Anyone else SLIGHTLY miffed about this?

Before you read this please note that it contains spoilers for ME3, so if you don’t wanna read about it then close this now! I warned ya!

I’m talking about the Mass Effect 3 day one DLC called “From Ashes” that you can see here. NOTE: That link goes to the DIRECT XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE where you can see what the DLC is about and what comes with it, it is a spoiler so please do NOT click it if you plan on playing ME3 spoiler free.

Now I’m gonna be the first to admit that I’ve read SOME of the spoilers for ME3 since I’m stupid. Now I know that some certain species will appear and how important said species is in the lore of the Mass Effect trilogy. I’m talking of course of the

Protheans.

Now in ME3 you can have a Prothean squadmate…who has a very strange accent but who am I to complain, and without going too far into it, he’s a Prothean. Making him possibly the last of his kind. So this is a pretty big deal right?

You get this character in the first day DLC, and you can imagine giving what it is he’s pretty damn important to the story (and take it from somebody who’s read half of the script, he is) so this baby is First Day DLC…ok. Zaeed was first day DLC and he was free. This must be free too…right?

Wrong. To get this DLC called “From Ashes” you must pay 800 MS Points. So basically if you live in the US you have to pay $60 for the base game, and another $10 for this character that is quite important to the ME3 storyline.

You may as well have bought the Collectors Edition since it comes free with that.

Now before you say “Oh shut up whining Spearhead!” please know, that I am not. I am not whining, I am not complaining and I guarantee I’ll be purchasing the DLC.

What I’m doing is basically informing those who didn’t know on these forums how important said character is to the story in ME3. So if he’s so important and vital to the lore of Mass Effect then why was he not included in the final game? Very good question and one I do not personally have an answer to.

This whole thing leads me to believe that ME3 was incomplete because this character was in the leaked script last year, so it’s in the main storyline which I am technically confirming right now. So my point is why should people pay for something that should’ve been included in the base game?

If the game needed to be pushed back another month or two, so be it. Bioware has pushed it back before so one more time couldn’t hurt could it?

Personally, I don’t mind. I’m a little miffed about being technically cheated out of $10/£6.29 for something that should have been included with the final product to start with. Either way, like I said, I don’t mind and I’m still going to purchase it but at the end of the day I just wanted to give my two cents and maybe warn a couple of people who may not want this DLC character and mission.

And yes. I’m very aware that this is a Halo based website, but this is the General Discussion and you are allowed to discuss more than just Halo in this topic. Just a heads up.

Wow I had no idea that there was a DLC on the first day. Thanks for the heads up. But I agree that this sounds like something you shouldn’t have to pay for. Sounds kinda greedy.
: /

> Wow I had no idea that there was a DLC on the first day. Thanks for the heads up. But I agree that this sounds like something you shouldn’t have to pay for. Sounds <mark>kinda greedy</mark>.
> : /

“Kinda greedy”? That sounds really greedy to me.

Ω

> > Wow I had no idea that there was a DLC on the first day. Thanks for the heads up. But I agree that this sounds like something you shouldn’t have to pay for. Sounds <mark>kinda greedy</mark>.
> > : /
>
> “Kinda greedy”? That sounds really greedy to me.
>
> Ω

Fine its actually really greedy and quite a terrible way to grab some extra cash.

> > > Wow I had no idea that there was a DLC on the first day. Thanks for the heads up. But I agree that this sounds like something you shouldn’t have to pay for. Sounds <mark>kinda greedy</mark>.
> > > : /
> >
> > “Kinda greedy”? That sounds really greedy to me.
> >
> > Ω
>
> Fine its actually really greedy and quite a terrible way to grab some extra cash.

Exactly

Ω

> > > Wow I had no idea that there was a DLC on the first day. Thanks for the heads up. But I agree that this sounds like something you shouldn’t have to pay for. Sounds <mark>kinda greedy</mark>.
> > > : /
> >
> > “Kinda greedy”? That sounds really greedy to me.
> >
> > Ω
>
> Fine its actually really greedy and quite a terrible way to grab some extra cash.

It’s really coming across to me that ME3 isn’t finished and Bioware is nervous because of it. So they are trying to get as much cash as possible.

it’s a good job I’ve never played mass effect then. maybe when 3 comes out I should buy them all and play through them in one go.

