Anyone Else Disappointed With the 'Skulls'?

Knowing that they’re already unlocked from the get-go is honestly disappointing. I really don’t see why they’re even called skulls anymore. There isn’t a tangible skull to actually find. They’re just a modifier that’s available. Halo 3 did it right. Once you found one, it was available. Hell, 343i put skulls in CEA, so I don’t really understand why they couldn’t have just hidden them throughout the campaign. I know there’s terminals or other goodies, but those probably won’t change the game in any significant way. So they’re more-or-less as lame as the data pads in Reach were.

And for goodness sake, please, lets not call them skulls anymore. they just aren’t.

/end rant, bring the hate.

I will still call them skulls; it’s tradition, but, you’re right, it is rather disappointing.

Well, I am actually upset about it. Yeah, I can’t find them and have fun experiences like my buddies and I would do back in Halo 3, but hey…at LEAST I still have my IWBYD and Birthday Skullz!

There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.

> There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.

Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?

No skull hunting, no Sputnik skull, and no Bandanna skull. I am disappointed.

> > There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.
>
> Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?

The reason for it is that they didn’t have the time to implement it into the full game. Just saying, before people go crazy.

I don’t see an issue with not having a “skull” in game, halo 2 you had to collect them to use them, in ODST, and reach you had them from the start … Don’t start your “reach and ODST sucked” because that is not a valid argument as to why they HAD TO put skulls in 4, they didn’t feel the need to make you find them, they may bring them in with H5 but they just didn’t want to mess too much with bungies legacy, so respect their decision.

What both of you said.

You don’t earn the modifiers. They’re given.

"You want hidden lines of dialogue? You got it! You want high ranking enemies? Done!

In fact you can have all this and more right from the start for nothing!

And we’ll throw in some other unimportant stuff, too I guess…"

Halo 3, you at least had to do some searching. So now I’m going to have to go out of my way for extra bits of storyline. That’s fine, but really not what anyone wanted.

There really isn’t an incentive anymore to explore the areas, because the reward isn’t there.

> > > There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.
> >
> > Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?
>
> The reason for it is that they didn’t have the time to implement it into the full game. Just saying, before people go crazy.

Ugh, lame, but, I suppose it is a legitimate reason. So, what DO we see/read when we access terminals? And are the terminal videos unlocked for us on Waypoint (via linked Gamertags) as we proceed through campaign and finding them? Or are they all unlocked? It had better be the former…

I am extremely disappointed about it. Halo 2 and 3 were fun because you had to find them and could betray people by bashing.

> I don’t see an issue with not having a “skull” in game, halo 2 you had to collect them to use them, in ODST, and reach you had them from the start … Don’t start your “reach and ODST sucked” because that is not a valid argument as to why they HAD TO put skulls in 4, they didn’t feel the need to make you find them, they may bring them in with H5 but they just didn’t want to mess too much with bungies legacy, so respect their decision.

Reach and ODST didn’t suck.

I had figured since ODST was an expansion, they weren’t in there just because they were the same skulls as in H3.

I didn’t realize at the time that it was going to turn into a habit.

When Reach didnt have the skulls hidden, I was irked as Im sure some others were, too.

But then when CEA dropped, and had skulls, it pretty much made everyone think that 343i was going to continue with the tradition of EARNING the effects the skulls provide by actually finding them.

Taking the skulls out, it eliminates half of their original purpose: to explore, and getting a resounding reward for it. Giving us terminals to find instead is ridiculous.

> > > There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.
> >
> > Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?
>
> The reason for it is that they didn’t have the time to implement it into the full game. Just saying, before people go crazy.

If they hadn’t wasted time implementing silly things like perks and Double XP, more effort could’ve gone into the Campaign.

> > > > There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.
> > >
> > > Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?
> >
> > The reason for it is that they didn’t have the time to implement it into the full game. Just saying, before people go crazy.
>
> If they hadn’t wasted time implementing silly things like perks and Double XP, more effort could’ve gone into the Campaign.

Double exp is more of a promotional thing, so slamming 343 for that makes no sense. You WANT this game to be promoted.

Armor mods are debatable.

Graphic quality carries over into all three modes. It’s next gen tech demo everywhere in Halo 4, lots of effort went into this and the art. That’s not a waste of assets.

