Any tips for getting better at Halo in general?

I’ve only been playing Halo (Halo: Reach) since March of this year, never played any of the other Halo titles, and I’ve played and played and played some more, but I just don’t feel I’m getting any better. My K/D ratio is pretty low and most of my “Slayer” games I end up in the negative. So I’m wondering if there are any maps that have been forged for practice purposes or what I can do to improve my game. I play for fun, but it would be nice to get a higher amount of kills sometimes and have a more consistant game.

How did you get good at Halo, what helped you keep calm and not lose your head when just getting completely schooled by other players?

I’m not trying to get flamed here, I’m sincerely looking for tips to improve my game. Thanks in advance!

If it were easy then everyone would be good, but in a multiplayer shooter, someone has to die, its your job to make other players die before you do.

Team Swat is a very unforgiving playlist, if you play that, you can really get good with the DMR. Once you get good or decent, tune up your sensitivity. Every weapon and armor ability needs to be learned, the time for bloom to get an accurate shot, how to use armor ability’s and how to counter them. I say just playing custom games with friends is great practice.

If you think you’re bad then I suggest games that involve a lot of team work because they can be there to support you. You can’t just get good over night and I’m no way near as good as I’d like to be but Big Team Battle may help, if you play objective games, becoming a more tactical player can ‘up your game’ and you can get better like that too.

Camp with camo + shotgun.

Good advice so far. For my 2 cents,

There are 3 ways to play but based on 2 main categories: knowing how the weapons work or knowing how your enemy works. If you can learn both at the same time, then you probably don’t need help to begin with as those are signs of a natural gamer.

Playing Firefight will help you learn how to use the weapons and controller, as well as help speed up your mind for PvsP. If you want to actually learn everything about MP all at once by just hopping into MP straight away, good luck and I commend you for your zeal.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. I think a lot of my problem is I tend to just run off in my own direction and I end up getting double/triple/quadrupal teamed. I get impatient and just “run and shoot”. If I could learn to be more patient and be more “tactical” it would probably help as well.

I don’t expect to get good overnight by any means, I just don’t get to play as much as I would like (Full time job, wife and 3 kids) so when I do get to play I would just like to pick things to work on to improve my skills.

> Camp with camo + shotgun.

That is awful advise, a short range weapon with camo? The camo wouldn’t work very well anyway because you’d have to move to get a decent amount of kills. Try DMR and stay with your team…

I feel your pain, buddy, I am right there with you. I started playing Reach MM in February, and still feel like I have such a long way to go.

I have found that knowing the maps is key. When I first started playing I was running around without any idea of where I was and what was going on. So I started looking on youtube and watching videos of peoples gameplay and there are even some that go over callouts.

I have also recently joined a clan, and that is helping me know my weapons, understand bloom, learn how to crouch jump, and in general be more confident and just have fun.

Finally, one of the things I am doing is not looking at my stats every time after a match. I get so fixated on my K/D that it gets me frustrated and I believe it affects my gameplay.

Good luck!

> Thanks for the feedback so far folks. I think a lot of my problem is I tend to just run off in my own direction and I end up getting double/triple/quadrupal teamed. I get impatient and just “run and shoot”. If I could learn to be more patient and be more “tactical” it would probably help as well.
>
> I don’t expect to get good overnight by any means, I just don’t get to play as much as I would like (Full time job, wife and 3 kids) so when I do get to play I would just like to pick things to work on to improve my skills.

You don’t have to play more tactical to play smarter, you have to play more imaginatively to play smarter and maintain a sort of offensive.

You are right, rushing off by yourself is not a good idea. Unless you’ve gained the experience to do so of course. You don’t have to stay tight to a teammate but you should be close. Try not to make yourself either a grenade or sniper bonus by being too close or running in straight lines behind a teammate.

Play at least a game or 2 of Gruntpocolypse or Snipers in FF so that you can get “warmed” up because you don’t play consistently enough to maintain a muscle memory-lock on everything.

Something that may help is look up videos on youtube. Watch Anoj’s Top 10, Roosters Fails of the Weak and pretty much any montage or collection that tweaks your fancy. Watch them with the kids if they’re allowed :wink: But study what happens and try to lock in your head the patterns that lead to some of the moments that are completely awesome or completely failtacular. And then of course either repeat with your own flair or avoid the circumstances that lead to a fail.

