AR is not OP

Initially, I was in the “AR is OP” crowd. My thought was that the damage dealt and ROF was good, just needed a slight cutback in the range.

I’ve been using the beta as a full out testing ground to really do what I can to help out in making the game better. Now that BR starts have been up, I have been making the attempt to use the AR regularly against BR/DMR/LR users to test out its effectiveness. Especially on Eden because it has some very open sections.

Turns out, it’s not that strong. On many 1v1s I have ultimately just gotten hammered by these weapons before I can even begin to deal some serious damage with the AR. The only times I’ve managed to kill with it against precision weapons is in it’s low-mid range that it is designed for (and still rarely, only frequent in the low range). It actually feels like it is balanced much better than I had thought at first, and it should not change at all for the fear that it gets nerfed and becomes a useless weapon again.

BR users, don’t fear the AR, acknowledge that it has been balanced well and actually gives players a chance do defend themselves and MAYBE get a kill at mid ranges. One misconception about the game is that there is “flinch”, which there sort of is at this point. Josh Holmes stated that there is no flinch, it is an animation bug that will be fixed. When that is fixed, how threatening would an AR be a mid-range?

It’s redeeming quality is that it is accurate enough at those ranges to get in SOME hits to de-scope players. That’s really it. No nerfing. These weapons are more balanced than ever before in the history of Halo.

“Yes” if you think it’s good how it is.
“No” if you think it’s OP.

IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well

Well the only reason the AR is OP right now is because it has ADS. AR’s are not supposed to be mid-ranged weapons. Other than that, it shouldn’t be a problem

I never got the argument…how the heck can something be op when everyone has one or has an equal opportunity to get it…the only time something is op is when everyone on unequal ground…so in a scenario where u have to earn the weapon after playing for a long time or loot drop…if everyone has the weapon how is it op…u have ur own use it…common sense would tell u that…and if it was so op nobody would pick up other weapons…

the ar is not even stronger than the smg…and if you die across the map to an ar u must be doing something wrong…I have never been killed or seen someone get killed across the map at full shields

Eliminate the spread reduction associated with SmartScope and the AR is just fine.

Yes

I like the AR standing a good chance against the BR and DMR. In previous games (bar halo 4) it was a piece of trash.

> 2533274832130936;2:
> IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well

So you’d rather the AR was useless again, gotcha. Loud and clear.

FYI, AR = ASSAULT RIFLE which means a close to mid range weapon with selective fire that can be automatic, semi-automatic, or even burst. Though the two former options are more often than not the available choices.

The AR in precious Halo games is just a piss poor redundancy of the SMG. Let’s not make the same mistake again.

> 2533274824466008;8:
> > 2533274832130936;2:
> > IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well
>
>
> So you’d rather the AR was useless again, gotcha. Loud and clear.

I see so many people wanting it nerfed so its not even usable or removed from the game entirely. :frowning:

> 2533274824466008;8:
> > 2533274832130936;2:
> > IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well
>
>
> So you’d rather the AR was useless again, gotcha. Loud and clear.
>
> FYI, AR = ASSAULT RIFLE which means a close to mid range weapon with selective fire that can be automatic, semi-automatic, or even burst. Though the two former options are more often than not the available choices.
>
> The AR in precious Halo games is just a piss poor redundancy of the SMG. Let’s not make the same mistake again.

I don’t want it useless, I simply don’t want it to preform as well as it currently does out side of its intended range

Make it like the H4 AR, that thing wasn’t useless when used right it was a beast, but you had to use it right
Especially after the weapon tuning

Make it the H4 AR and I’m happy how about that?
Headshot modifier has to go, and ADS range needs nerfed at the very least

AR is great the way it is. But just like in every other game if you want to zoom in with an automatic weapon, the accuracy should be further decreased than it already is.

> 2533274832130936;10:
> > 2533274824466008;8:
> > > 2533274832130936;2:
> > > IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well
> >
> >
> >
> > So you’d rather the AR was useless again, gotcha. Loud and clear.
> >
> > FYI, AR = ASSAULT RIFLE which means a close to mid range weapon with selective fire that can be automatic, semi-automatic, or even burst. Though the two former options are more often than not the available choices.
> >
> > The AR in precious Halo games is just a piss poor redundancy of the SMG. Let’s not make the same mistake again.
>
>
> I don’t want it useless, I simply don’t want it to preform as well as it currently does out side of its intended range
>
> Make it like the H4 AR, that thing wasn’t useless when used right it was a beast, but you had to use it right
> Especially after the weapon tuning
>
> Make it the H4 AR and I’m happy how about that?
> Headshot modifier has to go, and ADS range needs nerfed at the very least

It’s performing well within its intended range. If the intent is to make the AR a close/mid range weapon like it is for Beta, then that’s where it’s performing.

