AR in H4

Question: Why are only the precision weapons headshot capable?

It defies logic.

Why would a Grunt die with one shot to the head from a DMR/BR yet survives a burst of fire from the AR? And why does a weapon that can be fired in SQB to allow it to be accurate over range, but not effecient, lack any sort of scope for such a range?

MP wise: I’m not asking that one AR bullet kill an unshielded player. Rather that the AR gets a damage boost from shooting the head. Thus it promotes more skill in using the weapon.

And isn’t that a good thing?

No idea why, maybe because it’s so inaccurate thatmaking it headshot capable would make it too powerful? I don’t know.

And in Halo CEA i’ve headshoted a few grunts on the rare occasions i used the AR.(I know this because i had grunt birthday on).

I see where you’re coming from, but halo is more of an arcade style shooter with precision weapons for head shots. They couldn’t make it a system as random as that of a weapon with wild spread. Not really a horrible idea, but the way they would execute it would be the make or break for this.

> They couldn’t make it a system as random as that of a weapon with wild spread. Not really a horrible idea, but the way they would execute it would be the make or break for this.

They did it with the DMR.

> Question: Why are only the precision weapons headshot capable?
>
> It defies logic.

It defies reality, but it most definitely does not defy logic. Surely you can understand why it would be inappropriate to allow fully automatic weapons to do more damage when their bullets strike a target’s head.

> Surely you can understand why it would be inappropriate to allow fully automatic weapons to do more damage when their bullets strike a target’s head.

No I don’t.

Why would it be inappropriate?

> > They couldn’t make it a system as random as that of a weapon with wild spread. Not really a horrible idea, but the way they would execute it would be the make or break for this.
>
> They did it with the DMR.

I saw this coming. lol

It’s all made for the quality of gameplay and to make certain weapons fill certain niches. Just like the shotgun in Halo games is a very short range weapon when, but in real life it’s actually pretty accurate up to much longer distances.

I wouldn’t be opposed to your idea though. It’d probably be a beneficial change to those who can actually aim.

I have no idea, but it if they implemented this idea competitive players would just rage

> I have no idea, but it if they implemented this idea competitive players would just rage

I really don’t think they would.

> Question: Why are only the precision weapons headshot capable?
>
> It defies logic.
>
> Why would a Grunt die with one shot to the head from a DMR/BR yet survives a burst of fire from the AR? And why does a weapon that can be fired in SQB to allow it to be accurate over range, but not effecient, lack any sort of scope for such a range?
>
> MP wise: I’m not asking that one AR bullet kill an unshielded player. Rather that the AR gets a damage boost from shooting the head. Thus it promotes more skill in using the weapon.
>
> And isn’t that a good thing?

It’s actually not a bad idea and it does have precedent in the Halo series - the plasma rifle in Halo CE did more damage with headshots (after bursting the shields). However, plasma bolts travel more slowly than AR bullets, so to keep this from being a crutch for unskilled players the bloom and/or recoil on the AR should be increased dramatically to compensate for giving more damage to headshots. This has the side benefit of encouraging burst fire and would make the AR viable at medium range against moderately-skilled BR or Pistol users.

The AR could probably also use a damage boost (again, only with massively increased bloom/recoil). It then becomes quite a skilled weapon, with viability in medium range using burst fire but being much more difficult to control going full auto.