Most players that play often actually become just like computer controlled AI. They have what’s called preferred player patterns that are no different in function than the pre-determined movesets available to the AI ingame. Sure someone may be able to outperform you in agility, but what agile AI can’t be overcome with smart playing? It’s only the adaptive players with agile reflexes that prove a problem. And rightfully so.

–Always have a plan of attack. Never run around mindlessly always have a goal in mind like covering a teammate, controlling/timing the power weapons, flanking if the opportunity presents itself, remember Idle time is your enemy, there is ALWAYS something you can be doing to help your team.
-Be agressive- Especially in Reach where you have AA’s that allow you too and get easier kills. If your using camo the radar jam is very valuable and you should use it just before you enter enemy radar range, or if you have a sniper or shotgun use it to make yourself camo on the map like when you see an enemy approaching you. Evade+sprint can be used for flanking and would be the ideal choice for a more aggressive style of play which is why I always choose them. They also allow you to escape teamshot and make it so you can risk more as a player with the greater movement cababilities. Obviously in CQB the sprint or evade double beatdown is what you want to do if you dont have an effective CQB weapon or the enemy is no aware of your presence.Evade is always better then sprint and is the best AA in the game for a skilled player. Armor lock is obviously very effective in CQB so using it on smaller maps is optimal.
Use it in combination with a teammate covering you and you have a very effective bait and switch tatic no matter how cheap it is. It also is useful on BTB maps sometimes when theres alot of vehicles flying around going for splatters. Jetpack is the ideal AA for open maps like Reflection and Uncaged. It will give you a HUGE advantage in getting power weapons and allows you to surprise an enemy by coming out of nowhere to kill them. The tatic I use with it it jetpack in bursts to conserve fuel and zigzag over the map when you spot an enemy and most of the time you will be able to open fire on him with preferably your DMR and get the first couple shots in before he gets his aimer on you. Its also very effective for surprise nade attacks so if the enemy is not aware of you nade him and then start shooting making for a easy and quick kill.

–Time power weapons, maximize their potential with AA’s.In Halo Reach power weapons are really OP when used in combination with certain AA’s take advatange of that. Sprint+sword/shotgun or any CQB weapon is a deadly combination and really easy to get kills with. What you want to do is play in stealth mode until you see them on your radar and then just start the sprint or evade at him and he will not have much chance of killing you. If It is the sword throw a jump in there at the end as you will get a extra high jump with the sprint and the enemy will have no chance. Camo+sniper is obviously also really OP as the enemies cannot see you on the map, allowing you to take as much time as you want to line up headshots. Ive seen people get 20 out of 20 headshots just by using the sniper+camo. Jetpack+DMR and nades is also a very effective combo. Having the huge height advantage makes headshots easier and makes nades easier to land. Needler+jetpack and Noob combo(PP+DMR)+jetpack are also very effective as the escaping the needles from a jetpacker is very hard unless you are fully aware. Holgram is only really effective in sniper to expose enemy sniper postitions.

• Always have a plan of escape- With Reach and the movement AA’s+weaker and more random weapons this is not as important, but gauge the distance between you and cover effectively so you can escape with if you are overwhelmed with enemy fire. Make the enemy corner you for a 1v1 to kill you dont give them any easy kills. This is especially important on maps like Sanctuary where duck shooting and bait and switch tactics are prominent and staying near cover to hold the setup is a must. Never engage enemies 1v2 in Reach unless they are weak or you have a teammate with you, there is little chance you will pull it off. When using the precision weapons, needler,plasma pistol, and grenade lancher you always want to expose as little as yourself as possible so you have a quick retreat unless you have the number advantage. For example on Sanctuary instead of going in the open on needler rifle spawn to shoot enemies near the flank rock side, use the jump rock window as you have a quick escape and you will not be team-shotted.

–Get better, by playing people better then you. Whether it be MLG, Arena, or custom games against frirends that you have that are skilled if you want to get better you will have to play against players that are better then you. At first, you will be frustated but YOU WILL IMPROVE. Things like 5-6 shotting with the DMR will come more natural to you, your reactions will be faster, and you will become a battle-hardened Halo veteran.

