Any word on classic matchmaking playlists?

By “Classic”, I initially mean no custom load-outs. Everyone must spawn with the same weapons/equipment or at least choose from 5 preset load-outs that only vary by AA (Reach).
Also, a player’s specializations have no actual effect on the gameplay within this playlist.

I wouldn’t mind if these options were available as I’m not sure if I’ll be able to easily acclimate to the big changes (what with there being no BETA and all that).

Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.

While I see that as being the most likely outcome, I sincerely hope you’re wrong.
I can understand them wanting to endorse their changes but I don’t want to believe that they’d completely shut out certain chunks of the fanbase to do it.

> By “Classic”, I initially mean no custom load-outs. Everyone must spawn with the same weapons/equipment or at least choose from 5 preset load-outs that only vary by AA (Reach).
> Also, a player’s specializations have no actual effect on the gameplay within this playlist.
>
> I wouldn’t mind if these options were available as I’m not sure if I’ll be able to easily acclimate to the big changes (what with there being no BETA and all that).

Your idea of ‘classic’ is different from mine or even someone else’s - I think that is what is going to be a problem…

I’d rather ‘classic’ started out with no loadouts / AA’s / Armor Mods at all - but if 343 implemented such playlists, would this not fracture the fanbase?

343 has already confirmed that Classic playlists will be in the game.

Well it was mentioned in a bulletin a few weeks ago (the one that listed all the specializations) that there would be playlists that would not feature them.

That is literally the only official word we’ve had on the notion of there being anything approaching a “Classic” experience in Halo 4.

I also really hope we get a lot more substantial information on this very soon, as some of these recently announced changes are literally mind-boggling.

> > By “Classic”, I initially mean no custom load-outs. Everyone must spawn with the same weapons/equipment or at least choose from 5 preset load-outs that only vary by AA (Reach).
> > Also, a player’s specializations have no actual effect on the gameplay within this playlist.
> >
> > I wouldn’t mind if these options were available as I’m not sure if I’ll be able to easily acclimate to the big changes (what with there being no BETA and all that).
>
> Your idea of ‘classic’ is different from mine or even someone else’s - I think that is what is going to be a problem…
>
> I’d rather ‘classic’ started out with no loadouts / AA’s / Armor Mods at all - but if 343 implemented such playlists, would this not fracture the fanbase?

I think most players who are actually really interested in Classic playlists would be perfectly happy for there to be no loadouts whatsoever, or at a push (though this is still a controversial topic and not one I’m completely sold on myself), a loadout option for choosing a primary weapon and that is all.

As to the notion of “fracturing the player base”, I don’t think it’s really a question of this. I think at this point, looking at how drastic some of these changes are, it’s a simple case of whether or not 343i actually want any fans of the Classic Halo experience to buy the game at all. If they’re happy to miss out on the revenue that attracting that element of the player base would generate, then fine; forget Classic playlists, but judging from the overall money-grabbing manner in which this title is being marketed, I’d be very surprised if they went down that route.

I can obviously only speak for myself here, but right now the odds of me actually buying this game at all - if there is not a detailed announcement of some kind of Classic playlists and what those playlists will entail very soon - are close to zero.

whats there to talk about? there is no armor abilities or loadouts or stuff like that, its just… classic Halo

I think the biggest problem for you guys who really want the classic playlists is that your difference in opinion varies quite a bit. I know there definatly won’t be tact packages or support upgrades, but I ve heard people say they’d want reach style loadouts with the same weapons and different AAs. I’ve also seen people say they wouldn’t mind different weapon loadouts but no AAs. Others have even stated they wouldn’t like sprint in classic but its unknown if it could be shut off at this time.

Yet another problem is if there are no loadouts what so ever what weapons will you start with, some say AR & magnum, others BR or DMR. The solution hear would probably have to relate to voting when picking a match; classic AR, classic BR, classic DMR.

A good thing to find out is how many classic playlists there will be, I’d say max would be 2 slayer and objective, 343 has stated that they want fewer playlists so players aren’t scattered across every which way. so there might only be 1 if thats the case the voting would be a slayer game a objective game and something else.

If I were you guys I’d create poll to get a feel for what people want from a classic playlists, it should ask about AAs, loadouts, weapons and slayer and objective playlists. Once all the data is gathered you’d have a better sense of what people want. The only problem after that is getting the info to 343, perhaps sending the findings to neogaf would be a good start.

