Anyone else find the banished extremely boring?

I just can’t take them seriously, it seems they no longer know what to do with the covenant anymore. At this point I just feel that halo 3 never happened because they’re the same just red and silver instead of purple, and witth another name to try to seem different. The idea that they “split from the covenant long ago” just tells me that infinite factions of the covenant could just be pulled out of nowhere. Ever since wars 2 they screamed fanservice to me. Compare it to halo 4 where I feel they handled them the best with the idea the war ended. They stuck with only the 4 absolutely essential species so we could see them in gameplay as always but in the story they were just some cavemen running around. They lost, they were nothing. They only subsisted because they were subordinates of the forerunners which were supposed to be the new focus of the series. I agree changing the anatomy of the grunts and elites was a bad idea, but using them interested me more than just brutes again. The elites weren’t defeated and the arbiter in a war with it’s own species, because without the covenant or flood in the way could now attack humanity again, seemed infinitely more interesting. I didn’t read anything that happened between H3 and 4 and could understand it. It’s like that scene of Django unchained where he pretends to bargain with the men taking him to the mines and when they free him he kills them. I loved the idea. Their technology and overall aesthetic was undeniably covenant and didn’t try hiding it, but looked more rough and messy to reflect they were against the wall now.
Overall I think this was part of all the things that halo 5 threw out of the window from halo 4. The same thing goes for jul mdama himself, chief’s personality, a new cortana made by halsey he had to learn to deal with, the didact or the precursors that had so much potential to be expanded into. It’s a shame.

I mean, kinda, but on the other hand, they’re not nearly as boring as those Transformers rejects that 343 tried to pass as Forerunners.
I guess the bar has been lowered so much that the Banished don’t really bother me anymore.

I’m bored with all the Covenant enemies in general. I was less than enthusiastic about seeing yet another cluster of Grunts clumsily firing plasma pistols with an elite standing by in the gameplay footage.

I feel like every Halo game recycles the same enemies. And aren’t the Brutes undistputably the dumbest and least competent species in the Covenant. I have difficulty taking them serious as a threat. But whatever, I’m more interested in multiplayer.

Well when it comes to the banished, these brutes got smart. And when it comes to brutes,they were being rather competent when it came to the great schism… giving elites a very hard time. Grunts are obviously less competent. A case can be made that jackals are less competent. Elites and hunters outshine the brutes in certain aspects but brutes outshine either species in others.
Thier “lack of competence” when they were part of the covanant might stem from the fact the beliefs the covanant hold arent their own…
Every halo game recycling enemies is better than introducing new enemies every halo. Maybe they should introduce new factions of certain species, or sub classes or things of the sort sure. But entirely new classes of enemies doesnt sit well for me. Maybe we can fight enemies that have already been introduced in the lore? sure. But new species that havent been in the lore again… is just out of place

Well I like your idea of the elites just turning there back. But Banished were actually established with a game, while not a widely played game. Its better than using books and written lore to average player. Halo wars 2 you can say was a fanservice idea, as someone who’s played a lot of wars we always asked for it. But they really gave them a good story and halo wars 2 story was not fan service.

Atriox’s plans are unknown besides the fact he used the ark to create another ring(which ended up slipspacing away with anders). So he obviously means some business, that aren’t religious, although I think we stemmed from that a long time ago. Elites were hired on from the shipmaster from HW2. Dude literally has an army he’s been building on the ark since after the events of halo 3. He already underestimated a UNSC force once, dont think he’ll do it again.
Kind of funny actually mirrors the first trilogy he didn’t even account the UNSC until spirt of fire drifted by, but I guess that how halo be.

I think the idea of a Covenant splinter faction is the best direction 343 could have taken Halo’s story. That said, the Banished’s goals aren’t really that clear, and I played through Halo Wars 2.

I found the Banished - epecially the introduction of Atriox - quite good in Halo Wars 2, especially for the Spirits Storyline, as they had something familiar to fight with. I couldn’t have imagined them fighting Prometheans. Back then i also imagined how interesting it would be for the Banished to fight against the UNSC in a future main Halo, well with Infinite i got my wish. While it remains to be seen how they are in Infinite, i can’t say i find them boring thus far, if they are handled well, through Esch…Eschu… Frank…that guy at the end of the Gameplay Demo. I think they can be a very serious replacement of the old Covenant and even more threatening.

