Anyone else still feel the aiming is clunky?

UPDATE* Please read this first before saying it’s because of aim assist

Now to give you some background, I have not changed my aim settings ever since they first included the options to change your inner and outer deadzones. I have tried and tried again to get used to the aiming controls but call me crazy but I STILL feel my shot is off in situations where I know I should’ve gotten the kill.

I swear that I’m mostly fighting the aim assist more so than fighting the players because when I move my reticle on someone, the aim assist kicks in way before my reticle actually rests on the player and because of that, I end up over compensating and missing shots and so when I actually try to correct myself, it makes it worse and I’ve already lost the fight. It seems to me everyone else has gotten used to the controls but I guess I don’t really adapt as easily as some people do.

Then on top of this, I managed to re-install my MCC copy after 6 months or so and I’m telling you, every single game I was doing extraordinarily well. Now to be fair, the players I was going up against were not the best players. I get that but that’s really besides the point. I truly felt that my aim was way more responsive and precise than I’ve felt in ANY game I’ve played in H5. That’s saying something. I just hope there are those of you that share the same opinion as I do claiming that the H5 aiming still feels clunky despite all the options they have given us to customize it.

My issue is that when I’m aiming with Smart Scope, my sensitivity is exactly the same as it is for when I’m not aimed.

To explain better, it isn’t compensating for the narrowed view at all. I’m flying around my target when I should be getting a bead on them.

I was having the same problems, but it seems if you pick a sensitivity and leave it there after a while it will feel normal.

> 2533274950162674;3:
> I was having the same problems, but it seems if you pick a sensitivity and leave it there after a while it will feel normal.

The problem is that I haven’t changed my aim sensitivity since the release of the game. I’ve always had it on 5 ever since playing halo 2.

I agree that H5’s aim still isn’t completely fixed. The introduction of aim acceleration makes everything feel wird. There still isn’t an option to turn it completely off. Your service record looks real nice. Personally, I’m not that great of a player, but I’ve been managing to find success by putting more emphasis on my strafe and movement, using my aiming stick mostly only for making small adjustments on my target.

> 2535413178477153;5:
> I agree that H5’s aim still isn’t completely fixed. The introduction of aim acceleration makes everything feel wird. There still isn’t an option to turn it completely off. Your service record looks real nice. Personally, I’m not that great of a player, but I’ve been managing to find success by putting more emphasis on my strafe and movement, using my aiming stick mostly only for making small adjustments on my target.

Yeah it seems like the less input you give the analog stick for aiming, the more successful your shot is going to be. I just don’t like the idea of essentially not moving my aim stick to hit shots. It just seems like backwards thinking to me.

The aiming system is counterintuitive by 343’s incompetent game design.

Two turn style aim system with time based acceleration
it’s never going to feel right
even after all the options and tweaks it is still inconsistent

The only problem I’ve faced is when I’m about to kill a guy with the BR and it targets another guy at full shields for no reason (or even better, a banshee).

> 2533274832130936;8:
> Two turn style aim system with time based acceleration
> it’s never going to feel right
> even after all the options and tweaks it is still inconsistent

Huh, I didn’t realize it was a two turn aim system. That actually explains a lot then.

> 2533274830444029;7:
> The aiming system is counterintuitive by 343’s incompetent game design.

Great post. I’ve never seen this before so it was a really good read. My mind can rest easy now that I know I’m not crazy.

Nah I don’t think it’s as bad now, at least on ‘focused’ server settings. Try having your vertical sensitivity lower than your horizontal. Worked for me.

Nah I don’t think it’s as bad now, at least on ‘focused’ server settings. Try having your vertical sensitivity lower than your horizontal. Worked for me.

Maybe im being paranoid, but I feel like the game adjusts things mid-match in order to create close games. Like aim assist and weapon/nade damage.

One team will be getting crushed by the other team and halfway through the match the other team makes an amazing comeback and the score ends up being 48-50. Ill play a match and it feels like there is no aim assist and then halfway through the match I cant not get a perfect kill. Sometimes Ill see a nade explode right next to a player and his shields wont pop, and sometimes Ill throw a bad nade thats not even close to a player and his shields pop. These strange instances always seem to seem to benefit the losing team. In warzone I see a boss either take WAY too much damage or he drops pretty easy. When both teams are unloading the kill always benefits the losing team.

Ive never felt this way about any other Halo, or any other competitive shooter. Ive never played a game thats felt so inconsistent as Halo 5. These thought have never crossed my mind until Halo 5. Ive never played a competitive game that has had so many comebacks and very close games. So thats my conspiracy theory.

When you scope in the control is garbage, outside its okay.

> 2728966917079826;15:
> When you scope in the control is garbage, outside its okay.

The weapon I have the most trouble with is the pistol. The BR I feel I can land shots pretty easy with but that pistol is so inconsistent for me that it makes the game pretty frustrating seeing as though the pistol is THE weapon that you almost have to be good at to have any decent chance of winning a match.

I just really wished this game had the aim mechanics from previous Halos. I love the H5 sandbox and feel of the game but the aiming is what’s holding me back a lot of the time. Was playing some more MCC today and I could tell immediately how different the aiming feels from H5. I don’t know what they were thinking when they decided to mess with the aim when there was absolutely no problem with it to begin with.

I thought that at first until I made adjustments to my settings. Which btw I used the default in all other Halo games. This is the first time I have made changes.

It’s fine now, with all of the options 343i has added to it, as well as the fact that I’m used to it (after 1500+ games lol)

> 2533274816788253;18:
> I thought that at first until I made adjustments to my settings. Which btw I used the default in all other Halo games. This is the first time I have made changes.

I’ve only made changes to the dead zones and despite it reading 0% on dead zones, there is still a little amount and that is because of how the game was programmed from the beginning. So there is something wrong with the two turn aiming this game uses. I don’t know of any other FPS that uses this type of aim mechanics but it’s been proven that it’s inconsistent no matter what you try to change in settings.