Any novels that aren't necessary?

Are there any novels that aren’t neccessary that I can skip? I’m reading The Fall of Reach right now and I just got done with the battle of Sigma Octanus IV. I’m starting to reach the end of the book and I’m looking at the next novel to read. Is Halo: The Flood a neccessary novel to read or is it simply a novelization of Halo CE? Also, from what I’ve heard its best to stay away from the Kilo-5 trilogy, so can I please have some recommendations for the next novel to read?

I wouldn’t say any of the books are stoppable and none should be explicitly avoided.

It depends - what are you looking for in your Halo knowledge?

Also, The Flood is a retelling of Halo CE, but it includes many different characters’ viewpoints - an Elite, a Grunt, an ODST, a half-infected Combat Form of a marine, Jacob Keyes, and of course Chief himself. If you’re worried it’s just going to repeat the game’s events, think again - it actually really widens the scope of the Battle of Installation 04.

I might recieve some hate but I’d recommend that you read Kilo-5. Now I had my own problems with it lore wise. But until it’s fully retconned I’d read kilo-5 more for the characters. As the trilogy shows that Huragok (Engineers) are more then just floating mindless … thingys. However Read all the books if your a lore junkie.

If you really don’t want to read all of the books, you should at least read The Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. Then Contact Harvest and Greg Bear’s Forerunner trilogy. Those are the mandatory ones. The Flood isn’t bad, though it does get repetitive at times.

Is Kilo 5 as bad as people make it out to be or is it just not the best out of the bunch?

kilo five books are meh imo. Forerunner saga is the most important one when it comes to understanding the lore and it’s fantastically written. fall of reach and the main books are in between.

> 2533274889350043;6:
> Is Kilo 5 as bad as people make it out to be or is it just not the best out of the bunch?

It depends on what you’re looking for but yeah, it’s pretty bad. Oftentimes rage-inducingly so. They’d be an okay series of novels if they didn’t have anything to do with Halo but judged as a part of the Halo universe, they’re terrible.

When you finish Ghosts of Onyx, read Glasslands. It is the first of the Kilo-V trilogy, and continues the story of the characters from Ghosts of Onyx. Read it for that at least, and if you like Naomi, Osman, Jul and all of those characters then you should read the second and third. At least give Glasslands a read and judge for yourself, plus you will be invested in half the characters.

Okay, will I get my answer as to how Linda became part of Blue Team? At the part I’m at, she’s the squad leader of Green Team. Will this be answered in Fall of Reach or in a later book?

> 2533274889350043;10:
> Okay, will I get my answer as to how Linda became part of Blue Team? At the part I’m at, she’s the squad leader of Green Team. Will this be answered in Fall of Reach or in a later book?

They switch up teams and sometimes mash them together. In one book it shows that Green Team and Blue Team were working together as Blue Team. I would just read a bit more haha.

If you’re primarily interested in Blue Team and its members, then definitely read:

Fall of Reach
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands

Also, there’s an Arc in Halo: Escalation that deals specifically with Blue Team.

Halo: The Flood isn’t so necessary to read. It’s just a retelling of Halo: Combat Evolved, except with some added context including the perspective of the Covenant at the time. Halo: Evolution isn’t essential for understanding the backstory since it’s just an anthology of short-stories set in the Halo universe. The mains books I’d encourage you to read are:

FORERUNNER SAGA
Halo: Cryptum
Halo: Primordium
Halo: Silentium

BLUE TEAM
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx

KILO-V
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: The Thursday War
Halo: Mortal Dictata

I’m currently unsure about Newblood since that may tie into Halo 5. But you’re pretty safe reading the rest of what’s on this list.

> 2533274889350043;1:
> Are there any novels that aren’t neccessary that I can skip? I’m reading The Fall of Reach right now and I just got done with the battle of Sigma Octanus IV. I’m starting to reach the end of the book and I’m looking at the next novel to read. Is Halo: The Flood a neccessary novel to read or is it simply a novelization of Halo CE? Also, from what I’ve heard its best to stay away from the Kilo-5 trilogy, so can I please have some recommendations for the next novel to read?

