Anyone Else Absolutely Adore The New Pelican?

Halo 4 Pelican Dropship

Halo 4 Pelican Gunship With Side Gunner Seats

The sleek look that affords a more aerodynamic shape. The addition of the four harrier-esque thrusters on bottom for precision maneuvering that the pivoting wings to not offer. Intakes that actually are large enough to provide the O2 requires for various applications. And the retractable/coverable nose cannon?

What I wouldn’t give to be able to fly one of these -Yoink!- little minxes in multiplayer.

Perhaps the gunship variant will replace the Falcon in multiplayer.

EDITED WITH IMAGE
EDIT 2

Perhaps the gunship variant will replace the Falcon in multiplayer.

> The sleek look that affords a more aerodynamic shape. The addition of the four harrier-esque thrusters on bottom for precision maneuvering that the pivoting wings to not offer. Intakes that actually are large enough to provide the O2 requires for various applications. And the retractable/coverable nose cannon?
>
> What I wouldn’t give to be able to fly one of these -Yoink!- little minxes in multiplayer.

To me it looks alot more like an orbit capable transport, which it is supposed to be.

The pelicans of the past have been fine, but this one really looks the business.

meh, it looks a little too bulky and heavy to me compared to past iterations, not that aerodynamic at all. That’s just my opinion though.

Screenshot plz?

also… Can we has vulture? ;-]

> also… Can we has vulture? ;-]

The word OVERPOWERED comes to mind :slight_smile:

> > also… Can we has vulture? ;-]
>
> The word OVERPOWERED comes to mind :slight_smile:

tell me you would not love to have a vulture based campaign or Spartan ops mission

> meh, it looks a little too bulky and heavy to me compared to past iterations, not that aerodynamic at all. That’s just my opinion though.

The pelican is an exoatmospheric VTOL. As such it is not meant to look like a jet in the aerodynamic fashion. More of that of a helicopter without rotors. It pulls this off swimmingly.

> Screenshot plz?

i want a picture…

no

Edited the OP with an image of it.

Added gunship image to op.

Possible Falcon replacement for multiplayer?

It’s cool!

> > meh, it looks a little too bulky and heavy to me compared to past iterations, not that aerodynamic at all. That’s just my opinion though.
>
> The pelican is an exoatmospheric VTOL. As such it is not meant to look like a jet in the aerodynamic fashion. It pulls this off swimmingly.

In space, aerodynamics mean nothing, because there is no air to slow you down. but in atmosphere, aerodynamics are essential. You want to have the most streamlined shape and contours in order to create a lower drag coefficient. if you look at the reach Pelican, the Falcon vs the Halo 4 pelican, the aerodynamics are much better on the former than the latter. because pelican is used as an air transport primarily, having good aerodynamics is essential to it functioning properly as a quick in and out transport on the battlefield(That and having good fuel efficiency so that it keep functioning for longer and be a better asset to ground side forces).

Have a look aerodynamics at the two for comparision:

Reach:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/334/1/1/reach_pelican_dropship_by_toraiinxamikaze-d366xq9.png

Halo 4:
http://i.imgur.com/TFSeL.png

> Added gunship image to op.
>
> Possible <mark>Falcon replacement for multiplayer?</mark>

negative. falcon is in multiplayer, it was confirmed long time ago.

> > also… Can we has vulture? ;-]
>
> The word OVERPOWERED comes to mind :slight_smile:

That thing was UP as hell in matchmaking, a single Vampire could completely stop it.

I absolutely love the new Pelican as much as the older ones. I’m really enjoying how 343 Industries is putting their own look on things, makes the game more fresh and unique.

This looks like it would fly like a Ball, just saying.

The older Pelicans actually had a wingspan, and was designed far more aerodynamically. Also, they had a distinct silhouette they left in the form of a shadow on the ground.

This thing has almost no wingspan, and all it’s mass is centred like a giant ball. I honestly couldn’t imagine it flying.

> > > meh, it looks a little too bulky and heavy to me compared to past iterations, not that aerodynamic at all. That’s just my opinion though.
> >
> > The pelican is an exoatmospheric VTOL. As such it is not meant to look like a jet in the aerodynamic fashion. It pulls this off swimmingly.
>
> In space, aerodynamics mean nothing, because there is no air to slow you down. but in atmosphere, aerodynamics are essential. You want to have the most streamlined shape and contours in order to create a lower drag coefficient. if you look at the reach Pelican, the Falcon vs the Halo 4 pelican, the aerodynamics are much better on the former than the latter. because pelican is used as an air transport primarily, having good aerodynamics is essential to it functioning properly as a quick in and out transport on the battlefield(That and having good fuel efficiency so that it keep functioning for longer and be a better asset to ground side forces).
>
> Have a look aerodynamics at the two for comparision:
>
> Reach:
> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/334/1/1/reach_pelican_dropship_by_toraiinxamikaze-d366xq9.png
>
> Halo 4:
> http://i.imgur.com/TFSeL.png

Yes there is no drag in space thus a brick-shape would be just as efficient.

However I have to disagree about the aerodynamic properties. The old Pelican could essentially be seen as a F-117(coincidence?) that has put on weight.

The new pelican is pretty much a Hind with thrusters. The only areas that feight the appearance of the lack of aerodynamics are the canopies and the air intake. The latter of which air passes through, not hit. Otherwise she is essentially a helicopter. What she was originally intended to be a replacement for.

> > > > meh, it looks a little too bulky and heavy to me compared to past iterations, not that aerodynamic at all. That’s just my opinion though.
> > >
> > > The pelican is an exoatmospheric VTOL. As such it is not meant to look like a jet in the aerodynamic fashion. It pulls this off swimmingly.
> >
> > In space, aerodynamics mean nothing, because there is no air to slow you down. but in atmosphere, aerodynamics are essential. You want to have the most streamlined shape and contours in order to create a lower drag coefficient. if you look at the reach Pelican, the Falcon vs the Halo 4 pelican, the aerodynamics are much better on the former than the latter. because pelican is used as an air transport primarily, having good aerodynamics is essential to it functioning properly as a quick in and out transport on the battlefield(That and having good fuel efficiency so that it keep functioning for longer and be a better asset to ground side forces).
> >
> > Have a look aerodynamics at the two for comparision:
> >
> > Reach:
> > http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/334/1/1/reach_pelican_dropship_by_toraiinxamikaze-d366xq9.png
> >
> > Halo 4:
> > http://i.imgur.com/TFSeL.png
>
> Yes there is no drag in space thus a brick-shape would be just as efficient.
>
> However I have to disagree about the aerodynamic properties. The old Pelican could essentially be seen as a F-117(coincidence?) that has put on weight.
>
> The new pelican is pretty much a Hind with thrusters. The only areas that feight the appearance of the lack of aerodynamics are the canopies and the air intake. The latter of which air passes through, not hit. Otherwise she is essentially a helicopter. What she was originally intended to be a replacement for.

I would point out that the pelican is a VTOL, which isn’t essentially a helicopter(That would have been a better thing to say if you were talking about the Falcon, which is a VTOL/Helicopter). I would point missed that the majority of the surfaces on the H4 pelican are flat and face forward, which in turn cause aerodynamic drag and slows down the aircraft and reduces fuel efficiency(And thus how useful it is on the battlefield). When you look at the reach pelican, you will see that there are almost no flat surfaces, most are angled in a way that decrease drag and allow the aircraft to function better in atmosphere. Since the atmosphere is where the pelican spends most of its time, having proper aerodynamics would be essential to its role. I would also point out the F117 is extremely aerodynamic(Have to be for stealth aircraft, which helps to reduce its radar cross section).