AR is fine Eden also proved that for me as well I intentionally went for the AR just to see how well I would do against the BR users good news everyone I wasn’t out shooting a BR at mid range. All the week one complaints were ridiculous as it was AR starts of course you would be getting killed by AR’s at almost every range.

> 2533274809388591;11:
> AR is great the way it is. But just like in every other game if you want to zoom in with an automatic weapon, the accuracy should be further decreased than it already is.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Yes, it’s a great starting weapon. Proof? Noone bothers going for ARs when there’s battle rifle starts.

> 2533274822673203;15:
> Yes, it’s a great starting weapon. Proof? Noone bothers going for ARs when there’s battle rifle starts.

I do actually. Though I’ve always done this in all Halo games. AR and BR work very well together (AR and DMR is even better).

> 2533274832130936;2:
> IMO reduce its range both in and out of ADS, and get rid of the head shot modifier and I would be happy altho if I were truthful I would like to see it lose its accuracy buff while in ADS as well

> 2533274971476153;5:
> Eliminate the spread reduction associated with SmartScope and the AR is just fine.

Nooooo. You guys are asking for one of the most agrigius examples of fake difficulty in FPS :Visual Recoil. This would make it useless to aim for greater distances since the game would be lying to you on were your shots are going. The H2 BR (pre-patch) and H3 BR had that kind of effect and look what happened to them.

I stated similar things.

The idea that the AR and SMG are too powerful at mid-range (15 or more meters) is tripe. A target needs to be either extremely weak or stationary and every bullet has to hit the target. That does not happen that often.

What they did was necessary in order to give them a chance to defend themselves and make them viable weapons. It is clear that 343 thought that through.

YMMV but that is my opinion.

For more follow this link. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/the-ar-and-smg-are-fine/51d72427-55aa-4f99-8ab8-4694a2f47a9f/posts

> 2533274866409577;1:
> Initially, I was in the “AR is OP” crowd. My thought was that the damage dealt and ROF was good, just needed a slight cutback in the range.
>
> I’ve been using the beta as a full out testing ground to really do what I can to help out in making the game better. Now that BR starts have been up, I have been making the attempt to use the AR regularly against BR/DMR/LR users to test out its effectiveness. Especially on Eden because it has some very open sections.
>
> Turns out, it’s not that strong. On many 1v1s I have ultimately just gotten hammered by these weapons before I can even begin to deal some serious damage with the AR. The only times I’ve managed to kill with it against precision weapons is in it’s low-mid range that it is designed for (and still rarely, only frequent in the low range). It actually feels like it is balanced much better than I had thought at first, and it should not change at all for the fear that it gets nerfed and becomes a useless weapon again.
>
> BR users, don’t fear the AR, acknowledge that it has been balanced well and actually gives players a chance do defend themselves and MAYBE get a kill at mid ranges. One misconception about the game is that there is “flinch”, which there sort of is at this point. Josh Holmes stated that there is no flinch, it is an animation bug that will be fixed. When that is fixed, how threatening would an AR be a mid-range?
>
> It’s redeeming quality is that it is accurate enough at those ranges to get in SOME hits to de-scope players. That’s really it. No nerfing. These weapons are more balanced than ever before in the history of Halo.
>
> “Yes” if you think it’s good how it is.
> “No” if you think it’s OP.

Eh. It’s more ranged than ever, but at close range it is absolutely annihilated by the smg, which can be found on every map so far. It’s different, but not really OP. I have noticed however, that these Spartan IV’s or V’s (Whatever they are) are the weakest, flimsiest super soldiers out of any halo game. I can’t tell if all the weapon damage needs to be reduced, or if the Spartans themselves need buffs, but some of these kill times feel very COD-ish and wrong for the game.

Just take away the headshot multipliers and the spread reduction when scoped and it should be fine.