> 2533274848663644;5:
> Well I like your idea of the elites just turning there back. But Banished were actually established with a game, while not a widely played game. Its better than using books and written lore to average player. Halo wars 2 you can say was a fanservice idea, as someone who’s played a lot of wars we always asked for it. But they really gave them a good story and halo wars 2 story was not fan service.
>
>
>
> Atriox’s plans are unknown besides the fact he used the ark to create another ring(which ended up slipspacing away with anders). So he obviously means some business, that aren’t religious, although I think we stemmed from that a long time ago. Elites were hired on from the shipmaster from HW2. Dude literally has an army he’s been building on the ark since after the events of halo 3. He already underestimated a UNSC force once, dont think he’ll do it again.
> Kind of funny actually mirrors the first trilogy he didn’t even account the UNSC until spirt of fire drifted by, but I guess that how halo be.
>

Atriox did not created the Ring, it was already there at some point before Atriox arrived at the Ark, we know that the Ark was repaired somewhere around 2552-57, somewhere along that line 09 was also constructed ( at the earliest 2552, whenever the Ark was operational enough again) and finished by 2559 - awaiting to be send to the Soell System, Atriox arrived at the End of 2558.

In Halo Wars 2 they are epic. In Infinite…well, the designs and graphics need to be more gritty…that’d be a start…

> 2533274830139566;7:
> I found the Banished - epecially the introduction of Atriox - quite good in Halo Wars 2, especially for the Spirits Storyline, as they had something familiar to fight with. I couldn’t have imagined them fighting Prometheans. Back then i also imagined how interesting it would be for the Banished to fight against the UNSC in a future main Halo, well with Infinite i got my wish. While it remains to be seen how they are in Infinite, i can’t say i find them boring thus far, if they are handled well, through Esch…Eschu… Frank…that guy at the end of the Gameplay Demo. I think they can be a very serious replacement of the old Covenant and even more threatening.
>
>
> > 2533274848663644;5:
> > Well I like your idea of the elites just turning there back. But Banished were actually established with a game, while not a widely played game. Its better than using books and written lore to average player. Halo wars 2 you can say was a fanservice idea, as someone who’s played a lot of wars we always asked for it. But they really gave them a good story and halo wars 2 story was not fan service.
> >
> >
> >
> > Atriox’s plans are unknown besides the fact he used the ark to create another ring(which ended up slipspacing away with anders). So he obviously means some business, that aren’t religious, although I think we stemmed from that a long time ago. Elites were hired on from the shipmaster from HW2. Dude literally has an army he’s been building on the ark since after the events of halo 3. He already underestimated a UNSC force once, dont think he’ll do it again.
> > Kind of funny actually mirrors the first trilogy he didn’t even account the UNSC until spirt of fire drifted by, but I guess that how halo be.
> >

>
> Atriox did not created the Ring, it was already there at some point before Atriox arrived at the Ark, we know that the Ark was repaired somewhere around 2552-57, somewhere along that line 09 was also constructed ( at the earliest 2552, whenever the Ark was operational enough again) and finished by 2559 - awaiting to be send to the Soell System, Atriox arrived at the End of 2558.

Do I got anything right lol. I’m my own enemy here I’m speaking from memory as I mainly play multiplayer. Thats just what I vaguely remember from the campaign I have to go back through for achievements anyways.

I didn’t play a lot of HW2 but from everything I read about the banished I figure it’s better than the -Yoink- faction in 4 and 5. The forerunners were ok but the Jul 'Mdama’s Covenant -Yoink- was weaker.

I like the Banished. They’re a cooler version of the Covenant to me. I thought the the covie remnants in 4/5 were boring, not a real threat. The Banished on the other hand feel like the real deal. I hope we see a lot of the different enemy variations in Infinite that we saw in HW2.

I dont think so, watch the second cinematic of Halo Wars 2 and you will see the power of Atriox, he literally destroys 3 spartans really easy.
And the banished were one of the few to control the flood and defeat them, even master chief is scared of the flood and The Banished really quite them off.