I heard that the DLC that was leaked, is a bonus mission for one of the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, which kind of fits because Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition Details Image, says:

> Additional Downloadable Mission & Characters

> I heard that the DLC that was leaked, is a bonus mission for one of the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, which kind of fits because Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition Details Image, says:
>
>
> > Additional Downloadable Mission & Characters

It’s been confirmed that it’s for everyone. Collectors Edition owners only get it for free.

> > I heard that the DLC that was leaked, is a bonus mission for one of the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, which kind of fits because Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition Details Image, says:
> >
> >
> > > Additional Downloadable Mission & Characters
>
> It’s been confirmed that it’s for everyone. Collectors Edition owners only get it for free.

Well, I’ve only known that the additional DLC was for the Collectors edition, but as far as it being for every one, it’s news to me. Which also supports my theory that Bioware isn’t being greedy, but being nice and letting everyone have a chance to play the DLC, and not just the people with the collectors edition. You can view that as greedy, but I view it as them being nice, and not being a bunch of aholes giving out DLC to people who buy the collectors edition of ME3, like some other game developers.

> > > I heard that the DLC that was leaked, is a bonus mission for one of the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, which kind of fits because Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition Details Image, says:
> > >
> > >
> > > > Additional Downloadable Mission & Characters
> >
> > It’s been confirmed that it’s for everyone. Collectors Edition owners only get it for free.
>
> Well, I’ve only known that the additional DLC was for the Collectors edition, but as far as it being for every one, it’s news to me. Which also supports my theory that Bioware isn’t being greedy, but being nice and letting everyone have a chance to play the DLC, and not just the people with the collectors edition. You can view that as greedy, but I view it as them being nice, and not being a bunch of aholes giving out DLC to people who buy the collectors edition of ME3, like some other game developers.

I will view them as being greedy because I know they are being greedy.

I’ve read the script for ME3 and this character was planned from day one to be in the story to play a big role. Bioware then made this content and obviously took it from the final game to stick it as DLC.

The character plays such an important and epic role in the game that he was meant to be in the finished product.

Bioware then gives it to Collectors Edition users but forces people who either can’t afford it or don’t want it to buy it for $10 when they were entitled to it from the start? No. That doesn’t work with me and it sure as hell didn’t work with those other 500,000 people who are still complaining about it.

If I know that I’m entitled to something for free I don’t expect to have to pay for it just because a company feels a little greedy.

Say what you want, but they are being greedy, and even if it isn’t them it’s sure as hell EA because they pull this Online Pass crap with everything they release that’s annoying a lot of gamers.

At the end of the day, I’m still going to buy it but that doesn’t mean I’m going to pay any attention to Bioware once I’m done with it.

And as for supporting your theory. I do not see how any of that supports a theory that Bioware isn’t directly cheating the gamer out of $10. Bioware isn’t giving the non collectors edition users the DLC because they’re being nice. They’re doing it because they’re getting an easy $10 out of it because they know people will buy it.

If you don’t get that I really don’t know what to say to you…

> I will view them as being greedy because I know they are being greedy.
>
> I’ve read the script for ME3 and this character was planned from day one to be in the story to play a big role. Bioware then made this content and obviously took it from the final game to stick it as DLC.
>
> The character plays such an important and epic role in the game that he was meant to be in the finished product.
>
> Bioware then gives it to Collectors Edition users but forces people who either can’t afford it or don’t want it to buy it for $10 when they were entitled to it from the start? No. That doesn’t work with me and it sure as hell didn’t work with those other 500,000 people who are still complaining about it.
>
> If I know that I’m entitled to something for free I don’t expect to have to pay for it just because a company feels a little greedy.
>
>
> Say what you want, but they are being greedy, and even if it isn’t them it’s sure as hell EA because they pull this Online Pass crap with everything they release that’s annoying a lot of gamers.
>
> At the end of the day, I’m still going to buy it but that doesn’t mean I’m going to pay any attention to Bioware once I’m done with it.
>
> And as for supporting your theory. I do not see how any of that supports a theory that Bioware isn’t directly cheating the gamer out of $10. Bioware isn’t giving the non collectors edition users the DLC because they’re being nice. They’re doing it because they’re getting an easy $10 out of it because they know people will buy it.
>
> If you don’t get that I really don’t know what to say to you…