-Evaluate your performance- A golfer doesnt get better by practicing the same flawed swing over and over again he corrects it to get better. Its the same with Halo, limit your mental mistakes and ask yourself after tough games what you could of done better. Whether it was playing too pasively or playing to much like a lone wolf there is always mistakes you make in game that you can try to limit the next time you play. You want to have your own unique playstyle, but there are some things all good Halo players do that you must do if you want to get better.

-Have fun! Halo is a game after all, and getting better is the funnest thing to do in a game. You will feel more powerful in game the better you get, and the game wil actually become more fun as you are not getting pwned as much lol. You will get to experience the game in its entirety and learn all the complexities which is fun. Like most things in this world, the better you are at something the more fun you will have.

Its great to see someone trying to get better at the game, Halo is a really fun game when played competitvely!

In regards to MM, Im in the same boat, but Ive learned a lot through campaign to help out. PLaying on Legendary required me to really think some locations through, learn the different weapons, and it certainly helped me improve on ranged weapons.

> I’ve only been playing Halo (Halo: Reach) since March of this year, never played any of the other Halo titles, and I’ve played and played and played some more, but I just don’t feel I’m getting any better. My K/D ratio is pretty low and most of my “Slayer” games I end up in the negative. So I’m wondering if there are any maps that have been forged for practice purposes or what I can do to improve my game. I play for fun, but it would be nice to get a higher amount of kills sometimes and have a more consistant game.
>
> How did you get good at Halo, what helped you keep calm and not lose your head when just getting completely schooled by other players?
>
> I’m not trying to get flamed here, I’m sincerely looking for tips to improve my game. Thanks in advance!

1. strength in numbers

2. learn which weapons work best for different situations

3. learn power weapon locations

4. learn respawn times for power weapons

5. communicate with your team - learn map location callouts, ie; “top mid” or “sniper tower”

The best thing a beginner could do is beat all the Halo games on Legendary alone.

Once you’ve accomplished this you will have improved greatly at the game as a whole, and you will be capable of learning more advanced multiplayer strategy.

My words of advice.

1. Keep your cool, you will encounter death hundreads of time as long as someone elses Yoink! in your face. Don’t get angry and gain a personal Vendetta with who killed you. You will find yourself die again and again if you go to the same spot because the person who killed you took your sniper or something.

2. Use your radar. At first it is hard to keep an eye on your radar and you may offen forget.

3. Never chase a kill. If you have stripped a Spartan of his or her shields and he has managed to go around a corner. DO NOT FOLLOW. Use a grenade if you have any or if you feel as if you can get him or her, keep your distance when chasing after them to avoid any grenades or a shotgun to the face.

4. Practice makes perfect. Just general playing will get you better.

5. Don’t waste grenades, this isn’t Call of duty when you can spam a grenade and get a cheap kill. Use them wisely. Draw in an enemy around a corner, pop a grenade at the right time then finish him off with lead.

first, some credentials: ive been playing halo since halo CE. i have a level 50 on my first account in halo 3.

onward!

some things to keep in mind:

1.) in halo reach teamwork is more important than individual skill. in other halo games you could basically just run around the map and be a champion and get kills by out gunning / out playing people. in halo reach, on the other hand, being a better shooter and strategist simply isnt enough. if you want to do well, you need to get a teammate (hopefully a friend, because randoms dont listen for -Yoink-) and stick with him.

try this: when you see someone, shoot him a few times with your DMR or Needle Rifle (which you should always try to find, and memorize where they spawn). when you are 1 shot away from having no shields, simply walk behind cover and have your teammate clean the kill up with relative ease. halo reach plays SUPER SLOW, so this will work almost always.

2.) are you INCREDIBLE at aiming? if not, bump up your sensitivity to 10. thats right, TEN. what this will do is train your thumb muscles to make you a LOT more precise with your movements VERY FAST, and essentially make quick work of fine-tuning your aiming prowess. if you stay at a low sensitivity you will eventually get better at aiming. if you bump it to 10 sensitivity, you will get better A LOT faster. use this sensitivity for 2 months AT LEAST (the more you do this the better you’ll get). if you feel you can control the 10 sensitivity with ease after 2 months, switch your sensitivity to 4 or higher. i would stay away from 3 sensitivity because it makes sniping a lot harder, especially since people can sprint in reach.