Anyways good luck trying to figure out what the classic playlist will be like.

Nope, no news on classic playlists as far as I know.

> Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.

Riiiiiight. People like you really make this forum look terrible.

> > Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.
>
> Riiiiiight. People like you really make this forum look terrible.

I’m terribly sorry that I dare to have an opinion that isn’t in line with the rest of the hyped up crowds. I see the changes Halo 4 for what they are, not for what I’m told.

> > > Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.
> >
> > Riiiiiight. People like you really make this forum look terrible.
>
> I’m terribly sorry that I dare to have an opinion that isn’t in line with the rest of the hyped up crowds. I see the changes Halo 4 for what they are, not for what I’m told.

Having a different opinion is fine and dandy, don’t get me wrong. However, expressing it like you know exactly what 343’s objectives are and how none of it will make sense unless it’s what YOU think they should do is just plain childish and ridiculous.

343 has only said that there will be “classic” playlist.

I am hoping for barebones and/or BTB barebones playlists with no AAs, tac/supp upgrades and loadouts. These playlists would have both slayer and objective game modes. It should be enough for those who can’t stand the change.

> > > > Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.
> > >
> > > Riiiiiight. People like you really make this forum look terrible.
> >
> > I’m terribly sorry that I dare to have an opinion that isn’t in line with the rest of the hyped up crowds. I see the changes Halo 4 for what they are, not for what I’m told.
>
> Having a different opinion is fine and dandy, don’t get me wrong. However, expressing it like you know exactly what 343’s objectives are and how none of it will make sense unless it’s what YOU think they should do is just plain childish and ridiculous.

You’re only kidding yourself if you think 343i isn’t going to endorse their brand of Halo first and foremost. It makes sense, given that it’s practically in a “beta” stage and that it requires additional data to get right. Endorsing the classic Halo experience (which, I might add, should be easy to get right after 4 games of learning) can’t possibly net them any important data, disregarding population counts, since it’s already a finished product in many senses.

I only said that classic Halo made more sense than this new experience that they’ve been actively endorsing for the last 6 months because I see many of its elements to be incorrectly implemented for the type of game that they’re meant to applied to.

> > > > > Nope. They probably want to fully endorse these new changes so that people will play them for the first few months instead of something that actually makes sense.
> > > >
> > > > Riiiiiight. People like you really make this forum look terrible.
> > >
> > > I’m terribly sorry that I dare to have an opinion that isn’t in line with the rest of the hyped up crowds. I see the changes Halo 4 for what they are, not for what I’m told.
> >
> > Having a different opinion is fine and dandy, don’t get me wrong. However, expressing it like you know exactly what 343’s objectives are and how none of it will make sense unless it’s what YOU think they should do is just plain childish and ridiculous.
>
> You’re only kidding yourself if you think 343i isn’t going to endorse their brand of Halo first and foremost. It makes sense, given that it’s practically in a “beta” stage and that it requires additional data to get right. Endorsing the classic Halo experience (which, I might add, should be easy to get right after 4 games of learning) can’t possibly net them any important data, disregarding population counts, since it’s already a finished product in many senses.
>
> I only said that classic Halo made more sense than this new experience that they’ve been actively endorsing for the last 6 months because I see many of its elements to be incorrectly implemented for the type of game that they’re meant to applied to.

Of course they’re wanting their own take on Halo multiplayer to be on the forefront. I wouldn’t expect anything less. They want to build a sense of freshness, new tactics, new strategies, and new experiences on top of a foundation that’s been highly successful for several years. Sure, it’s quite the risk to alter an equation that’s worked for the most part for so long, but oftentimes, where there’s risk there is also reward.

Not everyone will agree. They can’t do everything right. They can’t satisfy everyone. But if they can offer a new version of Halo that satisfies most of the fanbase along with a separate classic experience for those who long for it, then what is there to lose? The features and changes that weren’t widely favored can be learned from and addressed in the future, be it updates or future titles.

No matter what happens, you can’t fault 343 for wanting to make their mark on the Halo franchise. For the most part, I think they’re doing a fanstastic job. Many agree, many disagree. But neither is right nor wrong. It’s all a matter of opinion.