 Halo games we can have both and the players can decide which they want to play in lobby.
> >
> > Also, the BR is not too powerful. It is balanced with the other weapons.
> > BR beats SMG, AR, DMR at Mid range
> > DMR and Light Rifle beats BR SMG AR at Long range
> > SMG and AR beat BR DMR at close range
> >
> > I mean what more can you ask for? With BR starts you still have to control the map and fight for power weapons (When they are fully added).
> >
> > I’ll say it one more time: WE CAN AND WILL HAVE BOTH SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER DERPPPPPPPSPSPSPSPSPS
>
>
> i rarely see anyone go for any of the other weapons on the map maybe besides the sword when its BR starts

Have you ever thought that is because all of the weapons aren’t on the map yet? Even with the limited weapons on map people are still circling sword, hydra, and sniper every time they spawn. The power weapons still beat a BR everytime when used correctly. And people are defintely going for the light rifle as more people are realizing it is the most powerful weapon in the game thus far. Last but not least, the SMG is a beast and any smart player picks one up for a secondary any time they run past one as it dominates any weapon close range

> 2692777277209222;7:
> > 2535416519117528;2:
> > People are really getting annoying. Why are all of you acting like we can only choose between AR Only or BR only? Like the last 3 Halo games we can have both and the players can decide which they want to play in lobby.
> >
> > Also, the BR is not too powerful. It is balanced with the other weapons.
> > BR beats SMG, AR, DMR at Mid range
> > DMR and Light Rifle beats BR SMG AR at Long range
> > SMG and AR beat BR DMR at close range
> >
> > I mean what more can you ask for? With BR starts you still have to control the map and fight for power weapons (When they are fully added).
> >
> > I’ll say it one more time: WE CAN AND WILL HAVE BOTH SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER DERPPPPPPPSPSPSPSPSPS
>
>
> i rarely see anyone go for any of the other weapons on the map maybe besides the sword when its BR starts

He means choosing weapon starts before the game starts.