3.) learn to use your radar at all times. words cannot possibly express the sheer power that the radar will give a good player.

make sure you are ALWAYS aware of what is going on in your radar. it is INCREDIBLY important that you pay CLOSE attention to your radar at ALL TIMES. if you are 2 shots up in a DMR battle, eventually you’ll be able to glance at your radar while you continue to DMR the other person, then get the kill with the added knowledge of what to do next from glancing at your radar.

learn the maps. if you see someone on your radar often times you can stop moving, then wait for them to walk in their straight line to the choke point or door, etc. then simply bank a grenade off the wall, or off the floor 2 feet in front of you, and have it explode when they come thru the doorway. after the grenade explodes, headshot the person with your DMR / Needle rifle / Pistol. halo reach grenades are like mini nukes that are damn near impossible to dodge. because of this, you can use this -Yoink- tactic to get a lot of kills with relative ease.

if you are running towards an area, and you see a red blip on your radar STOP MOVING, then CROUCH, and continue. hopefully the person you are with will follow your lead, or just give him a heads up to crouch. when you are crouched or not moving, you will NOT show up on radar. this makes it a lot easier to sneak up behind people and either assassinate them, or punish them for not paying better attention to their surroundings.

4.) when you can pick evade, ALWAYS pick it. evade is by far the most powerful armor ability. others might tell you different, but they are wrong (sorry ‘others’ lol). when you learn to master evade, you can get out of damn near any situation, no matter how hairy it gets, and even escape with a few kills under your belt also.

try evading behind someone to their left or to their right, then evading again behind their back. this will make them spin around to face behind them, and you wont be there, you’ll be in a different spot already shooting them. this is especially helpful if you have already shot them a few times. the best way to describe this is a V shape. you start at the point of the V, (they are in the direct center of the V), then evade behind them, then complete the V. they will be so bamboozled you’ll get a kill almost every time this way. heck, if you are good you can even get kills this way when you have no shields lol!

make sure if you see a grenade coming at you, you evade right away. dont try to get another shot in, or throw a grenade first, or any nonsense like that. dodging a grenade always takes priority. if you see a guy with a rocket launcher, evade right away, to make more distance between you and him. you might even have to evade twice to fully escape the rocket launcher guy, and put yourself in a better position to kill him.

5.) avoid melee battles like the PLAGUE. NEVER should you try to get into a melee battle with someone. they are too inconsistent, and dont reward skillful play. if both players melee each other twice, both players are dead. its much better to simply stay away from people.

remember that some of the time, SHOOTING IS NOT VIABLE, when people are sprinting at you. it takes 4 shots with the DMR, or pistol to down someones shields (the pistol fires SUPER FAST, so use it at close range since its incredible there); after you land 4 shots on someone, you’ll see their shields pop, then you can melee them for a kill. if they are super close to you already, then they start sprinting for the ‘double melee’, DONT SHOOT THEM AT ALL. simply wait, then melee them when you can, then jump BACKWARDS (away from them), and shoot them in the face with your pistol / needle rifle / DMR.

@urza,
Great advice, thanks.

> @urza,
> Great advice, thanks.

Aside from the conjectures on the reasons for why things are, it is.

Thanks to all that responded with their tips and advice. I greatly appreciate it!

I was tempted to post this at the Bungie.net forums, but I see how those guys act over there. I sincerely hope these forums stay clean and helpful in the future.

I suck, especially in MM, but always try to be as helpful as I can. If I can put a few rounds into that Brute from over your shoulder, Im having fun.

> Thanks to all that responded with their tips and advice. I greatly appreciate it!
>
> I was tempted to post this at the Bungie.net forums, but I see how those guys act over there. I sincerely hope these forums stay clean and helpful in the future.

And thank you OP for starting this thread in the first place, I have learned so much already. I wish I didn’t have to wait to put some of these tactics I’ve learned to use: (i.e. still need to conquer all Halos in Legendary, the V shape evade manuever, using 10 sensitivity, and stop the melee battles), to name just a few.

Also I really want to get used to using more than just Sprint, the post by DesktopBarrel2 really helped to emphasize the importance of that.

So all in all, I want to thank all of you gentlemen for taking the time and effort of creating such well thought out and informative posts. I would like to keep you informed on how these tactics help me improve, and I hope the OP will do so as well.