You should skip no books or comics or graphic novels or guides or encyclopedias except for Halo Evolutions volume 1. Volume 1 and 2 are basically the same and differ only in 1 story. Meanwhile the exclusive story of the first volume has been turned into a motion comic while Wages of Sin is exclusive to volume 2. That story contains references to the Forerunner Saga to an extent and is different from the Spartan team thing we usually get as it involves a San’Shyuum minister reflecting on his sins.

Now my recommendations.
(PS: Use Halopedia and not the Halo wikia)

BLUE TEAM
Fall of Reach Definitive Edition
The Flood Definitive Edition
The First Strike

FORERUNNERS
Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium

Important UNSC/Covenant
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
Evolutions 2
Broken Circle (Kilo 5 retcons)
New Blood (continuation of the story of Buck’s squad)
Evolutions 1 (better get 2 and watch Headhunters online)

Kilo-5 (Warning canon inconsistencies in this series fixed in later books/media)
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata

Comics:
Fall of Reach (Boot camp, Covenant, Invasion)
Initiation
Uprising
Blood Lines
Escalation (Kilo 5 retcons + leads to Halo 5 as SpOPs season 2)
The Graphic Novel
Halo Wars Genesis
Cradle of Life

Encyclopedias:
Halo Encyclopedia 2011 edition
Halo 4 visual guide
Halo: The Essential Visual Guide
Universe encyclopedia (found for free on Waypoint, it includes canon fodder and the universe articles and is updated weekly. It also has amazing content)

Other:
11th Hour reports (can be found on Halopedia)
Data Drop (can be found on Halopedia)
Catalogue Q&A (can be found on Halopedia)
Twitter answers from 343i (can be found on Halo Archive and Halopedia but it’s kinda hard to track those)
Conversations from the Universe (can be found on Halopedia)

Visual:
Halo Legends
Halo Nightfall + second stories
Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
Halo CE Anniversary terminals
Halo 3 terminals (found on Halopedia)
Halo 4 terminals
Halo 2 Anniversary terminals
Head Hunters

UPCOMING
Hunters in the Dark (June 15th)
Halo: Saint’s Testimony (July)
Halo: Last Light (September)
Halo: Shadow of Intent (December)

Well, most of the novels have stories that are canon…so I guess you can’t skip many.

Read them in this order.

Fall Of Reach > The Flood > First Strike > Ghost’s of Onyx > Kilo 5 Trilogy (At least read glasslands to learn what happened after GoO)

Those are the ones I would say every halo fan should read.

There are more books as well though. I have read all of them the except newest the ones and the forerunner trilogy. If you are going to get into these books is doesn’t matter what order you read them but they are all great.

Contact Harvest is about the the first ever contact with the covenant. It features Sgt Johnson which is awesome.

Cole Protocol is about a human city built onto a bunch of asteroids. The city is run by rebels who work with the jackels. It also features Thel Vadamee when he was a zealot, Commander Jacob Keyes and Spartan Grey Team who are on a secret mission for ONI, hiding amongst the rebels.

Broken Circle is just a load of covenant fun. It’s about a group of Elites who rebelled against the covenant 3000 years before Halo CE, and how these events would lead to the collapse of the covenant in 2552. It features some of,if not the best covenant characters ever found in Halo media. A prophet named Zo is probably my favourite. He is kind to the elites while the other prophets plan to betray them.

I would read them all. They have interesting info that you probably would not know by just playing the game.

> 2533274889350043;1:
> Are there any novels that aren’t neccessary that I can skip? I’m reading The Fall of Reach right now and I just got done with the battle of Sigma Octanus IV. I’m starting to reach the end of the book and I’m looking at the next novel to read. Is Halo: The Flood a neccessary novel to read or is it simply a novelization of Halo CE? Also, from what I’ve heard its best to stay away from the Kilo-5 trilogy, so can I please have some recommendations for the next novel to read?

Skip most of the MC parts. Focus on the parts where it’s the Marine/ Covenant perspective of the battles. Only then does Halo: The Flood becomes a good read.

The Kilo-5 books (the ones I’ve read so far), aren’t just unnecessary. They deserve to be ignored.