Anybody miss head-to-head?

Remember in Halo 2 how there was the head-to-head playlist option? I find myself missing that more and more in Reach. As time goes on, I find myself growing tired of always having to depend on getting a competent team if I want a good chance of winning. I never go into MM alone anymore because getting a decent team is a very hit-and-miss thing in Reach’s MM system. By the same token, I am tired of idling in the menu or playing Forge in the hopes that somebody will get on and play with me. I think adding a head-to-head playlist option would help alleviate this problem by allowing myself, and others like me, to go into MM without worrying about whether or not I’ll find a decent team when none of my friends are available to play. Hell, I remember I met some of my better XBL friends in Halo 2’s head-to-head. It was a fun experience, and I feel like it could work for Reach. Would anybody else be interested in such an option if it were added?

tl;dr: Head-to-head playlist option- what do you think?

Halo Reach isn’t the best game for 1v1’s

> Halo Reach isn’t the best game for 1v1’s

Actually, Reach is the best Halo for 1v1’s since Halo 2. Weapon spawn times are consistent and the abundance of forge maps makes it completely possible to have a good 1v1 playlist. 343 would just need to get the gametypes right.

I will use MLG 1v1’s as an example.

There are 3 good 1v1 maps in MLG Gametypes : Sanctuary, Zealot, and Element. Small maps with no hiding spots.
Settings include DMR / NR starts, 110 movement, and no radar. 1v1’s don’t work without a radar, that is what Bungie did wrong in Head to Head. They put in a marker over the leaders head to give the loser an advantage (lolwut).

> Halo Reach isn’t the best game for 1v1’s

I know. I still think that it would be a nice thing to have. I tend to have enough fun with 1v1’s in Reach. The game’s mechanics aren’t such that 1v1’s are unbearable. I think it could be done.

Scratch that, I meant to say that 1v1’s don’t work with Radar on. It takes away the mental game and makes camping ridiculously easy.

> Scratch that, I meant to say that 1v1’s don’t work with Radar on. It takes away the mental game and makes camping ridiculously easy.

I can see that. I don’t remember that being much of a problem in Halo 2, but at that point everybody crouch-walked to bypass the motion tracker anyway. I agree that the gameplay settings would most likely have to be slightly tweaked away from the default (I’d be happy with MLG settings), but I can see it working decently well if done right.

I do. A lot.
I also miss LW, MLG FFA, Mythic Brawl.
All those good ol’ playlists where you didn’t need to depend on anybody.

IMO 1v1’s in all Halo’s took little to no skill, but in Reach it’s sad to say that it’s the only thing that takes little to no skill. :wink:

> IMO 1v1’s in all Halo’s took little to no skill, but in Reach it’s sad to say that it’s the only thing that takes little to no skill. :wink:

I’m not talking about skill here, though. I’m talking about fun, which is highly subjective. To me, a head-to-head option would be great fun. I like the prospect of out-maneuvering my opponent, fighting for any power weapons there may be, and not having to worry about my opponent getting back-up when he’s been out-played.

I never played it in Halo 2 (just custom 1v1s) or for the limited time it was in 3, but I think it would be a cool addition to H4 that I’d enjoy.