Anyone have any Hydra tips?

Like the title said, im looking for any tips on using the hydra in arena(Specifically plaza and big team) and Warzone. I think its under powered, I literally die ever single time i get my hands on it and try to use it, but that just might be me. Any help?

Lock on and throw the rockets up into the air, so they come down from above, bypassing cover. Unless you’re indoors. Then you’re screwed.

When you lock on, descope yourself and fire in a direction that will arc them towards the enemy. Make sure to use it when the enemy can’t see you. It’s a much better stealth weapon than an offensive weapon. :wink:

Don’t try using it when you’re getting shot at. That prevents lock-on and aiming it without lock-on is like -Yoink!- into the wind. Also, when your target is heading into cover, aim a little away from the cover so the shot gets more curve. For example, they’re heading behind a wall that’s to the right. Point it left when you have lock and that’ll make the shots more likely to go around. When you have lock-on to a target that’s behind a structure with no roof you can fire into the air and your missles will land on the other side- and probably on your target.

How do you get the lock on?

> 2533274800197043;5:
> How do you get the lock on?

Zoom in and look at an enemy that is within range. You’ll know you have lock on when you hear a steady tone and a red square appears on your screen. The lock on holds for 2-3 seconds.

Ya…it is worthless. Sell any you get in a req pac.

> 2533274973991639;7:
> Ya…it is worthless. Sell any you get in a req pac.

Hardly. You have to know how to use it, however. It kills Spartans in two direct hits. If you know how to obtain lock on and fire around cover, you can easily destroy the enemy team. It is probably my favorite weapon in Halo 5. I use it all the time in Breakout. I peek out, lock on, and fire 3-4 missiles in the air. They swerve around and demolish my target. 1 down, 3 to go.

As a Hydra-semipro, my only tips are:

• Lock on from far away. It’s a very bad close range weapon.
  • Fire in threes. Spartans die in 2-3 missiles. So after you get a lock on, send a volley of three missiles and continue on your way. 9/10 times, that spartan dies while I’m on my way to the next one.
  • Do NOT enter direct fire fights with the Hydra. Odds are while being under fire you will only get 1-2 missiles out, and that’s if it doesn’t break your lock-on. As someone said above, this is a very good stealth / ambush weapon. If you get caught, you could potentially get a kill by firing at the ground below them without locking on.

The Hydra is easily one of my favorite weapons in Halo 5. Very underrated gun that I seem to find sitting and waiting for me every time I head to it’s spawn.

My top tip - don’t use it. Way too complicated.

Like the others said, fire above cover if you can, I never actually realized the lock on persisted after de-scoping I will try it tonight, I’ve got a few in Warzone Reqs.

My tip is use it as a support weapon, in close up firefights you will often get killed before you get the chance to fire, as I’m sure you noticed. On Deadlock you can use it to fire into the middle area from the top of bases excellent on strongholds games, or deny enemy access to the low areas to the sides of bases. And try to stick with allies, they will take fire and let you get Hydra shots in.

Finally its also great for taking out Ghost and Mongoose Drivers if you can hang on to it long enough.

Lock on player.
Look up.
Fire 3.

> 2533274917099112;12:
> Lock on player.
> Look up.
> Fire 3.

Thats it!! end of this topic
LoL :slight_smile:

Good suggestions, thanks everyone. I’ve been picking it up only to deny the enemy its use.

I found it more useful the less I thought about firing it. Thinking too much was getting in the way.

> 2533274828482144;1:
> Like the title said, im looking for any tips on using the hydra in arena(Specifically plaza and big team) and Warzone. I think its under powered, I literally die ever single time i get my hands on it and try to use it, but that just might be me. Any help?

My only tip would be, when you see it, walk by it. Worst gun in the game. Utterly useless.

> 2556731038472681;16:
> > 2533274828482144;1:
> > Like the title said, im looking for any tips on using the hydra in arena(Specifically plaza and big team) and Warzone. I think its under powered, I literally die ever single time i get my hands on it and try to use it, but that just might be me. Any help?
>
>
> My only tip would be, when you see it, walk by it. Worst gun in the game. Utterly useless.

I think you should read the entire thread and try again. The hydra is awesome. I can rarely get my hands on it in arena but I’m going to start pulling the req cards

> 2533274953123640;2:
> Lock on and throw the rockets up into the air, so they come down from above, bypassing cover. Unless you’re indoors. Then you’re screwed.

So im guess this strategy would rarely work on Plaza right? :stuck_out_tongue: i wonder why they even put it there in the first place.

> 2533274983431281;3:
> When you lock on, descope yourself and fire in a direction that will arc them towards the enemy. Make sure to use it when the enemy can’t see you. It’s a much better stealth weapon than an offensive weapon. :wink:

Thanks! ill have to change my play style then :P, using it in conjunction with a BR should be great for controlling an area at medium range…

> 2533274924282060;4:
> Don’t try using it when you’re getting shot at. That prevents lock-on and aiming it without lock-on is like -Yoink!- into the wind. Also, when your target is heading into cover, aim a little away from the cover so the shot gets more curve. For example, they’re heading behind a wall that’s to the right. Point it left when you have lock and that’ll make the shots more likely to go around. When you have lock-on to a target that’s behind a structure with no roof you can fire into the air and your missles will land on the other side- and probably on your target.

Thanks for the Tip! ill have to save up my req cards so i can practice with it more.

> 2533274973991639;7:
> Ya…it is worthless. Sell any you get in a req pac.

Lol im not giving up that easily on it :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274828482144;18:
> > 2533274953123640;2:
> > Lock on and throw the rockets up into the air, so they come down from above, bypassing cover. Unless you’re indoors. Then you’re screwed.
>
>
> So im guess this strategy would rarely work on Plaza right? :stuck_out_tongue: i wonder why they even put it there in the first place.

Actually Plaza has a couple of areas that it can absolutely murder in. But it comes down to luck in getting it at the right time and having all the targets line up for you.
I do wish it had some more splash damage though, or even a proximity fuze, many’s the time I’ve been caught in close quarters and fired without target lock only to see the rockets go right by within a foot or two.