From what little i spoiled of the first two missions (and somewhat the third) of Halo 4, your comment is totally incorrect. Much effort was put into Campaign IMO.

OT: I was a bit disappointment that the skull hunting was not returning. I would have liked those and the terminals to be hunted down instead. Then again, we should have all seen this coming as there were zero achievements related to finding skulls. So it’s not enough to cry foul and burn BS Angel at the cross for.

Skull-wise, yes, I am disappointed.

I truly enjoyed Halo 3’s skull hunt. Not finding them, but getting to them (face it, 90% of us used YouTube).

I guess Sledgehammer had the right idea where 343 didn’t. Halo Anniversary had some awesome skull locations too.

Im pretty bummed. Skull hunting was extremely fun in H3 and I wish it would have made a return.

> > > > > There was a lot of bad reception regarding the lack of actual skulls when the bulletin hit, and I definitely think they should have just made the extra bit of effort to put them in. Having terminals to “scratch that itch” is complete nonsense on their part, especially since the terminal videos will only be accessible through Waypoint and on internet.
> > > >
> > > > Wait, the videos are ONLY accessible via waypoint? It isn’t ingame?? What ever DOES happen when you access a terminal in game?
> > >
> > > The reason for it is that they didn’t have the time to implement it into the full game. Just saying, before people go crazy.
> >
> > If they hadn’t wasted time implementing silly things like perks and Double XP, more effort could’ve gone into the Campaign.
>
> Double exp is more of a promotional thing, so slamming 343 for that makes no sense. You WANT this game to be promoted.
>
> Armor mods are debatable.
>
>
> Graphic quality carries over into all three modes. It’s next gen tech demo everywhere in Halo 4, lots of effort went into this and the art. That’s not a waste of assets.
>
> From what little i spoiled of the first two missions (and somewhat the third) of Halo 4, your comment is totally incorrect. Much effort was put into Campaign IMO.
>
>
> OT: I was a bit disappointment that the skull hunting was not returning. I would have liked those and the terminals to be hunted down instead. Then again, we should have all seen this coming as there were zero achievements related to finding skulls. So it’s not enough to cry foul and burn BS Angel at the cross for.

This Halo game probably has the most promotion than any before it. I mean, there’s two novels released about Halo 4’s backstory, every trailer is shown on the Home page of XBL and there’s a friggin’ MOVIE released in the form of snippets leading up to its release!

It doesn’t NEED petty things like Game Fuel or Doritos to make this game more well known!

The game may look large scale, but collectibles like Skulls, Terminals (that are shown IN-GAME) and Audio Files are the small things that go a long way. Hell, can you read a Halo 3: ODST review without the reviewer praising the Audio Files?

I was really hoping they would place the skulls in the campaign, and while I’m glad they continue the tradition, I thought it was better to find them.

> > I don’t see an issue with not having a “skull” in game, halo 2 you had to collect them to use them, in ODST, and reach you had them from the start … Don’t start your “reach and ODST sucked” because that is not a valid argument as to why they HAD TO put skulls in 4, they didn’t feel the need to make you find them, they may bring them in with H5 but they just didn’t want to mess too much with bungies legacy, so respect their decision.
>
> Reach and ODST didn’t suck.
>
> I had figured since ODST was an expansion, they weren’t in there just because they were the same skulls as in H3.
>
> I didn’t realize at the time that it was going to turn into a habit.
>
> When Reach didnt have the skulls hidden, I was irked as Im sure some others were, too.
>
> But then when CEA dropped, and had skulls, it pretty much made everyone think that 343i was going to continue with the tradition of EARNING the effects the skulls provide by actually finding them.
>
> Taking the skulls out, it eliminates half of their original purpose: to explore, and getting a resounding reward for it. Giving us terminals to find instead is ridiculous.

To add insult to injury, there aren’t even any new skulls. And as for the hunting “itch,” why not scrath it twice as hard with both skulls AND terminals, like CEA?

At least it isn’t starting Skulls with pointlessly hidden Data Pads that gave you no Achievements for finding them…

In other words, it sucks that the Skulls aren’t hidden, but at least the Domain Terminals give you Achievements for finding them.

Yeah, I didn’t even consider doing the datapads. There was just so much wrong with Reach’s campaign. I don’t know how Bungie could’ve called it their swan song to Halo.