I’ve noticed that you have that you feel that every one is greedy. >.>

> > I will view them as being greedy because I know they are being greedy.
> >
> > I’ve read the script for ME3 and this character was planned from day one to be in the story to play a big role. Bioware then made this content and obviously took it from the final game to stick it as DLC.
> >
> > The character plays such an important and epic role in the game that he was meant to be in the finished product.
> >
> > Bioware then gives it to Collectors Edition users but forces people who either can’t afford it or don’t want it to buy it for $10 when they were entitled to it from the start? No. That doesn’t work with me and it sure as hell didn’t work with those other 500,000 people who are still complaining about it.
> >
> > If I know that I’m entitled to something for free I don’t expect to have to pay for it just because a company feels a little greedy.
> >
> >
> > Say what you want, but they are being greedy, and even if it isn’t them it’s sure as hell EA because they pull this Online Pass crap with everything they release that’s annoying a lot of gamers.
> >
> > At the end of the day, I’m still going to buy it but that doesn’t mean I’m going to pay any attention to Bioware once I’m done with it.
> >
> > And as for supporting your theory. I do not see how any of that supports a theory that Bioware isn’t directly cheating the gamer out of $10. Bioware isn’t giving the non collectors edition users the DLC because they’re being nice. They’re doing it because they’re getting an easy $10 out of it because they know people will buy it.
> >
> > If you don’t get that I really don’t know what to say to you…
>
> I’ve noticed that you have that you feel that every one is greedy. >.>

Could you clarify that a little please? I have no idea what to say to that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, I’m more surprised that people WOULDN’T expect EA to pull this kind of shenanigans at the launch of a major game release. They’ve done it for years now and this trend wont go away with them. On Bioware’s part however, I love how they’ll be introducing a new character like they did with Zaeed from the very start of the game. Anyone who understands (or thinks they do) knows that this game has been done in one way or another for a few months now and the boredom of developers makes them want to do fun stuff.

Though while it is nice that we’ll be getting what looks like an amazing character and some great missions along with him who will be great in the overall story, I don’t particularly like how they’ll be charging what will essentially be a $10 difference between the standard + From The Ashes and the Collector’s Edition. Its not like EA cares one way or another whether or not you buy this before they make this free content (if at all), if anything, the only thing you’ll be hurting is the full experience you’ll be missing out on.

Plus, $10 bucks or 800 MSP is chump change when you look at it. That’s the same money you normally pay (if not less) for a half–Yoinked!- map pack for a shooter game, difference is, this DLC is something more than just a mindless killing ground.

> Plus, $10 bucks or 800 MSP is chump change when you look at it. That’s the same money you normally pay (if not less) for a half–Yoink!- map pack for a shooter game, difference is, this DLC is something more than just a mindless killing ground.

Agreed.

If it’s content on the disc that get’s unlocked, BURN THEM!!!
But of all other things, deadlines, teams and turtles mate.
As much as it may tick some people off that something is being co-released in the form of mo’money, the reality is less sinister, yet still in favour of the developers.

See these days companies understand DLC is part of their game and it is now part of the development tools that they use.
And once a game is far enough along, deadlines dictate certain cuts to the “dream” that was once much bigger than can be allowed due to reality biting.
But where once these levels, ideas and story elements were forever left on the floor, now they get compartmentalised and given to the “DLC” team to continue to work on.

What is good news is that sometimes when a DLC item is ready to be released with the game, it can be and the experience, though mo’money, is immediately realised.

As a casual gamer this may be a problem, but as a gamer who loves their IP/franchise/universe, how can this be wrong?

ME2’s Kasumi’s memory and SCIV’s Vader and Yoda are bad DLC items that should piss gamers off.
Content along the lines of “the Arrival,” but hopefully a bit more being released side-by-side the game isn’t bad, as long as it isn’t on the disc.

Content that’s available “free” in the collectors edition and available for the general audience is a way of allowing players to correct their choice of not giving mo’money up front to a happy coincidence.

So overall if this ticks you off, ask yourself, why not buy the collector’s edition if you want more game?

Turns out I want a Promethian on my squad. Not gonna bump uglies or anything, I just like being Shepard and telling everyone else what to do as I bend the will of the galaxy unto my own. The coop-MP is chocolate syrup with peanuts on top.