I don’t mind the concept. But Halo Wars 2 is the only Halo game I haven’t played. Not very good at RTS games and I was trying to 100% Halo Wars 1 before starting 2… and never completed it lol (but I am still working on it, slowly). Plus it’s on Game Pass so I never had a rush. But now of course I skip 1 game and it’s super important to the story lol. Just my luck. I’ll play it eventually…

I think the Banished are cool, especially under Atriox’s control. The aesthetic is interest and definitely has potential.

I like the idea of the Banished. Bungie ended the war. 343i had to do something new. A splinter faction that awoke a new class of enemies to fight was a good move, in my head. The Covenant has been combing the galaxy for thousands of years recruiting battle-ready races. Awakening the ancient Forerunners (or their armigers) was the best way to believably bring in a new faction. After all the work the Covenant did, it’d be a little tougher to believe some brand new race coming out of no where with a grudge enough to fight us. So splinter groups with ANY motivation to keep the story moving along is fine to me. Jul, Banished, Yapyap’s upcoming rebellion. I’ll take it.

It’s going to take a biiiiiiiiiig stretch to bring anything new to this franchise. We’ll be fighting Grunts and Elites until Halo dies. Like it or not.

The banished are the best outcome of taking the old and familiar, and giving it a new spin.

The prometheans have not caught on as a good enemy type after two games now. While I don’t want them removed, them entirely replacing the old enemy type is a bad idea. With the banished, we get our old familiar faces, but with a new twist they can use to experiment and evolve the faction. Jul’s covenant on the other hand was bland, boring, and already proven to be dumb aliens with simplistic goals. Not to mention their aesthetic was wildly unpopular.

There’s no guaruntee there’s no forerunner or flood enemies in infinite just because they’ve shown us the Banished so far. There’s also something called the Harbinger.

Honestly I’d have had us fighting the banished instead of the remnant the whole trilogy. Jul’s faction didn’t even have a proper name (Storm was an xbox magazine mistake).

Not boring, just tame. Far too subdued for what I expect, and I hope to see more aggressive interactions when the game releases.

I know it’s hard with no real human/ opposing force for them to engage other than the Chief, but when the reworked Brutes were introduced in H3, we saw examples of the Brutes being particularly brutal, like the Brute kicking the marine into the warthog and rocking it back a few feet, or how it stomped the marine in the chest. Yes the Brutes charge, and throw grunts, but it still kinda seems tame for what I remember of Brutes.

And yes those events never made it into H3, and were shown as progress in a ViDoc, but I kinda expect to see that interaction 2 Gens later.

> 2598282106454479;17:
> Not boring, just tame. Far too subdued for what I expect, and I hope to see more aggressive interactions when the game releases.
>
> I know it’s hard with no real human/ opposing force for them to engage other than the Chief, but when the reworked Brutes were introduced in H3, we saw examples of the Brutes being particularly brutal, like the Brute kicking the marine into the warthog and rocking it back a few feet, or how it stomped the marine in the chest. Yes the Brutes charge, and throw grunts, but it still kinda seems tame for what I remember of Brutes.
>
> And yes those events never made it into H3, and were shown as progress in a ViDoc, but I kinda expect to see that interaction 2 Gens later.

there are still in game examples… plenty…
Crows nest has a few, seira has at least two…
and then even in cutscenes how they handle human prisoners is rather rough.

I find them uninteresting for outside of Halo Wars 2, their is no build up towards this faction in any Halo game. Personally I think that 343 should take a step back/Forward.
With what Cortana did in Halo 5(dont like H5 story at all ) this leads up to the Rebels having an advantage. With humanity struggling and stumbling, this would give them an edge. These over taxed farmers would make an interesting enemy for the UNSC is shown as the good guys due to the Covenant trying to yeet the entire Human Race.
Having Rebels, Flood, and possibly a more flushed out banished with new alien species would be interesting. Instead of Brutes and other known species, The banished should be races that the prophet deemed unworthy of the great journey. Now this would be interesting for we would fight opponents with brand new behaviors.

Side note: By the rings! Can we please have playable elites again? I’ve never been a elite guy but I miss my Sangheili bros

If the banished are the main antagonist then i find it very lacking in depth. BUT i feel like story is everything in this situation. You put a great story out their and you could make any of these factions work.

P.S. i will be very upset if i dont get to finish out halo 5 story. It would a be a huge disservice to players who invested in halo’s stories and games. Dont worry i know thats not a popular stance. But i dont like unfinished story lines in any game.